Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
BM Confession? Clergy Privilege?
... I haven't ruled out BM confessing to a clergy member ... I think it's possible he believes that a confession/asking of forgiveness of some kind would save him from hell...
@Hoosierfan72 sbm Interesting thought, esp'ly in connection w your post about 1931 Minnesota Supreme Court ruling re the clergy-penitent privilege.
Your posts lured me down the rabbit hole to a law review article "The Pastor on the Witness Stand: Toward a Religious Privilege in the Courts" which briefly referenced:

"... a murder case, when the defendant expressed his intention to kill his wife and her paramour to his friend and frequent companion, who happened to be a clergyman, the privilege was not available..." ** bbm

Not drawing parallels to SM's disappearance. Just saying stuff happens. my2cts.

Article discusses various state statutes and six factors: "1. Who may exercise the privilege? 2. Who are clergy to whom privileged communications can be made? 3. Who is bound by the exercise of the privilege? 4. Which communications fall within the privilege? 5. Where can the privilege be claimed? 6. What idiosyncrasies exist in the particular jurisdiction's rule?"
** Quotation in post is from digital page number 12, and hard copy page number 11.
The case is Burger v. State, 238 Ga. 171, 172, 231 S.E.2d 769, 771, and full appellate opinion rendered in GA in 1977 is at
Burger v. State, 231 S.E.2d 769, 238 Ga. 171 – CourtListener.com

Last edited:
Not a legitimate one, as I can’t find a documented case of an actual murder being committed by by one of those hitmen sites.

Some of them have made quite a bit of money though, and it’s one of the few times I enjoy reading about people being ripped off.

Besides that, hitmen do not remove bodies, or commit the staging that happened here. There’s plenty more problems than that though.

48 Hours had an episode on this sort of thing a year or two ago. Here’s a more recent NYT article:

Can You Really Hire a Hit Man on the Dark Web?
Agree.
I have never ruled this out... what if Barry had a male friend?

MOO Really seems like domestic control, abuse financial crime. BM may not know how the police track back through time to see if there is evidence of the stages of behavior leading to murder, and that they go into all murder, missing, suicide investigations with a long list of things to check out/and or eliminate. Especially looking for things like staging, since staging is common in domestic violence murders.

Agree.

MOO Really seems like domestic control, abuse financial crime. BM may not know how the police track back through time to see if there is evidence of the stages of behavior leading to murder, and that they go into all murder, missing, suicide investigations with a long list of things to check out/and or eliminate. Especially looking for things like staging, since staging is common in domestic violence murders.
Yup. Staging occurs when someone close to the victim attempts to misdirect law enforcement. They know that they will be a prime suspect, and staging the scene is an effort to draw law enforcement attention away from where it would otherwise go.

In many cases, burglary or robbery is the tool used to do this. In those cases though, there is a body left behind.

In this case, a bicycle was almost certainly used in order to fool law enforcement into believing a kidnapping occurred, while the victim’s husband was many miles away.

Another thing closely related to staging is cleaning the crime scene. In a case like this, it would be an effort to make it appear that no crime occurred.

If the house was cleaned or the bike was planted, then there’s only one suspect.

I'm close to Suzanne's age (a little older). I have SnapChat, WhatsApp, and House Party on my phone. I use SnapChat regularly and love that I can text (and videochat) back and forth and it doesn't hog up my memory. My cousin is a high school teacher and she keeps me pretty current. Suzanne had high-school-aged daughters - it's possible they shared these apps with her. There seems to be a lot of assumption around the fact that if she used these apps it was to hide communication from BM; I'm just saying that is not necessarily the case. Sure, it WOULD be hidden from him, but it wasn't necessarily the reason for her using the app.

To be clear, I am not sitting on any fences, but we can't make assumptions about the information we learn.
THANK YOU!!! ITA. nothing strange about using those apps. imo

I think if anyone is afraid to come forward, it’s not out of fear of BM or his friends. In cases like this, it generally has to do with with the personal price (media attention, and secrets being exposed).

Anecdotally at least, it seems to happen all the time.
yes, like maybe the man in question is also married.. jmo

@Hoosierfan72 sbm Interesting thought, esp'ly in connection w your post about 1931 Minnesota Supreme Court ruling re the clergy-penitent privilege.
Your posts lured me down the rabbit hole to a law review article "The Pastor on the Witness Stand: Toward a Religious Privilege in the Courts" which briefly referenced:

"... a murder case, when the defendant expressed his intention to kill his wife and her paramour to his friend and frequent companion, who happened to be a clergyman, the privilege was not available..." ** bbm

Article discusses various state statutes and six factors: "1. Who may exercise the privilege? 2. Who are clergy to whom privileged communications can be made? 3. Who is bound by the exercise of the privilege? 4. Which communications fall within the privilege? 5. Where can the privilege be claimed? 6. What idiosyncrasies exist in the particular jurisdiction's rule?"
** Quotation in post is from digital page number 12, and hard copy page number 11.
The case is Burger v. State, 238 Ga. 171, 172, 231 S.E.2d 769, 771, and full appellate opinion rendered in GA in 1977 is at
JMO but I doubt he confessed or will ever confess. Not good for his image.

JMO but I doubt he confessed or will ever confess. Not good for his image.
I don't think he will confess either. But in leaning on his faith, his pastor or other church members, he may have unconsciously said something incriminating.

His public statement that Suzanne would say that if one person was saved from all this it would be worth it, led to people questioning his meaning behind it.

He might be most comfortable with members of his church and more likely to open up to them. Someone may have noticed if he's made inconsistent statements or some that just don't add up. Imo

I don't think he will confess either. But in leaning on his faith, his pastor or other church members, he may have unconsciously said something incriminating.

His public statement that Suzanne would say that if one person was saved from all this it would be worth it, led to people questioning his meaning behind it.

He might be most comfortable with members of his church and more likely to open up to them. Someone may have noticed if he's made inconsistent statements or some that just don't add up. Imo

I hope you are right. But I don’t think he is really a religious person no matter how he has tried to appear as such. I can’t see him even attending religious services since May 10th, virtual or not. Someone who has behaved as he has is not a truly religious person. So I don’t see him as being able to identify with other church members because he as fake as a $3 bill.

Although Mr. Moorman passed without finding out what happened to his daughter, I believe he did recently have a conversation with one or both of his granddaughters thanks to his son, AM.
He also had the peace of mind knowing that AM will continue the fight to find justice for SM.
R.I.P., Mr. Moorman.
Hopefully Mr. Moorman at the very end didn't have an unwanted visitor, who had some documents in his hands for a last signing.

EXXXXXACTLYYY. I would venture to guess maybe a hot headed altercation with another member. He’s displayed his temper several times in recent months, even if it was just through a phone conversation. He’s a hot head! All MOO
If BM was accompanied by buddies and another single member bullied BM, then there might have happened a mass brawl even. :p We don't know, if more members than one person (BM) got the push out off Gym. - Speculation!

Typically the privilege would not apply to anticipated killing (even attorney client doesn’t apply if someone says they are going to kill someone and there is imminent danger). But if it happened in past the privilege usually applies.

I am thankful that someone gave us this glimpse into Suzanne in life. I appreciate this gift and I am cautious with it-I do not want crazies hunting this individual down and making them miserable. It would be wonderful if they could remain private unless they would like to come forward publicly. But that’s just me.

I am thankful that someone gave us this glimpse into Suzanne in life. I appreciate this gift and I am cautious with it-I do not want crazies hunting this individual down and making them miserable. It would be wonderful if they could remain private unless they would like to come forward publicly. But that’s just me.

Good point @DizzyB and well taken.
I have edited my own post above, for discretion.

I assure you, it's not just you.
The privacy of people connected to this case matters.
Thank you for this.

Yea, I think it’s a compete dead end. It doesn’t sound like he even knows how Facebook works, let alone something like the “dark web.”

I tend to agree, however I wouldn’t correlate not knowing the ins and outs of Facebook and accessing the dark net, especially if he was coached on how to access the darknet via a group or individual that uses it for illegal purposes.

You can download the onion tor browser and be on the darknet in minutes. The good news is that doing it that way leaves a lot of info that is pretty easily traceable.

Suzanne Morphew case: Colorado authorities renew call for info on missing mom 6 months after disappearance
snipped
Spezze called on anyone who may have engaged with Morphew on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp to come forward if they haven’t already been interviewed, “regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.” He said those individuals should contact the case tip line at 719-312-7530.
-----------------------------
very curious what is going on with her social media - it's pretty specific - IMO they want this "someone" to come forward. and it is important.
JMO

Suzanne Morphew case: Colorado authorities renew call for info on missing mom 6 months after disappearance
snipped
Spezze called on anyone who may have engaged with Morphew on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp to come forward if they haven’t already been interviewed, “regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.” He said those individuals should contact the case tip line at 719-312-7530.
-----------------------------
very curious what is going on with her social media - it's pretty specific - IMO they want this "someone" to come forward. and it is important.
JMO

Yes.

And I would guess subpoenas to the various social media companies are in progress.

It will be much easier on ALL involved if folks who were chatting with SM on the apps come forward sooner, rather than later.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member