Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this in the WAVE, local paper in Norfolk, the Pilot has a pay wall.

Norfolk-based USNS Comfort ‘floating hospital’ heading to New York City to give aid during outbreak

The Comfort would be used to treat patients with other medical needs and not those diagnosed with the coronavirus, the Navy emphasized.

Jake had a big segment about this, it was very interesting, sorry you missed it. Just the thought of boarding a ship might cause panic in some patients. I know this is a hospital on the water, but still a ship.

And no November election. (Where do I have my copy of The Handmaid's Tale?)
There is time to set up mail-in ballots for everyone. Might take longer to count, but it can be done.

With hope, however, by November, we can vote as usual.

What will be interesting are this summer's party conventions. ?!?

jmo

So if New York gets one or two ships and moves patients from the hospitals to free up specialty rooms in hospitals, where do they believe all the Covid 19 patients are now, at this very minute? Did they pull an arbitrary number from a hat or do they have a collection of data from the hotlines, or???

I think we should all quarantine unless absolutely necessary (food, vet and human doc emergencies) as we’ve been asked to. Why contribute to the death rate? We don’t actually know that six feet apart is even safe. It’s probably not, but it’s about the only way we can go about necessary things without panicking - pretend to believe it until we can get the heck out of the grocery store.

yes!

Ongoing Debate about Ibuprofen:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/4-year-olds-coronavirus-symptoms-worsen-after-taking-ibuprofen/

Quotes from article:

A 4-year-old British girl suffering from coronavirus-like symptoms grew worse after taking ibuprofen, her family said.

As health experts hotly debate whether the anti-inflammatory medicine should be taken to combat the contagion, Dan Collins of Bristol posted a dire warning on Facebook about his stepdaughter Amelia.

“To those of you that have children please read. If your child has symptoms of corona virus, DO NOT give them ibuprofen,” Collins wrote.

“Amelia’s been unwell since Tuesday, cough, fever, cold. This morning she came into my room and got into my bed burning hot and not wanting to get up,” he wrote Sunday.

“Within an hour of giving her [ibuprofen] she dropped dramatically. She was panting while trying to breathe, her heart rate was very rapid, she couldn’t keep her eyes open, couldn’t lift her head up, her body was shaking, she started being sick on herself and her temperature had risen.

“We called back up and they sent out an emergency ambulance, once the paramedics got here they managed to bring her temp and stats down a bit, they’re still higher than normal but not dangerous high anymore,” Collins said.

“Now she’s back on [acetaminophen] she’s back to just being her poorly self. The paramedics only told us while here that were not to give her ibuprofen!”

I think dosage is the key and children should not be given adult dosage.

JMO

NEW YORK

NY Issues New Work Mandate as Tri-State Cases Near 3,000; CT has First Death, 26 in Total
  • U.S. novel coronavirus cases have surpassed 7,400; more than 100 people have died, including 20 in New York alone. Tri-state cases have eclipsed the 2,800 mark
  • Gov. Andrew Cuomo said it may take 45 days to reach the peak of infection and 110,000 hospital beds could be needed; the Navy is sending a "hospital ship" with 1,000 rooms to NYC harbor to help ease the load for people who are ill with something other than COVID-19
  • New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have announced unprecedented joint measures to curb spread: crowds of 50+ banned, schools closed

Oh Costco.....

Coronavirus: Costco Corporate Employee Dies But Campus Remains Open

Quotes from article:

An employee who worked at Costco Wholesale’s corporate headquarters near Seattle died Sunday after contracting the coronavirus disease COVID-19, according to an internal email obtained by BuzzFeed News, and some employees are upset the company is refusing to fully close the campus or direct all employees to work from home.

“The company has handled everything very poorly,” a Costco employee, who works in a nearby building on the campus and who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of losing her job, told BuzzFeed News. “Someone died and they’re still keeping the building open and having us come in.”

"Employees have to choose between a check or their health," said a second employee, who also asked to remain anonymous.

News of the employee’s death was first published by the Seattle radio station KTTH late Tuesday.

