Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing, I only have wild theories, I think it was a stalker or someone who had been watching her.

But even as I write it I know it's so outlandish. Why would LE be digging at BM workplace?!

But I just think if he is guilty, there would have been some red flags and we would have had more people coming out of the woodwork to talk about him or them as a couple.

It just all feels weird.

MOO

I hear you. I am firmly in the "BM did it" camp and have been for ten days or so now, but my conclusion is based almost entirely on logical inferences and deductive reasoning. In the end:
  • I have ruled all other possibilities out
  • I find everything BM has said and done to be suspect, odd, incriminating
  • I think LE's actions to date indicate they are looking at BM (and more or less only at BM)
  • I have yet to read or hear a good argument as to why we shouldn't believe BM is the culprit*
All just my opinion & perspective, though.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but a few questions about this theory:
  1. this stalker waited down the road and snatched her off her bike? how did he know what time she would be going for a ride? how did he know she'd be alone?
  2. how long was he waiting there? did he have a car? if so, wouldn't passersby have seen this car?
  3. how exactly do you abduct someone who is riding a bicycle? please describe how you think this might have occurred & how this matches up with what we know about the placement of the bike.

1. The stalker could have planted the bike. Why not? He'd been watching all week.
2. Off and on for weeks? Even months? Probably had a car. No one would notice an extra car on a major highway used for recreation in the nearby Monarch Pass area.
3. She wasn't on a bicycle. But if she was, it could still happen. And did - to a young woman about Suzanne's size in Visalia (who was likely killed by Joe DeAngel0).

Girls are pulled off bicycles and assaulted quite a bit. A man grabbed my bike rack when I was 18, and the same man pulled another woman off a bike (and assaulted another woman in a restroom - and later, after I had reported him, assaulted me as well - but while I was walking between classes, in full view of lots of people).

My thoughts .... I think her phone is going to be one of the damning pieces evidence, in this case. I mean ...who wouldn't take their phone with them on a bike ride, (If it did happen), especially on Mother's Day… If she was gone before Sunday, May 9, I think the phone would have been left at the house to show that she was there.
I think, When BM left his house, for that job, he wasn't alone…

Just my moopinion

Last edited:
I like this thought, but I think they might have both things in mind: that is, I think they might be announcing that "canvassing" will take place in order to see if someone does something in response to this announcement that tips said person's hand. But I also think they might believe that they need more information and that some of that information might come from canvassing.

Now, the question is, what kind of canvassing do they have in mind? What parts of Salida and the surrounding area will they be canvassing? What kind of questions will they be asking?

They mention that they're interested not only in information about her disappearance but also "new information". Questions I could see them asking neighbors include:
  • did you see Suzanne on Sunday?
  • did you see any movement in or around the Morphew house on Sunday?
  • did you see anything unusual late Saturday night or early Sunday morning?
  • did you see any cars leaving late at night or early in the morning Friday, Saturday or Sunday?
Questions I could see them asking neighbors or others in the community include:
  • do you know anything that might be relevant to Suzanne's disappearance?
  • do you know anyone who might know something relevant to Suzanne's disappearance?
  • do you know of any rumors that might be relevant to Suzanne's disappearance?
  • did you see or hear anything out of the ordinary on the weekend of her disappearance?
While we might think people who know something relevant would have already called it in as a tip, ordinary folks don't always know what is relevant and what is not and sometimes they have seen or heard something that is more important than they realize.

I believe they've already talked to the neighbors. This is broader (15 miles away in Salida).

I am guessing that by now, since it is the main topic of discussion in small town Salida, that anyone who saw Suzanne would have come forward. Even the elderly neighbor (who is the only neighbor with a clear view of the driveway - and not of the house) had to walk over to see what was going on.

Anyway, I can't imagine that the entire first set of questions you pose wouldn't already have been answered by any regular person in Salida.

The second set is closer, I think, to what they may be asking.

1. The stalker could have planted the bike. Why not? He'd been watching all week.
2. Off and on for weeks? Even months? Probably had a car. No one would notice an extra car on a major highway used for recreation in the nearby Monarch Pass area.
3. She wasn't on a bicycle. But if she was, it could still happen. And did - to a young woman about Suzanne's size in Visalia (who was likely killed by Joe DeAngel0).

Girls are pulled off bicycles and assaulted quite a bit. A man grabbed my bike rack when I was 18, and the same man pulled another woman off a bike (and assaulted another woman in a restroom - and later, after I had reported him, assaulted me as well - but while I was walking between classes, in full view of lots of people).

1. Sorry, but are you saying the stalker assaulted her in the house, but then went into the garage, got the bicycle, drove down the hill and placed the bicycle where LE eventually found it --- all in order to make people think it was not an assault that took place in the house but instead out on the road? For what reason? That makes no sense. Not to mention that means there should have been signs of struggle in the house, evidence in the house pointing to abduction, etc. We have none of that.

2. Well, unless this person was exceptionally lucky, they would have had to have been waiting for Suzanne on the roadside for at least a half hour or so. While their waiting in their car would not necessarily be suspicious to any passerby, passersby would certainly have seen the car and would certainly have reported their sighting of said car to LE. So even if I found the she-was-grabbed-while-out-biking-by-a-stalker theory plausible, I think LE would have a lead on a car, e.g., "we have reports of a red ford truck, etc. etc"

3. She wasn't on a bicycle? How do you know this? If she wasn't on the bicycle, how did it get to be down the road?

4. If Suzanne was in motion on the bike, I do not see how an abductor would simply "grab her". They certainly wouldn't be able to "grab her" (while she was in motion) without some kind of violence both to Suzanne and the bicycle and there would therefore be evidence of this on the road / roadside and on the bike itself. But there isn't any.

If she wasn't on her bicycle, but off the bicycle and stopped by the roadside, well, that raises other questions: one, why would Suzanne stop a half a mile (?) from her house? Two, this guy just got lucky and happened to station himself near where she decided to stop (a half mile from her house)?

I could go on, but the bottom line is I don't find any of the above very plausible, and I don't think LE do either.

Last edited:
My thoughts .... I think her phone is going to be one of the damning pieces evidence, in this case. I mean ...who wouldn't take their phone with them on a bike ride, (If it did happen), especially on Mother's Day… If she was gone before Sunday, May 9, I think the phone would have been left at the house to show that she was there.
I think, When BM left his house, for that job he wasn't alone…

Just my moopinion

I am interested in the other two individuals noted in the TD YT video. (original video showed BM’s truck leaving and TD clearly says there were two others in the truck, this was posted before the video was removed and diced). They surely know something, will they speak during the canvassing?
MOO

I had a theory I presented a couple of weeks ago that BM may have placed SM in the bed of his truck and drove somewhere he could dump some clean fill and not stir up any suspicion. It would be hiding in plain sight. Driving to Denver or wherever with a truck load of soil and no one would have thought anything about it, especially if he has some landscaping logo on his truck.

Depending where the dump site was, even two hours away, though would have released the chemicals associated with a decomposing body. So if subsequent loads of dirt were again put in the truck bed there may have been enough residual cadaverine to alert cadaver dogs of a deceased body even though one was not found.

I believe even if he did go to Denver, he made a detour to a completely different location and dumped the body before traveling on to his job site. No one is questioning his arrival in Denver because no one knows when he left Maysville.

You might want to look up data about decomp and when the earliest hits on body decomp can take place.

If he only had the. body in his truck for 2 hours after death, there would not be enough cadaverine (especially if the body was above a dirt layer). I think this is one reason Kelsey Berreth didn't show up in cadaverine searches of PF's truck - only in the barn where they think the plastic container sat, much later than 2 hours after her death.

Indeed, one could expect that a criminal planning a murder might look into this.

Really, breakdown of a mammalian body doesn't start until about 12 hours and doesn't produce detectable amounts of cadaverine (as judged by both dogs and electronic sniffers) until at least 24 hours.

If the body was in the truck (within a pile of dirt) for 24-48 hrs, most of the scent would be in the dirt. At any rate, somewhere along a road somewhere, there would have to be a pile of dirt - or a newly dug grave. Or the dirt is inside a mine shaft, I guess. When it gets that elaborate, my brains are scrambled.

