Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa is also the #1 pork producing state, so may indicate even more trouble ahead
I don't have a link for it right now, but Tyson has already had 3 outbreaks in Iowa since April. Columbus Junction, Perry, and Waterloo. I have talked about it alot previously with links. Columbus Junction and Waterloo were each closed for around 2 weeks if IIRC. Again IMO because of no links.

I don't have a link for it right now, but Tyson has already had 3 outbreaks in Iowa since April. Columbus Junction, Perry, and Waterloo. I have talked about it alot previously with links. Columbus Junction and Waterloo were each closed for around 2 weeks if IIRC. Again IMO because of no links.

Yes, thank you, I saw those as well. For some reason I thought Tyson was strictly chicken but they process pork as well. I just always associated Smithfield with pork and Tyson with chicken.
So happy I love me some veggies :)

Dr. Anthony Fauci says a second wave of coronavirus is ‘not inevitable’

Dr. Anthony Fauci says a second wave of coronavirus is 'not inevitable'

KEY POINTS
  • A second wave of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States “could happen” but is “not inevitable,” White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said.
  • The U.S. can prevent another wave of Covid-19 as long as states reopen “correctly,” Fauci said Wednesday morning in an interview on CNN.
----------
This story cheers me up a bit on this gloomy day with rain, rain, rain moving through central NC. But--will the states reopen "correctly"? Remains to be seen...
----------
More from the article:
"Fauci said Wednesday that “the lack of efficacy” for anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, which has been touted by Trump as a game-changer against the coronavirus, is clear.

A study published Friday in medical journal The Lancet found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it.

Earlier Wednesday, France said it banned the use of the potential treatment. On Monday, the World Health Organization said it temporarily suspended its trial of hydroxycholoroquine over safety concerns."

Sorry, Dr. Fauci has lost my respect. He has changed what he has said too many times.

He would be best to not make broad sweeping proclamations about the future of the virus. Because, he really doesn't know. There are too many variables involved in this.

Sorry, Dr. Fauci has lost my respect. He has changed what he has said too many times.

He would be best to not make broad sweeping proclamations about the future of the virus. Because, he really doesn't know. There are too many variables involved in this.

Sorry to hear that. Don't you think political pressure might be a factor in what he has said over time? In any case, I have great respect for him and am glad to be offered a glimmer of hope from a top scientist.

Sorry to hear that. Don't you think political pressure might be a factor in what he has said over time? In any case, I have great respect for him and am glad to be offered a glimmer of hope from a top scientist.

When a doctor starts being political, and use their professional credentials for a political agenda, they have sold their soul. INMO.

But, my issue, is that Dr. Fauci can't say, "There won't be a second wave.". Because he really doesn't know this. How can he say that?

More Iowa news today:
As Iowa reopens for business, University of Iowa experts warn of a surge in COVID-19 cases, deaths; suggest public wear plastic face shieldsSince the virus can be transmitted throught the eyes, what does everyone think about wearing sunglasses and then proper handwashing before removing them? It might be a really bad idea, but just something I thought about.
Iowans with disabilities feel shut out of 'Test Iowa' drive-up sites
Iowa officials won't disclose coronavirus outbreaks at meatpacking plants unless media asks
Tyson tests workers for COVID-19 at Storm Lake pork processing plant employing 2,400And there it is. IMHO, I expect numbers to rise in Buena Vista county for the next couple of weeks. Unfortuantly, I'm guessing alot of their family members also have it it as well.

Australia 'has BEATEN coronavirus': Top health official says a second wave of COVID-19 is unlikely as transmission rates plunge to nearly zero - with just 30 patients in hospital nationwide

Australia 'has BEATEN coronavirus': Top health official says a second wave of COVID-19 is unlikely as transmission rates plunge to nearly zero - with just 30 patients in hospital nationwide

Charlie Coë For Daily Mail Australia
5 hrs ago
The chance of a second wave of COVID-19 in Australia this year is unlikely, according to one of the country's top health officials, as transmission rates fall to nearly zero.

New South Wales chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant told state politicians the ban on international travel and the state's grasp of social distancing meant it was well placed to stem further outbreaks of the virus and prevent a second wave.
BB14wgqQ.img

Questions about COVID-19 test accuracy raised across the testing spectrum

Questions about COVID-19 test accuracy raised across the testing spectrum

Lauren Dunn and Linda Carroll and Patrick Martin and Akshay Syal
10 hrs ago
But while no test is perfect, experts told NBC News that these particular tests — used to diagnose COVID-19 — may be missing up to 20 percent of positive cases.

One key reason behind these so-called false negatives may be how the testing samples are collected.
Most tests use a method called polymerase chain reaction or PCR. It detects coronavirus genetic material that's present when the virus is active. Clinicians typically collect a sample for testing from the back of a person's throat — where the virus is presumed to be — with a long nasopharyngeal swab.

But scientists say that collection method is ripe for error.

"You're sampling blindly. You're hoping you get the right spot. Then as the disease progresses, the virus might migrate down into your lungs," Wells said, adding that once it's in the lungs, that nasopharyngeal swab may not pick up any virus if it's already been cleared from the throat.
Another type of diagnostic test forgoes the uncomfortable swab altogether, and instead uses saliva collected in a test tube. Once the sample arrives in the lab, it's tested the same way, with PCR.
But Wells said those tests could fare even worse.

"The reason for pharyngeal swabs is the virus preferentially infects and replicates starting way back in the inner cavities of the nose and not out in front," where it may come into contact with saliva, he said, adding that saliva tests could end up missing up to 50 percent of asymptomatic positive cases.

Making things even more complicated, a May 13 study in Annals of Internal Medicine, from researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, found that test timing is also essential to getting an accurate result.

It's my understanding that to use saliva for CV testing, the PCR mechanism needs to be more sensitive - RNA is tiny.

Which would mean that we'd have to get way more of those more expensive machines to do rapid saliva testing or saliva testing at all. IMO.

Using PCR machines of the same type used for whole blood with plenty of cells, for nuclear DNA testing...well, I do doubt that saliva would work well in those. I know big hospitals have various kinds of PCR machines, including much more sensitive ones, but...those aren't nearly enough for public testing and are much needed for research into antibodies and vaccines.

Last edited:
Four Ft. Worth elemtary schools reopen for summer school.
A total of about 300 students are expected across the four locations.
Most of them are bilingual, or English as a second language students, who the district determined would benefit from a learning environment difficult to create outside of the classroom.

Hmmmmm.

Some Fort Worth ISD Students To Return To Elementary Schools Next Week

US coronavirus death toll passes 100,000, with nearly 1.7 million cases

By Paul Johnson
1 hour ago
The United States has passed 100,000 coronavirus deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University figures, representing more than 28 per cent of the global death toll from the pandemic.

This morning Johns Hopkins said the US had recorded 100,047 deaths from COVID-19.

The majority of those deaths have come in clusters on the nation's east coast, with the states of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Boston, Michigan and Pennsylvania making up over half of the death toll: New York state has recorded more than 29,000 deaths on its own.

The nation with the second-highest death toll from COVID-19 is the United Kingdom, where more than 37,500 people have died.

The US not only has more recorded deaths than any other nation, but has more confirmed cases.

At the time of writing the US had nearly 1.7 million cases, nearly four times more than that of the nearest other nation, Brazil.

5 hrs ago
The chance of a second wave of COVID-19 in Australia this year is unlikely, according to one of the country's top health officials, as transmission rates fall to nearly zero.

New South Wales chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant told state politicians the ban on international travel and the state's grasp of social distancing meant it was well placed to stem further outbreaks of the virus and prevent a second wave.
BB14wgqQ.img

Such good news. Now, with reasonable and stringent controls on travel, it could stay very low (possibly even zero).

I do wonder how both New Zealand and Australia are going to handle these issues (quarantine all incoming persons for 2 weeks seems to be the popular method in some places).

When a doctor starts being political, and use their professional credentials for a political agenda, they have sold their soul. INMO.

But, my issue, is that Dr. Fauci can't say, "There won't be a second wave.". Because he really doesn't know this. How can he say that?
Fauci did not say there would not be a second wave. See ^

5 hrs ago

BB14wgqQ.img

By Paul Johnson
1 hour ago
The United States has passed 100,000 coronavirus deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University figures, representing more than 28 per cent of the global death toll from the pandemic.

This morning Johns Hopkins said the US had recorded 100,047 deaths from COVID-19.

The majority of those deaths have come in clusters on the nation's east coast, with the states of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Boston, Michigan and Pennsylvania making up over half of the death toll: New York state has recorded more than 29,000 deaths on its own.

The nation with the second-highest death toll from COVID-19 is the United Kingdom, where more than 37,500 people have died.

The US not only has more recorded deaths than any other nation, but has more confirmed cases.

At the time of writing the US had nearly 1.7 million cases, nearly four times more than that of the nearest other nation, Brazil.

Too bad we couldn’t be like Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member