Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking this. I wish we had even a few to check out to patrons so they could download books. Large print downloading is available for our elderly. There’s even a dyslexic font available. It’s a great resource for many reasons.
Some elderly have older iPads or other tablets - run into issues with newer apps not loading or problems running apps. And even if we ship a new iPad - who is going to set it up or transfer their information? Lots to think about.

Large print books - especially the new releases are a favorite with my aunt.

Large piece puzzles (300-500 count) are extremely hard to find now online. Amazon is out or price gouging.

The 1000 piece puzzles have small pieces and sometimes the elderly get frustrated with those.

Readers Digest has a large print version you can order as a subscription also.

JMO

I’ve seen several postings on NextDoor wanting to puzzle swap.

I was just thinking this. I wish we had even a few to check out to patrons so they could download books. Large print downloading is available for our elderly. There’s even a dyslexic font available. It’s a great resource for many reasons.
We have book exchanges in our neighborhood - places on corners or in parks where people can leave/take books. Almost every residential building has something like that too, usually in the laundry room. I've noticed a lively turnover of books lately. I have some I can take down....will do that today, to add a fresh mix to the collection.

I suppose there is concern about germ spread. I haven't picked up any books not because of the virus but because I have enough (way more than enough) already in my to-read pile. I wonder if people are wiping the books down? Could leave them out in the sunshine - that is something I've done when an old book gets a musty smell.

jmo

Some elderly have older iPads or other tablets - run into issues with newer apps not loading or problems running apps. And even if we ship a new iPad - who is going to set it up or transfer their information? Lots to think about.

Large print books - especially the new releases are a favorite with my aunt.

Large piece puzzles (300-500 count) are extremely hard to find now online. Amazon is out or price gouging.

The 1000 piece puzzles have small pieces and sometimes the elderly get frustrated with those.

Readers Digest has a large print version you can order as a subscription also.

JMO

I’ve seen several postings on NextDoor wanting to puzzle swap.
I had luck finding puzzles at museum online shops. We're working on one now. :) It's 1000 piece, but I did see puzzles with fewer pieces when I was shopping.

If our marriage survives Covid AND working on a 1000 piece puzzle together, we can survive anything. :)

jmo

I came across this today and thought to share. He always seems to make me ponder my beliefs, which many here do and is a GOOD thing IYKWIM. So many times others post here and it makes me "ponder", I will "consider" and often *lightbulb* it enlightens me to change my viewpoint.... which I tremendously like to have happen in my life at this age lol. Not posting as agreeing with all, but much to consider.

He has information here I wasn't aware of, and speaks to questions many of us have or things to consider in the "big picture" (global, which may not be best for you and I), and many I hadn't even thought about asking.

By Bill Gates... (yes, it is not MSM, but I have asked/received mod approval at Websleuths to post as an FYI)

The first modern pandemic | Bill Gates

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I wish everyone would read this (and not the crazy "sunshine") stuff. I wonder how many people know what "viral load" means? There have been several robust discussions here, but those are often buried under all kinds of other posts.

I do think NY has a faster replicating form. That's one of the most common viral mutations. It doesn't have to change its mechanism of death (in fact, that's a bad idea from the virus's point of view) but to be a successful virus, it does have to reproduce very, very quickly.

The second bullet will be all that most people read. It isn't the mechanism of CV that attacks the body that makes it worse, it's the fact that it can multiple to vast levels very quickly, thereby infecting millions (and killing...whatever the percentage is).

So far people posting here that they don't think 5% is "all that bad" are almost never countered.

5% is quite a lot, especially as the median age in the US appears to have dropped to about 48-50. That means a lot of 30 and 40 somethings will die (probably 1% of 30 year olds, to balance the 20% of 80+ people who die).

If WSers were okay with a 5% death rate, I'm curious as to why everyone is so interested in murder and missing people...800,000 missing people annually (of which only a fraction are discussed so earnestly here) is quite a few.

800,000 is only 0.2%

5 per cent is a lot more than that. 1 in 20 people. Not 2 in 1000. Of course, some of the missing return or are found.

1 in 20 people is a lot of people. And many will be doctors, nurses, professors, lab scientists, and others who would have otherwise taught the next generation what they know.

Would those individuals who believe those numbers aren't that bad, especially if they are in an age group that is particularly vulnerable, be okay giving up their heart meds, their diabetes meds, their HBP meds? They'd save the health care business a lot of money if they did. Just dying of whatever afflicts you would be a great equalizer, wouldn't it? If you're going to die of Covid 19 because you're 80, then you should probably just die of diabetes when you're 60. Right?

