Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. Yes. I forgot to mention that last week one of my coworkers told me he only uses hand sanitizer, does not wash his hands, while at work because he doesn't trust the water. He then proceeded to lose his mind when I tried to explain why hand washing is necessary after blowing your nose or using the bathroom. Hand sanitizer does not cut it in all situations.

It's a wonder I haven't started drinking (like on the job). Or breaking bad. Or something.

Oy Vay!!!!!!

Oh, shoot. Forgot to share actual information I got on Monday. The REALM Project is the COVID testing being done on museum and library materials by OCLC and others nationally. If you recall, the first round of testing on standard books and book covers led us to believe that 3 days quarantine of library materials was sufficient. It is not. Round 2 was just completed and glossy pages, children’s board books, and magazines retain the virus for 4 days. We are now quarantining everything fof that period.

(Board books are high gloss pages covering thick cardboard. They are basically glossy cardboard kids books.)

How depressing:

July 23, 11:15 a.m. While many California officials have said the coronavirus pandemic could grip our state for another year, Santa Clara County Executive Officer Jeff Smith suggested in an interview with KPIX Wednesday night the timeline could be even longer.

Smith said because a vaccine has never been developed against the common cold or any other coronavirus, "there will never be a vaccine that will be effective."

Due to the lack of a vaccine, he said we will be "doing what is more equivalent to spot fire treatment and struggling for the next 10 years."

Watch the full interview on KPIX.

Updates: Bay Area official warns COVID-19 may be here for up to 10 years

Santa Clara County Executive Officer Jeff Smith is giving his professional opinion on this, is he?

Our county is having their fair. Major mistake IMO. People coming from all over for the horse races. We will not be going.
Wow. Mississippi Valley Fair is canceled. (Border of IL/IA.) And they've already canceled the festival of trees here. It’s a big dang deal here. People flipping out on social media because how can we already be canceling Christmas festivals. They don't seem to understand that the really major ones like these require folks to begin preparing in August.

I cannot answer that. Maybe @10ofRods can.

Wearing a mask cannot increase your viral load. A virus differs from a bacterium in that it cannot replicate outside the human body. It cannot replicate in a mask. It can catch virions that you breathe out, but you've got loads more inside your lungs if you're doing that. When the virus has just arrived in your nose or mouth or eyes (nose seems to be its easiest point of entry), it doesn't replicate very well (and in fact, your mucosal membranes and stomach acid, etc, will kill a bunch of it). But if you breathe it in through your nose or it gets into your sinuses from your eyes, then it gets into your lungs and really begins to replicate there.

There are some comments on this study that are relevant:

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review

It's a very long article, but the upshot is that you should treat a mask like a contaminated surface. The mask will trap and destabilize some virions, other virions will just sit there until you touch them, then if you touch your nose, you'll reintroduce them. The idea of a mask is that it is supposed to trap many virions in its fabric, disabling the ones you just exhaled from re-entering your lungs and joining the others to replicate. You're still infected in this scenario, but the mask isn't making it worse, it's giving a tiny bit of protection.

When you take the mask off, now you've got virions on your hands (but the mask has way more virions on it - toss it or wash it or expose it to heat/UV); wash your hands, etc. Even if you were to forget and touch your face after taking off your mask (which potentially has virions on both the inside and the outside if you're in an environment that's infected), you won't be getting tons and tons of virions on your face (I always wash my face when I wash my hands, but that's being a tiny bit paranoid).

If all is working properly your exhaled aerosols and droplets (if you cough or sneeze) stick to the mask and cannot replicate, you could breathe in a few more of the ones you just exhaled, but that would happen in any case (and you'd be infecting others).

Wearing a mask cannot increase your viral load. A virus differs from a bacterium in that it cannot replicate outside the human body. It cannot replicate in a mask. It can catch virions that you breathe out, but you've got loads more inside your lungs if you're doing that. When the virus has just arrived in your nose or mouth or eyes (nose seems to be its easiest point of entry), it doesn't replicate very well (and in fact, your mucosal membranes and stomach acid, etc, will kill a bunch of it). But if you breathe it in through your nose or it gets into your sinuses from your eyes, then it gets into your lungs and really begins to replicate there.

There are some comments on this study that are relevant:

Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review

It's a very long article, but the upshot is that you should treat a mask like a contaminated surface. The mask will trap and destabilize some virions, other virions will just sit there until you touch them, then if you touch your nose, you'll reintroduce them. The idea of a mask is that it is supposed to trap many virions in its fabric, disabling the ones you just exhaled from re-entering your lungs and joining the others to replicate. You're still infected in this scenario, but the mask isn't making it worse, it's giving a tiny bit of protection.

When you take the mask off, now you've got virions on your hands (but the mask has way more virions on it - toss it or wash it or expose it to heat/UV); wash your hands, etc. Even if you were to forget and touch your face after taking off your mask (which potentially has virions on both the inside and the outside if you're in an environment that's infected), you won't be getting tons and tons of virions on your face (I always wash my face when I wash my hands, but that's being a tiny bit paranoid).

If all is working properly your exhaled aerosols and droplets (if you cough or sneeze) stick to the mask and cannot replicate, you could breathe in a few more of the ones you just exhaled, but that would happen in any case (and you'd be infecting others).
Great answer! Thanks.

I also do more face-washing now.

I fell off the smoking wagon today. It’s work. It's the stress of working with people who are taking their mask off to eat and then instead of just damn well eating, wander about the office between bites, maybe cough a little bit. Or take their mask off to sip water and then not put it back on while speaking directly to you. Or take their mask off to sip coffee, swallow the wrong way, then proceed with a five minute coughing FIT without their mask. If we had a balcony I may have jumped off today just to freaking escape morons. My boss was responsible for much of this today. We work together in a tiny office. Thd patrons ate one thing - most in and out in fifteen minutes. It's the people I am next to for six hours that are raising my blood pressure.

I so hear you, Jane. It took me three years and a lot of Nicotine gum to be able to finally put them down. And this was in the mid 90’s...certainly not in the middle of the worst pandemic in a century. Be kind to yourself and just keep on trying. Taper down, try the gum and/or patches and just keep trying. You will get there. It’s not easy but I know you are smart and determined.

Wow. Mississippi Valley Fair is canceled. (Border of IL/IA.) And they've already canceled the festival of trees here. It’s a big dang deal here. People flipping out on social media because how can we already be canceling Christmas festivals. They don't seem to understand that the really major ones like these require folks to begin preparing in August.

Exactly why they had to cancel the Rose Parade even though it's more then 5 months away.

They just called the Opening Day game between the Nationals & Yankees. 4-1 Yankees after 5 Innings.

I know "good news" is hard to come by, and this probably doesn't count, but I have Mr Stanton on my Fantasy Baseball team...

I'm so sorry. Right now, that wagon is waiting for you and it will be there tonight and tomorrow.

I hope you are wearing both a mask and a face shield. Or if you prefer, get some ski goggles (low light ones so you can see indoors) and wear a mask and a gaiter. Will that make your point? Maybe get one of those disposable medical hats and wear that too, ha.

(It's not legal to spray your coworkers with Lysol, I figure).
May I introduce you to social distancing wings?
: )

20200724_004226.jpg
What Other Countries Can Teach The U.S. About Safely Reopening Schools

Moo

I fell off the smoking wagon today. It’s work. It's the stress of working with people who are taking their mask off to eat and then instead of just damn well eating, wander about the office between bites, maybe cough a little bit. Or take their mask off to sip water and then not put it back on while speaking directly to you. Or take their mask off to sip coffee, swallow the wrong way, then proceed with a five minute coughing FIT without their mask. If we had a balcony I may have jumped off today just to freaking escape morons. My boss was responsible for much of this today. We work together in a tiny office. Thd patrons ate one thing - most in and out in fifteen minutes. It's the people I am next to for six hours that are raising my blood pressure.

I gave up smoking last November and I have been so close to getting back on it several times but up until now have got by by the skin of my teeth. With me it is the frustration of people still denying or calling it a scam.

that's ok you'll get back on the wagon
don't be hard on yourself - you have enough stress already
most people are not able to quit the first time they try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads