Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a picnic on my front porch with me, myself and I. I thought I would really miss eating out since that is basically how I got fed but I don't.

There is a bird nest on my porch and underneath the nest is a disaster. i need to motivate myself to clean up the mess.
My small back porch usually - in a past life that seems so long ago - was covered in flowers during the season. This year, it's my backporch garden. I have leaf lettuce I've been snipping for a month now, romaine growing, planted seeds and now sprouting healthy baby plants of zucchini, squash and baby carrots.
Every spring it's a race as to whether I get my porch first or a moma bird makes her way there. Over night, Moma Robin came to visit and from no nest to a nest of 2 eggs magically appeared. The next day there were 4 eggs. So we had to share the first 3 weeks, as I was having to bring planters inside due to low temps often. I would be quick as possible and she would sit on the railing squalling at me as I moved planters inside/outside and watered them. 4 naked little robins appeared right at 2 weeks and grew into healthy young red breasted robins for next 2 weeks. I took videos and pictures and shared with all the grandbabies for past month. They flew away Friday and when I sent the last pic of empty nest, my daughter responded with "I've loved every minute of raising these birds. Man, we're great parents."
This weekend I have had my porch back and have totally enjoyed every second, but have to admit, I miss checking in on the babies.

More will be added when 4 more malls in Atlanta open this week....
Damn, this makes me crazy! Why bother with the original shutdown anyway if everything is just going to open up again? People will get sick, there will be more deaths, hospitals and icu's will overload, health care workers at greater risk? I admit, I don't get it.

For sports, coronavirus testing remains a major hurdle
MIAMI — Politicians, players and owners are trying to figure out a way to get baseball, basketball and hockey going again, not only for economic reasons but as a welcome diversion for a social distancing nation facing uncertain times.
But to do so would require commandeering thousands of test kits each week for millionaire pro athletes and support staff, something many view as unseemly, especially when ordinary Americans are waiting in line.
Leagues know it would be a terrible look for them to jump the testing line.

more@link

"The 4 major trouble countries now, #COVID19 pandemic:
Brazil, Russia, India, and United States
(increase in slope or no descent
)"

"In contrast, more than 20 countries have achieved flattening, horizontal case curves, a few at or nearing zero (add Hong Kong, a region)"
Eric Topol on Twitter

(BRIUS) Cases @OurWorldInData and Deaths @FT
Eric Topol on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_170000.jpg
    IMG_20200503_170000.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200503_170243.jpg
    IMG_20200503_170243.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 8
:(:( Worst as I’ve seen it so far last week at work. Tuesday almost Every bed in the Er had a positive or suspected case. From what I’m gathering our voluntary social distancing has been slipping Recently. Vehicle traffic definitely has increased noticeably (Massachusetts)
Eta we supposedly peaked April 20-27? I don’t remember. Feels like we’re still going strong here Plateau maybe ?
Eta again. Our daily city/county numbers are posted by 5/6 pm . I haven’t looked yet today . But weekend numbers don’t seem to accurately reflect anyway.
"A tale of two countries:
USA overall, clearly at plateau.
USA, excluding MA/CT/NJ/NY, drifting higher."
(((Howard Forman))) on Twitter

Last edited:
Everyone spending time in stores just to get out of the house. Or holding church services or gathering in their yards or parks Or whatever they’re doing needs to read that. Numerous times And picture themselves or a family member in that bed. And realize medical folks are a tough breed. But theyre doing this over and over and over. the mental health fallout is going to be awful for them

Last edited:
I did nothing this weekend. I needed to clean but I have been so tired. Between the virus and a work week from hell, my nerves were shot. Being able to sit outside has really improved my mindset. I did vacuum - actually robo-vac did it. The dust can wait until next weekend. This weekend has been a mental health weekend for me. So glad that the weather co-operated.

Today's temp was tolerable so there could have been an outdoor service. Keep in mind the planting season here is not until May 30. That says a lot. We had snow last year in May. The church service outdoor services assumption is it would be a long term idea, which would not work in many states.
Well we have had snow in August on occasions here in the UK. I guess we are only looking at a few months until the herd immunity begins to take effect.

It seems so 20th C for human contact tracers to interview and track down contacts of infected people when TraceTogether apps provide instant data. I realize that some people view digital tracing as a violation of personal rights. However, regardless of whether the information is obtained through conversation or bluetooth digital data, the result is the same. Time and location is revealed for the benefit of the person who is traced.

