Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to refer that question over to Dr. Sylvie. :)

ETA: Jinx @Amonet . I had a whole response typed out but deleted it...it basically said that imo I think Doc T and Dr. Sylvie would say that they are currently analyzing all the data as it is coming in.

—-

From the above link:

“Still, the CDC is preparing in the event the outbreak gets worse.

"We are reviewing all of our pandemic preparedness materials and adapting them to COVID-19," Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said Friday during a media briefing, using the name of the disease caused by the coronavirus. "The materials will serve as a blueprint for the community interventions that we will use here in the U.S."

That means reinforcing infection control procedures, making sure health care workers have enough supplies, and planning for a possible influx of patients.

There may be a time when more aggressive measures, such as temporarily closing schools or businesses in the U.S., are necessary, she added.”

U.S. takes steps to prepare for pandemic as global coronavirus cases rise

—-

ETA: Going in to look for full CDC video on YT. Sounds like it’s not going to be pretty...

ETA2: Guess I’ll have to settle for the audio. Can’t find a full video atm

CDC Newsroom | Coronavirus Disease 2019

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0221-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.mp3

(I know @Henry2326 already posted the above link)

I hope the CDC has more than pamphlets and You Tube videos to offer, but I kind of doubt they have much more. Most of the work on the ground is passed to states, who have been cutting these budgets as non-essential. If the pandemic hits the US, the public may be disappointed to learn how woefully unprepared and underfunded most state health departments are. In the last decade or so, many states appoint health department officials based on a criteria different from disease prevention, public safety or population health management, etc.

Not wanting to be negative, but this is a good opportunity for the public to take a very close look at their own state and local health departments and consider whether they need reform, modernization, extra funding focused on quality health programs like this.

Carl Goldman continues his update, he's one of the Diamond Princess guys...

Living With Coronavirus: Santa Clarita Resident Continues To Share Story

"My fever returned tonight. I am bummed. It is low-grade 99.7, but it lingers. My medical team is giving me Ibuprofen along with more Gatorade. My doctor does not want me to take Tylenol. Tylenol’s active ingredient is Acetaminophen, not Ibuprofen. Aspirin, Advil and a potpourri of other over-the-counter medications all use Ibuprofen.

I’m told taking Tylenol may be counterproductive to the virus"

Hmm wonder why that is? Know that Advil and the like are better at lowering inflammation?? But that Tylenol may be actively counterproductive to the virus?? Advil has always worked better for me but I have to watch my high BP when I take it...

BBM
Wondering the same.

Coronavirus British couple are 'in a bad way', says son of couple who caught deadly virus on Diamond Princess - as their son asks Donald Trump to help them escape from Japanese 'prison' hospital

David and Sally Abel, from Northamptonshire, have now been moved to a 'prison'-like hospital in Japan with the lung infection which is a known deadly complication of the deadly virus.

The couple told their son Stephen Abel that they are in a hospital room with no shower or bathing facilities which is only provided with basic paper towels.

continued

He posted: '@realDonaldTrump need help getting my mum and dad out of Japan with Coronavirus. UK government are not helping us.

'They say Japanese hospital is like a prison. Can you help? My folks are big trump supporters.'

Coronavirus British couple now have PNEUMONIA | Daily Mail Online

The Japanese healthcare system is very very good. Far better than what I have read about many hospital facilities in the UK NHS system.

The Japanese system has a reputation for being meticulous and systematic. I truly believe the Abels are receiving excellent care. If it's prison-like it's because rules are strictly enforced.

And their son is not helping anything.

I hope the CDC has more than pamphlets and You Tube videos to offer, but I kind of doubt they have much more. Most of the work on the ground is passed to states, who have been cutting these budgets as non-essential. If the pandemic hits the US, the public may be disappointed to learn how woefully unprepared and underfunded most state health departments are. In the last decade or so, many states appoint health department officials based on a criteria different from disease prevention, public safety or population health management, etc.

Not wanting to be negative, but this is a good opportunity for the public to take a very close look at their own state and local health departments and consider whether they need reform, modernization, extra funding focused on quality health programs like this.

It could be worse. Someone in Washington DC could get the bright idea of putting FEMA in charge....

Here we go.....meeting is happening now.....

Italy's Council of Ministers will meet on coronavirus at 6:30 p.m. local time. Prime Minister Conte says the government is considering "extraordinary measures"
BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Edit: found additional support.....
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, who has called an emergency meeting with the health authorities, expressed his sympathies on Facebook for the deaths and said the government was considering "extraordinary measures" to fight the onslaught of new cases.

Italy's second coronavirus death sparks fears, lockdown

Last edited:
Wow. Wonder if they commandeered the cruise ships from the companies that owned them. How did they get the cruise ships I wonder.

Not a good plan IMO. Didnt they learn anything from the Princess Cruise ship fiasco. Cruise ships are not a good place to keep people safe from the Virus.

"China is bringing in seven cruise ships to house medical workers in Wuhan, state media reported."

China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates
Might I add, why go to these extreme measures if the crisis has passed, as they are trying to convince the world?!?

The Japanese healthcare system is very very good. Far better than what I have read about many hospital facilities in the UK NHS system.

The Japanese system has a reputation for being meticulous and systematic. I truly believe the Abels are receiving excellent care. If it's prison-like it's because rules are strictly enforced.

And their son is not helping anything.

I have also read that Japans universal healthcare system is one of the best in the world.

British tourists David and Sally Abel test positive for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Expanding his point on ITV's This Morning, he said: 'What I want now is for the UK authorities to still go and get them.

'I know they tested positive but I'd like it ideally if whatever they're going to be doing in Japan, why can't that happen here in the UK where my dad can get the right kind of food, all the right treatments?'.

Describing conditions on the ship, Steve Abel said: 'The quarantine in Japan has been a failure, that is obvious, so [they] are obviously going to have to go through it again.

'I would like them to go through it here where the food is more suitable for my dad.'

He added: 'I'm not actually that worried about the virus - looking at the recovery stats. It is more about the stress, the diet.

'The recovery rate is actually quite good, but he's type 2 diabetic, insulin dependent, and he's also got a tooth infection.

It could be worse. Someone in Washington DC could get the bright idea of putting FEMA in charge....

Not much better. FEMA at least has "boots on the ground" capability. I don't think CDC has much of that anymore. They're brochures, videos, giving advice to locals.

Things will probably flow down to your county or city health department. Check your local health department web sites and see how many employees/nurses, etc. they have on staff. Hint: its not many. My guess is if the US faces a real pandemic here, the military will be called in to do the ground work. They're the only ones that have adequate funding and staff.

Here's a link to the CDC booklet for the National Influenza Pandemic Strategy for Implementation. It was written 20 years ago in 2006.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pdf/pandemic-influenza-implementation.pdf

The Strategy makes it clear that the Federal Government will use all instruments of national power to address the pandemic threat. However, if efforts to contain the outbreak at its source fail, the resources of the Federal Government will not be sufficient to prevent the spread of a pandemic across the Nation and its resulting impact on communities, workplaces, families, and individuals. An effective response will require the full participation of all levels of government and all segments of society.

Last edited:
I have also read that Japans universal healthcare system is one of the best in the world.

British tourists David and Sally Abel test positive for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Expanding his point on ITV's This Morning, he said: 'What I want now is for the UK authorities to still go and get them.

'I know they tested positive but I'd like it ideally if whatever they're going to be doing in Japan, why can't that happen here in the UK where my dad can get the right kind of food, all the right treatments?'.

Describing conditions on the ship, Steve Abel said: 'The quarantine in Japan has been a failure, that is obvious, so [they] are obviously going to have to go through it again.

'I would like them to go through it here where the food is more suitable for my dad.'

He added: 'I'm not actually that worried about the virus - looking at the recovery stats. It is more about the stress, the diet.

'The recovery rate is actually quite good, but he's type 2 diabetic, insulin dependent, and he's also got a tooth infection.

If he was really concerned about the diet, he'd want them to live in Japan.

The real Japanese diet with it's reliance on vegetables and fish is light years ahead of the traditional UK diet, even if it is modified for diabetes. If you can avoid the sodium in soy sauce and maybe cut back on the carbs in the rice, it is an excellent diet. Maybe Abel Jr should try it.

Not much better. FEMA at least has "boots on the ground" capability. I don't think CDC has much of that anymore. They're brochures, videos, giving advice to locals.

Things will probably flow down to your county or city health department. Check your local health department web sites and see how many employees/nurses, etc. they have on staff. Hint: its not many. My guess is if the US faces a real pandemic here, the military will be called in to do the ground work. They're the only ones that have adequate funding and staff.

Here's a link to the CDC booklet for the National Influenza Pandemic Strategy for Implementation. It was written 20 years ago in 2006.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pdf/pandemic-influenza-implementation.pdf

My impression of FEMA is that they have toffee-nosed administrators who fly around looking all importanty- but the public ends up getting old moldy trailers and mountains of paperwork.

The very esteemed Professor Uwe Reinhardt did a terrific NPR series on comprehensive healthcare where he traveled to mulitple different countries to examine their healthcare systems and interview many practitioners and patients.

His conclusion was that Japan had the best system, and that a combination of the Japanese and Canadian systems would be the best choice for US comprehensive healthcare. He was a very good interviewer and I remember it as a pleasure to watch.

Pursuing Comprehensive Health Coverage in the U.S.

If he was really concerned about the diet, he'd want them to live in Japan.

The real Japanese diet with it's reliance on vegetables and fish is light years ahead of the traditional UK diet, even if it is modified for diabetes. If you can avoid the sodium in soy sauce and maybe cut back on the carbs in the rice, it is an excellent diet. Maybe Abel Jr should try it.

Thank you and I said the same the other day :)

Their entire families behavior is laughable at best and it’s getting worse the more I read about them.

Richard Branson wouldn’t help them and let’s see if Donald now ignores them as well.

Thank you and I said the same the other day :)

Their entire families behavior is laughable at best and it’s getting worse the more I read about them.

Richard Branson wouldn’t help them and let’s see if Donald now ignores them as well.

I think they are all loving the attention they are getting, liking it far too much

A plane carrying Britons who had been trapped on a coronavirus-hit cruise ship in Japan is on its way to the UK, the Foreign Office has said.

Some 78 Britons were on the Diamond Princess cruise liner when it was quarantined in Yokohama 16 days ago.

The Foreign Office said 32 British and European passengers were on board an evacuation flight, along with medical staff and British government officials.

Coronavirus-hit cruise Britons flying back to UK

View attachment 233835

They are in the apartments now

The very esteemed Professor Uwe Reinhardt did a terrific NPR series on comprehensive healthcare where he traveled to mulitple different countries to examine their healthcare systems and interview many practitioners and patients.

His conclusion was that Japan had the best system, and that a combination of the Japanese and Canadian systems would be the best choice for US comprehensive healthcare. He was a very good interviewer and I remember it as a pleasure to watch.

Pursuing Comprehensive Health Coverage in the U.S.

Yes, that's another problem for the US - the large number of uninsured and under-insured citizens. How do those people access health care if they become ill? People w/o insurance usually wait until they're very ill to seek help, as they don't have the funds to pay out of pocket for health care. This should have been resolved long ago, JMO.

If the hospitals take them anyway, how do they pay for the expensive care they receive without going bankrupt, becoming homeless, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim