Conference aims to normalize pedophilia

Well, from my viewpoint Steadfast, I'd love advances made not necessarily in rehabilitation - but in treatment. With my job, I've come in contact with some pedophiles who tried everything to "fix" themselves and stop having those urges. That's not to say all pedophiles and/or child molesters want to stop, but there is a subset who realize that their desires are not normal and want to change. Unfortunately, there isn't effective treatment for it.

I don't know if I'd advocate "normalizing" pedophilia - but I would advocate away from the shift that all pedophiles can't be changed, there's no treatment, nothing we can do, etc. I'm concerned that with such an attitude, there will be less research into finding ways to fix those that recognize they have a problem and successfully treat it. That way we prevent at least some of the child molestation we see today.

From what I understand, there's debate in the psych community whether it's an issue in wiring or some sort of biological component, or if it's more control-based. Personally, I think that there's a mix of the two, and as Nova has pointed out, conflating the desires which motivate a 19 year old to hook up with a 16 year old are far, far different than those that motivate a 50 year old to molest an 8 year old. If we lump all those people together, we're less likely to find effective treatments which prevent child molestation - which is my goal.

So I wouldn't say I'm advocating normalizing it, far from it, but I do think that we should do more than shrug our shoulders and say there's nothing to be done. There are some who really do want help with this, and right now, they can't find it.

Pedophiles, along with many others are "deviants" in a sexual sense. I have no problem with any of these "deviants", and they are "deviants" from the norm, ie, hetros raising children. What I DO have a problem with is "deviant" behavior that HURTS others being shoved down my, or anyone else's throat.

One may be a pedophile in their own mind/thoughts, but when it is acted upon, it is hurtful to the victim, and victim it is. In my opinion, one may think all the pedophile thoughts they want to, but when you act on it, you need to be put to death because it's obvious you cannot control your urge to hurt others for your own sexual gratification.

Just my opinion

WHEN ACCOUNTABILITY BECOMES MORE PREVELANT-That will be great.

To the dumb who accept - social circumstances –
that are not appropriate on any level but they don’t want to judge, or have some other lame excuse, I have nothing to say.
WHEN WE HAVE a conversation that includes accountability, then we will have a worthwhile discussion.
I do not care where you house them, just house them away from the kids.
PERVS are sick, but that does not mean that innocent children need to cross their paths.

There is no helping pedophiles IMO.
IMO they can't be cured.

Well, from my viewpoint Steadfast, I'd love advances made not necessarily in rehabilitation - but in treatment. With my job, I've come in contact with some pedophiles who tried everything to "fix" themselves and stop having those urges. That's not to say all pedophiles and/or child molesters want to stop, but there is a subset who realize that their desires are not normal and want to change. Unfortunately, there isn't effective treatment for it.

I don't know if I'd advocate "normalizing" pedophilia - but I would advocate away from the shift that all pedophiles can't be changed, there's no treatment, nothing we can do, etc. I'm concerned that with such an attitude, there will be less research into finding ways to fix those that recognize they have a problem and successfully treat it. That way we prevent at least some of the child molestation we see today.

From what I understand, there's debate in the psych community whether it's an issue in wiring or some sort of biological component, or if it's more control-based. Personally, I think that there's a mix of the two, and as Nova has pointed out, conflating the desires which motivate a 19 year old to hook up with a 16 year old are far, far different than those that motivate a 50 year old to molest an 8 year old. If we lump all those people together, we're less likely to find effective treatments which prevent child molestation - which is my goal.

So I wouldn't say I'm advocating normalizing it, far from it, but I do think that we should do more than shrug our shoulders and say there's nothing to be done. There are some who really do want help with this, and right now, they can't find it.

Thanks so much for bringing your perspective to this subject, AnaTeresa - I appreciate it very much.

Actually the lead quote was from the brochure

According to the conference brochure, the event will examine “ways in which minor-attracted persons [pedophiles] can be involved in the DSM 5 revision process” and how the popular perceptions of pedophiles can be reframed to encourage tolerance.

I'd look a little closer at that quote, Charlie. Specifically the use of quotation marks. The first part was actually quoted, the second was editorial.

The tone was hysterical, IMO. I read the article, I read through the brochure, and I didn't see anything that indicated they are trying to normalize pedophilia.

If we can help them cope, perhaps they won't offend. That would be a good thing in my book.

There is no helping pedophiles IMO.
IMO they can't be cured.

I wonder, though... so many of us think this way; but is it really true? Maybe that's where these people are coming from.

There are probably a large group of pedophiles that can't be cured, and I imagine it's those that we know the most about. They're the ones that have been caught, and out of that subset, there's the ones that do it again and again because they can't control themselves.

But what if we talked to and learned from the ones that do control themselves? What if we gain skills in helping those that have come to that realization about themselves, but don't know what to do about it? Could we help them to not offend?

I'd say it has a better chance than leaving these people alone with no tools to deal with their issues.

I'd look a little closer at that quote, Charlie. Specifically the use of quotation marks. The first part was actually quoted, the second was editorial.

The tone was hysterical, IMO. I read the article, I read through the brochure, and I didn't see anything that indicated they are trying to normalize pedophilia.

If we can help them cope, perhaps they won't offend. That would be a good thing in my book.

Lots of qualifying in there.

Tell me how this has been effective in real life - not theory.

I wonder, though... so many of us think this way; but is it really true? Maybe that's where these people are coming from.

There are probably a large group of pedophiles that can't be cured, and I imagine it's those that we know the most about. They're the ones that have been caught, and out of that subset, there's the ones that do it again and again because they can't control themselves.

But what if we talked to and learned from the ones that do control themselves? What if we gain skills in helping those that have come to that realization about themselves, but don't know what to do about it? Could we help them to not offend?

I'd say it has a better chance than leaving these people alone with no tools to deal with their issues.

This would mean that innate sexual identity can be changed?

They all should be locked up.

Our kids deserve at least that.

JMO

We don't know, do we? Because it hasn't been tried. I do hope that we're on the same page; I'm referring to people that have not offended.

I'm not sure we know if it's innate or not, do we? At any rate, I'm not advocating change so much as control.

It's as if talking to them will magically make them real. They are already real. Giving them tools to deal with their issues seems a better plan than letting them try to deal with it themselves.

What do you propose should be done about it?

We don't know, do we? Because it hasn't been tried. I do hope that we're on the same page; I'm referring to people that have not offended.

So once they've offended then what?

I'm not sure we know if it's innate or not, do we? At any rate, I'm not advocating change so much as control. Sure we do...I think the term used in this article by one of the speakers is "inor Attracted Persons"

It's as if talking to them will magically make them real. They are already real. Giving them tools to deal with their issues seems a better plan than letting them try to deal with it themselves. How's that working so far?

What do you propose should be done about it?
Not mainstream them - I think harsh and swift punishment upon acting on their innate behavior would be a start.

Not mainstream them - I think harsh and swift punishment upon acting on their innate behavior would be a start.

I agree with that.

Like I said, I hoped we were on the same page, but it looks like we weren't. I have been referring to those that haven't offended.

I agree with that.

Like I said, I hoped we were on the same page, but it looks like we weren't. I have been referring to those that haven't offended.

How many times have we seen that someone is finally caught after 30 or more years of offending. No one would have ever expected that person to be an offender. What is the line between offender and just someone who fantasizes ....do you really want your child near someone because he hasn't crossed the line, but man he thinks about it?

I don't!

They all should be locked up.

Our kids deserve at least that.

JMO

You want to lock up people for their thoughts, even if they haven't acted on those thoughts? That's a scary idea, Kim. I have trouble believing you really mean that.

It hasn't been effective in real life because it hasn't been tried. Nobody is proposing we take people with pedophiliac inclinations and leave them alone with children. The proposal is merely to listen to those who control their urges in the hopes of developing better treatment.

This is no different from the way we study any mental illness.

Whether attraction to children is a "sexual identity" in the same way that hetero- or, <modsnip> homosexuality is is highly debatable.
<modsnip>

Who are you talking about? The 18+1 month girl who has sex with the 17+11 months boy? Or are you talking about true pedophiles, who prey on prepubescence children?

If the latter, I don't think anybody is arguing against punishment.

How many times have we seen that someone is finally caught after 30 or more years of offending. No one would have ever expected that person to be an offender. What is the line between offender and just someone who fantasizes ....do you really want your child near someone because he hasn't crossed the line, but man he thinks about it?

I don't!

So what do you propose? How will the thought police identify and apprehend suspects?

So what do you propose? How will the thought police identify and apprehend suspects?

I think what I would suggest is what I mentioned earlier, swift and HARSH punishment for ANYone found guilty of sexual abuse of a child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back