Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who asked for this link earlier?
OCEAN?
Tambascio said Nancy picked up the gun hobby in the last few years after a retired New York police officer took her to a shooting range. “She actually liked shooting a gun,” he said, and she started to take Adam to the shooting range “because she wanted to find something to do with him to bond. He loved it. I heard he was very conscious of gun safety.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...a-destroyed-his-hard-drive-before-attack.html

Conn. Survivor Heard Whimpers, 'Screaming' on Intercom

Sandy Hook Elementary staffer Shari Thornberg was happily showing off photos of her son to co-workers when she heard a "weird noise" that she mistook for the janitor taking down risers in the gym. But when the intercom came on, she realized the "pop-pop-pop" sound she heard was gunfire, reports USA Today. The teacher's aide, who worked with a fourth-grader with special needs, hurried into a small closet with two other colleagues. Through the locked door they heard "screaming, crying, and whimpering" on the intercom and the janitor ordering the shooter to put down his gun.

------------
Have we heard anything else about the janitor? Is it possible he/she is the second survivor in the hospital?

Yes - who and where IS the janitor?? I have heard so many things attributed to him/her -- turning on the intercom, yelling at the shooter, running down the hall telling people someone had a gun...??

Sandy Hook Elementary staffer Shari Thornberg was happily showing off photos of her son to co-workers when she heard a "weird noise" that she mistook for the janitor taking down risers in the gym. But when the intercom came on, she realized the "pop-pop-pop" sound she heard was gunfire, reports USA Today. The teacher's aide, who worked with a fourth-grader with special needs, hurried into a small closet with two other colleagues. Through the locked door they heard "screaming, crying, and whimpering" on the intercom and the janitor ordering the shooter to put down his gun.

------------
Have we heard anything else about the janitor? Is it possible he/she is the second survivor in the hospital?

Quite possibly, he/she was reportedly out there in the corridors warning people.

I
t was not just teachers who showed extraordinary courage. While the gunman roamed the halls, the school janitor – whose fate is still not known – ran along corridors shouting "Guys! Get down! Hide!", checking that classroom doors were locked. And librarian Yvonne Cech locked herself, two library clerks, an assistant and 18 fourth-graders in a closet behind the library's filing cabinets while the sound of gunfire cracked outside.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-many-lives-as-the-killer-struck-8420459.html

A funeral home in NH finally claimed Nancy's remains, but nobody has claimed AXXX's.

Carver said unclaimed bodies are a big problem for his department, in general, which is run out of a 30,000-square-foot mortuary, laboratory and administrative facility in Farmington.

“The drill is to get a letter from the police department of record that no next of kin can be found or those who have been identified refuse to lay claim to the body,” Carver said. “We then contact a funeral home on a rotating list of volunteers who petition the probate court for custody of the body. They bury or cremate it with the $1,800 supplied by (the state).”
http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2012/12/18/news/doc50d10360bf536915541498.txt

Yes - who and where IS the janitor?? I have heard so many things attributed to him/her -- turning on the intercom, yelling at the shooter, running down the hall telling people someone had a gun...??

The Independence attributes the intercom to the principal

She is not the only one. If anybody wanted to know the kind of people who become teachers, they need only read of the bravery of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School. It starts with the principal, Dawn Hochsprung, who had the presence of mind to turn on the school intercom, broadcasting screaming and gunshots into every classroom, so that others had to time to take cover. "That saved a lot of people," said one teacher Theodore Varga, who survived the massacre.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-many-lives-as-the-killer-struck-8420459.html

IIRC it was turned on from the principal's office? Then it would make sense that it was one of the people who were attending the conference there, which the janitor probably wasn't.

A funeral home in NH finally claimed Nancy's remains, but nobody has claimed AXXX's.

Carver said unclaimed bodies are a big problem for his department, in general, which is run out of a 30,000-square-foot mortuary, laboratory and administrative facility in Farmington.

“The drill is to get a letter from the police department of record that no next of kin can be found or those who have been identified refuse to lay claim to the body,” Carver said. “We then contact a funeral home on a rotating list of volunteers who petition the probate court for custody of the body. They bury or cremate it with the $1,800 supplied by (the state).”
http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2012/12/18/news/doc50d10360bf536915541498.txt

The article you linked says,
It was not known if Adam’s body was still unclaimed Tuesday night.

I was picking up my son from school today, and I became so sad. Our school's flag is at half-staff, and all these precious little faces coming out of the school, faces lighting up, running to moms and dads and grandparents and siblings. It's just not fair, the sickness in this world that can extinguish that light. This Christmas is full of mixed emotions for me....love for my children, grief over this tragic situation, and to a certain extent, guilt for having my children when others have had theirs brutally ripped away from them. Treasure every second....life is such a fragile thing. I just had to say that.

Top Conservative Publication: Shooting Occurred Because Women Ran The School (thinkprogress.org)

Author couldn't even get the school circumstances right; Sandy Hook Elementary is K-4, not K-6.

Think of what Sandy Hook might have been like if a couple of male teachers who had played high-school football, or even some of the huskier 12-year-old boys, had converged on Lanza.

I'm thinking there could be just a few more ex-footballers and husky pre-teens on the victim list.

------------

Maybe!
I saw a report one of the 2 survivors several injuries was in the hand...
maybe she reached for the gun- but there has not been much news.

"At about 9:30 a.m., she ran out of a meeting with Principal Dawn Hochsprung and school psychologist Mary Sherlach. They came face-to-face with 20-year-old Adam Lanza..."

"... Hammond was shot in the foot, leg and hand, but managed to crawl to safety behind a door. Lanza then went down the hall to two classrooms, where he killed 20 children and four teachers."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...d-will-a-weapon-for-4125396.php#ixzz2FXB8QnL4

I am not sure about the janitor.

Top Conservative Publication: Shooting Occurred Because Women Ran The School (thinkprogress.org)

Author couldn't even get the school circumstances right; Sandy Hook Elementary is K-4, not K-6.

“a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm.”
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...pened-because-women-ran-the-school/?mobile=nc

Thanks for posting that, wfgodot! It was good for a long laugh. Many smart and unarmed woman saved a lot of children that day by not being helpless.

I think the medical examiner sounds a little evasive there.
He might have a pretty good idea who will come and get AL and where but doesn't want rioters on his doors or the burial site.

Whoever better think twice about trying to do harm to students/faculty in a particular school in a small town in Texas because the staff are armed with weapons and have had training. I heard the interview on NPR yesterday but cant remember the city's name, though I think it started with an "H" and it's not Houston. Superintendent decided to have his staff armed with weapons after the shooting in the Amish school.

Do you know that all staff and teachers in Israel are trained and armed at all times?

Not once have they ever had a shooter come in and try to harm the chidren.

They also have one of the safest airports in the world. Why? Because the airport has armed security at every possible point.

IMO

Maybe!
I saw a report one of the 2 survivors several injuries was in the hand...
maybe she reached for the gun- but there has not been much news.

"At about 9:30 a.m., she ran out of a meeting with Principal Dawn Hochsprung and school psychologist Mary Sherlach. They came face-to-face with 20-year-old Adam Lanza..."
"... Hammond was shot in the foot, leg and hand, but managed to crawl to safety behind a door. Lanza then went down the hall to two classrooms, where he killed 20 children and four teachers."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...d-will-a-weapon-for-4125396.php#ixzz2FXB8QnL4

I am not sure about the janitor.

I wished the whole thing ended there...................I wish they could have turned the gun on him right then. :mad::mad:

I think the medical examiner sounds a little evasive there.
He might have a pretty good idea who will come and get AL and where but doesn't want rioters on his doors or the burial site.
Yeah. In addition, if it is stated where he will be buried, some warped idiots will try to make his grave into a shrine.

Did the guy making the video game of the shooting pull his garage down from that site today?

The Independence attributes the intercom to the principal

IIRC it was turned on from the principal's office? Then it would make sense that it was one of the people who were attending the conference there, which the janitor probably wasn't.

I've read a few different versions. One said that they were having morning announcements so the intercom was being used normally at the time of the shooting, and was left one (please don't ask for a link - it was one of the early pieces of info, perhaps that same evening, so who knows the accuracy) - another report said the Janitor flipped it on.

It didn't sound like the principal could have had time to flip it on, or even had time to think that it could be of any benefit - she didn't know what she was going to face when she left the meeting, so why would she have taken the time and what would her reasoning be to turn it on before rushing out to see what was happening? Maybe it was the parent in the office who ducked under the table? I don't know.

“a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm.”
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...pened-because-women-ran-the-school/?mobile=nc

Thanks for posting that, wfgodot! It was good for a long laugh. Many smart and unarmed woman saved a lot of children that day by not being helpless.

Omg, yes because men are bullet proof! That "helplessly passive" principal - by all accounts - ran and charged the automatic weapon carrying shooter! If that isn't bad-*advertiser censored* tough heroics, I don't know what is. (and I say that with awe and respect). Vicky Soto stood her ground, diverted the killer and took bullets for her kids. You hear of these things happening in war and people are awarded medals of valor, even posthumously, for those kind of actions. These women were tougher than I can even fathom. God bless them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph