Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
With all of you talking about the elderly, I want to mention that I am just tortured by thoughts of our elderly patrons who rely on the library. I go to bed trying to think of safe ways to serve those without devices they can download books on. The library is a bright spot in their day. They look forward to those trips, to browsing.

It is always on my mind, and I’ve filled a notebook with thoughts and ideas on how we could possibly do more now, and how we can phase our reopening. But for every seemingly good idea, there is also the devil’s advocate in my ear regarding their safety.

If not for them, I would not be at all eager to leave quarantine. But I want solutions for them.

Libraries having to be closed now, when people in lockdown need us the most, is just a terrible thing. Every day I’m aware that we have a building full of free movies, audios, books, puzzles, and magazines that could ease the discomfort people are feeling, yet we cannot allow them to come get these things.

The village next to me has filled Rubbermaid tubs set out on the church steps with books, puzzles, and games, and another one with cleaning supplies they are willing to share. It has its risks, but this is how they are dealing with lack of access to libraries. Essentially, they have a library in a tub created by the residents there.

Do you get a history when you pull up library cards? I'm wondering if you could do home delivery based on their likes? Jmo

Our Prime Minister - today - has ordered our aged care facilities to ease up and allow families to visit their relatives (social distancing to be observed) otherwise he will step in and put some regulations in place.

We are fortunate enough for our numbers to be fairly low, with relatively few aged care facility deaths, and our PM seems to be acutely aware of the continued negative affects on the aged care population.

Scott Morrison has laid down the gauntlet to aged care providers over what he sees as excessive restrictions, warning that the Australian government will step in if elderly residents are locked in their rooms without access to visitors.
Scott Morrison warns aged care homes to end strict coronavirus lockdowns or face new rules

Our numbers are sooooooooo bad.... but I just hope they can kick start visits in senior homes earlier than other re-openings. In Florida, most senior living centers have lovely outdoor space.... So much can be done with the outdoor space to make it more protective. If there were a place to go, on a volunteer basis... I dunno..i just think it can be done sooner rather than later. i hope anyway.

Right. And things can be interpreted differently. I did not interpret that the same way you did. IMO, a disinfectant made for the body. Not literally bleach or some such ridiculousness. GMAB.
I took what Trump said as being lets look at things that can kill the virus inside of people after they are infected. JMO

Are Scientists even capable of tracking this to an exact time/place/animal/mistake or is this just more of a rely on a percentage (eg 99 percent probably with some error range) of most likely scenario?
Always an error range and most likely/most accepted scenario by majority of scientists. There will always be controversy about this, like pretty much everything in science. Look at the evidence and the statistics to back the evidence, and conduct experiments to see if the evidence holds up. But keep an open mind and open eyes out for new evidence. JMO.

I think it is true, though, that just because epidemiologists can model the spread, especially with hindsight, that the ideal point at which the outbreak could have been stopped is generally at a point where it would be an extremely hard sell on populations to have lockdown when there are only ten cases or 'only' ten deaths in a country of tens of millions of people. Add on top of that, that at that point you'd have a government (of any country, not naming any specific country) reassuring the population that they're doing everything they can and don't panic!

Even now with thousands of deaths, there are a lot of people chomping on the bit wanting lockdowns ended asap, and wondering if they were even the right thing to do in the first place.

EXACTLY! So much I could run with on this post, but I know that most here can read my mind lol.

It's just the reality of the situation. For many of us here since thread #1, we kept seeing others not reacting.. e.g. Until it hits my country, no problem until in my country. Until it hits my state, no problem until in my state. Until it hits my city.. I'll then hunker down. Until it hits someone I know through 2 degrees of separation... and they died or were tragically in the hospital etc... I AM IN for agreeing to the government to shut down. MOO

As was stated earlier, we are all in the same storm.. yet see and live it differently. Some HAVE to go back to work to put food on their tables (for few in the areas which most of us are from, yet for many of those in Africa, it is THAT DAY) etc.. etc.. etc...

I took what Trump said as being lets look at things that can kill the virus inside of people after they are infected. JMO

Same here. We all interpret things based on our own agendas and personal feelings, though.

There's a governor I refuse to watch or read about, tbh. I just flat have it out for this person. So naturally I'm going to be negative about anything this person says.

