CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I missed it but was it stated anywhere how her brother gained access to her home to check for her? Or did LE enter the home with her brother? IIRC, her brother was the one who said her purse & cell phone were missing but nothing else. Does her brother live local to her?

I caught that too. I was surprised he said that. It just adds a whole new level of odd to an already unusual relationship. If she is spending nights at her fiances house with the baby, why don't they get married or live together? Are her parents going to claim next that she slept in a different room from PF? But they have a baby and are engaged? I mean, if she already had her house before this relationship started it would be one thing for them to maintain separate residences-- sometimes it's difficult to sell a house right away, but she just bought the house in May. And this relationship has been going on for 2 years? Either this is a very rocky relationship-- on again, off again kind of thing-- Or parents are in denial and they were never getting married. I'm not judging how a couple with a baby wants to live their life, but at least be open about what the actual situation is and don't sugarcoat it while Kelsey is missing. Was this a contentious relationship or not?

MOO.

I find the housing situation odd also. Especially since the housing market has been absolutely CRAZY in CO over the last 4 years. We bought a home in CO Springs 4 years ago (just 17 miles away from Woodland Park) and sold it in May of this year as well. It really is a seller's market in that part of the state. When we sold, houses were going for 10-30k over asking price on the reg (on already inflated prices) because there is such a high demand, and I imagine that it would have been just as bad if not worse in a small community such as Woodland Park. It just seems like a such an undo financial strain for her to buy a separate house in that area, at peak market, if the couple were on good terms.

I suppose she stayed in Woodland Park because of the childcare situation, because it is WAY more expensive to live there than in Pueblo, where she worked. Pueblo gets a bad rap but there are some really nice and affordable neighborhoods there, as well as between Pueblo and Woodland Park...

Sorry to ramble - it's my first post as it's the first time I've had something sort of relevant to say that hadn't already been brought up (I don't think so anyway).

*edit - grammer

Last edited:
I hope an attorney will weigh in here about CO child custody laws. In many states, an unmarried mother has full custody. The father has to go to court and establish parentage and a parenting plan but taking away full custody from a working mother who isn't unfit would be very, very difficult. JMO

Agreed.

On the other hand, if the mother has disappeared, I would think that the father would have custody without having to go to court (unless he was challenged by the mother's relatives).

There are fathers who want full custody simply because they do not want to pay child support (IMO).

Agreed.

On the other hand, if the mother has disappeared, I would think that the father would have custody without having to go to court (unless he was challenged by the mother's relatives).

There are fathers who want full custody simply because they do not want to pay child support (IMO).
And grandmother's too-

If it was a planned thing, what was the next step in the plan? After the "time off from work" week was up, then what? Surely anyone with a plan would have a plan for when people started questioning Kelsey's disappearance. Maybe the "shrug" response we seem to be seeing was the plan? Or let people assume she self-harmed and can't be found?

IDK....I'm thinking it was spur-of-the-moment happening and then a long weekend for cover up, but I'm also considering other options.

Total speculation, not fact.

jmopinion at the moment, subject to change.

I think the “plan” was to buy as much time as possible between her disappearance and the time her disappearance was discovered. Time is the best friend of someone who has committed a violent crime. So far, it hasn’t been a bad plan (if there was one) since it doesn’t appear that any evidence has been collected. Sending the text messages also allows people to suspect she chose to disappear as some have suggested here. No body, no evidence of a crime, time for tapes to be recorded over, time to calm down and settle into a story.

I’m not convinced this was planned either but I’m leaning that way mostly because we aren’t seeing signs of panic or injury like I’d expect if it was sudden. JMO

Agreed.

If he is listed on the birth certificate, then he has the same legal custody as the mother, married or not. No further court order would be required.

So, I have been lurking on this site for years and years and have never posted anything, so go easy on me please. I was just thinking, what if she needed help for drug or alcohol problems, placed her child in a safe place and went to go get help? This theory would answer a few questions in my mind.

The Walker Center
Residential Treatment
605 11th Ave East
Gooding, ID 83330
Of course anything is possible. The thing that sticks with me the most is why she would take the time to inform her employer that she was going to be gone for a while, but not her own family

Agreed.

If his name is not on the birth certificate, I think he may still have to formally request a court give him custody. Jake Wagner had to do it and did get it in Ohio. He's now been charged with murder of his child's mother.

Which is why I hope a CO attorney chimes in and let's us know what the law is in CO. There is no good reason for PF to refuse to allow the maternal grandmother to see the child. Yet another red flag. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda