Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, their choice to allow themselves to contaminate and be contaminated. Do we want to be in their presence when they visit supermarkets, drug stores, etc? It may be their choice to pack into houses of worship, but they have no right to make us sick in return.

Actually @Chelly I do understand. I am just so tired of hearing about this choice thing. I get snarky about it. I do have choice, and will still go to my markets at the earliest hours. I am not convinced of anything anymore. I am willing to wait out another month to see what happens. If cases stay low, then I will come out more, and then wait for Autumn.

Bit this disease is killing and harming people of all ages just not at the same rate as elderly. May I suggest a read about Nick Cordero, actor, age 41, no underlying conditions, not overweight. Hospitalized since March, leg removed, strokes and seizures. He may not make it.
I don't think we know about underlying conditions in his case though do we? Does he suffer from diabetes for example? Hope and prayers he makes it as he has had an epic struggle.

Why would people be given drug that doesn't help and increases their chances of dying? Because that's what is happening with hydoxychloroquine-people given this drug died at a higher rate than the ones who were not given it. The drug given without any credible clinical trials showing it has any benefit.
Again, study showed that people given this drug had higher death rate than the ones who was not. So not all of them were going to "die anyway." Some of them might have survived if not for the drug.
I didn't say they were all going to die anyway. I said probably and it depends so don't misquote me please. It appears to me they were the serious cases and those who got thru that with or without any drugs were lucky. They or their relatives would also have had a choice whether to go in to the "study" also, presumably. MOO

The lightning comparison is interesting. When you have been struck by lightning, can you not know it, and
then transmit that lighting to 50 other people in your church choir that evening?
Bring that lightning home to your grandma?
Breathe that lightning into the faces of the medical personnel that are treating you?
Will they then avoid going home to their toddlers to avoid passing that lightning to them?
Could your young healthcare providers die unexpectedly at home from that lightning because they aren't really sure if they've been struck, or if it's just a cold, flu, or allergies, and they can't get a quick, reliable test?
Maybe they have a silent, underlying risk factor like inflammation, and we can say, "see - lightning's not such a big deal. It just kills people with unknown underlying conditions...that could never be me"

Covid is 20 times deadlier than the flu.
"New research shows that counted deaths from COVID-19 in mid-April were about 20 times greater than seasonal influenza counted deaths recorded during peak weeks of the past seven flu seasons."
Study Shows COVID-19 Body Count 20 Times Higher Than Seasonal Flu Deaths
I think deaths from influenza alone are low but there is a need to maybe look at the combined flu and pneumonia deaths and compare that number to Covid pneumonia maybe.

The lightning comparison is interesting. When you have been struck by lightning, can you not know it, and
then transmit that lighting to 50 other people in your church choir that evening?
Bring that lightning home to your grandma?
Breathe that lightning into the faces of the medical personnel that are treating you?
Will they then avoid going home to their toddlers to avoid passing that lightning to them?
Could your young healthcare providers die unexpectedly at home from that lightning because they aren't really sure if they've been struck, or if it's just a cold, flu, or allergies, and they can't get a quick, reliable test?
Maybe they have a silent, underlying risk factor like inflammation, and we can say, "see - lightning's not such a big deal. It just kills people with unknown underlying conditions...that could never be me"
We can put lightning rods on houses and churches so they become safe. That is like the covid vaccine or the hand washing and masks. Not all properties have them.

ETA. Also lightening causes fire which can spread and kill more people.

Last edited:
"A symptomatic hair stylist in Springfield, Missouri, may have exposed 84 clients and seven coworkers to the novel coronavirus over the course of eight days this month."
Coronavirus live updates: Symptomatic hair stylist potentially exposes dozens of people
It will be interesting to try and follow this because

"All potentially exposed individuals will be notified and offered testing, Goddard said. Officials are hoping for a minimal spread of COVID-19 from this incident because all parties concerned were wearing masks."

I know someone struck by lightning, my sister brother- in- law, and dog in their boat in Maryland. It struck their boat while they were sleeping, but that counts. And they lived and got a new boat out of the deal.

It will be interesting to try and follow this because

"All potentially exposed individuals will be notified and offered testing, Goddard said. Officials are hoping for a minimal spread of COVID-19 from this incident because all parties concerned were wearing masks."
Unless they were all wearing N95 masks, I wouldn't count on minimal spread.

The point was to slow the spread so that ICU could cope. That was the only reason AFAIK.

Right. The reason we were given for this shutdown was to save the hospitals from overload. Now, it is like the goal posts got moved with some people to some other goal. Now, the goal is to get the economy up and running.

The trial that was recently mentioned stated that the trials were on seriously ill patients so I am wondering if they get permission from the next of kin. I would imagine that they have too.

Without truly credible national guidance, I have just had to rely on WWID (similar to WWJD, but stands for What would I do??)

Doctor: would you like to try the HCQ?
Me: No
End of Story. The End.

I went to get my snow tires off and the summer tires on today ... I know, I know, what's the rush? Covid protocol was in place. First I had to show proof that I had an appointment to get through the road block.

The garage doesn't have a waiting room any more. Customers stay behind their wheel since mechanics do not get into your car. I had a great time, driving onto the hoist and going up, up, up. With all the windows down, I could enjoy the smell of fresh tires and hear the stupefying garage music. Before I finished reading a chapter, I came back down, down, down. It was a fun adventure.

I'm to come back after putting on 100 kms. That could be next fall when it's time to put the snows back on.

My next outing is in just three weeks, to the annual hazardous waste collection day. I'll put my jar of batteries in the trunk and the nice folks at the collection will gather them right out of the trunk and reclaim or recycle, or whatever it is they do with the stuff. This will be great fun. The whole village lines up for this event. The press will likely be there.

I would looooove that tire changing experience!!! Wonder how my pup would do however. He haaatttes the car wash.

Right. The reason we were given for this shutdown was to save the hospitals from overload. Now, it is like the goal posts got moved with some people to some other goal. Now, the goal is to get the economy up and running.
But did we get more capacity in the hospitals? Because seems like we right back where we started. And it's going to be hard to keep the economy running with covid still spreading, considering we know how widely it spread at some factories and meat packing plants.

All things considered, most people I know are quite pleased with the lower case numbers in Florida, from what we had expected. However, most people I know also do not trust our numbers. Maybe this is common in all states, but clearly leaving out the care home cases at the height of the infections, really got confusing....

If interested, listen to the little story recited by our governor that plays when reading the article!!!

Why Florida can't get its story straight on Covid numbers (opinion) - CNN

Scared to Return to Work Amid COVID-19? Here Are Your Options

There really isn't any choice for most people who are working. Roll the dice.

Everyone is going to have a different situation, and they are going to have to decide what to do. I believe that most people really don't have any choice in the matter. They are not old enough to retire, don't have a house paid off, or a spouse to rely on a 2nd income.

Go back to work. Wear a mask. Wash hands. Pray.

Returning to work or school will require infection control training, protective equipment-job specific and MOST importantly commitment from the employee or student.

Coming from HC, back in the 90s the HHC industry was required to become accredited (meeting a gold standard) New policies, procedures were mandated. Non medical "degree" staff were resistant, costing 60 to 70% job loss within the first year.

Folks are resistant to change, we want to live in a paradigm, and stepping out of the box creates tremendous stress. It became easier to hire and train new employees than the day to day struggles of resistant/angry staff.

Everyday, we experience resistance, daily in MSM, folks with no mask, crowds, secret parties, etc. We watched our medical professionals/media daily begging us to wash our hands and stay home, the horror stories coming from our healthcare workers.

I hope that we can successfully retrain our society. We have nowhere to go to escape this virus. Changing/quitting jobs, only venturing out when necessary, not hugging our kids, grandkids and friends, are drastic life style changes and very stressful.

We are divided, just like I experienced at work, protests, fights in stores, folks attacking each other, civil unrest. The longer we go the more resistance/violent folks become, on both sides of the fence.

Just my opinion, each adult will need to make a personal decision to opt in or out of this change and to what level/committment. I will need to decide who and what I can live with. Some of us have already, lost friends, ticked off family members, who do not agree with our decisions.

Imho...

I know someone struck by lightning, my sister brother- in- law, and dog in their boat in Maryland. It struck their boat while they were sleeping, but that counts. And they lived and got a new boat out of the deal.
Chances of getting covid are still much higher than being struck by lighting. At least 1 % of population is likely infected. In some states, more. I don't think 1% of population has been struck by lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimzee