Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one person I can not let go of yet. I believe she is totally innocent and was lured into the wrong place at the wrong time. MG. She stated that she is scared of BM. I do not think that BM sat outside MG house at 4am and called her. I think that he dropped her off at 4am after luring her into an emergency job. I can see him threating MG with a gun unless she helped him, and threatening her if she talked. That envelope I am sure contained a lot of hush money. She is not just scared, she is terrified to the point she moved out of state.
$70,000 worth?

@OldCop, @oviedo - From NoSi's notes, I think we have another timestamp from the state's witness:

8:45 pm BM arrives home, ask LE if bike was found.

ETU BM and GD at scene where bike found. LE asks them not to touch bike.

ETU BM and GD start walking away. LE calls BM back. Tells him he has more questions for him.

Monday 5/11/21

1:21 am BM calls SM, no answer

1:06 AM: BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”.
Thanks, @Seattle1. I missed that one. I will add it for the next update.

There is one person I can not let go of yet. I believe she is totally innocent and was lured into the wrong place at the wrong time. MG. She stated that she is scared of BM. I do not think that BM sat outside MG house at 4am and called her. I think that he dropped her off at 4am after luring her into an emergency job. I can see him threating MG with a gun unless she helped him, and threatening her if she talked. That envelope I am sure contained a lot of hush money. She is not just scared, she is terrified to the point she moved out of state.

It would be quite a twist, a la KK in the Frazee case. If such a scenario were true, I would hope she cooperated with LE and was being protected as a witness, rather than in fearful hiding. Her phone data is in evidence, so I’m sure we will learn more.

Things I never say on the weekend .. Is it Monday yet?

Just an FYI for anybody unfamiliar-- Tailwinds, referenced in BM's communication and presented as evidence during the PH is a 27+ acre development on the east side of Poncha Springs Lane -- south of U.S. 50. The plan for residential and commercial development was approved in 2018. This is also the same development where BM was working/living (in a townhome) when he was arrested in May 2021.

Joe DeLuca gave an update on the Tailwind project, a 27.5 acre parcel also known as the Bagwell Property located on the east side of Poncha Springs Lane, north of Little River Ranch and south of U.S. 50. The plan calls for it to be divided into 68 lots with a mix of residential and commercial development, before the project comes efore the trustees for final approval to proceed. DeLuca reviewed the phases of the project, with Phase 1 consisting of a row of townhouses fronting Poncha Springs Lane, and Phase 2 consisting of sales of lots intended for single-family housing, including the infrastructure for the sewer and gutters. The biggest change was the site plan for Lot #3; a commercially-zoned lot originally slated to be part of Phase 3. DeLuca asked that development of lot #3 and #4 be moved to Phase 2, as he had a potential client already interested in building a fitness center on Lot #3.

Poncha Springs approves Tailwind Major Subdivision final plat - by Jan Wondra - Ark Valley Voice
Thanks for posting that info, @Seattle1 . I think some folks are confused about Tailwinds. This job/location is different from the the job site on CR105 on the river in Salida that the FBI searched.
On Friday, 5/8 BM asked SM to go to Tailwinds. At first she said no, but later met him there.
MG alleged that BM worked at the riverfront site on Friday evening.

Thanks for posting that info, @Seattle1 . I think some folks are confused about Tailwinds. This job/location is different from the the job site on CR105 on the river in Salida that the FBI searched.
On Friday, 5/8 BM asked SM to go to Tailwinds. At first she said no, but later met him there.

Is it around this property? Not THIS property, but in the area?
0.17 acres, Salida, CO, Property ID: 10829295 | Land and Farm

Thank you for the clarification. I was one of the confused people. How many properties was BM working on? Maybe that’s why his wall jobs turn out crooked? For ex: CR105 beach retaining wall and Bloomfield wall.

A note on IP addresses and WiFi/cellular services. The identification of a specific IP address on a network is not as simple as it seems.

When using an iPhone on your home WiFi, your IP address is assigned by the router sitting in your house that connects it to the internet. The IP addresses that are handed out by your router and assigned to your iPhone are NOT publicly identifiable. These IP addresses start with 192.168.1.x or if using NATting, 10.x.x.x. What is identifiable is the IP address of your home WiFi ROUTER (not individual iPhone). This only proves that someone in your home (or someone parked outside using your unprotected WiFi) accessed a webpage from your home network. It makes it very difficult for LE to conclusively prove that this PERSON using this device went to this website using this username and password at this exact date and time. It can sometimes be corroborated by other data for example, proof this person was the only one home at the time this website was accessed by using a ring doorbell video, etc. Your internet service provider can actually change the IP of the router if they wanted to as well. It’s not very common but it does happen, especially during maintenance on their end.

