Found Deceased CO - Michael Kroll, 41, dog found, Pagosa Springs, 16 Oct 2021 *arrest in 2023*

Really sad to come back after the weekend and see no news on this case. I wish we knew more about what police are doing to find Michael, if anything. It seems like there should at least be camera footage from the gas station where the dog was found. Possibly camera footage of him leaving work that day? Have they started getting warrants to unlock or access the data on his phone?

I think the dog had it off in the house I think he was getting obducted and wouldn't leave without his dog so they let him bring him and they dropped dog in one place then robbed him hurt him and then got out of town dropping his wallet and phone as they left town

Listening to this case and reading the information from his known friend, I have a couple ideas.
Did the police ever find out who he was talking to about getting a ride to Bayfield CO? Was that call made on his cell phone? Was the last person he texted a different person?
In regards to the location, its a straight drive from Pagosa Springs to Bayfield taking highway 160 which is where his phone was located. That makes me think either someone tossed the phone, OR, during their drive the occupants stopped on the side of the road (maybe drove down to the recreation area or the lake) for a break/smoke (cannabis?) and he accidently dropped his phone. Or like I've done, put the phone on the car hood for a second, get back in a drive off causing it to fly off. Which could explain why his phone was found in a random place on the highway. Do we know if Micheal smoke?
If he was going to Bayfield, he likely took his dog which is why the dog was found at the gas station at the turn off for Bayfield (likely where you'd get dropped off).
Is it possible he got to the speedway and disappeared from there? Did they review cameras from the speedway to see if his dog showed up there alone or with someone?

Listening to this case and reading the information from his known friend, I have a couple ideas.
Did the police ever find out who he was talking to about getting a ride to Bayfield CO? Was that call made on his cell phone? Was the last person he texted a different person?
In regards to the location, its a straight drive from Pagosa Springs to Bayfield taking highway 160 which is where his phone was located. That makes me think either someone tossed the phone, OR, during their drive the occupants stopped on the side of the road (maybe drove down to the recreation area or the lake) for a break/smoke (cannabis?) and he accidently dropped his phone. Or like I've done, put the phone on the car hood for a second, get back in a drive off causing it to fly off. Which could explain why his phone was found in a random place on the highway. Do we know if Micheal smoke?
If he was going to Bayfield, he likely took his dog which is why the dog was found at the gas station at the turn off for Bayfield (likely where you'd get dropped off).
Is it possible he got to the speedway and disappeared from there? Did they review cameras from the speedway to see if his dog showed up there alone or with someone?
A bit of background based on your questions: Pagosa Springs is a small mountain town, a few thousand population in the greater area, about 2,000 in the city. Highway 160 is the main road through town. Bayfield is the next town west but is about 40 miles away. Bayfield is as small as Pagosa. Most of the area between is rural/forest and sparsely populated. Traveling west on 160 from Pagosa highway 151 runs south about 20 miles west of town. At the time of his disappearance, and still today, there is a highway construction project on 160 at 151. The project requires traffic on 160 to be stopped frequently for up to 15 minutes at a time. That’s where workers found the phone. With the exception of the construction workers holding traffic I think it would be difficult to stop at that location during the day without being in the way and being noticed. Continuing west on 160 Bayfield is another 20+ miles, farther than a small dog could likely walk. The Speedway station in Bayfield is right on the highway. There are several established USFS dirt roads off 160 between Pagosa and Bayfield. I‘m hoping a bit of description of the area helps.

I am sad to report his remains have been found.

While his somewhat transient lifestyle could have put him in any number of risks, I firmly believe that my friend was likely killed by someone or someone(s) and if my hunch is correct I truly hope those responsible are caught and face the strictest of penalties.

While it's a relief for there to be closure; this most certainly isn't the ending we were hoping for.

Micheal was a genuine soul who wouldn't have hurt a flea. He deserved better than this outcome.

Skeletal remains found on Middle Mountain identified Bones found by hikers in September belonged to Missouri man who lived in Pagosa Springs a short time

"The Colorado Bureau of Investigations remains tight-lipped about whether they have any clues or leads pertaining to the human remains found on Middle Mountain in September – but a name has been released.

DNA testing identified the skeletal remains to belonging to Micheal Kroll of Joplin, Missouri, according to the Pagosa Springs Police Department, which posted on its Facebook page in January that Kroll had been in the Pagosa Springs area a short time before being reported missing Oct. 19, 2021. He was 41 years old when he went missing...

...Hikers discovered the remains in the area of Middle Mountain Road northeast of Vallecito Reservoir on Sept. 25, 2022. No autopsy occurred because only a skeleton was recovered, according the La Plata County coroner. The remains are currently being examined by Fort Lewis College professor and Dean of Anthropology Dawn Mulhern, who coordinates forensic studies."

August 18, 2023 article

[…]

A suspect was arrested Friday in connection with the death of a man who disappeared from Pagosa Springs in October of 2021.

Glen Canyon Lee Hunt, 60, faces a murder charge in connection with Michael James Kroll's death.

[…]

Kroll-1.jpg
Micheal Kroll, 41, missing since Oct. 16, 2021. Courtesy: Pagosa Springs Police Department
According to a Pagosa Springs PD press release, Hunt is being held in Kit Carson County with a $50,000 bond for second-degree murder in connection to the disappearance and death of Kroll

Kroll-1.jpg
Micheal Kroll, 41, missing since Oct. 16, 2021. Courtesy: Pagosa Springs Police Department
According to a Pagosa Springs PD press release, Hunt is being held in Kit Carson County with a $50,000 bond for second-degree murder in connection to the disappearance and death of Kroll

Murder and he has a bail of only 50 K?

Since when is the life of a person worth so little?

If the guy makes bail, he could run or kill again.

I feel like Michael could have made a good life for himself. This is outrageous to me.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82