Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only notice women thinking he’s now a sex symbol or hot.
We all have our opinion. I have nothing against him, I don’t care for his leadership style, nor do I like the secrecy surrounding where positive cases originated. Moo
Yeah, well, I have gay friends that find him hot, too. ;)

No, it’s not about his looks, which aren’t outstanding IMO. It’s about how he makes the majority of Kentuckians feel. I am grateful to him for that.

Ontario, Canada. Some of our local grocery stores are doing the same thing. No one goes into the store. It works smoothly, there's no hoarding, and the store can keep their staff safer than if people walked in.

My son picked up groceries today for me. The store had direction markers so everyone walked in single file through the store in the same direction - no chance for anyone to cross paths with anyone.

Ontario, Canada. Some of our local grocery stores are doing the same thing. No one goes into the store. It works smoothly, there's no hoarding, and the store can keep their staff safer than if people walked in.

That would make sense for Texas, but I can't see it happening here. Compliance with restrictions is just not in the local DNA. We have a wide variety of humans here, but a good many share that common trait.

Canada and Germany purchased supplies. While they were in transit to their intended destinations, the US intercepted the orders and took the supplies. That is a problem. No one cares about how supplies are distributed in each country, but one country violating international trade rules and interfering with purchases made by other countries is insane.

yeah it's quite disgusting
no moral grey area here

My son picked up groceries today for me. The store had direction markers so everyone walked in single file through the store in the same direction - no chance for anyone to cross paths with anyone.
Cool idea. Idk if our stores put direction markers down or not. I think stores begin limiting shoppers tomorrow. 50 at a time in box stores.
Probably the best idea yet, imo. As large as a Super-center is, if 25 are on the non food side, it will be relatively easy to navigate the grocery aisles expeditiously.

yeah it's quite disgusting
no moral grey area here
I have a strong suspicion that Germany and Canada attempted to purchase the supplies at prices that say, Nigeria and Bangladesh could never afford.

They had no problem out bidding Nigeria, Bangladesh and dozens of other countries. They only had problems with the concept of out bidding when somebody else out bid them.

I have no illusion that the US would have cried "foul" had the situation been reversed. At the same time, Germany and Canada apparently had no qualms about out bidding others.

In California, my area, bank lobbies are now closed. Causing us problems. Trying to figure out some plan b, as I need a cashiers check. Sigh. Drive thru is open with long line of cars.
Our local bank has also been closed except for the drive thru, however you can call and make an appointment for other services if needed. MOO

More from @Snoods link:

Three convicted child rapists released from N.Y. prison during coronavirus outbreak: Report

“Patrick Phelan, the Greece chief of police, told the news outlet that releasing the sex offenders “doesn’t make any sense.”

“If you could present an argument to me that makes sense, I’m willing to listen. But this doesn’t make any sense,” Chief Phelan told WIVB.”

[...]

“In a statement released to the news channel, the Department of Corrections and Community Services said the decision to release inmates was based on the “underlying technical violation, not the original crime.”

ETA: What the hell does that even mean? “Underlying technical violation not the original crime...”

ETA2: Maybe @Tricia can post the above article on WS Facebook and everyone share it? That would be a huge start.

I’m an action kind of person. We can’t just “talk about it”. What are we going to DO about it? We have a “window of opportunity” here to stop this from happening further.

There are other options. People need jobs. Build Covid safe Isolation unit prisons, do something! Get ahead of this situation!
I hate to stress you out even more, but I have posted a few links about several murderers released as well. Two I remember off the top of my head were in NYC and Houston.

Don’t believe for a second only low level offenders are being released, this is false, false, false. There were actually EIGHT convicted rapists released, three were child rapists. All of the eight released are level 3 offenders, meaning they have been deemed by a court as the most likely to re-offend.

Last edited:
Canada and Germany purchased supplies. While they were in transit to their intended destinations, the US intercepted the orders and took the supplies. That is a problem. No one cares about how supplies are distributed in each country, but one country violating international trade rules and interfering with purchases made by other countries is insane.
I would like to read more about that. Could you provide a link?

I need to vent so please excuse me for a minute.
I am realizing the stress isn't so much as the virus (which it has been to me since the beginning and still is) but the stress for me now is dealing with the people around me who do NOT want to apply the social distancing.
OMG. I am beside myself & stressing out so much tonight because some people in my world are not taking practicing social distancing .
so I have been called a few negative names these past few days
negative Nellie, Debbie downer, paranoid, etc.
Just because these idiots are not complying to what needs to be done and I am taking this very seriously.
sorry to vent but I am beyond Pi$$ed off and over it.
I will do what I have to do to keep myself safe, I guess.
I was trying to keep others safe, but they apparently don't care.
Thanks for listening.
Rant over.