Jmo

With all of you talking about the elderly, I want to mention that I am just tortured by thoughts of our elderly patrons who rely on the library. I go to bed trying to think of safe ways to serve those without devices they can download books on. The library is a bright spot in their day. They look forward to those trips, to browsing.

It is always on my mind, and I’ve filled a notebook with thoughts and ideas on how we could possibly do more now, and how we can phase our reopening. But for every seemingly good idea, there is also the devil’s advocate in my ear regarding their safety.

If not for them, I would not be at all eager to leave quarantine. But I want solutions for them.

Libraries having to be closed now, when people in lockdown need us the most, is just a terrible thing. Every day I’m aware that we have a building full of free movies, audios, books, puzzles, and magazines that could ease the discomfort people are feeling, yet we cannot allow them to come get these things.

The village next to me has filled Rubbermaid tubs set out on the church steps with books, puzzles, and games, and another one with cleaning supplies they are willing to share. It has its risks, but this is how they are dealing with lack of access to libraries. Essentially, they have a library in a tub created by the residents there.
Yes!! I'm not elderly (yet!), but the library is huge part of my life. I miss it dearly!!!

jmo

Do you get a history when you pull up library cards? I'm wondering if you could do home delivery based on their likes? Jmo
Libraries do not keep records like that. In fact, they fiercely protect patrons' privacy.

However, a program where patrons request items or genres might be useful, or where they can chose from options - or just take what is delivered as a surprise. Not a bad idea.

jmo

Only if a patron has requested their history be kept. But the truth is, I know the preferences for every regular so can do this without a problem. But the group library system that we answer to has said we cannot do this right now. I had been doing it for some previously. So I’m bummed about this change now.

I’m actually going up there today to pull some books for an elderly patron and stick them in my spare vehicle here to quarantine, in hopes that we can get the go-ahead to do this with certain precautions taken soon. If not, I’ll check them back in. But we haven’t touched that vehicle in a month, and I can let them sit there for weeks in the heat.

It took decades for scientists to try to figure out patient zero/where HIV came from and when started to grow in the population.

As with HIV, the most we may be able to EVER determine is through genetic investigations retrospectively. There is a man who was considered "patient zero" for HIV for years.. yet was not... (he was a Canadian flight attendant) For a long time he was mentioned in books and in the media as patient zero as they could not trace before him (he kept diaries of his sexual contacts which was a pot of gold for the epidemiologists)... yet in 1999 they showed the virus went waaaaaaay back... but I digress.

Gaetan Dugas. He was Patient O, only it wasn't Zero it was the letter O. It stood for Out of California because he was a Canadian Flight Attendant who had travelled there for work. It came from the book And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts, not sure if Shilts made it up or if he just got wrong information. To be fair even back then Shilts pointed out it's debateable whether he was patient zero and there's no way of knowing.

Yes!! I'm not elderly (yet!), but the library is huge part of my life. I miss it dearly!!!

jmo
It is for many. A FedEx guy comes in weekly for audiobooks to listen to on his route. I’ve been thinking about him, too. There are kids who don’t own a single book and depend on our books to temporarily transport themselves out of their home situations and into a better place in their minds. It’s more important than many people realize.

Are Scientists even capable of tracking this to an exact time/place/animal/mistake or is this just more of a rely on a percentage (eg 99 percent probably with some error range) of most likely scenario?

I highly recommend the book Spillover by Qammen, it explains all of this very well. The Hot Zone is a more popular book of that type because it's more entertaining, but it's also innaccurate and sensationalized, Spillover is drier because it's not a narrative but it's more informative and accurate it also covers much more than just viral haemorrhagic fevers. It covers most known Zoonotic diseases at the time: SARS, Ebola, Marburg, HIV, etc.

If I had the money I would be distributing kindles or iPads to the seniors - lots of games to play and books to read - my dad played FarmVille at 83 .....
I was just thinking this. I wish we had even a few to check out to patrons so they could download books. Large print downloading is available for our elderly. There’s even a dyslexic font available. It’s a great resource for many reasons.

Good morning to all. We are all safe and well here in West Texas..... Let the coffee drinking, burrito eating , wife "bugging", and Virus News TV watching and reading about, begin.........I got the "lazies" today.......Yall stay safe and happy today...........:).........onefingertypingwithmymouthfullcody22....moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loveland