So I think someone could easily have used a truck to transport the body, if it was done soon, and the dogs would not hit on said truck, if examined.

If the photo ( regardless of the year taken) was posted on 5/9/20, it is entirely possible that it was posted by someone other than SM. JMO
From personal experience, I log in automatically on most websites. So, technically, if I had a facebook account on a family computer, and/or no security password on my other cell phone or other computer devices, anyone could log in and post something on my social media accounts.

Another thing - never use Google offer to store your passwords, because several phones on your data plan can access them.

I just don't know what it is with this case. I still believe BM is innocent. Maybe me and 2 other people on here!

If you asked me why, I would say gut feeling. Which I myself know is silly and not enough.
I know that's not how it works here. Especially when everything LE are doing is pointing towards him being a suspect.

I just feel there is something else we don't understand going on behind the scene. There are many little things that nag at me.

The fact there haven't been any ill words said against their marriage or word of an affair also makes me they genuinely are happily married.

But I think the major part of my hesitation is the recent awful case of Heidi Broussard.

I absolutely had the fiancee already convicted in my mind. The interviews he gave, the turning the phone on silent, referring to his baby daughter as a woman. I was sure he was guilty. We all know how the case ended. :eek:

I also think that is why the MODS are so hot on this thread about not sleuthing the husband. Because you never, ever know.

MOO

It is very lonely on this side of the fence and I accept I'll probably come crawling, embarrassed over to the other side in the future. Not yet though. :oops:
You wrote, as reason you believe in BM’s innocence: “The fact there haven't been any ill words said against their marriage or word of an affair also makes me they genuinely are happily married.”

The reverse of this can also be true. Not a friend or relative has offered information that the BM/SM marriage was happy, healthy and loving. Nobody has said that BM was devoted to SM and would never have affairs. Likewise, no one has mentioned that BM was an even keeled guy who would never act in an argumentative, aggressive manner or lose his temper.

IMO

Just my moopinion

Agree with you about the phone. Also, your comment about leaving it at the house makes me wonder if it was intentionally tossed by the perp at a specific time to make it appear that she left the house and went on a bike ride with her phone in tow, since having it with her would be expected ... in which case her phone could be the missing article found by LE.

Among other data, location tracking will likely be very useful to figuring out her whereabouts, and when.

Last edited:
Really? Wow I just saw this...thanks! The way the river flows and all the damns etc I had almost written this off. But if someone drove there and dumped the box/safe into the water. Someone who was familiar with the route? Maybe still a possibility? How long will it take to ID? Wouldn’t they check the DNA with SM’s? How long does that take?? I feel certain several experts on here could walk us through their type of process. Please & TIA!
I am actually surprised it wasn’t the missing Wichita young woman. I suppose that dental records would be a rapid way to exclude a victim, rather than waiting for DNA. I wish LE would announce the sex of the deceased. The Ninnescah river is apparently private. so I guess it would be a more discreet place to leave a body. The fishermen who found it were trespassing. Curious.

You wrote, as reason you believe in BM’s innocence: “The fact there haven't been any ill words said against their marriage or word of an affair also makes me they genuinely are happily married.”

The reverse of this can also be true. Not a friend or relative has offered information that the BM/SM marriage was happy, healthy and loving. Nobody has said that BM was devoted to SM and would never have affairs. Likewise, no one has mentioned that BM was an even keeled guy who would never act in an argumentative, aggressive manner or lose his temper.

IMO
This is so true it gives me the chills.

Welp shoot. I thought by now there would have been evidence revealed that they dug up from under the cement at the job site. Really makes you wonder what in the heck led them there to do that?
Ill try to find the link, but a poster linked an article where the Sheriff said a "tip" lead them there.
If anyone else can remember where that came from please help.
:0)

Just my moopinion
Great thought process...

1. phone is going to be one of the damning pieces evidence
Bam!

2. who wouldn't take their phone with them on a bike ride, (If it did happen), especially on Mother's Day
Alledgedly her daughter's were arriving home, she would want that phone strapped to her to keep in contact with them. Moms do that anyway, now add that it was Mothers day.

3. I think this happened on the eve of the 8th or on the 9th...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500