CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Constitutional right to a fair trial and some people, quite reasonably, could believe that doesn't mean every nosy nelly at home has a right to watch every second of it.

Ha! Kind of like some case followers believe detectives should be giving them detailed updates of every piece of evidence or potential evidence found and taking their instruction on how to investigate the crime (because of course the detectives must not know how to do this) ;)

12 jurors, 4 alternates selected for Kelsey Berreth murder case

SABBM:

Each of the 90 potential jurors who were asked to return to the Teller County Courthouse following individual questioning earlier this week gathered in the Div. 11 courtroom Friday morning for probing by both the prosecution and defense. Fourth Judicial District Attorney Dan May asked multiple jurors whether they could believe a witness if they took a plea bargain.

Adam Stiegerwald, one of Frazee’s public defenders, asked the potential jurors repeatedly if they had seen media coverage of the case, and if that would impact their impartiality. At this point, all of the information released to the media has come from the prosecution, including the arrest affidavit and multiple search warrants.

“Do you think people who haven’t seen the news would give a fairer trial?” Steigerwald asked the potential jurors.

BBM: And this was the moment the juror looked inside his or her heart and said, how much do I want to go home? Because one answer will send you home, and one answer will keep you on the jury.

With respect, it is open to the public. Anyone can walk right in. The Court is full of reporters who are reporting multiple times a day. Who will write detailed pieces reporting on and explaining what happened during the day. What you want are not public trials but live-streamed trials on television. Many of our Bill of Rights protections stem from the English and early American trend of show trials where defendants were not given fair hearings but rather served as pawns for overzealous attorneys. There is a Constitutional right to a fair trial and some people, quite reasonably, could believe that doesn't mean every nosy nelly at home has a right to watch every second of it.

But all the nosy nellys have to do is go to court, since it's open, right?

With respect, it is open to the public. Anyone can walk right in. The Court is full of reporters who are reporting multiple times a day. Who will write detailed pieces reporting on and explaining what happened during the day. What you want are not public trials but live-streamed trials on television. Many of our Bill of Rights protections stem from the English and early American trend of show trials where defendants were not given fair hearings but rather served as pawns for overzealous attorneys. There is a Constitutional right to a fair trial and some people, quite reasonably, could believe that doesn't mean every nosy nelly at home has a right to watch every second of it.

Listen, if it were up to me, I'd bring back public hangings in the town square.

If you were to replace the words "nosy nelly" with "concerned citizen," I'd be inclined to agree with your point.

JMO.

Last edited:

Understood.

I'd settle for live tweeting but video coverage would be best because just like the "telephone game" in grade school, things get lost and twisted. Especially if they cant even report by text from the courtroom as things happen.

But you are correct that the courtroom itself is technically "open" if you happen to live there and can get in the door before it fills up. Which totally limits the number of people who can really witness the trial. My feeling is since there is technology today that allows interested parties to view or report on a case while its happening, then why limit that capability when there should be no reason to do so.

Anyway, its not going to change for this case so we have to wait for the next break when a news reporter can get to their news truck. :)

Just checking in...Yay!! Jury is seated and opening statements soon. Anxiously waiting to hear the re-cap of what was said in court along with all of you. It's going to be a LONG 2 1/2 - 3 hours from now! This thread will be busting!

(Thanks to everyone for the updates...I know I won't get through all of the posts)

Listen, if it were up to me, I'd bring back public hangings in the town square.

If you substitute the words "concerned citizen" for "nosy nelly," I'd be inclined to agree with your points, though.

JMO.

Right but people are acting like this is a secret FISA Court hearing where no one will ever find out how the judge rules. Providing entertainment to the public is not one of the core values of our criminal justice system. I get why people are upset, I like watching trials I don't have to work on too, but the rules are pretty reasonable in the terms of what happens in the average case.

The outcome of this trial does not affect anyone who is not involved. I'm more sympathetic when people make these arguments about Supreme Court cases or appellate hearings where challenges to actual statutory laws that affect our daily lives are argued and decided. At the end of the day, this is entertainment. A guilty verdict isn't more or less meaningful whether or not you got to watch a trial streamed on TV.

Carol McKinley on Twitter
There was great concern from the defense about being able to discern betw facts and circumstantial evidence. #patrickfrazee was very interested in each potential juror, especially one who showed concern for him as a father. Trial should take 3 weeks. @ABC @Clayton_Sandell
1:04 PM - 1 Nov 2019

Carol McKinley on Twitter
Frazee’s mother and sister plus a few friends are in the courtroom.
1:04 PM - 1 Nov 2019
Concen for him as a father *
gag

[URL="https://twitter.com/lancebenzel/status/1190345867695251456"]Lance Benzel on Twitter[/URL]
#PatrickFrazee listened carefully and consulted with his attorneys as they decided whom to kick. He’s dressed in a blue striped Western-style shirt with pearl buttons, open at collar with T-shirt showing. Definitely a “cowboy at the wedding” vibe. @csgazette
1:12 PM - 1 Nov 2019

This media person reminds me of wild about Trial (aka WAT) that was so funny when he covered the Jodi Arias trial. Everybody was wearing salmon colored clothing.

Lance Benzel on Twitter
#PatrickFrazee listened carefully and consulted with his attorneys as they decided whom to kick. He’s dressed in a blue striped Western-style shirt with pearl buttons, open at collar with T-shirt showing. Definitely a “cowboy at the wedding” vibe. @csgazette
1:12 PM - 1 Nov 2019
I get the feeling that he’d dress the same way at a funeral. Little does he know though, he’s attending his own.

Seattle1 said:
Opening Statements at 2pm MST

1 pm PST
3 pm CST
4 pm EST
8 pm London
10pm Latvia
3 am Bangkok (Saturday)
9 am Auckland (Saturday)

edited by me ^^

steeltowngirl said:
Cool!
Do we have any roll call folks present from outside the US? (I’m USA)

Raising my hand here - outside the US -
animated-smileys-waving-004.gif

Opening statements start here at 10pm - unfortunately, that's my bedtime - so I'll have to catch up with you all tomorrow.... keep good notes! :D

I believe @Niner is in Latvia. I'm not sure.

Yep - Eastern European Time...
Good night all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members