GUILTY CO - Semi Driver Arrested After Slamming Into Cars on I-70, Lakewood, multiple deaths, Apr 2019

wow, if that is the same truck (hard to tell on my small monitor) that driver can forget about his "brakes failed" excuse. He is all over the road. Sleepy is my guess since they don't suspect drugs.

I don't see brake lights or flashers. I don't hear a horn. I can't imagine panicking so much you just freeze, but I'm good in emergencies.

The brakes were already smoking in that video. His brakes didn't fail he fried them. I bet he wasn't in a lower gear.

That's like driving 1.0! You stay in the right lane going slow so if you have issues you can hit the ramp without hitting anyone else.

I think it's possible the swerving was panicking. I just can't grasp passing up that ramp. I would absolutely rather take the ramp and die than kill someone else.

I am wondering about 3 things though. He runs a chevy truck off the road and there is a chevy truck in the crash. Are they the same person?

There is a COP that passes the guy with the dash cam. Did this cop witness any of the reckless driving or see the brakes smoking? If so, he could have potentially helped clear people out of the way and save some lives.

Did anyone call to report him before the crash? I know there wouldn't have been time to prevent it, but did anyone even try?

These are the things I'd like to know.

I know that time feels like it slows down in an emergency, but I was surprised with how long it took to get water on the fire(s). MOO IMO

Why is he arrested? Does he own the truck?

It is absurd that 18 year old people can have a CDL.

Why is he arrested? Does he own the truck?

It is absurd that 18 year old people can have a CDL.

Not following where you're going with the bbm? He's 23, but I have a feeling you know that. Genuine question. :)

Btw my 20 year old has a CDL (or permit or something like that, I don't get kept in the loop too well LOL), and will start bus driver training soon.

I looked it up real quick and 18 is the minimum age to apply for a CDL, but 21 for hazardous materials and interstate driving.

IMO, from reading comments from experienced truckers about this horrible accident, this was likely an inexperienced driver not handling the brakes as he should have when going downhill. But, I'll wait for the official conclusions to have more of an opinion on that.

JMO

Not following where you're going with the bbm? He's 23, but I have a feeling you know that. Genuine question. :)

Btw my 20 year old has a CDL (or permit or something like that, I don't get kept in the loop too well LOL), and will start bus driver training soon.

I looked it up real quick and 18 is the minimum age to apply for a CDL, but 21 for hazardous materials and interstate driving.

IMO, from reading comments from experienced truckers about this horrible accident, this was likely an inexperienced driver not handling the brakes as he should have when going downhill. But, I'll wait for the official conclusions to have more of an opinion on that.

JMO

Yes, I know he is 23 which shocked me that he has a CDL considering that insurance rates are sky high for drivers until age 25, is it?

Then to read someone can get a CDL at age 18! I am astounded. What kind of foolishness is that!

Yes, I know he is 23 which shocked me that he has a CDL considering that insurance rates are sky high for drivers until age 25, is it?

Then to read someone can get a CDL at age 18! I am astounded. What kind of foolishness is that!

I hadn't even considered the insurance rates! That is weird for sure. They are super high for regular cars indeed... now I want to know how that works for semis. If it's the same, then why would anyone hire someone so young? Thanks @human , now I have a head full of even more questions... ;)

Victims: William Bailey, 67, of Arvada; Doyle Harrison, 61, of Hudson; Miguel Angel Lamas Arellano, 24, of Denver; and Stanley Politano, 69, of Arvada

Aguilera-Mederos told police his brakes failed as he traveled at 85 miles-per-hour down the mountains on I-70, an arrest affidavit said. He told police he didn't drive off the highway because he didn't want his truck to roll.

4 Victims In I-70 Fiery Crash Named By JeffCo Coroner

Victims: William Bailey, 67, of Arvada; Doyle Harrison, 61, of Hudson; Miguel Angel Lamas Arellano, 24, of Denver; and Stanley Politano, 69, of Arvada

Aguilera-Mederos told police his brakes failed as he traveled at 85 miles-per-hour down the mountains on I-70, an arrest affidavit said. He told police he didn't drive off the highway because he didn't want his truck to roll.

4 Victims In I-70 Fiery Crash Named By JeffCo Coroner
We will have to see what happens as the investigation proceeds. How experienced was this driver? Had he been on this route before? How long had he been driving that day?

Last edited:
According to an arrest affidavit, Aguilera-Mederos told investigators that the brakes on the semi failed before the crash and that he was going more than 80 mph at the time of the crash.

Charges filed against driver of semi that caused deadly, fiery I-70 crash

It is surprising to many people, that fully loaded trucks, cannot "stop" on a dime, just like a frieght train. There are a lot of things to consider before assumption of "driver" error.

But, I am sure that will all be looked at very closely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back