Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the logic that there's no point in moving a high-profile trial because there's nowhere in the world that the defendant could get a fair trial. I've seen people say that in every high-profile case, including this one. Um, this is not Osama Bin Laden on trial for 9/11. Move it to a county that does not get Atlanta media and the number of jurors who already have their opinions made will decrease signficantly. Isn't it like something like 50% of jurors were not qualified? What's the % of jurors who have said that they had already formed an opinion?

Amanda Knox and Maddie McCann are cases that have gotten tons of international publicity, much more than JRH. I follow true crime. I've heard of both of those cases. I could definitely be impartial on a jury (if they decided to try the case in NJ lol).

I wonder how often verdicts from her courtroom get overturned on appeal. I favor no-nonsense judges who don't coddle criminals, but there's such a thing as being "too tough." If the judge is so "tough" that the defendant doesn't get a fair trial, that's grounds for appeal.

Based on the reporting of a local paper, Judge Staley rarely gets overturned on appeal.

I see both sides of this, and I wonder how Judge Staley will rule. If the change of venue is granted, there is nothing in Georgia that mirrors the metro Atlanta area. While some other counties may have similar demographics, none of them remotely resemble the urban lifestyle of Atlanta. Cobb County, aside from the fact that is the location of the crime, will probably be one of the least sympathetic counties in Georgia.

On the other hand, JRH is entitled to a jury that is free from prejudice. After hearing the responses from the current jury pool, I can certainly understand why the DT is concerned. They have a legitimate case.

I would rather the qualification for the jury pool be tightened and have the trial remain in Cobb. They are finding impartial jurors, but it is slow-going. I don't believe that twelve impartial jurors don't exist in Cobb, but how much effort is required to find them?

Based on the reporting of a local paper, Judge Staley rarely gets overturned on appeal.

I see both sides of this, and I wonder how Judge Staley will rule. If the change of venue is granted, there is nothing in Georgia that mirrors the metro Atlanta area. While some other counties may have similar demographics, none of them remotely resemble the urban lifestyle of Atlanta. Cobb County, aside from the fact that is the location of the crime, will probably be one of the least sympathetic counties in Georgia.

On the other hand, JRH is entitled to a jury that is free from prejudice. After hearing the responses from the current jury pool, I can certainly understand why the DT is concerned. They have a legitimate case.

I would rather the qualification for the jury pool be tightened and have the trial remain in Cobb. They are finding impartial jurors, but it is slow-going. I don't believe that twelve impartial jurors don't exist in Cobb, but how much effort is required to find them?

How perfect of a match does it need to be? I wonder what the most important factor they would look for. Is it racial demographics? Median income? % of college-graduates? Population? Population density? The closest I could find was Columbia County.

Cobb County:
Population: 707k
Urban: 100%
Cost of Living: 95.2
White Non-Hispanic Alone (56.3%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (24.4%)
Hispanic or Latino (12.3%)
Asian alone (4.4%)
Two or more races (1.9%)
Median Household Income: $63k
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 39.8%

Columbia County:
Population: 132k
Urban: 84%
Cost of Living: 92.7
White Non-Hispanic Alone (73.8%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (14.6%)
Hispanic or Latino (5.0%)
Asian alone (3.8%)
Two or more races (2.3%)
Median Household Income: $72k
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 32.0%
(Columbia County grew by 40% between 2000-2010).

The two counties look very similiar, except the racial demographics are not an exact match, and Cobb has a much higher total population. But Columbia is growing at a rapid rate which means there must be plenty of jobs and it is becoming more urban, it has a higher median household income, has almost the same % of college graduate residents, etc. I would argue that Columbia is very similiar to Atlanta metro counties. I looked at every county in Georgia with a population over 100k and Columbia is the only one I can find that is similiar.

Source: city-data.com

Lynn Turner:
Change of venue to Houston Co. Was decided with in 48 hours.
I don't see it happening with
Harris.
Lynn Turner killed 2 men the same way antifreeze.
JMO
I don't think Staley was the judge, I can't recall.

"Feb. 2, 2004: Jury selection begins in Marietta in Lynn Turner's first trial.

Feb. 4, 2004: Unable to seat an impartial jury in Marietta, a judge orders Turner's trial moved. The case is moved to Houston County.

May 14, 2004: A Houston County jury returns a guilty verdict against Turner in the murder of Glenn Turner."

Keep reading, every trial was moved with the very same outcome.
http://m.ajc.com/news/news/local/lynn-turners-death-still-leaves-questions-scars/nQjqq/

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How perfect of a match does it need to be? I wonder what the most important factor they would look for. Is it racial demographics? Median income? % of college-graduates? Population? Population density? The closest I could find was Columbia County.

Cobb County:
Population: 707k
Urban: 100%
Cost of Living: 95.2
White Non-Hispanic Alone (56.3%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (24.4%)
Hispanic or Latino (12.3%)
Asian alone (4.4%)
Two or more races (1.9%)
Median Household Income: $63k
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 39.8%

Columbia County:
Population: 132k
Urban: 84%
Cost of Living: 92.7
White Non-Hispanic Alone (73.8%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (14.6%)
Hispanic or Latino (5.0%)
Asian alone (3.8%)
Two or more races (2.3%)
Median Household Income: $72k
People 25 years of age or older with a bachelor's degree or higher: 32.0%
(Columbia County grew by 40% between 2000-2010).

The two counties look very similiar, except the racial demographics are not an exact match, and Cobb has a much higher total population. But Columbia is growing at a rapid rate which means there must be plenty of jobs and it is becoming more urban, it has a higher median household income, has almost the same % of college graduate residents, etc. I would argue that Columbia is very similiar to Atlanta metro counties. I looked at every county in Georgia with a population over 100k and Columbia is the only one I can find that is similiar.

Source: city-data.com

I don't know how similar they need to be. Columbia doesn't truly resemble Cobb. It is like comparing New York City to Albany or Syracuse. The density, urbanization, and overall pace of the two locations are completely different. They may both be larger cities, but that is where the similarities end. Having said all of that, they may need a different location to get a fair trial for JRH. They would have to pick the best of what is available, and it may be Columbia County.

Live youtube stream from Atlanta Fox station: [video=youtube;9lnegILrSEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lnegILrSEY[/video]

watching this hearing...I think the defense has argument for change but this should have been done long ago....this judge is in a real bad situation...because of this hearing any juror picked that is not able to be struck by the defense will be cause of appeal if they do not vote how the defense wants. I recall that one juror in Jodi Arias ...after watching voir dire clearly no one really understands why Juan let her on...if this judge denies motion to strike of defense this will be appealed on that....on and on. So she has to weigh...get a jury from another area and start over with all the financial costs that entails or keep going and risk further issues. The principle of someone leaving a child this long in a car seems pretty universal and really juror reaction probably universal so maybe no difference in the next voir dire...so then what? Also if from out of town they would need to be sequestered something no court wants to do these days. This whole trial is already a mess and ask Mr. Harris marches in with his shirt and tie I am very concerned about how this is all going to end.

Defense arguing TV exposure & quoting potential juror: "If you live in Cobb Co. you've heard of this case." @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/6Ar43Ay4fd — Audrey Washington (@AudreyWSBTV) May 2, 2016

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...oss-harris-trial-out-of-cobb-county/252987712

Def. Atty. Bryan Lumpkin enters stack of newspaper articles and media as evidence of pretrial publicity. @cbs46 #CBS46JRH #hotcardeath
— Vince sims (@SimsCBS46) May 2, 2016

Def. Atty. Lumpkin says motion is because they can't get a fair trial with all pretrial publicity. @cbs46 #CBS46JRH #hotcardeath

Def. Atty Lumpkin pointing out camera in courtrooms, production room, and media onslaught at courthouse covering case. @cbs46 #hotcardeath

http://www.cbs46.com/story/31864136...o-move-justin-ross-harris-trial#ixzz47VZxxY59

I appreciate that the DT is asking the judge to reconsider their previous motions with respect to striking jurors if the change of venue is not granted. At the very least, I think that needs to be done.

