CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOV 1, 2019
Jury seated in Patrick Frazee murder trial in Teller County, Colorado
Over and over, potential jurors in Patrick Frazee’s murder trial said Friday they grappled with the enormity of the decision they would be asked to make if selected for the case.

The future of a man’s life hangs in the balance, one potential juror said. Another said the case had invaded his dreams since being called for duty.

[...]

After more than three hours of questioning Friday morning, a 12-person jury and four alternates were chosen to make the weighty decision of whether there is enough evidence in the high-profile case to convict Frazee of murdering his fiancée, Kelsey Berreth.

[...]

The 90 potential jurors called Friday came from many walks of life: nurses, retirees, contractors, a mortician, a pilot, a school bus driver. They dressed in heels and workboots, suits and sweatshirts, and packed the old, wood-paneled courtroom, decorated with the same ornate radiators and wooden chairs as it had when it was built in 1904.

[...]

One woman admitted that she didn’t think she could make such a big decision. Others said they no longer thought they could be an impartial juror after reflecting on the nature of the case.

[...]

But many others said they would take on the burden of rendering a verdict and pledged to do their best to decide fairly. It is their civil duty, they said. If they were in Frazee’s place, after all, they would want a fair jury, many said.

[...]

Frazee’s defense attorney, Adam Steigerwald, questioned potential jurors on whether they think Frazee could receive a fair trial despite all the news attention on the case.

[...]

“I don’t pay much attention to the news because it’s mostly bogus,” one man said.

The pack of more than a dozen reporters in the room did not react out loud to the comment.

Fourth Judicial District Attorney Dan May’s questioning centered on potential jurors’ backgrounds and whether they could distinguish between direct and circumstantial evidence.

[...]

Lance Benzel on Twitter
#PatrickFrazee listened carefully and consulted with his attorneys as they decided whom to kick. He’s dressed in a blue striped Western-style shirt with pearl buttons, open at collar with T-shirt showing. Definitely a “cowboy at the wedding” vibe. @csgazette
1:12 PM - 1 Nov 2019
Well shoot, he’s wearin’ his purrrty clothes....yuck! Sorry, PF, lookin’ spiffy ain’t gonna help ya.

edited by me ^^

Raising my hand here - outside the US -
animated-smileys-waving-004.gif

Opening statements start here at 10pm - unfortunately, that's my bedtime - so I'll have to catch up with you all tomorrow.... keep good notes! :D

Yep - Eastern European Time...
Good night all!

Good night!

ETA: I just saw a Sonic commercial. They are offering deep-fried Oreo cookies!!

One more indulgence for KK!

Deep-fried Oreos debut at Sonic Drive-In | 2019-01-28 | Food Business News

Lance Benzel on Twitter
#PatrickFrazee listened carefully and consulted with his attorneys as they decided whom to kick. He’s dressed in a blue striped Western-style shirt with pearl buttons, open at collar with T-shirt showing. Definitely a “cowboy at the wedding” vibe. @csgazette
BBM:

HaHaHa!

"...listened carefully..."

"...consulted with his attorneys..."

Sure. Right on.

Translation: PF sat staring blankly into space all morning, repeatedly asking Steigerwald whether it was time for lunch yet.

JMO.

Last edited:
Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
We’re headed back inside for opening statements. No live reporting is allowed in the courtroom, so we’ll post updates later this afternoon.
For the time being, here’s what has happened this morning: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/kelsey-berreth-case/patrick-frazee-murder-trial-jury-seated-opening-statements-to-begin-friday-afternoon … #PatrickFrazee #KelseyBerreth
12:47 PM - 1 Nov 2019

Patrick Frazee murder trial: Jury seated
[...]

The potential jurors on Friday were asked an array of questions, including how Frazee can have a fair trial with so much publicity surrounding the case and their thoughts on circumstantial evidence vs. direct evidence. The potential jurors were also asked if someone was killed, would their first thought be that the suspect may have been the victim's spouse?

Frazee, who in previous court appearances has worn the standard county jumpsuit, appeared Friday in a blue and white striped button-down shirt. He paid close attention to the jurors as they answered the questions and leaned in to hear them speak. In prior court appearances, Frazee looked down most of the time.

Jurors also expressed an array of concerns: the major time commitment for the trial, health problems, the overall enormity of the case, with such significant consequences for the people involved. Many of the jurors said they had not paid attention to media coverage of the case or didn't believe what media has reported.

[...]

Last edited:
Allison Sylte on Twitter
I've been in Cripple Creek all week for jury selection for the trial for the murder of #KelseyBerreth. Regardless of the outcome, this is a sad situation all around. A positive that stuck out to me this week was how seriously the people in Teller Co. have taken their civic duty.
12:41 PM - 1 Nov 2019

Allison Sylte on Twitter
Lots of people didn't necessarily want to serve on the jury: it's a three-week commitment, and the jurors will only get $50 a day to hear all of the details about a tragedy. But, no one said this would stop them from serving.

Allison Sylte on Twitter
Here are some quotes from the jurors about the process -Despite the sadness surrounding this case, they gave me some hope.

Allison Sylte on Twitter
On if he could give the defendant a fair trial: "If my son or daughter were here, I would want people to take this very seriously.”

Allison Sylte on Twitter
"By putting myself in [the defendant's] shoes, if I were the guy standing up there being judged by 12 … I’d want to make sure that they’re looking at things correctly."

Allison Sylte on Twitter
"This is going to effect many people. Our whole community. It’s going to affect [Kelsey Berreth's] family, the people in the area, police .How it comes out is not just going to affect him. It is a huge thing for me, even if he is found not guilty, there’s still a missing person."

Allison Sylte on Twitter
One juror when asked if he could serve despite a medical issue: "I want to do my civic duty."

Allison Sylte on Twitter
One last thing: Lots of potential jurors said they didn't trust the media, especially when it comes to this case. I get it -- and will try to do better in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Lance Benzel on Twitter
BBM:

I know Sam's been our man from the jump, but I'm also really starting to like Lance.

I'm thinking PF's attire is equally suitable for a "cowboy at the funeral."

His own funeral.

Which just got underway.

JMO.

Many of the jurors said they had not paid attention to media coverage of the case or didn't believe what media has reported.

Hmroo? Are there jurors who don't believe KB is dead and she was killed due to a homicide? Because that's the gist of what the media has reported, along with the fact that Frazee was arrested for her murder and allegedly had help in the form of a wannabe girlfriend from Idaho. (rhetorical question, obviously).

well zi guess in one way that takes some pressure off the jury so IMO, there is a good chance he will be found guilty. I do hope no one on the outside tries to pressure the jury.
This isn’t some organized crime case, so I’m not worried about pressure.

The death penalty is pointless in Colorado anyways, as they don’t carry it out (and likely never will again).

I can live with this guy getting a life sentence, and I share your optimism.

Lance Benzel‏ @lancebenzel
Lots of varying attitudes toward circumstantial evidence as opposed to direct evidence. Under CO law, they are equal, but several jurors expressed reservations. They were all kicked by my recollection.

12:05 PM - 1 Nov 2019

ETA: not sure who kicked them -- (waiting confirmation from Sam)...

Last edited:
Lance Benzel‏ @lancebenzel
Lots of varying attitudes toward circumstantial evidence as opposed to direct evidence. Under CO law, they are equal, but several jurors expressed reservations. They were all kicked by my recollection.

12:05 PM - 1 Nov 2019

ETA: not sure who kicked them -- (waiting for Sam's reply)...

My money is on the prosecution. This case is mostly circumstantial, and the jury will be required to put the pieces together.

It comes easy to some people, but not to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77