When using cellular functions from your iPhone, it will have an IP address assigned to it. It actually has two, one IPv4 and one IPv6. This is so the phone can connect to the cellular network/towers. This IP address can also change and is assigned by the cellular provider.
IMO, though, the private and public IP addressing for both the cellular and wi-fi networks does not exist in a vacuum. It won’t be hard for LE to tie it all together.

LE has a search warrant for PP. So they def have the logs from the wi-fi router. Those will connect the MAC address of each device to the private IP that was assigned. LE also has data from the SW for the cellular provider. So they know what the MAC address and SIM card ID of each device is even if that device has not been located. (They’ll even have a list of unknown devices that appear in the logs — the neighbor’s phone, MaM’s BFF, house guests, BM’s sketchy “meth-head” coworker, a burner, etc.

And of course they have all the cloud data that each device is associated with — web histories, search histories, what social, email, and bank accounts, etc., each device was accessing, etc.

Not to mention known behavioral patterns from before and after the time SM went missing. They can even pull connection data from other unique locations — SM’s doctor’s office, the fire station, the high school, etc., to cross-validate all the other info.

And I’m 99% certain that cell phones do a date/time stamp of when the phone locks and unlocks and how it was done — passcode, fingerprint or facial recognition — and that would include failed attempts as well, IMO. (I’m not sure that details of these actions would be stored with the carrier, though. Security practices may dictate that data remains on the local device only. In which case destroying the phone = destroying the data. But I’m in over my head now on this particular topic.)

That said, if there’s incriminating evidence to be had in the electronic device data you can be sure LE has it and will use it to their benefit. And to BM’s detriment.

MOO.

Thank you for the clarification. I was one of the confused people. How many properties was BM working on? Maybe that’s why his wall jobs turn out crooked? For ex: CR105 beach retaining wall and Bloomfield wall.
I’m not sure about the total number of jobs he was working on at the time. I know from the prelim notes he was at both locations on Saturday morning. He also was said to have gone to look at another job on Saturday, Kim’s Gym, which is in Salida. They opened on 12/5/19.

According to AM, the conversation re: all wedding stopped at 2:30 pm May 9, FB friend requests happened Saturday May 9 in the pm.

Tiff, you might be able to jog my memory. We had a new WSer join about the time when info was coming out about SMs Saturday. He was a verified person (wife & he lived in Alexandria IN area, former friends SM or BM). His wife had reported the friending requests via Facebook happening on Saturday evening, May 9. Anyone else remember the account I’m speaking of. For the life of me, his name escapes me. He hasn’t posted in quite some time. Moo
At the beginning of the thread, under the list of verified insiders, it has NatureLover listed. Does that help?

I presume the Sunday wedding went ahead? And was SO distraught then about her missing friend? Or didn't she know yet?
It did go ahead. We don’t know SO’s reaction to all of that, but I have a feeling we’ll hear about it in a couple days.

The prosecution hasn’t yet explained why the focus turned to Barry so quickly, but I think the answer lies with Sheila’s response.

GD as Witness?
Hi al66pine. I was making that statement wondering if GD was still good friends/supporter of BM or not and if the State had any reason to call him. IDK what that relationship might be now that some evidence has come forward.
@girlhasnoname bbm If in my earlier reply I did not understand your question, I hope this hits closer to the mark.

If GD's stmts to LE (whether made casually Sun night or in later formal interviews) were relevant to furthering the case against BM, then imo likely the State would call GD at trial, which basically entails asking him to repeat his earlier stmts.

If at time of disappearance, GD would have characterized his relationship w BM as bff/bosom buddies, and since then as more distant, would that relationship change impact the State's decision to call/not call GD? Just speaking gen’ly here, I doubt that it would. My2ct.

Like you, I'm also curious about whether GD's relationship w BM has changed --- fading, flourishing, or now non-existent. After giving LE a stmt tending to exculpate a friend, who is later arrested, nobody likes learning the (ex?) friend bamboozled them. And bamboozled about a homicide.

Okay, folks. Here is the latest update on the timeline put together by @oviedo and myself. We used a lot of additional info from @NoSi’s great preliminary hearing notes, from everyone who was kind enough to post the Tweets from the journalists at the hearing, and from everyone who pointed out errors or inconsistencies in our last update. It should be noted that there are still some discrepancies because we don’t know what we don’t know.
This timeline is intended to be a streamlined, bulleted version to make it easy for us to reference as we follow the case. For in-depth reports, go to the Media, Maps, and Timeline thread.
We hope we can fill in some gaps and tighten this up even further next week.

Update 8/21/21

Morphew Case Timeline

ETU = Exact Time Unknown

d = defense

*** = conflicting or disputed information

Tuesday 5/5

ETU SM drives MM2 to Gunnison to meet MM1 for camping trip

Wednesday 5/6

ETU SM texts BM: “I’m done. Could care less about what you have been up to for years. We just need to figure things out civilly.”

2:43 – 5:00 BM at Tailwinds jobsite, Poncha Springs

3:51 pmBM to SM: I am not hiding checks. Fighting about money.

ETU BM texts several suicidal messages which he deletes

ETU SM and BM evening walk -they see the housekeeper putting trash in the dumpster

Thursday 5/7

7:27 am SM messages JL about how magical past days were

ETU Continues to message him throughout the day.

ETU BM texts someone about buying a new F350

ETU BM tries to call SM’s dad

ETU MM1 & MM2 text photos from the camping trip to BM and SM

ETU MM1 sends text to BM & SM saying, “Finally got the job!”

ETU SM goes to bike shop UNCONFIRMED

4:43 pm SM tells BM she has been studying all day and is making veggie stew for dinner.

Evening ETU Back and forth texts with GD

Friday 5/8

7:02 am SM writes list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave marriage on Notes

8:43 am SM tells BM (text?) that she will continue to help him with his invoicing 9:28 am SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally. Long text(s)

Sister tells SM she doesn’t know what to say.

10:55 am BM texts SM I Love You, Suzanne

1:18 pm BM texts Colton Nebal SS&S, about getting hot tub fixed. Asks when someone can come out to the home.

2:49 pm BM asks SM to stop by worksite if she can. BM told her to bring cold drink and he would show her worksite. SM told BM she was studying and planned to go on bike ride.

ETU SM went to Tailwinds worksite.

ETU SM & BM got into SM’s RR and went to Safeway and Moonlight Pizza. SM took pic of BM at Moonlight Pizza and sent it to daughters via text (NoSi)

7:15 pm: SM to JL: He’s gone for a bit. Can you talk?

ETU BM works at Salida dig site (MG) UNCONFIRMED

8:50 pm SM’s FB codes reset. (NoSi) ***

Saturday 5/9

12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)

2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)

6:00 am BM’s phone received call (d)

7:19 am BM’s cell received signal

7:22-7:39 BM at Tailwinds worksite

8:08-9:37 am BM at CR105 worksite, (riverfront dig site)

9:35 am SM and JL communicate via 59 LinkedIn messages

ETU SM communicates with SO about 5/10 wedding. SM plans to attend virtually.

8:43 am SM and JL communicate about move to AZ

9:33 am SM tells BM about a house on King Gulch Trail

ETU SM to JL: Had a nice quiet night. Got pizza. Looked around Salida for a house for sale. Still thinking about Arizona.

9:49 am BM tries to call SM 11x, no return calls

9:50-11:05 am BM at Tailwinds

9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?

9:52 am SM to BM, Where? (No response)

10:00 SM asking about getting summer tires put on Range Rover

10:36 am SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?

10:48 am BM: No, coming home

10:49 am SM: Get hot tub stuff

11:00 am Tail Winds property (new subdivision)

11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM - (leftovers from Thursday?)

11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.***

11:50 am-12:20 pm BM phone on trail going to RV park (NoSi)***

12:55 pm BM text to Justin Cribari: Home now. Give me a bit more time.

1:30 pm BM called SM(?), Tim Barrow, Justin Cribari (@NoSI)

1:38 pm BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms

1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?

1:46 pm BM on US 50 heading towards town. (East) Texts Justin Cribari: Are you around to look at backhoe?

1:55 pm BM at DSI

2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat, (Justin Cribari?) considered buying backhoe attachment. Did not purchase

2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.

2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL, SM tells JL to go on What’s App

2:35 pm BM texts SM that he’s on the way home

2:43:59 pm BM returned home

ETU JL sends several texts, no response

2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode

2:44-2:47 pm BM moving around outside house, BM shooting chipmunks?

2:44-4:44 pm Truck doesn’t move

4:44 BM truck door opens/closes

4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc

4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa (however store closes at 2 on saturdays) ***

5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted ***

8:00 pm – 9:00 pm SM’s FB account reset, fr’s sent out to mostly males ***

9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway

9:52 pm truck door closes

10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode

10:18 pm – 4:32 am (5\10) BM’s phone plugged in at PP*** (d)

Sunday 5/10/21

2:53 am SM Outgoing call on SM’s phone

3:25-3:49 am BM car door opened 4 times and closed 3 times

3:58 am BM cell moves from home to near 225/50 where bike found

4:22-4:23 am SM last signal from phone, quite away from home, near a park. Not connected to cell tower. (@NoSI)

4:30 am SM’s last phone ping near Poncha Springs (from Tweet)

4:31 am BM phone into airplane mode

4:32 am BM phone unplugged*** (d), contradicts BM cell at 50/225 at 3:58

ETU between 4:32 and 5:00 am BM turns west (left) on US50 because he was following an elk, should have turned east, (right) to go to Bloomfield

5:37 am BM phone off airplane mode near Johnson Village turning on 285 heading towards Denver/Bloomfield

5:38 am BM text HMD to his mom

6:56 am BM texts SM “You up? Happy Mother’s Day. I love you.”

8:10 am Car door opened at RTD bus stop in Broomfield off Hwy 36, driver and passenger door opened, stayed 1 ½ minutes - Trash Drop #1

8:12 - 8:20 am BM parks on south side of HIE away from cameras, throws things in trash. Trash Drop #2

8:25 BM drives to front of HIE, walks to room

8:38 am BM goes to room, changes into blk v neck, hiking boots, carrying different bag

8:41 am BM texts SM that he arrived

8:52 am BM enters hotel carrying clothes, (teal and black colored), hiking boots, light blue plastic bag

9:52 BM leaves hotel, dressed differently, carrying hiking boots and bag. (Says he brought in hiking boots because he wanted to remove laces but throw away boots.).

10:10 BM seen on hotel camera carrying Target bag. Goes to truck, comes back empty handed.

10:11 He goes back to truck. He drives by wall but does not stop, goes to MacDonald’s. Forcefully pushing things in trash with both hands. Trash Drop #3

ETU BM then goes to a car wash for 2-3 minutes. BM says he was washing windshield.

ETU BM then goes to Men’s Wearhouse parking lot, spends 40 minutes. Driver & pass doors open and close multiple times. BM says he dumps tranquilizer materials. Trash Drop #4

11:10 am BM goes back to room with large notebook with messy papers

11:30 am Leaves room in a different shirt, gray t shirt, with large notebook and neat papers,

ETU BM goes to wall, puts truck in “park”, door opens and closes. He works 11-15 minutes, removed blocks/stone from wall.

11:20 am BM calls SM. No answer

12:06 pm BM calls MM1

12:27 pm BM throws away 2 bags, with camo coat, tree container, (tranquilizer material?), in dumpster at HIE. He walks across lot rather than parking near dumpster. BM walks back to hotel with hands in pocket and head down. Trash Dump #5

12:42-5:55 pm BM in room at HIE

3:39 pm texts SM, asks her to call him

5:15 pm PP neighbor Ritter calls BM

5:45 pm Ritter calls BM

5:46 pm Chaffee County Communications Ctr receives report of woman missing from area of 225 & Hwy 50

5:55 pm BM changed shirts again and left hotel room wearing backpack.

5:58 pm LE attempts to contact BM, no response

6:00 pm BM makes three trips in and out of hotel entrance bringing in hand tools including a shovel and rake. Asks front desk if he can leave them for his workers.

6:10 pm BM calls MG and tells her he is leaving Broomfield because of a “family emergency”.

6:21 pm BM calls SM, no answer

7:21 pm BM calls SM, no answer

7:10 pm LE attempts to contact BM, no response

8:45 pm BM arrives home, ask LE if bike was found.

ETU BM and GD at scene where bike found. LE asks them not to touch bike.

ETU BM and GD start walking away. LE calls BM back. Tells him he has more questions for him.

Monday 5/11/21

1:21 am BM calls SM, no answer
@OldCop

There are additions for your timeline in @NoSI 's notes - page 3 of first document shared here

May 11, 2020
1:06 AM:
BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”. He shared they had dinner the evening of May 9th and that they had a “great day together”. ...(more)

---

Saturday 5/9/21

Evening BM and SM had dinner together per BM's interview 5/11/21 at 1:06am

Monday 5/11/21

1:06 am BM was interviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors