CO CO - Marilee Burt, 15, Columbine Valley, 26 Feb 1970

The precise location where Marilee's body was discovered using an original crime scene photo, 39.5439891309, -105.167580376

Where body found.jpg
Crime Scene Photo clipping from original here

map.jpg
Wildcat Gulch, Deer Creek, CO, USA

Recent article (2021):

Also one from 2020:

Satch

March 17 2023 rbbm.
by: Dara Bitler
''The Colorado Bureau of Investigation and Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office are working to solve the cold case murder of Marilee Burt from February 27, 1970.

The CBI said Burt was walking to her home in Columbine Valley after a basketball game at Goddard Middle School but she never made it home.

Witnesses told investigators that they saw Burt walk through Berry Drive, Bowles Avenue, and Middlefield Road.

''During the investigation detectives learned that Burt was last seen talking to someone in a vehicle that stopped on South Middlefield Road.

The next day, a Jefferson County road crew found Burt’s unclothed body in Deer Creek Canyon, several miles away from where she was last seen, and contacted law enforcement. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled to death.

Years after Burt’s murder, investigators were able to create a DNA profile using evidence that was collected at the scene. The DNA hasn’t yet yielded a match for the killer in local or federal databases.

In 2021, the reward in Burt’s murder was increased to up to $30,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case.
If you have information about this case, please contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867 or submit a tip online.''

Last edited:
A Heartbreaking case. Here are ways this tragedy could have been likly prevented:

1.) Marilee should have communicated to have her mother that she was going to her friend's house after the basketball game and to be picked up again after the visit however long it lasted. Her Mother thought she was to be picked up at school

2.) Her brother Ray. If only he had stopped to pick her up! This always bothered him. I remember reading an interview. For some reason, he just didn't.

Satch

Good to hear from you Satch.

Unfortunately, the world, and especially cases like this, is full of "what if?"

Does anyone know how to find out if LE has reached out to Othram on this case? I also wonder if the killer kept her cheerleading uniform as a souvenir. I live local to this case, and every time I see an old two-tone pickup I wonder "is that the truck the killer used?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back