CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this story evidently will enter the canons of Urban Myth.

Hope so! Nobody else needs to get shot!

I wonder what was collected and came back ballistics-wise from the woman who was shot in the neck...

So this story evidently will enter the canons of Urban Myth.

(I'm going to request to a mod to please modify the title of this thread to "Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge")

Why would the car windows be breaking? Isn't that kind of unusual?

Apparently in several of the cars that had their windows smashed police could not find any bullets/bulletholes.

A long stretch I know but is it possible that the shooter used ice bullets ?

Apparently the Mythbusters have debunked it, however a formulation chemist says that it IS possible
if you improve the "recipe"

http://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-fire-a-bullet-made-of-ice

I tip my hat to the Mythbusters, but I have to say I believe it is entirely possible.

The Mythbuster ice bullet was brittle because they did not deaerate the water. A very cold, deaerated bullet would be hard, and not melt when fired.

Speaking as a formulation chemist,

Any problems with the ice bullet being brittle could be solved by doing a little chemical research using polymers to modify the rheology of the ice. This is a very common practice to modify fluid behavior.

I think a problem with using such bullets could be the impracticality of carrying around extremely cold bullets. This would require a generator and freezer. I bet you might have a design problem with getting gun powder to ignite at low temperatures, but I am confident that could be solved as well.

Interesting.

Troubling, imo. It'll be interesting to see what all can cause such a thing. Could it be that this is actually not that unusual of an occurence? :lookingitup:

IF there is a serial shooter out there, I would imagine that he would likely revel in any attention received, which is why I initially hesitated to even start the thread. I decided, though, that its probably better in the long run though to collect and document any information as it is released.

I'm sure the FBI / and or other such agencies are seriously investigating all of this. Hopefully there is not a danger to the community.

(I'm going to request to a mod to please modify the title of this thread to "Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge")

Qmfr:

(Thank you Bessie for updating the thread title :) )

Windshields sometimes get broken on highways when a truck tire tosses a rock. It's rare for side windows or a pickup truck rear window to be broken that way. And we know for a fact that one of these broken windows was caused by a bullet.

The intersection of Harmony and I25 where the young lady was hit (Google street view) isn't the kind of place one would expect a stray bullet. It almost had to come from another vehicle or from the parking area for the Costco on the east side of I25.

ETA: The Costco and Freddy's on the east side of I25 are not yet on Google maps. Both would have been closed at the time of the shooting.

Shattered windows: Sheriff ups I-25 Patrols:
http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...ed-windows-sheriff-ups-i-25-patrols/26677811/

"The sheriff's office has declined comment on the cause of the shattered windows it has determined were not shootings. It has also declined comment on the caliber of the ammunition that struck the woman April 22.

"That information is vital to the investigation," LCSO spokesman David Moore said. Only the suspect, victim and law enforcement know that detail. Releasing that information to the public could harm potential prosecution of a suspect, once identified, LCSO says."

Woman shot in neck while driving on Colorado highway forgives shooter:
http://www.gazette.com/woman-shot-i...rado-highway-forgives-shooter/article/1550690

"...investigators from area agencies are using crime analysis procedures to track the incidents and to try to establish any potential patterns."

"There are no leads on who shot Romero."

Eta: I like what the victim says:
"Some people may see it as a trauma or tragedy. I just see it as a wake-up call...To spend more time with people you love and do things you want to do."

Oh oh....

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/05/18/bicyclist-shot-killed-near-windsor/27553859/

"WINDSOR - Police are looking for a killer who gunned down a bicyclist on a rural Weld County road near Windsor Monday morning."

Snipped by me

"Higuera said they are actively searching for a suspect and are exploring all possibilities, including whether the murder is related to the April shooting of the 20-year-old Milliken woman in the neck. She survived the apparent random shooting while traveling on Interstate 25 near Windsor."

635675782458002439-windsor3.jpg

$%^&**!!!!!!!!!!

(FTR: "Police could not say if the shooting was random or if the town worker was targeted.")

Snip

"Even though the shooter is on the loose, Higuera said the public shouldn't be afraid, only aware and cautious. As for cyclists, he said they have more to worry about with distracted drivers."

Bicyclist shot twice, killed near Windsor; police search for suspect, motive
Victim ID'd as Windsor's part-time park caretaker

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...killed-near-windsor-police-search-for-suspect

"Windsor Police said John Jacoby, 48, was shot and killed while riding northbound on County Road 15 just south of County Road 72, north of Windsor, at about 10 a.m. *

Police said Jacoby was shot twice.

"We don't know" if it was a drive-by shooting, said Windsor Police Lt. Rich Higuer. "We're in the preliminary phases of our investigation."

A reporter asked if the shooting might be connected to a recent shooting on Interstate 25.

"We're looking at all possibilities. And certainly that one (the I-25 shooting) has been around the block the last month or so," said Higuer. "It's something we'll look at as well as all the other possibilities." *

Higuer confirmed his department was talking to other law enforcement agencies."

It seems weird that the shooter would switch from shooting random cars to shooting bicyclists.

I am thinking this cyclist was targeted by someone for personal or business reasons. JMO

"Weld County has determined that 16 of 22 reported shattered windows are likely from road debris, temperature changes or vibrations.

"We can't find anything positive or concrete to say why these windows are breaking. We can't explain it," said Standbridge.

He's trying to create a safe reenactment where the sheriff's office can shoot at a window of a moving car, to show the public how the window likely shatters differently than the ones experienced by drivers last month.

"Like Mythbusters," said Standbridge. "But it's so broad, it's going to take us forever to put it together."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...complaints-for-shattered-car-windows-in-april

It seems weird that the shooter would switch from shooting random cars to shooting bicyclists.

I am thinking this cyclist was targeted by someone for personal or business reasons. JMO

I hope you're right Katy...

But jumping off your post, I'm worried that either the perp's crimes are "escalating", and/or he/she is not having the success or attention he desires via the car windows...(I doubt its a she).

Soooomeone shot that woman in the neck while she was driving...

I hope you're right, but right now I have to say the proximity of the 2 shootings is troubling. I think there's a good chance it could be related.

I wonder if LE will even release anything even if they think it is related...they might not want to freak people out, but then again, they might want the public's help if it turns out there is some wackjob out there targeting random people on the road.

Jmo

If someone shoots your car window and it shatters---isn't the bullet going to be found in the car? Or does it sometimes go through the other side? It just seems to me that the bullet would be inside the car? But who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin