CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm certain this has been said many times by many of you, but here I go. . .

My opinion is that CW is trying to pin his daughters' deaths on SW in an effort to justify his murder of SW in the eyes of the public and his family. I think he realized he was busted, but he came up with this story to try to garner sympathy from his family and the public. He has now put this idea in his own family's minds. His family will desperately want to believe his version of events because it makes CW sort of a hero as opposed to a homicidal villain. Even if CW knows that this story is just about impossible for a jury to buy, he probably thinks his dad and others will buy it and remain supportive of him. I am not surprised by CW's ploy...I am horrified and heartbroken for SW and her girls--but not at all surprised that CW came up with this scenario to justify his actions.

The more I think about it, the more I think he really hated and resented Shanann for a number of reasons (money, her bubbly personality, pregnant again) and it all culminated with her being away for 5-6 weeks during the summer. He was able to meet up with his AP(s) and live the single life that he didn't know he missed so much. But he felt trapped, out of control, and it really hit him when she and the kids came home and he had to care for them while she was out of town. I also think Shanann verbalized her suspicions to him and in his warped/psychopath mind felt the only way to regain control and get back at Shanann was to kill them all.

IMO the kids were already deceased when she came home. Again, as several have mentioned, there is often some truth strung into the lies someone tells. So seeing Bella blue on the monitor and SW in there probably has some truth. As others have brought up, I'm also curious as to whether it was truly the dog howling or a person misconstrued as a dog.

Would a home security camera pick up sound/have an audio feature? I'm curious to know if the neighbors security camera could've picked up audio as well

I’m wondering about the dog check . Do we know time ? The neighbor’s had mentioned the dog was howling since time they “disappeared” (were murdered) .
1. Was wellness check while cops there to investigate scene or separate call ?
2. If they could hear dog , could they not hear perhaps the screams of someone being murdered ? Especially SW IMO she would have fought if she saw children dead or attack .
So perhaps he waited till she was in bed or attacked her upon entrance startling her. He may have given the children benedryl to subdue them . The children had allergies so probably had it at home . And attacked her before she could check them or attacked her in bed to gain better positioning on her and then went to children . The fact the neighbors heard dog but no humans maybe means something .

I am curious about this too and asked about it a thread or three ago. I don't think we've heard much about it other than the CrimeOnline article. Neighbor says Chris Watts “cared more about the dog” than pregnant wife and 2 toddlers he allegedly killed

Hollowell said the dog “was barking up until the cops took him away.”

On the day the family disappeared, however, the barking was different.

“It was like he was being punished or hurt or something,” the neighbor said. He was just howling. Because we had a dog, I said, ‘What the hell is that all about? So we called the police and asked them to check on the dog. And it turned out that he was OK. They did a wellness check on the dog.”

“I don’t know if at the time of the murders, if the dog was in the house,” Hallowell said, suggesting that the killer “may have put him outside at the time or something.”

Going back through the threads is making my head spin, so I'm just going to ask for help... has anyone tried to enhance still images of CW from his TV interviews to determine if there are marks on his neck? One of the SM groups claim there are possible bite marks on CW, but I don't know how to get a still and enhance. TIA

ETA: I don't trust the SM images not to be doctored, but I wondered if some trustworthy WSleuther has done this.
Here is one I did:
Inked8.14 Chris Watts_LI.jpg

OMG. What a thought.

We should be able to confirm....anyone know when the neighbors said they heard the dog? Before or after he left that morning?

jmo

It sounds like all day to me.
  • "On the day the family disappeared"
  • “I don’t know if at the time of the murders, if the dog was in the house,” Hallowell said
  • Hollowell said the dog “was barking up until the cops took him away.”
Neighbor says Chris Watts “cared more about the dog” than pregnant wife and 2 toddlers he allegedly killed

It sounds like all day to me.
  • "On the day the family disappeared"
  • “I don’t know if at the time of the murders, if the dog was in the house,” Hallowell said
  • Hollowell said the dog “was barking up until the cops took him away.”
Neighbor says Chris Watts “cared more about the dog” than pregnant wife and 2 toddlers he allegedly killed

Animals can be fairly astute and animal behavior very revealing. I'm sure the dog sensed danger/what was going on even if he was outside. Poor thing had to have been so confused and scared.

A couple of thoughts this morning...

As anyone heard about how CW was acting at work before he realized NU was at the house trying to find SW? I wonder if he was uncharacteristically happy (because a huge weight was lifted and he was free) or super down/depressed (due to losing his family only hours earlier). That's going to be really interesting to me.

Also, I had read that SW and her girls would be cremated, but I swear I saw a link with the caption that they were "laid to rest" with a picture of graves with flowers, etc. I'll see if I can locate it, but someone had posted it here on the threads Saturday afternoon. So do we know for sure if they were cremated?

Just wondering because someone - I think @thesaint mentioned the cost. If they were buried, the cost would have easily reached over 50K, due to all the typical prep, transportation from CO to NC and burial plots.

Quoting myself.

