Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
The United States reported a record of more than 500,000 new cases over the past week .....

The record reflects how quickly the virus is spreading. It took nearly three months for the first 500,000 coronavirus cases to be tallied in the United States ....

U.S. Reports a Record 500,000-Plus Coronavirus Cases Over the Past Week

The virus is blamed for more than 8.6 million confirmed infections and over 225,000 deaths in the US, the highest such totals anywhere in the world.

.... average deaths per day across the country are up 10 per cent over the past two weeks ....

The true number of infections is thought to be far higher because many Americans have not been tested, and studies suggest people can be infected without feeling sick.

US coronavirus deaths surpass 225,000

I think we've all read there could be up to 10x more infections, that's JMO as I'm recalling. We could be upwards of 86 million cases if that's the case. The only good thing about that is it would lower the case death rate dramatically. All JMO

This first article is incredibly important, thanks. All this death and sickness and financial and physical worry, and no real reason to think it will improve any time soon. I wonder if Amazon will be selling more sun lamps as people at least try to counteract the seasonal component of depression. The situational component is a whole other ball game.

I think about this a lot.

With a governor that is working very hard to hide and reclassify the number of cases and deaths, and all the school numbers---we have one saving grace in Florida that still keeps those numbers down (even though our positivity rate is above 10%). THE SUN.

People can still be outside in flipflops frolicking ..... it absolutely helps keep case numbers down--Covid and Depression.

He covers a simplistic assessment tool, and at 20:00 in he discussed the vaccine trial, and that the immune response did NOT differ due to age ranges. (yet, we all here know the drill that the neutralizing B cell Ab's are falling off quickly.. 1/2 life curve TBD at a later date) As to the inate T cells, we'll only know if it matches Covid #1 from 2003 much much later.

Interesting new video by Dr. Seheult discussing why convalescent plasma isn't effective for COVID as was hoped for (short answer... due to clotting agents that come with the plasma antibodies as COVID is a thrombotic disorder that not only produces an inflammatory and hypercoagulable state, but also a hypofibrinolytic state not seen with most other types of coagulopathys.)

groannnnnnnnnnnnn. Yes, we have been so hopeful about the convalescent plasma.. And the antibody hope in general....

Less to trust now.

I personally feel that we must have massive national PSA campaigns to encourage the vaccines, when and how they are distributed. I guess i agree with the president on this one, we have to hope hope hope for vaccines and therapeutics to help get us through, since common sense and civic cooperation does not seem to work.

Lots of us will be wary of the vaccines though........... seriously, we need to ramp up PSA information with facts and vaccines positive information out to people. (God forbid if the race for the vaccines by all these pharma companies or politics screw things up) Vaccine acceptance will take for-ev-er..............

Hockey Massachusetts
Changes Needed In Youth Hockey After COVID-19 Clusters, Baker Says
More at link

The Baker administration is preparing new regulations that will force Massachusetts youth hockey teams to help health experts track potential COVID-19 outbreaks, a step prompted by several teams and coaches obstructing the contact-tracing process in recent weeks, officials said Tuesday.

Indoor ice rinks must remain closed through at least Nov. 7 under a Department of Public Health order issued last week after state health regulators linked more than 100 cases of the highly infectious coronavirus to ice hockey.

During a Tuesday press conference, Gov. Charlie Baker and his health chief said their decision was prompted not only by the multiple clusters but also because some adults and coaches stymied the state's attempts to get a grasp of how far transmission spread.

"There were a number of instances where the team would not hand over the rosters of players, so you didn't even know who was playing for us to make the contact, or coaches in a couple of instances telling families and the players to not respond to the contact tracers," Health and Human Services Secretary Marylou Sudders told reporters. "Not sharing the rosters so that you can't make the phone calls is, for us, not acceptable."

Neither Baker nor Sudders identified any specific teams that refused to provide information about its players and who might have had contact with COVID-positive individuals.

On several other occasions, team leaders told players that if they were under quarantine, they could not play for their regular team but could play for other teams — a system that is "obviously not quarantine," Sudders said.

"There were a number of instances where the team would not hand over the rosters of players, so you didn't even know who was playing for us to make the contact, or coaches in a couple of instances telling families and the players to not respond to the contact tracers."
Mary Lou Sudders

A DPH investigation identified more than 30 COVID clusters linked to youth hockey, Baker said, with at least 110 confirmed cases and 22 more probable cases spread across at least 66 cities and towns.

Those numbers are likely "undercounted," Baker said, "due to the lack of cooperation" that met investigators.

Just sounds so painful.... hockey is just such a "love affair" in the whole North of this country and Canada!!!!!!
I just know kids and parents alike just live for hockey.

So even though the coaches and parents are probably breaking with the truth all over the place.... I can feel how they are coniving for the play of the game.

Will our good friends from Canada chime in here???????? Your love of Hockey is probably even higher than ours!!!! Well, I don't know that one for sure. But are your teams playing? How are your parents and kids doing??

groannnnnnnnnnnnn. Yes, we have been so hopeful about the convalescent plasma.. And the antibody hope in general....

Less to trust now.

I personally feel that we must have massive national PSA campaigns to encourage the vaccines, when and how they are distributed. I guess i agree with the president on this one, we have to hope hope hope for vaccines and therapeutics to help get us through, since common sense and civic cooperation does not seem to work.

Lots of us will be wary of the vaccines though........... seriously, we need to ramp up PSA information with facts and vaccines positive information out to people. (God forbid if the race for the vaccines by all these pharma companies or politics screw things up) Vaccine acceptance will take for-ev-er..............

It may be very very difficult to do for the masses that is for sure. Especially when the message is so different from what I believe many have. MOO

My guess is that 95-99% of the folks in the US don't realize this is actually a "blood" disease with the microclots etc. that even has in the past week had simliar characteristics of another condition that our member @ilovewings hubby has now diagnosed in these threads. (Kudos and thanks for sharing the daily struggles and symptoms and outcome with us all for our learning) :)

It took quite some time following daily Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult's videos to garner the LEARNING CURVE which is science....and the biological sequence of what is happening in this disease - which for so many folks only has created mistrust as many don't have science and critical thinking to understand this learning curve for this novel virus.

MOO

Last edited:
Ohmygosh :(
in the spring we were about what a month or so behind Europe. ?
Scary stuff right there.

My expectations (already seeing it) is that soon, more scientists will be speaking out in public.

MOO it wasn't/isn't only China docs that were/are silenced by their government

:mad::mad::mad:

I do indeed hope the message in less than a month from now from the scientists and others will be more widespread.

Last edited:
I do wonder that the international plan is when the vaccines are produced and may take months upon months to do for those that get... what the message will be for the masses in general to educate folks who even took the vaccine to wear them?

It's gonna be a cluster... how will it be done? Will it be done?

I do hope that some are thinking ahead to this quandry.

Yes...and as we posted back then....the US government was buying up all the ventilators, because they were on the same page as that early evidence that this disease appeared to be all respiratory.
Who knows what is happening to all those ventilators now!!!

We are continuing to learn very difficult facts--Long Covid will be a big issue, with coverage and costs; Antibodies may not be the hope that we have heard touted; and who knows what could happen regarding reinfection.

If we had a better and well-managed CDC and FDA of the past, there would be efforts to address all these ongoing questions. But, as we are now, i think we will continue to be behind the 8-ball instead of in front of it.

Sad but true!!!!- initially Covid looked like a respiratory virus and then came the news that it is so much more--- As you suggest, Long Covid will be a very big issue---
What is with the antibodies? it sure seemed to work for Trump

Putin orders national mask mandate in Russia as coronavirus spikes in second wave

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday ordered a nationwide mask mandate as a second wave of coronavirus cases put the country’s medical system under a severe strain.

With COVID-19 cases rising at over 15,000 a day, the country's health agency ordered all Russians to wear masks in crowded public spaces, including public transport, and in closed spaces like taxis and elevators.

Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova said hospital beds in 16 Russian regions were at more than 90% capacity.

It may be very very difficult to do for the masses that is for sure. Especially when the message is so different from what I believe many have. MOO

My guess is that 95-99% of the folks in the US don't realize this is actually a "blood" disease with the microclots etc. that even has in the past week had simliar characteristics of another condition that our member @ilovewings hubby has now diagnosed in these threads. (Kudos and thanks for sharing the daily struggles and symptoms and outcome with us all for our learning) :)

It took quite some time following daily Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult's videos to garner the LEARNING CURVE which is science....and the biological sequence of what is happening in this disease - which for so many folks only has created mistrust as many don't have science and critical thinking to understand this learning curve for this novel virus.

MOO

This is such truth. Following both Campbell and Seheult has just been so enlightening. Like, at first I just could not comprehend it all, even tried taking notes... but when you stay with it you finally realize how much more intelligent you are getting, in understanding the complexities, the "whys" and the nuances of this disease. Seheult is just fabulous with breaking it down and making it clear, which such constant peer reviewed substantiation. And Campbell makes sure was are not looking at this through the intentional fabricated AMerican selfish freedoms lens --but letting us be more educated with the different strains, the different approaches, and the different FACTS around the world.

Learning is liberating.
I love my brother to bits, to the moon and back---BUT when I begin discussion with him about Covid, he finds the more important details are that Nancy pelosi and Chris Cuomo are hypocrits!! NOW i send him some of the links that you guys have posted...and I think he IS actually learning something. He may not want to admit it---but I know he is.
Learning is liberating.

The learning curve is so dynamic regarding covid, and embracing it feels like finally understanding Algebra!!!
To KNOW more is to understand.

People COULD be learning so much, and they are not. They have been asked to dismiss the scientists and to trust that dismissal.

Putin orders national mask mandate in Russia as coronavirus spikes in second wave

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday ordered a nationwide mask mandate as a second wave of coronavirus cases put the country’s medical system under a severe strain.

With COVID-19 cases rising at over 15,000 a day, the country's health agency ordered all Russians to wear masks in crowded public spaces, including public transport, and in closed spaces like taxis and elevators.

Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova said hospital beds in 16 Russian regions were at more than 90% capacity.

Thought they had that Sputnik vaccine?? What happened with that?
Russian vaccine.jpg

It’s interesting that you quoted a post that said people in the audience are wearing masks, to make your point.

I have more faith in people. They are unique individuals, able to think for themselves.
Interesting that late last week the US had 83k confirmed cases, in one day...if the reported figures are to believed...

Kroger to offer 15-minute COVID-19 antibody tests at pharmacies | 11alive.com

The Ohio-based supermarket chain said the FDA-authorized tests will be available at all Kroger pharmacies and clinics by the end of November.

The antibody tests, supplied by Whitmire Medical, involve a finger-prick blood sample to detect antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19. The tests cost $25 and typically provide results within 15 minutes that let a person know if they've previously been infected, the company said.

Last edited:
Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m. we had 1,814 new confirmed cases for a total of 119,444 confirmed cases of which 90,422 had recovered (+1,009). 22 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,680. 113 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 596 (both new daily records). There are 29,022 active postive cases. Here are they daily age groups: 0-17: 10,538 (+175); 18-40: 53,696 (+658); 41-60: 33,040 (+551), 61-80: 17,187 (+298); & 81+: 4,954 (+131). Oct. 28: Iowa COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to spike with 1,814 new cases reported and 22 more deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Iowa monitors staffing levels as COVID-19 hospitalizations spike Governor Reynolds more concerned about staffing hospitals than the number of beds available. She hasn't had a p.c. since Oct. 7. She won't have any until after the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280