Last edited:
I came across this today and thought to share. He always seems to make me ponder my beliefs, which many here do and is a GOOD thing IYKWIM. So many times others post here and it makes me "ponder", I will "consider" and often *lightbulb* it enlightens me to change my viewpoint.... which I tremendously like to have happen in my life at this age lol. Not posting as agreeing with all, but much to consider.

He has information here I wasn't aware of, and speaks to questions many of us have or things to consider in the "big picture" (global, which may not be best for you and I), and many I hadn't even thought about asking.

By Bill Gates... (yes, it is not MSM, but I have asked/received mod approval at Websleuths to post as an FYI)

The first modern pandemic | Bill Gates
I'm reading it through it now, and this popped out at me:

"Entire sectors of the economy are shut down. It is important to realize that this is not just the result of government policies restricting activities. When people hear that an infectious disease is spreading widely, they change their behavior."

True! And, even as places open up, that doesn't mean people will start going to those places or spending money. Even when policies lift, the economy might not instantly rebound. Let's be prepared for that.

jmo

I'm reading it through it now, and this popped out at me:

"Entire sectors of the economy are shut down. It is important to realize that this is not just the result of government policies restricting activities. When people hear that an infectious disease is spreading widely, they change their behavior."

True! And, even as places open up, that doesn't mean people will start going to those places or spending money. Even when policies lift, the economy might not instantly rebound. Let's be prepared for that.

jmo

And some people may change their spending habits forever. They may see the value of not carrying around piles of cash to pay for stuff, using their debit card for purchases. They may realize that an activity they got involved in during isolation gives them greater pleasure than going to the bar every day after work.

I have a friend who inherited A LOT of money a couple of years ago. She started spending money at an accelerated pace. Once we were going to Costco "just to look around" and she made a beeline to the oversized carts. I said lets just walk around first and see what interests us then we'll get a cart. So we did, and every time we saw something she like or wanted, she'd say "I wish we had the cart". At the end of our incursion we were going to go back and pick up all that stuff she needed but with the exception of a couple of things, she couldn't remember what they were. A perfect example of impulse buying.

I don't take credit for the plan, I heard it on a Canadian tv show called Till Debt Do Us Part. A show where couples, whose spending habits are so ingrained in them they were near bankruptcy, learned to understand where their money went. The thing is, all those people who carried cash who now may continue with a debit card, will spend more money than they ever had.

Right. And things can be interpreted differently. I did not interpret that the same way you did. IMO, a disinfectant made for the body. Not literally bleach or some such ridiculousness. GMAB.
People have literally been selling people bleach to drink saying it cleans this.

it’s absolutely scary to see someone with that power suggest to inject cleaning solution

Would those individuals who believe those numbers aren't that bad, especially if they are in an age group that is particularly vulnerable, be okay giving up their heart meds, their diabetes meds, their HBP meds? They'd save the health care business a lot of money if they did. Just dying of whatever afflicts you would be a great equalizer, wouldn't it? If you're going to die of Covid 19 because you're 80, then you should probably just die of diabetes when you're 60. Right?

If people say the numbers aren't that bad, imo the reference isn't to people dying because a medical condition they have isn't being treated (like the examples in your post). Rather, I believe they're saying the numbers aren't that bad relative to the havoc the lockdown is wreaking on all facets of everyone else's life for who knows how long to come. jmo

We have book exchanges in our neighborhood - places on corners or in parks where people can leave/take books. Almost every residential building has something like that too, usually in the laundry room. I've noticed a lively turnover of books lately. I have some I can take down....will do that today, to add a fresh mix to the collection.

I suppose there is concern about germ spread. I haven't picked up any books not because of the virus but because I have enough (way more than enough) already in my to-read pile. I wonder if people are wiping the books down? Could leave them out in the sunshine - that is something I've done when an old book gets a musty smell.

jmo
I have just returned from quarantining a bunch of books.

That’s a statement I never imagined I would ever say.

But there they are - first wiped down, then bagged, and now occupying a quarantine space in my vehicle just in case a couple of weeks from now we are allowed to resume loaning books in some manner. I won’t have to wait for quarantine, as these will have already been done.

I think one of the concerns is that even if we know how long the virus may last on paper sitting in open air on a desk, we really don’t know how long the virus lasts if someone sneezes while reading and that book is then closed. Does it last longer on paper if it was deposited on page 132 of 300 pages and then shut up in the dark on a shelf? No light is getting inside that book while it is shelved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member