The dog is another example of how CW was sloppy with the crime. He probably forgot to feed the dog and/or left the dog outdoors....or something out of the ordinary. The dog probably was stressed because of the happenings in the household, yet CW did nothing to make sure the dog remained quiet.

jmopinion at the moment
Good thought.
I think CW was in a big hurry to get things done as far as the crime scene was concerned. He had a lot to do before he could calmly walk in to go to work. Further, we know how dogs can be -- they seem to have a sense of sadness or sickness or sorrow when we feel that way -- dogs are used to visit sick or the elderly in hospitals or Hospice units. Maybe the dog was simply airing his/her fear or other feeling of dis-ease or sorrow or simply a call for help.

As anyone heard about how CW was acting at work before he realized NU was at the house trying to find SW? I wonder if he was uncharacteristically happy (because a huge weight was lifted and he was free) or super down/depressed (due to losing his family only hours earlier). That's going to be really interesting to me.

Also, I had read that SW and her girls would be cremated, but I swear I saw a link with the caption that they were "laid to rest" with a picture of graves with flowers, etc. I'll see if I can locate it, but someone had posted it here on the threads Saturday afternoon. So do we know for sure if they were cremated?

Just wondering because someone - I think @thesaint mentioned the cost. If they were buried, the cost would have easily reached over 50K, due to all the typical prep, transportation from CO to NC and burial plots.
Catholic cremated remains still have to be buried or entombed, you can't scatter them as others do. Edit to add Shannan's brother has a photo on his FB page of mourners around the burial site on Sat so maybe they were interred and not cremated?

Last edited:
Catholic remains still have to be buried or entombed, you can't scatter them as others do.
Yes, I know (raised in a very traditional Catholic family, although I walked away years ago). The timing of the article with pics was pretty fast after the funeral. In the past from my experience, the remains were not cremated until after the funeral mass. Is it different now?

The more I think about it, the more I think he really hated and resented Shanann for a number of reasons (money, her bubbly personality, pregnant again) and it all culminated with her being away for 5-6 weeks during the summer. He was able to meet up with his AP(s) and live the single life that he didn't know he missed so much. But he felt trapped, out of control, and it really hit him when she and the kids came home and he had to care for them while she was out of town. I also think Shanann verbalized her suspicions to him and in his warped/psychopath mind felt the only way to regain control and get back at Shanann was to kill them all.

IMO the kids were already deceased when she came home. Again, as several have mentioned, there is often some truth strung into the lies someone tells. So seeing Bella blue on the monitor and SW in there probably has some truth. As others have brought up, I'm also curious as to whether it was truly the dog howling or a person misconstrued as a dog.

Would a home security camera pick up sound/have an audio feature? I'm curious to know if the neighbors security camera could've picked up audio as well

There is a phenomenon that I don't see discussed much, I don't even know if it has a clinical name....the extroverted, confident, people-loving person marries the staid, reserved, supposedly rock solid introvert. The staid person (sometimes) starts to undermine the more outgoing partner, deep-seated, burning jealousy at the partner's apparent ease with.....people. And, who can undermine a person more profoundly than the partner who knows exactly where to stick the verbal knife (so to speak), to embarrass the outgoing partner in public where they can't reply in kind. I call it verbal abuse, it can be practically unnoticed by the friends in the group, but it deeply affects the more outgoing person who is being nastily "reined in". I see CW as that type of person (if there is a "type") who deeply resented Shan'ann's ease with relationships (thus professional success, too). He was the "Come here and smile for the camera, Chris" guy.

I too am not the type of person who would willingly pose for all the smiley SM videos, and personal revelations for a world of FB viewers. CW may have REALLY resented being the appendage, the one occupying the place of the staid, reserved, supposed rock of the family. Unfortunately that "rock solid" bit can also be a mask for cowardice.

So in the end he rids himself of everything that ties him to that type of self and essentially kills himself and all of them to do it. Kills himself as he will, for the rest of his life, be free of the feeling he needs to perform, from this moment on he doesn't have to work, to be something he is not. He can just spend the rest of his life as the coward he is, at the expense of the people in the state.

I am curious about this too and asked about it a thread or three ago. I don't think we've heard much about it other than the CrimeOnline article. Neighbor says Chris Watts “cared more about the dog” than pregnant wife and 2 toddlers he allegedly killed

Hollowell said the dog “was barking up until the cops took him away.”

On the day the family disappeared, however, the barking was different.

“It was like he was being punished or hurt or something,” the neighbor said. He was just howling. Because we had a dog, I said, ‘What the hell is that all about? So we called the police and asked them to check on the dog. And it turned out that he was OK. They did a wellness check on the dog.”

“I don’t know if at the time of the murders, if the dog was in the house,” Hallowell said, suggesting that the killer “may have put him outside at the time or something.”
M
Dogs are extremely sensitive to human emotion and resizing when things are happening to their humans. CW may have become so detached to his family that he did care more for the dog.

As far as what he did to his wife and children.... I don’t fully yetvunderstand. I do know it’s pretty common in men who destroy their families. Imo he believed that after a time the heat of the ensuing investigation would certainly pass and he could resume whatever life he had started with his lover or multiples thereof. My guess or IMO it was the third pregnancy that set the plan in motion.

CW probably told his girlfriend he was no longer sleeping with his wife. A divorce was mentioned and promises made. CW may have been experimenting with other parts of his sexuality he had struggled with for years.

Nothing he held in his future included his wife and kids. Detachment and abandonment dominated CW.

This whole crime really angers me. Not only was there zero reasons to kill them, but dude didn't even TRY to cover up his crime or play the part of frightened and worried dad/husband. Christian Longo had his little Mexican adventure afterwards and Peterson was out playing golf while sticking strongly to his story. This guy caved after less than 3 days. He wiped out his entire family, will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars, and for what? He got nothing out of it (except, perhaps, the satisfaction of knowing she's dead).

Mind you, I'm not saying I wanted him to get away with it or that I admire the other family anilihators-just reiterating the fact that it was a completely senseless, tragic crime that should never have happened.

I think it was premeditated but not neccesarily pre-planned. I refuse to believe that in this day and age of approximately 212 true and fictional crime shows on TV, that anyone could plan such a thing and overlook so much.

There is a phenomenon that I don't see discussed much, I don't even know if it has a clinical name....the extroverted, confident, people-loving person marries the staid, reserved, supposedly rock solid introvert. The staid person (sometimes) starts to undermine the more outgoing partner, deep-seated, burning jealousy at the partner's apparent ease with.....people. And, who can undermine a person more profoundly than the partner who knows exactly where to stick the verbal knife (so to speak), to embarrass the outgoing partner in public where they can't reply in kind. I call it verbal abuse, it can be practically unnoticed by the friends in the group, but it deeply affects the more outgoing person who is being nastily "reined in". I see CW as that type of person (if there is a "type") who deeply resented Shan'ann's ease with relationships (thus professional success, too). He was the "Come here and smile for the camera, Chris" guy.

I too am not the type of person who would willingly pose for all the smiley SM videos, and somewhat personal revelations for a world of FB viewers. CW may have REALLY resented being the appendage, the one occupying the place of the staid, reserved, supposedly rock of the family. Unfortunately that "rock solid" bit can also be a mask for cowardice.

So in the end he rids himself of everything that ties him to that type of self and essentially kills himself and all of them to do it. Kills himself as he will, for the rest of his life, be free of the feeling he needs to perform, from this moment on he doesn't have to work, to be something he is not. He can just spend the rest of his life as the coward he is.

I need to add one possibility here.

Shannans extensive involvement with thrive.

If typical at the beginning I think it may have been a burden financially to the family. I’d have to really look at it.

Although successful, most of the MLM requires a substantial investment in order to sustain success. I’d be interested to see how much “product “ she had and kept in inventory st the house.

the scary part to me is that it seems that all that lovey-dovey stuff with his wife and children was a man going through the motions of being the loving husband and father, while underneath, seething, scheming and planning their execution. it was all an act. Was it always an act? it gives one pause to consider that one never knows the heart of another person--- thank goodness most people don't lead double lives. Were there signs that Shannan ignored about who her husband really was, that she never shared with anybody? who knows.

If typical at the beginning I think it may have been a burden financially to the family. I’d have to really look at it.

Although successful, most of the MLM requires a substantial investment in order to sustain success. I’d be interested to see how much “product “ she had and kept in inventory st the house.
Well, maybe he did see her business success as more of a potentional albatross around his own neck, should it fail. He could also have been jealous of the combination of her approval for becoming a Mom, and her involvement in business aspects that he was not even consulted about, he being the "good looking rock" but otherwise useless appendage. Then again, there are always downers who are against everything. Everything that they themselves are afraid to try.

Unlike many MLMs, Thrive does not require the promoter to keep stock on hand. The consumers order it themselves. Initial fee is only around $300, making it fairly reasonable (in comparison to things like Lula Roe which requires inventory on hand and a start up fee of thousands).

SOURCE: My friend sells it and I grilled her.

The funeral was live streamed and there were 3 caskets in the church. There was also a news report that they were "taken to their final resting place" at Bethesda Cemetery in Aberdeen, NC.
Shanann Watts, Frederick daughters funeral in North Carolina

the scary part to me is that it seems that all that lovey-dovey stuff with his wife and children was a man going through the motions of being the loving husband and father, while underneath, seething, scheming and planning their execution. it was all an act. Was it always an act? it gives one pause to consider that one never knows the heart of another person--- thank goodness most people don't lead double lives. Were there signs that Shannan ignored about who her husband really was, that she never shared with anybody? who knows.
I have a hunch her excessive praising of him while at the same time being a bossy-pants were a clues of a passive-aggressive (PA) relationship, perhaps a two-sided one. The excessive praise to keep the peace with his PA moodiness and the bossiness as PA on her part as a message to him that he needed to be "trained" and told what to do.

I don't suspect physical DV, but probably moodiness and passive-aggressive behavior in the household.

I DO NOT think any of this, if true, is cause for any violence at all, of course. Dealing with each other within a marriage can take years to figure out. Perhaps they were in a difficult phase, but they could've either broken up, worked on improving, and/or put up with each other. I don't want to blow a difficult relationship out of proportion - all relationships are difficult at some time or another. A flawed relationship is not an excuse for violence.

Jmopinion at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member