When contacted for comment by BuzzFeed News, a Costco spokesperson responded after this story was first published. She said the company had received several media inquiries about their response to the coronavirus outbreak and their measures to keep shoppers safe. "Costco is not staffed to respond individually to all these questions," she wrote. "While this statement may not specifically address your inquiry, please understand that we will not be able to respond to your specific questions."

For the past few weeks, Costco has kept its sprawling campus in Issaquah, Washington, open and its several thousand workers in the office, as employees voiced concerns and fears about their health and safety as the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths continued to mount in the region.

“What is [it] going to take for Costco Execs to change their path?” one staffer wrote on an employee bulletin board March 6, when the county’s death toll had hit 10. “More cases? More deaths? A sudden quarantine that interrupts the whole campus?”

On Tuesday, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee signed an emergency aid bill for the state after the number of confirmed cases topped 1,000. The bulk of patients, 569, live in King County and of the 52 people who have died in the state as of Tuesday, 43 of them were from that area.

Radio station KUOW reported earlier this month on a Costco memo requiring workers to continue to come into the office despite hundreds of other Seattle companies, including behemoths like Amazon and Microsoft, following health officials’ directives to let employees work from home.

In the email sent March 4, viewed by BuzzFeed News, the company’s senior leaders, led by CEO Craig Jelinek, explained that that while “some local companies are reportedly allowing employees to work from home,” Costco is a “retail business” and “a great number of Costco employees locally and across the country cannot work from home.”

Thus, Costco executives said, corporate employees must continue to go to the office to “support our retail business.”

“The decision may be unpopular with some, but we consider it a matter of equity and fairness,” they wrote.

Costco leadership said that employees who were unwell or at a higher risk of catching the virus could use their sick leave or PTO to stay home and that “these absences will be excused.”

A Costco employee told the Seattle Times earlier this month that the company has “every ability to let employees work from home and many successfully have and do.”
That makes me so angry. Corporate greed undermining public health.

These ships are huge and very equipped.

San Diego-based Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy to assist hospitals amid COVID-19 outbreak

"USNS Mercy -- homeported at Naval Base San Diego -- and USNS Comfort -- based in Virginia -- will be deployed along the West and East coasts, respectively, to provide relief for area medical facilities."

USNS MERCY T-AH 19, San Diego, CA (2020)

"The third MERCY (T-AH 19) was built as an oil tanker, SS WORTH, by National Steel and Shipbuilding Co., San Diego, in 1976. Starting in July 1984, she was renamed and converted to a hospital ship by the same company."

WASHINGTON

Mason County sees first positive COVID-19 test
"The patient is currently quarantined at home," Mason County Public Health said in a press release. It added that it is conducting "contact interviews" to alert those who may have been in touch with the individual who tested positive.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241218811.html
The Tri-Cities area has its first confirmed case of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, according to the Benton Franklin Health District.

It is a Franklin County woman in her 20s with underlying health conditions. She is being treated at a local hospital.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus
Total Confirmed Cases 1012
Deaths 52

Detroit’s Big Three automakers have agreed to temporarily shut down all their North American factories because of the Covid-19 coronavirus, reports the Associated Press, citing “two people briefed on the matter.”

Ford and General Motors made it official on Wednesday, with GM saying that the decision will be re-evaluated after March 30.

Fiat Chrysler did not immediately confirm the decision.

“Leaders from the companies and the United Auto Workers will work together on plans to restart production in compliance with social distancing protocols among workers, including at shift change times, and to maximize cleaning times between shifts changes,” reports Politico.

The shutdown has already begun.

Fearing Virus Spread, Ford, GM & Fiat Chrysler Will Close North American Factories - News & Guts Media

Ridiculous, IMO. I was pleasantly surprised when my Schwan’s driver brought my order. Normally he steps in, I give him a bottle of water & chat for a minute. Today, thru the storm door he said “I’m not allowed to come in.” I gave him a thumbs up, hollered “be safe”, he dropped my food at the door. I’m glad they spoke with their delivery men. My driver has two small kids.....
Bad news in KY, an eight month old baby has the virus on Jefferson county (Louisville area). More here: Governor Andy Beshear

eta: I submitted a question, as did a friend, asking our Gov’ to reduce the number of
Shoppers in the grocery store at one time! Yes! Kroger is working on a plan, hopefully we’ll hear the deets by the end of this week. I also wonder if police of firemen or nat’l guard could deliver grocery products to parents w/o childcare, reducing the risk of transmission via child to elderly/compromised. Also, Kroger will have limits on sought after things.

There is an ice cream truck circling our neighborhood. Playing music to entice the kids. Seems like a bad idea, imo. And the music is creepy.

Last edited:
I'm going to weigh in here, give my wisdom, no charge :)

Humble eh? Just kiddin'.

My wife and I are in self quarantine. We're not going out. We don't have Covid-19, but we're going to lay low for a few days, likely for a few weeks, possibly longer.

I began to prep back in January. I saw the writing on the wall. I highly recommend, if able, build a supply of canned goods, rice, dried beans, pasta, pasta sauce, honey, sugar (if you use it), oatmeal in quantity, and grits.

I stocked up on soaps, paper products, and drinks too.

I am thinking this issue could carry on for quite some time, a range of 6 to 18 months or so.

I have a daughter who is an RN in a U.S. Hospital Emergency room. Pray for her.

I am confident we'll get through this time. Be smart. Wash your hands. Stay away from others. Stay home. Go for groceries. Otherwise, stay home. Order groceries and have them delivered if you can. Otherwise, stay home. Do not have close proximity interaction with anyone. Stay home.

Did I say stay home? Yes, if you can. Self quarantine. Only go out if you need food and/or water. Otherwise, stay home.

My wife and I, we will wait this one out. Sure, we had plans for the summer, but it appears they will not unfold for us. So be it.

It is a good time to check in with your neighbor, make sure they are ok, and have what they need. You could wash your hands well, disinfect to the best of your ability, and leave a care package at their door if they need something.

carry on.

We turn out to be kindred spirits. We're pretty much always "stocked up" for an emergency. We stopped eating out a long time ago (many reasons, we rarely do it). It's true we don't have a lot of paper towels left, but I have a lot of microfiber clothes and a disinfection routine for the washing machine. We're good. We can, in fact, help others in our family/friend circle.

At the end of today, I'll be 7 days out of contact with any member of the public and for my husband, it'll be 8 days. It could have been one more day if our employers had followed public health advice, but at this point, we're pretty sure we do not have it and can now choose our risks carefully.

We too have cancelled summer travel plans, but are not entirely staying home. We plan to go for a walk today (looks like our neighbors all have the same idea - but there are never more than 2 people on a block at a time, it's suburban). We are going for a drive this weekend and may go camping this summer. Lots of places are going to be deserted and lovely.

Thing is, I know I'm going to get this eventually. Maybe not this year. But it might be better to get it within the next six months, while I'm healthy. I was very lucky to be able to avoid major surgery that would have compromised my immune system for a year.

I do not have major underlying health issues, but I'm not exactly the world's healthiest person, either. Somewhere in the middle, for my age.

I am more worried about the economic and mental health of our planet, our nation. I am an introvert and fine staying home, but other people, not so much. Some people need social interaction to maintain mental equilibrium.

At least the internet is still working.

I found this in the WAVE, local paper in Norfolk, the Pilot has a pay wall.

Norfolk-based USNS Comfort ‘floating hospital’ heading to New York City to give aid during outbreak

The Comfort would be used to treat patients with other medical needs and not those diagnosed with the coronavirus, the Navy emphasized.
Yes, we need the beds! Corona patients can use the hospitals and other patients go to the ship. Not ideal, but a heckuva lot better than not enough beds at all.

Fingers crossed this works out well.....though it sounds like it will be awhile before the ship arrives.

"A ship is in the harbor now..." (Hamilton lyrics playing in my head.)

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member