Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the last update from LE 3 months ago.

“We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.”

Part of LE’s update from 5 months ago. (It wasn’t me who capitalized and bolded “ONLY“)

“As with any investigation our responsibility and priority is to determine the facts and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Our sole focus is either finding Suzanne or determining the circumstances behind her disappearance and the only way to do this is to keep the information gathered as the result of this investigation under seal....
Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”

Sorry, maybe I didn't read back far enough. What point are you trying to make?

Sorry, maybe I didn't read back far enough. What point are you trying to make?
Based on what we’ve seen and heard from LE in the last 6 months, why does the language appear to have backed away from a crime being committed? Why is LE reluctant to tell us that they believe something unlawful happened to Suzanne? If LE believes something bad happened to Suzanne, is it any of our business?

Part of LE’s update from 5 months ago. (It wasn’t me who capitalized and bolded “ONLY“)

“As with any investigation our responsibility and priority is to determine the facts and maintain the integrity of the investigation. Our sole focus is either finding Suzanne or determining the circumstances behind her disappearance and the only way to do this is to keep the information gathered as the result of this investigation under seal....
Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”
Yes, in other words they are saying they need to protect the investigation and are not going to release any details that might jeopardize the case.

LE has a duty and responsible to protect evidence that is gathered during an investigation. They need to protect a defendant's rights to due process and a fair trial. At the trial they have a duty to disclose all evidence they plan to use against the defendant.

And most of all, Suzanne and her family deserve justice.

They may be building the case on circumstantial evidence alone. Without a body, it can take a long time. They may not have physical evidence that ties a suspect to a crime.

The one person who wants to know these details more than anybody is likely the suspect.

The fact that they aren't releasing any information to the public might mean they have plenty of useful evidence to protect.

Imo

Yes, in other words they are saying they need to protect the investigation and are not going to release any details that might jeopardize the case.

LE has a duty and responsible to protect evidence that is gathered during an investigation. They need to protect a defendant's rights to due process and a fair trial. At the trial they have a duty to disclose all evidence they plan to use against the defendant.

And most of all, Suzanne and her family deserve justice.

They may be building the case on circumstantial evidence alone. Without a body, it can take a long time. They may not have physical evidence that ties a suspect to a crime.

The one person who wants to know these details more than anybody is likely the suspect.

The fact that they aren't releasing any information to the public might mean they have plenty of useful evidence to protect.

Imo
The amount of useful information LE is sitting on will determine how soon we find out if something unlawful happened to Suzanne. Right now it’s not for the public to know. LE is currently trying to figure out what caused her disappearance.

The amount of useful information LE is sitting on will determine how soon we find out if something unlawful happened to Suzanne. Right now it’s not for the public to know. LE is currently trying to figure out what caused her disappearance.

(bolded by me)

I don't have enough information to know if LE is currently trying to figure out what caused Suzanne's disappearance, or if they are building a case based on what they know to be true

My view/thoughts

LE has not even said they believe she is deceased they seem to sometimes sound like they are tilting that way and then they sound like they aren’t saying they are convinced of it.

I’d imagine that has to do with protecting the integrity of their case when it goes to court. I’d assume until they find a body or clear evidence that SM is deceased, they will not say that publicly.

I found the use of the bold particularly interesting.
“ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”
I think LE is quite clear in their meaning here. They are not giving out evidentiary information to satisfy public curiosity, to a headline seeking journalist, or to a suspect who very much wants to know what LE knows. They will release information when it would help find SM, find out what happened to her, and/or would help identify the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.
MOO

Based on what we’ve seen and heard from LE in the last 6 months, why does the language appear to have backed away from a crime being committed? Why is LE reluctant to tell us that they believe something unlawful happened to Suzanne? If LE believes something bad happened to Suzanne, is it any of our business?

What LE is doing isn’t any of our business.
We just want to know, cause we are sleuthy that way. :cool:

Yes, determining what caused her disappearance is what they are investigating. That would include gathering cellphone and computer evidence, GPS evidence, physical evidence, witness testimony, conducting searches, analyzing data, etc. The last thing they were interested in was information from anybody who may have communicated with Suzanne on SM.

And yes, they have decided not to share any details with the public. I thought you there asking why LE was not more transparent.

@Minordetails
The word "only" being used that sentence about info LE will release in case update does not surprise me, as I understand that is standard protocol in crim investigations gen'ly.

"ONLY" being bolded and in caps in the release does not surprise me either. Perhaps the caps and bolding were added to that particular sentence by LE employee who drafted the update, because LE received numerous calls, messages, contacts asking, demanding info on a specific point or on gen investigation.