I scheduled today off work in hopes I would be able to watch this hearing. Both sides IMO making good arguments.

Judge going through each juror/candidate and the objections or not as to each. Tallying which were consent cause (agreed by both sides not to be appropriate for this jury) which were objected to by which side and the ruling she made on each.

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 28m28 minutes ago
Defense: Media furor in this case" was pushed by #RossHarris supporters, citing ******** page, #hotcardeath

You know...I kind of think is true. I remember I first heard about the case because Ross was being charged with murder for leaving his child in a hot car. We had very little information but I remember his friends and family were all over social media defending him. They even made a video about it...Does anyone remember that? Wasn't there a video made that was against some public official? I'm surprised it's the defense bringing this up.

Def Atty Lumpkin going nearly an hour arguing about jurors with preconceived opinion of guilty. @cbs46 #hotcardeath pic.twitter.com/0IY1n2taD8

Prosecutor Chuck Boring says can find an impartial jury here and have done so over 3 weeks. @cbs46 #hotcardeath pic.twitter.com/X7txIJePtf
— Vince sims (@SimsCBS46) May 2, 201

I saw Cobb Co. District Attorney Vic Reynolds sitting in on the change of venue motion hearing. @cbs46 #CBS46JRH #hotcardeath

Prosecutor Chuck Boring says, "They are arguing about cameras. Cameras are going to follow us no matter where we go." @cbs46 #hotcardeath

arguments over. Judge is now running down the jurors and decisions made on each for record. Then she'll rule. @cbs46 #CBS46JRH #hotcardeath

http://www.cbs46.com/story/31864136...o-move-justin-ross-harris-trial#ixzz47VqpgqAB

Kilgore said false information in the case has caused a community bias against the defendant. He said early on, detectives falsely claimed that Harris had researched hot car deaths. "That is not true," said Kilgore, adding that that single piece of incorrect information has perhaps caused the most damage to his client's ability to get a fair trial.

HLN discussing the hearing today. re-showing the footage they did with SUV and reporter demonstrating how close Cooper to Ross during that brief drive from Chik-Fil-A to his office.

CBS46Verified account ‏@cbs46 3m3 minutes ago
Judge decides to consider decision to move #HotCarDeath trial from Cobb County: will announce at 1:30. @SimsCBS46 #JustinRossHarris

Tried to keep count of her rulings for each juror. Probably off by a few, but there were no motions for about 28 of 87 prospective jurors. Did each side have a finite number of strikes? If not, that's a large number of uncontested, favoring the State's case for denial.

I don't understand why Lyn Turner would be moved but not JRH (if the judge denies the motion). I'm not from Atlanta...was there more media coverage and a bigger bias against Lyn?

Tried to keep count of her rulings for each juror. Probably off by a few, but there were no motions for about 28 of 87 prospective jurors. Did each side have a finite number of strikes? If not, that's a large number of uncontested, favoring the State's case for denial.

While I certainly understand the DT's position, I don't believe that a county with 700,000+ citizens cannot find 16 impartial jurors. If I were the judge, I would probably rule against the change of venue, but I would strongly reconsider my previous rulings on jurors that the DT wanted to strike. The DT stated this morning that they felt that there was a huge learning curve in qualifying jurors. Given that it seems that all parties are apparently more comfortable with the process, I would continue for as long as it takes to find impartial jurors in Cobb.

What are some other high-profile national trials where the defendant was not a celebrity, wealthy, or attractive? I feel like JRH is setting a new precedent here. I honestly hate that the media insists on using pictures of JRH over Cooper. And not just in a "Show the victim, not the killer" way but because I find JRH extremely hard to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48