Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh - one more thing. Does anyone else get a bit of a weird vibe from Suzanne's love letters to BM?

Of course this is speculation, but the way that SM gushes about him, describes their relationship as "exciting" and describes the things they've been through together feels like she is appealing to him, or that they are part of a cycle of abuse and reconciliation. JMO.
Absolutely agree.
She assures him she remembers him from before.
Before what?

I confess, I didn't follow all the Indiana real estate discussion but, wasn't the whole guardianship business due to the sale of a home in IN that was already in the sale process before SM went missing? Making it a necessity for him to file those papers to close that deal & honor any legal agreements?

Only strange in that I have to wonder, with an obligation so short term and coming up so soon that they were both aware of and Suzanne with cancer, why didn't BM have a POA, from Suzanne to complete the transaction? Seems strange to me. My spouse would have it for everything, to take care of business. It's so common nowadays (even without the cancer) Only makes sense.

I don't doubt that BM used the shower and left wet towels on the floor. The smell could have come from the water itself, since chlorine is commonly used to purify tap water.

Many people have complained about chlorine poisoning in hotels, especially those who stayed in rooms close to the pool. Just because the pool wasn't open to the public doesn't mean they drained the water from it and stopped treating it.

I just don't think BM used bleach there to clean up a crime scene or to clean his tools.

I'm more interested in where he was from the time he left his house and the time he left Broomfield around 5:00 pm. I think he used the hotel room for a nap and a shower. And maybe to open his mail.

Imo
Totally agree. I, too, have been in hotels with indoor pools where the smell of the chlorine was great. I think he showered, napped and read mail.

Only strange in that I have to wonder, with an obligation so short term and coming up so soon that they were both aware of and Suzanne with cancer, why didn't BM have a POA, from Suzanne to complete the transaction? Seems strange to me. My spouse would have it for everything, to take care of business. It's so common nowadays (even without the cancer) Only makes sense.

It does seem reasonable for sure, but for whatever reason they had between them, BM didn't have SM's POA before she went "missing".

I confess, I didn't follow all the Indiana real estate discussion but, wasn't the whole guardianship business due to the sale of a home in IN that was already in the sale process before SM went missing? Making it a necessity for him to file those papers to close that deal & honor any legal agreements?
Yes, that was discussed in response to the earlier posts in previous threads.

It seemed like BM made other sales or purchases after Suzanne went missing and imo it's as if he did this with unseemly haste.
If (as BM suggested in one of his many 'scenarios'; iirc.) she was abducted (hence his reasoning that the daughters were terrified to return to the house on PP); that should have been first and foremost on his mind and not the sale of any property.
Was the money accrued from the sale used to aid in the search for Suzanne ?
I'm also curious if BM bought any additional property to add to his real estate after his wife 'vanished' ?
MOO

I wholeheartedly agree everyone should have a Will and a General POA, (add a POA- healthcare and a specific DNR state form).

In Suzanne's case it's a gray area to me. BM and SM might have had a POA, but a POA is no longer valid upon death. I suspect that is why BM needed legal "Guardianship" to close the real estate transaction. If she was alive, the POA would have been sufficient, if she had been declared as deceased, her Will or Trust would be the overriding legal document.

IANAL, so attorney's - please jump in here!

The Daily Mail also picked up the obituary story, which warms my heart. I love it when widely read publications turn up the heat.

Missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew, 49, is 'presumed dead' in her father's obituary | Daily Mail Online

Gene lost his cancer battle without any closure in the case of his daughter's disappearance, which has baffled detectives and captivated the American public.

However, Gene's obituary indicates that he did not expect Suzanne to be found alive and well.

The death notice, published in The Herald Bulletin, states: 'Gene is preceded in death by his parents; an infant brother; the mother of his children, Adrienne (Burnett) Owen; wife, Lou Ann; and missing and presumed dead, daughter, Suzanne Morphew.'

In lieu of flowers, Gene's obituary also asks mourners to make a donation to their local domestic violence organization.
59087A4D-9A9E-4EF0-A3F5-74957BF4E11B.jpeg

I've wondered if they weren't a part of some sort of therapy.

We've all wondered where the letters and cards from BM are and why they weren't also presented during that interview. But BM doesn't strike me as a card sort of guy.

All MOO
If they were some type of therapy, I would expect that SM had also received similar, even brief notes from BM.

I'd think BM would know where those notes were and would have shared them.

Loving correspondence appears to be rather one sided...

Yes, that was discussed in response to the earlier posts in previous threads.

It seemed like BM made other sales or purchases after Suzanne went missing and imo it's as if he did this with unseemly haste.
If (as BM suggested in one of his many 'scenarios'; iirc.) she was abducted (hence his reasoning that the daughters were terrified to return to the house on PP); that should have been first and foremost on his mind and not the sale of any property.
Was the money accrued from the sale used to aid in the search for Suzanne ?
I'm also curious if BM bought any additional property to add to his real estate after his wife 'vanished' ?
MOO
IIRC, BM was awarded Temporary Guardianship of SM in early June in order to complete the pending real estate transaction/sale in Indiana.

He subsequently filed a petition for permanent Guardianship, which was awarded by an Indiana Judge sometime in early September, and yes, he’s made some sales and purchases since he was awarded the permanent guardianship i.e., selling/sold the Family home, new truck etc. Not sure if he purchased any other new property since being awarded the permanent Guardianship (did he purchase the Condo in Poncha Springs or renting it-?).
I also remember reading somewhere about a plot he was either in the process of purchasing and/or had already purchased in Longhorn Ranch subdivision, but can’t remember if this occurred before or after the permanent Guardianship of SM was awarded to BM.

At any rate, I agree with you that the above was done in unseemly haste, considering his wife of 26 yrs., love of his life, is “missing”.

You’d think he had more important things on his mind, you know, doing public pleas via the MSM, handing out flyers, planning organized searches and Vigil etc., but no, business as usual for ole BM. It’s as if he knows she’s not ever coming home, or something. (insert sarcasm).

SMDH.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
The question is, does he have temporary guardianship or has he pursued permanent guardianship?
He pursued & was granted permanent guardianship in Sept. after filing & receiving a temporary guardianship in June.
Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Temporary Guardianship: Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

Permanent Guardianship: Husband of missing Colorado mom spent the night before her disappearance at cheap Denver hotel | Daily Mail Online
DailyMail.com can also reveal Barry was granted guardianship of Suzanne in order to sell a property in their native Indiana on Tuesday after a 30-minute Zoom hearing.

ETA:^^^ @fcavanaugh stated much better than me above.

Oh - one more thing. Does anyone else get a bit of a weird vibe from Suzanne's love letters to BM?

Of course this is speculation, but the way that SM gushes about him, describes their relationship as "exciting" and describes the things they've been through together feels like she is appealing to him, or that they are part of a cycle of abuse and reconciliation. JMO.

I got a distinctly negative vibe from them, too.

"I remember when…" remarks have a certain elegiac quality.
There was a wistful tone to that note.

SM wasn't looking ahead with anticipation.
She was hearkening back to a very distant time in their shared past.

It put me in mind of the opening to Star Wars: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…"

Like she wished they could go back to the way things used to be between them.

Either that, or it was a case of her "wishing she had known then what she knew now."

It sounded very much to me like someone who was delivering a eulogy.
Remembering fond memories from the past.

Not at all focused on looking ahead to a shared future.

If that's a love letter, it's one of the saddest love letters ever written.

JMO.

Last edited:
If they were some type of therapy, I would expect that SM had also received similar, even brief notes from BM.

I'd think BM would know where those notes were and would have shared them.

Loving correspondence appears to be rather one sided...

BBM:

I think that entire relationship was one-sided.

I've said it before:

One thing BM and SM shared was the fact that they were both in love with the same person.

JMO.

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose@stephaniebutzer
Update: Chris Schaefer with CBI said the remains are not in any way connected to the case of #SuzanneMorphew. “We have absolutely no indication whatsoever that these two cases are connected. ... Sadly, Morphew is not the only missing person from southern Colorado.”

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose@stephaniebutzer
· 52m
After the remains of three people were discovered in a rural part of Conejos County, authorities announced today that they are searching for 26-year-old suspect Adre Jordan Baroz. He's known by the nickname "Psycho." Suspect — nicknamed 'Psycho' — wanted after remains of 3 people found in Conejos County

Thanks for posting this, Knox.

They haven’t yet identified the Conejos County remains, but they clearly state that they are NOT tied to the SM case.

That speaks volumes to me.
LE knows what happened to Suzanne Morphew.

They just need to tie up loose ends to proceed with an arrest.

jmo

Yeah, I'm not convinced that BM was the one who was responsible for the chlorine smell, or even that it was that strong.

MG claimed the smell was so strong that it stung her eyes as soon as she opened the door to the room. Yet neither she nor JP complained to the hotel and JP stayed in the room inhaling the vapors all night?
I really wasn’t convinced about the MG/JP bleach story until...... After BM heard what they had to say, he was like “Oh yeah, I smelled the bleach, too.” Like if he didn’t smell it, it meant he made the smell. MOO

I really wasn’t convinced about the MG/JP bleach story until...... After BM heard what they had to say, he was like “Oh yeah, I smelled the bleach, too.” Like if he didn’t smell it, it meant he made the smell. MOO

BBM:

Oh, I have no doubt BM smelled the bleach.

In fact, I'm sure the scent of it positively overwhelmed his nostrils.

JMO.

Last edited:
Did SM Know of Father's Cancer?
@Trocroc9 Thx for your ^crimeonline.com link, which led me to kgab.com, the Nov 16 source.*
I recall reading SM was not aware of her Father's illness, but from his "nearly year long battle"** (so, starting approx late autumn 2019?), seems by MoDay/early May, SM may have known. Maybe SM was told of his diagnosis but not the imminent fatal prognosis for him.
Or maybe fam member who said 'nearly year long' miscalculated a bit; ; or reporter may have misheard, etc.
Doubtful that timing or SM's knowledge is relevant to anything, just caught my attn.

-----------------
* Missing Colorado Woman Presumed Dead in Father's Obituary
** "Gene Moorman, the father of missing Chaffee County woman Suzanne Morphew, died Wednesday (Nov. 11) after a nearly year-long battle with cancer." bbm

Last edited:
In my experience as a closer, most couples don't use a power of attorney unless one of them is going to be away or there are other extenuating circumstances. A preponderance of title and escrow losses due to forgery, generally involve a forged POA somewhere along the line, which can also include the notary. Just because someone presents you with a power of attorney, that does not mean you have to accept it.

If a party to the transaction was planning to sign with a POA, it would be specific and limited to that transaction, prepared by us, using our form, notarized by us or by a company approved traveling notary (no random notaries) and recorded. If someone presented us with an existing POA, it would have to be approved by our legal department and the original POA delivered to us for recording.

There are very few documents to sign if you are a seller and usually the only one that needs to be notarized is the deed. Suzanne was likely planning to sign the seller documents; she could review the settlement statement and the instructions to the title company as to where the proceeds of the sale were to be wired. No need to travel to Indiana for closing, the title company could send the documents to an approved notary in the Salida area and he/she would take the documents to them at their home for them to sign.

If you want to torture someone, ask them sign loan documents for you with a POA. In addition to their own signature (if it's your spouse), they get to sign your full name AND write by their name, her attorney in fact each time they sign your name.

MOO

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
IIRC, BM was awarded Temporary Guardianship of SM in early June in order to complete the pending real estate transaction/sale in Indiana.

He subsequently filed a petition for permanent Guardianship, which was awarded by an Indiana Judge sometime in early September, and yes, he’s made some sales and purchases since he was awarded the permanent guardianship i.e., selling/sold the Family home, new truck etc. Not sure if he purchased any other new property since being awarded the permanent Guardianship (did he purchase the Condo in Poncha Springs or renting it-?).
I also remember reading somewhere about a plot he was either in the process of purchasing and/or had already purchased in Longhorn Ranch subdivision, but can’t remember if this occurred before or after the permanent Guardianship of SM was awarded to BM.

At any rate, I agree with you that the above was done in unseemly haste, considering his wife of 26 yrs., love of his life, is “missing”.

You’d think he had more important things on his mind, you know, doing public pleas via the MSM, handing out flyers, planning organized searches and Vigil etc., but no, business as usual for ole BM. SMDH.

IMHO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

He didn't need the guardianship to acquire new property in his name, just the proceeds from the sale of the Indiana property.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member