Either way, not unexpected imo.
{{{ETA: Adding @Momofthreeboys since you commented on 'only 'specifically}}}

Last edited:
@Minordetails
The word "only" being used that sentence about info LE will release in case update does not surprise me, as I understand that is standard protocol in crim investigations gen'ly.

"ONLY" being bolded and in caps in the release does not surprise me either. Perhaps the caps and bolding were added to that particular sentence by LE employee who drafted the update, because LE received numerous calls, messages, contacts asking, demanding info on a specific point or on gen investigation.

Either way, not unexpected imo.
{{{ETA: Adding @Momofthreeboys since you commented on 'only 'specifically}}}
Just an observation, but the sentence below communicates the same message with or without the word ONLY.
“Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”

In my opinion, we’re lucky to have received any LE updates regarding Suzanne in the last 6 months. The updates appeared to be reluctantly given, and were the direct result of pressure from AM, the PE guys and some members of the media. Time passes, people move on, AM goes home, and the updates disappear.
JMO

Just an observation, but the sentence below communicates the same message with or without the word ONLY.
“Our investigative team is committed to releasing information to the public ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”
@Minordetails
Ah, now I see what you're saying. Seems someone thought inserting ^ word adds emphasis.

Reminds me of an employment manual:
Possession of and drinking alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited on company premises.
Strictly prohibited? Strictly? Prohibited is forbidden, barred, banned, disallowed. Prohibited, period. Why add strictly? Emphasis? May not aid in enforcement.
As interpreted by one dept. head, alcoholic bev's were strictly prohibited, except when they weren't. ;) Per his interpretation for his dept, after 5:00 in days ending in letter Y.:rolleyes:
Back to Suzanne.

I don't think BM wanted to do that video. I've said before he came off as a ex-husband in his plea for SM. Further, I remember thinking he was attempting to coax his wife out of hiding, but then goes into someone having her. It was weird and I don't think well rehearsed. He just talked, briefly.

I'm still fine with the reward money only being offered for her safe return. I always think of the 90's movie Seven. No one wants their loved one returned that way. I also think reward money is really only successful when a fugitive is on the run and LE puts up the money. IMO

He used rehearsed words. He did not talk about any concerns he had about her well being, say that he was worried about her, or that he hoped that she was alright.

@Minordetails
Ah, now I see what you're saying. Seems someone thought inserting ^ word adds emphasis.

Reminds me of an employment manual:
Possession of and drinking alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited on company premises.
Strictly prohibited? Strictly? Prohibited is forbidden, barred, banned, disallowed. Prohibited, period. Why add strictly? Emphasis? May not aid in enforcement.
As interpreted by one dept. head, alcoholic bev's were strictly prohibited, except when they weren't. ;) Per his interpretation for his dept, after 5:00 in days ending in letter Y.:rolleyes:
Back to Suzanne.

Prohibited is with exceptions. Strictly prohibited, is no exceptions. ???

“ONLY when it is in the best interest of Suzanne Morphew and this investigation.”
I think LE is quite clear in their meaning here. They are not giving out evidentiary information to satisfy public curiosity, to a headline seeking journalist, or to a suspect who very much wants to know what LE knows. They will release information when it would help find SM, find out what happened to her, and/or would help identify the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.
MOO

Hi OldCop,

Keeping up with all your posts. There are so many new posters on the Morphew case.

And it looks like so many of the old posters are gone now. I miss them all. I wish they were still around.

Glad you are here and happy for the new posters.

I keep checking in for new information. For me the case seems to have gone cold. But I do believe LE are still on it.

Hi OldCop,

Keeping up with all your posts. There are so many new posters on the Morphew case.

And it looks like so many of the old posters are gone now. I miss them all. I wish they were still around.

Glad you are here and happy for the new posters.

I keep checking in for new information. For me the case seems to have gone cold. But I do believe LE are still on it.
I miss the older, original posters too, I’ve been here since the beginning. But the same info keeps getting rehashed for the newcomers, high is great, but hard to come up with any new “what if’s” when nothing new has been released or learned. Hoping new developments happen for justice for SM.

I miss the older, original posters too, I’ve been here since the beginning. But the same info keeps getting rehashed for the newcomers, high is great, but hard to come up with any new “what if’s” when nothing new has been released or learned. Hoping new developments happen for justice for SM.
One day her disappearance will be solved. And I pray her body will be found. We believe what we believe and neither BM nor LE have proven us wrong. They owe us nothing. But they do owe her children snd family. I hope justice comes sooner rather than later.
Heck, I’m still angry with Patrick Frazee and the fact his little nurse side piece gets a new sentencing because of some error on the part of the Judge. Why does she get to have a life when KB doesn’t? These things drive me crazy.
I do miss all the posters but some are still here and they have kept the thread going. And when the case breaks, I’m sure all the posters will be here shouting hallelujah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes