Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

And I would guess subpoenas to the various social media companies are in progress.

It will be much easier on ALL involved if folks who were chatting with SM on the apps come forward sooner, rather than later.

jmo
This brings me back to the dark web comment by PE. Is it possible a DV support group would utilize the DW to protect the identity of its’ participants? Someplace safe to talk about their situation? Just a thought. Not everything on the DW is nefarious.
Ed:sp

Last edited:
This brings me back to the dark web comment by PE. Is it possible a DV support group would utilize the DW to protect the identify of it’s participants? Someplace safe to talk about their situation? Just a thought. Not everything on the DW is nefarious.

Could be?
I have so much to learn about this dark web stuff. :(

Tor Is Being Used as a Safe Haven for Victims of Cyberstalking

The onion router can hide a victim’s identity long enough for them to research where to find help, and look up what data they can find about themselves without tipping off their stalker that they’re online, he said.

"It's incredibly easy to use technology to control someone."

Ironically, the moment a victim reaches out for help is the most dangerous time; the risk of being harmed or even killed increases, said Lewman. "If the victim is gaining some control over their lives, this enrages and infuriates the abuser," he said. David Adams, co-executive director at the Emerge Center Against Domestic abuse, told Beta Boston that cyberstalking increases the risk that domestic violence will escalate to homicide.

I tend to agree, however I wouldn’t correlate not knowing the ins and outs of Facebook and accessing the dark net, especially if he was coached on how to access the darknet via a group or individual that uses it for illegal purposes.

You can download the onion tor browser and be on the darknet in minutes. The good news is that doing it that way leaves a lot of info that is pretty easily traceable.

They don't have the transcript enabled so I had to do it the old fashioned way :)

From the PE guys 2 days ago where the "dark web" was brought up:

24:00 MK: As Chris said, now with the holidays moving forward, we have been digging deep into social media platforms and others as we continue to search this out. We've been in both the uh, open web, and the dark web. And we would encourage law enforcement, if they don't know how to search the dark web, reach out to us and let us help you because there are organizations that will work only with law enforcement to help you explore the dark web and explore things that people think they've hidden away. We've been able to find a lot of that, and it's been very interesting to us, and it's helped us to continue to focus in on where we think uh, things are going.

----

Re-listening, was very helpful.
Chris was merely offering LE assistance in connecting them with other professionals that only work with LE on dark web matters.
He wasn't offering his or MK's assistance.
While we do know the FBI's ERT team has been assisting in that capacity, we don't know the scope of the FBI's involvement other than their evidence response team, and that does make a big difference.
While they didn't give any details or mention who left a footprint on the "dark web", it is rather interesting that there's a connection to this case, and that whoever it is, seems to think they've hidden things away (when they actually have not).

I suspect I know what they're referring to but I guess we're going to have to wait for official word from LE on this.

This brings me back to the dark web comment by PE. Is it possible a DV support group would utilize the DW to protect the identity of its’ participants? Someplace safe to talk about their situation? Just a thought. Not everything on the DW is nefarious.

Possible: yes. Probable: no.

They were specifically referring to finding information that someone thought they had hidden.
The way they worded that, and their body language (facial expressions for both of them) lead me to believe they were not talking about SM being the one hiding things.

But, that is entirely jmo.

They don't have the transcript enabled so I had to do it the old fashioned way :)

24:00 MK: As Chris said, now with the holidays moving forward, we have been digging deep into social media platforms and others as we continue to search this out. We've been in both the uh, open web, and the dark web. And we would encourage law enforcement, if they don't know how to search the dark web, reach out to us and let us help you because there are organizations that will work only with law enforcement to help you explore the dark web and explore things that people think they've hidden away. We've been able to find a lot of that, and it's been very interesting to us, and it's helped us to continue to focus in on where we think uh, things are going.

----

Chris was merely offering LE assistance in connecting them with other professionals that only work with LE on dark web matters.
While we do know the FBI's ERT team has been assisting in that capacity, we don't know the scope of the FBI's involvement other than their evidence response team, and that does make a big difference.
While they didn't give any details or mention who left a footprint on the "dark web", it is rather interesting that there's a connection to this case, and that whoever it is, seems to think they've hidden things away (when they actually have not).

I suspect I know what they're referring to but I guess we're going to have to wait for official word from LE on this.

We've been able to find a lot of that, and it's been very interesting to us, and it's helped us to continue to focus in on where we think uh, things are going.
This statement is interesting. I think we have a good idea where things are heading too. This may be an indication that the DV piece can be found on the dark web.
Totally speculation.

----

So in other words they were offering LE their assistance.
Sorry I would be surprised if LE needs their assistance in anything concerning the DW.
IMO.

I’m sorry but my curiosity got the best of me and I read a bit and decided t0 delve into how the dark web “works”. I did the Tor browser and all that and I have to say that I’m betting that Barry cannot navigate the dark web. There might be info in there but I don’t think Barry used it to hire a hit man.

Completely agree. The topic of the dark web is akin to human trafficking - it's always brought up but never the reality. To say I don't think Barry is technically savvy enough to find the dark web is an understatement.

The reality is usually much more mundane and I think it will be in this case too, despite all the cryptic hints from the PE guys.

Seeing that video of Suzanne broke my heart. Fly high, beautiful warrior.

So in other words they were offering LE their assistance.
Sorry I would be surprised if LE needs their assistance in anything concerning the DW.
IMO.

I have no idea if the CCSO has any kind of training at all, in exploring the dark web.
How much dark web crime does CCSO usually investigate?
Since they're the lead on this case, it makes sense to offer up info that would direct them to this organization MK was referring to, that only works with LE.

I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt.
They're trying to help, and they've done some pretty great things so far.

jmo

They were specifically referring to finding information that someone thought they had hidden.
The way they worded that, and their body language (facial expressions for both of them) lead me to believe they were not talking about SM being the one hiding things.

I’m feeling a little lost. Would the hiding mean that whoever did harm to SM hid activity on the web? As in possibly cyberstalking her, conversing with others for illicit activity, purchasing illegal items, any or all of the above?

Could you spell out a scenario?

edit:typo

Last edited:
Suzanne Morphew case: Colorado authorities renew call for info on missing mom 6 months after disappearance
snipped
Spezze called on anyone who may have engaged with Morphew on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp to come forward if they haven’t already been interviewed, “regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.” He said those individuals should contact the case tip line at 719-312-7530.
-----------------------------
very curious what is going on with her social media - it's pretty specific - IMO they want this "someone" to come forward. and it is important.
JMO

My guess is that they have the metadata related to her usage of these apps - they may even know the when and where of when she last used them, but because they don't have her phone, they don't have the substance/content of those messages. And they would very very much like to.

I’m feeling a little lost. Would the hiding mean that whoever did harm to SM hid activity on the web? As in possible cyberstalking her, conversing with others for illicit activity, purchasing illegal items, any or all of the above?

Could you spell out a scenario?

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Keeping in mind this is entirely JMO, but the impression they gave me was that whoever is responsible for the disapearrance of SM is the same person that has accessed and/or attempted to use the DW for illegal activity (or at the very least, activity that needed to be hidden, hence using the DW for it).
One does not need to know how to use FB, to know how to access the DW.
There are countless sites out there that tell you exactly how to do it.

Again, all of this is entirely speculation based on those annoying hints the PE guys drop. :cool:

This is intriguing! It sounds smart as heck! If n0thing is saved to traditional searches, and a typical look at browser history shows nothing, the dark web sounds like a smart move for DV groups, especially in pandemic times. How untraceable is it?

This is intriguing! It sounds smart as heck! If n0thing is saved to traditional searches, and a typical look at browser history shows nothing, the dark web sounds like a smart move for DV groups, especially in pandemic times. How untraceable is it?

I've never heard of any DV support group using the dark web.

I have no idea if the CCSO has any kind of training at all, in exploring the dark web.
How much dark web crime does CCSO usually investigate?
Since they're the lead on this case, it makes sense to offer up info that would direct them to this organization MK was referring to, that only works with LE.

I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt.
They're trying to help, and they've done some pretty great things so far.

jmo
CCSO wouldn’t have that knowledge, but the task force consists of CCSO, CBI, and FBI. The latter had extensive knowledge when it comes to that sort of thing, which is partially why they are there in the first place (resources and experience).

Although CCSO is the lead agency, it appears to me that they have deferred to CBI and FBI when it comes to interviews. I imagine they’ve also left the technical side to these agencies as well.

So it would be unnecessary for the sheriff’s department to bring in some outside organization, when they already have access to the best.

Agree.

I highly doubt it. All you’d need is some sort of app that protects your activity from your abuser. There’s no reason to go to those lengths.

I highly doubt it. All you’d need is some sort of app that protects your activity from your abuser. There’s no reason to go to those lengths.
I think that Robin McGraw, Dr. Phil's wife, has some kind of DV app that is disguised as something else, if I'm not mistaken (which I could be). ;)

When I think of dark web, I think about BM buying steroids from the dark web or his fellow gym rats buying them from there.

I also think about hitmen advertising on the dark web and being paid in cryptocurrency.

Of course, I have no idea how to get to "that" place.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members