Most people don't realize that every time they walk into a shop, it is very likely that their cell phone ID has been recorded and tracked for marketing purposes. The TraceTogether app uses the same principals but, instead of collecting cell phone ID when it enters a shop, it collects cell phone ID proximity that is only accessed when the phone ID has been close to the phone ID of a sick person.

Digital tracing may seem like "big brother is watching" even though it's nothing more than the more reliable digital version of asking people who they were near. Furthermore, chances are that most people have already agreed to cell phone ID tracking with one or another cell phone download. The difference here is that governments are spelling out how it is used, whereas other apps bury it in consent to use an app.

BBM

Wait what? I am being tracked as to what stores I'm going in? I expect this on the internet with cookies when I visit sites and then find those site ads following me but not when I literally walk into a store.

So I clicked on this cool pair of jeans with flowers all over them months ago, and sure enough this same pair of jeans follows me around the internet in ads.

1-jpg-1564365349273.jpeg

I don't find this creepy, but it is creepy to have companies track me through my phone just because I walk into a store. So if I go into Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks I will be getting text messages of book and coffee ads?

Last edited:
Damn, this makes me crazy! Why bother with the original shutdown anyway if everything is just going to open up again? People will get sick, there will be more deaths, hospitals and icu's will overload, health care workers at greater risk? I admit, I don't get it.
Ditto.

The people in charge are screwing up big time IMO. Like you said, what is the point of staying home if we're just going to be back to where we started. Very depressing. I'm supposed to get my teeth cleaned on the 12th of this month....I'm going to reschedule even though they have good guidelines in place. I'm just not ready to have a stranger (even in a mask) in my mouth.

My question as well. Shutdowns slowed it down but obviously didn't stop it. Opening it all up just means cases will go up. We are still nowhere near herd immunity, but I guess we are now going for it? A lot more people will end up dead.

Well we have had snow in August on occasions here in the UK. I guess we are only looking at a few months until the herd immunity begins to take effect.
We had a crazy hail storm in Bucks yesterday! Then beautiful sun. Weather is as confused as everything else.

Have you seen @tresir2012 the news re potentially phasing the daily commute? I cant see that's a viable option but interesting to see how it pans out as an idea.

BBM

Wait what? I am being tracked as to what stores I'm going in? I expect this on the internet with cookies when I visit sites and then find those site ads following me but not when I literally walk into a store.

So I clicked on this cool pair of jeans with flowers all over them months ago, and sure enough this same pair of jeans follows me around the internet in ads.

I don't find this creepy, but it is creepy to have companies track me through my phone just because I walk into a store. So if I go into Barnes and Noble I will be getting text messages of book and coffee ads?
Years ago, I read The Broken Window by Jeffrey Deaver. Never had a store loyalty card since!

I did nothing this weekend. I needed to clean but I have been so tired. Between the virus and a work week from hell, my nerves were shot. Being able to sit outside has really improved my mindset. I did vacuum - actually robo-vac did it. The dust can wait until next weekend. This weekend has been a mental health weekend for me. So glad that the weather co-operated.
Girl. It's ok to not be ok. You have to take care of yourself. Doing nothing is allowed! Veg on the porch with a book and your favorite beverage. Take a long bath. Don't clean the damn house. The dirt will still be there later. Don't be hard on yourself.

Girl. It's ok to not be ok. You have to take care of yourself. Doing nothing is allowed! Veg on the porch with a book and your favorite beverage. Take a long bath. Don't clean the damn house. The dirt will still be there later. Don't be hard on yourself.
Also, if I may jump in - it isnt doing nothing. It's re-charging and re-wiring. Absolutely essential even at the best of times ;)

:(:( Worst as I’ve seen it so far last week at work. Tuesday almost Every bed in the Er had a positive or suspected case. From what I’m gathering our voluntary social distancing has been slipping Recently. Massachusetts
Eta we supposedly peaked April 20-27? I don’t remember. Feels like we’re still going strong here Plateau maybe ?
Eta again. Our daily city/county numbers are posted by 5/6 pm . I haven’t looked yet today . But weekend numbers don’t seem to accurately reflect anyway.
I've been shocked at how stubborn the numbers have been in MA. All non essentials have been shut for several weeks, schools are closed (sorry, I can't resist the urge here to recommend 'School's out for summer' by Alice Cooper) and the state has world class healthcare facilities. Everyone I know in the area is taking social distancing seriously and now we've got a mask mandate. What else can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph