Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just as flabbergasted as ya’ll about this guardianship. I was reading all your posts while getting my hair done...3 months of “Covid gray” finally gone. Woo hoo! But I have been thinking about this guardianship and how quickly it was approved. So the property in Indiana has been for sale right? I thought it had already been sold but then I read that a family member or friend of family (can’t remember exactly but someone they know) was renting the house and was eventually going to purchase it. A rent to own type deal. I think the person is a dentist if I remember correctly. Wasn’t that discussed on WS? If it was a different source I apologize but anyway maybe they were in the process of selling the IN house when Suzanne “disappeared” and maybe the person buying it had to close within a certain timeframe in order to keep the mortgage they were approved for or for some reason the sale was going to fall through unless BM got the guardianship so he could sign for Suzanne. In other words, it was a sale that Suzanne approved of and she wouldn’t want this person to lose the house. Pure speculation and trust me I’m not saying this to defend Barry! He doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed but who would be dumb enough to get a guardianship and sell a property half belonging to your missing wife especially if you were the main suspect? Why give LE a motive? I can’t understand why he has not been named a POI yet by LE especially after this occurred so there must be a reasonable explanation why that guardianship was done so fast and the daughter approved of it. Right? Please don’t let BM be THAT dumb and heartless!!
This is what Seattle1 was saying, and I think it’s definitely possible. I hope so. Just feels dirty to me after just a few weeks of her being missing, but could be BM was told everyone would be better off just to get the sale done and that the guardianship is temporary. Ugh. I just don’t like it.

Ahhhh... like they were in this together and it was staged for money? THAT would be crazy, but that is the world we live in. I have a hard time believing she would put her kids through anything though....

I wasn't thinking in terms of SM being part of a ruse in order to gain financially...I was thinking that she was setup for a devastating injury--in order to render her incapable of handling her finances permanently...

Any member can contribute to Ancestry.com; and yes........Ancestry does use *advertiser censored* as a primary source. I believe their policy is that the user must use his/her own reliable sources, such as censuses or actual state records, to cross-check information. IMO
Actually, *advertiser censored* is owned by Ancestry and you can link *advertiser censored* to a person in your tree, without any additional verification.

I’ve been thinking about this and I can understand that it’s tricky. But I keep thinking if my husband disappeared and a few weeks later we were supposed to close on a property sale, would I seek a guardianship to gain control & let the sale go through? If the buyers could be messed up and/or we could be messed up if I didn’t do that? Maybe? I just don’t think I would. Not yet. It just feels....wrong. IDK. Hopefully I’m never in that position.
If the sale falls through at the end of escrow, both the buyer, seller and their real estate agents stand to lose lots of money, time and effort. I'm guessing that is why BM was granted a guardianship.

I agree...seems like she would. Could be a sibling has the POA....maybe Barry and the sib are on the outs. Who knows? I can't imagine why you wouldn't have a POA/will/ etc. At one time, I know more costly, and people were not as familiar with the docs, I think that's changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Heck half the forms are online, so you need find a notary, no big deal. It's a great peace of mind, IMO, if something happens to you, to have someone you trust, freely able to handle things. I was my Mil's' POA over her own children, and she loved her kids....
Obviously she love and trusts you to make the best decisions.
I lived next door to my elderly yet active parents. My dad worked full time until the age of 89. My brother is a dr. and sister is an attorney. They both lived 2 hrs away. When medical and end of life decisions needed to be made, my siblings deferred to me.

If the sale falls through at the end of escrow, both the buyer, seller and their real estate agents stand to lose lots of money, time and effort. I'm guessing that is why BM was granted a guardianship.
So are we to assume then that SM had herself signed off on the initial contract? And he was just granted the guardianship to finalize at closing without her?

So are we to assume then that SM had herself signed off on the initial contract? And he was just granted the guardianship to finalize at closing without her?
Yes, That is what I'm assuming based on the June 6th closing date. It takes time to close the sale on real property.

Showing, offers, counter offers, lender approval, appraisal, inspector report, settling contingencies, etc are all part of escrow and during COVID 19, the process probably took longer than usual also.

Last edited:
Please post links!! We would love to read whatever you did about this especially if an LE officer was attacked. And if they killed a mountain lion could they tell from stomach contents if it had eaten a human? If it was right after Suzanne disappeared? Sorry that’s morbid but I have heard of that with sharks. This would definitely change my opinion about the “CAT” possibility. If this happened why wouldn’t LE say anything about it like you said if not just to warn people in the area? I read up on mountain lions too and it said they mostly try and stay away from humans but they like to hunt at dawn and dusk. They are more likely to attack if they have cubs. You aren’t ever supposed to turn your back on them and run away or they might think you are prey. If you see one I read that the best thing to do is make noise and make yourself appear as big and loud as you can and slowly back away but most of the time they will run away first. If you are riding by on a bike they could think you are a deer. They like to attack at the back of your neck. Scary.

In the interest of fairness to Colorado cats, I feel the need to pass on the verified report that a young deer with antlers in velvet attacked a five year old boy in his back yard in Colorado Springs, and then came after investigating officers, just the day before yesterday.
5-year-old Colorado Springs boy attacked by a deer, animal put down

Last edited:
This is what Seattle1 was saying, and I think it’s definitely possible. I hope so. Just feels dirty to me after just a few weeks of her being missing, but could be BM was told everyone would be better off just to get the sale done and that the guardianship is
temporary.
Ugh. I just don’t like it.
BBM:

If this was just about getting emergency guardianship so that he could get that single deal done, we wouldn't be staring at court docs showing a pending September court date for "Permanent Guardianship," though.

So there's that.

JMO.

Last edited:
35 pages of a rollercoaster that made me ill like GS case. I just about puked seeing the Approval? There are stupid people in every position, worse when you're a judge. This fool wants to be overturned and waste more time and money. While being a g'd ol boy. Nonetheless, shocking, how many different petitions will follow of other "missing" persons-SCARY!

This is interesting and sickening.

Edit: 4got to say TY to MassGuy-those chuckles got me through mountain lion kidnapper :D

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this and I can understand that it’s tricky. But I keep thinking if my husband disappeared and a few weeks later we were supposed to close on a property sale, would I seek a guardianship to gain control & let the sale go through? If the buyers could be messed up and/or we could be messed up if I didn’t do that? Maybe? I just don’t think I would. Not yet. It just feels....wrong. IDK. Hopefully I’m never in that position.

I like your way of thinking about this. Let's suppose BM is innocent. But they had a much-needed property sale, for which her signature was needed. Whatever PoA she might have had isn't applicable in this real estate transaction. What I'd do is consult with my daughters and an attorney. In my case, at least one of my daughters would step forward to contact an attorney and put me in contact with them - but I really do think I'd lean heavily on what my daughters thought I should do. Since the money may be needed in connection with expenses in Colorado (and in this case, one daughter wants to remain in college there), I would not want my daughters to lose their tuition advantage - or be unable to pay tuition.

If we suppose BM is involved in Suzanne's disappearance, everything gets much murkier. But the daughters probably do not suppose that, given that the adult daughter waived her right to contest. I would not be surprised at all if the daughters believe in their father's innocence and are supporting him.

BBM:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm most certainly not making that assumption.

Are property sale records public in IN, i.e., will we be able to view the sale amount and buyer after the sale has been finalized?

I'm very interested to know if this property was sold to one of BM's relatives.

JMO.

But this must have been in the timeframe right (or near) when she was missing? That swings my hinky meter even more.
The guardianship was the goal all along, IMO. The applicable story is the kidnapping (entirely BM's idea). It's about being unavailable, but not being dead. That story evidently didn't work out for him because it didn't make sense to anyone, so he came up with the "mountain lion" and "bike accident" stories. IMO the goal was the guardianship...
Maybe the "too soon" comment was a slip that he was focused on something other than SM, namely a plan he had worked out to get where he wanted to go that wasn't effectuated yet. A financial or legal plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frito