I have a strong suspicion that Germany and Canada attempted to purchase the supplies at prices that say, Nigeria and Bangladesh could never afford.

They had no problem out bidding Nigeria, Bangladesh and dozens of other countries. They only had problems with the concept of out bidding when somebody else out bid them.

I have no illusion that the US would have cried "foul" had the situation been reversed. At the same time, Germany and Canada apparently had no qualms about out bidding others.

Do you have a link for Canada and Germany outbidding?

I’m afraid there will be a mass shooting at one of these large church gatherings.
My guess is that the churches in question probably trust in God, but also hedge their bets by keeping arms and ammunition close at hand.

Many, many threads ago @Tricia banned the minimizing of coronavirus from the threads when some were saying it was no big deal. Lives were at stake. IMO minimizing of social distancing here is equally dangerous. In most states it is the law. In all states social distancing can flatten the curve and saves lives and hospital capacity. PLEASE take it seriously. This is not the time to choose your own freedom and happiness over the greater good of society. Thank you.
MOO JMO
I agree.i was giving him masks and he was giving me bandaids - but we should not have spoken 6 feet apart without masks. I’ve thought about if this goes on for awhile (like months), maybe we could sit 30 feet apart with our Belgian beer and chat over our phones so we don’t have to shout. But seeing each other, even that far away, would be comforting. Seeing my mom at the top of the stairs when I deliver things to her helps, too.

I live in Ontario, too. As of tomorrow morning Ontario Home Depots are not allowing people into the store. It will be curbside service. We don't have any plants yet in the greenhouses, at the moment, still too cold. I would imagine the same format as other stores limiting access. Although, as a gardener, I like to pick out my own plants. Nurseries are probably really nervous since they've spent all winter growing plants and may possibly end up doing what they were doing in the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago: dumping everything.

Home Hardware is already restricting entry to the inside. My husband who's a contractor was there today and no one's allowed in the store, you make your purchase request and they bring it to you, give you the debit machine then wipe everything down. I guess you can't go in and wander around looking for bathroom vanities or lighting fixtures but building is ramping up and people need to move into their new homes or have their renovations finished.

Personally, I think opening for planting can be done successfully by restricting entry, have discrete areas where only shrubs are in one place and only annuals, etc to cut down on numerous people wandering around. I love shopping for plants and I suspect most people do as well, because gardening is a perfect way to keep you tethered to your home.

I went into the LCBO the other day to buy some wine. Only one outlet open now in my town. They closed the second one because it's much smaller and more crowded and the staff were getting really nervous with everyone in such close proximity. You had to stand outside on a line 6 feet apart, no kids allowed in the store, maximum two persons together and only 10 customers in the store at once. You can still buy as much as you want, though. One guy cleaned out a whole display of a certain wine, about 30 bottles.

Do you have a link for Canada and Germany outbidding?
No, link. Just the concept of supply and demand.

The equipment in question is in very short supply globally and is in very high demand. This combination drives prices up in the absence of imposed price controls. The fact that the Germans and Canadians were later out bid themselves strongly suggests no price controls.

Heck, even before the crisis, the ability of some developing countries to afford even basic medical equipment was marginal (I have worked in refugee camps, trust me).

In the end, it is extremely likely that the Germans and Canadians purchased the equipment at prices that developing countries could never afford. In effect, they just out bid the developing nations.

Last edited:
I need to vent so please excuse me for a minute.
I am realizing the stress isn't so much as the virus (which it has been to me since the beginning and still is) but the stress for me now is dealing with the people around me who do NOT want to apply the social distancing.
OMG. I am beside myself & stressing out so much tonight because some people in my world are not taking practicing social distancing .
so I have been called a few negative names these past few days
negative Nellie, Debbie downer, paranoid, etc.
Just because these idiots are not complying to what needs to be done and I am taking this very seriously.
sorry to vent but I am beyond Pi$$ed off and over it.
I will do what I have to do to keep myself safe, I guess.
I was trying to keep others safe, but they apparently don't care.
Thanks for listening.
Rant over.
I get it. I did go into work twice this week for an hour at a time to do some necessary work. We are supposed to not enter the building if another employee is already there. But one of my co-workers, the sneezing and coughing one, keeps coming in when someone else is there. She had me cussing last week.

I think opening for planting can be done successfully by restricting entry, have discrete areas where only shrubs are in one place and only annuals, etc to cut down on numerous people wandering around.
I was thinking our Lowe’s might be able to set cashier stands outside in the a garden area. WMT used to when they had their end of summer clearance sale. I did read the home store won’t mass mail sale circulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trendtonone