Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
UTAH

Utah shatters single-day COVID-19 record with 3,919 new cases Thursday as Gov. Herbert speaks
Utah's number of COVID-19 cases has increased by 3,919 on Thursday, with nine more deaths reported, according to the Utah Department of Health.

[...]

"We're at the breaking point and ready to have some serious repercussions," Herbert said.

The rolling seven-day average number of positive cases per day is now at 2,738, according to the health department. The positive test rate per day for that time period is now 23.2%.

[...]

Utah’s coronavirus cases up nearly 4,000 on Thursday
Utah reported a record-shattering 3,919 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, with record-high hospitalizations and the virus' deadliest single week since the pandemic began.

Between 4.5% and 5% of those cases will end up in the hospital, Gov. Gary Herbert said at a Thursday news conference. “Those numbers should be alarming to all of us,” he said, warning that the state’s hospitals could be overrun if the case numbers don’t come down.

[...]

Herbert added that he hopes a vaccine will be available in Utah in as soon as four or five weeks, and “certainly by the first of the year.” The first doses, he said, would go to first responders, health care workers and people in high-risk groups.

[...]

Screening travelers for symptoms of Covid-19 was ineffective, CDC study says

More at link
CNN) — Temperature and symptom-based screening programs don't help catch coronavirus cases, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new report that took a closer look at the programs used at US airports until mid-September.
In January, the CDC started an enhanced screening program for air passengers arriving from certain countries with widespread transmission of the novel coronavirus.

The goal was to find travelers who were sick and separate them from other passengers, to share information with travelers about self-monitoring and to get their contact information that could be shared with the passenger's local public health department.
The CDC said this was a resource-intensive program that had a low case detection rate. Between January 17 and September 13, the CDC screened more than 766,000 travelers. Nearly 300 met the criteria for public health assessment, 35 were tested for the coronavirus, and nine tested positive. That means the program identified about one case per 85,000 travelers screened, the CDC reported Thursday in the agency's weekly report.
This style of screening doesn't seem to work for a few reasons. Covid-19 has a wide range of nonspecific symptoms common to other infections, there are a high number of asymptomatic cases, travelers may deny symptoms or take steps to avoid detection and passenger data was limited.

Related content
Have Covid-19 test results, will travel

Last edited:
The Covid-19 crisis in America is so dire now, international aid workers have arrived to help.
US coronavirus: As the holidays get closer, Covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths are happening at a faster rate - CNN
Oh my word. MSF is an amazing organisation who have saved lives all over the world from disease and disaster - these are the real good guys and well worth donating to. I’m shocked and sad that they’re having to help in the US though, and scared it’ll be us next :(

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International

By the time I got to read the article, a correction had been added. Doctors Without Borders are no longer helping in the US. They worked for a few months with 'key sites' and have now moved on.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly implied Doctors Without Borders is currently working in the United States to help fight Covid-19. The aid group said it worked in key sites in the US between April and October and has since turned over its programs to local health authorities and organizations.

Margarita25 posted this in the previous thread:

After COVID Diagnosis, Nearly 1 In 5 Are Diagnosed With Mental Disorder

I did read it and was heartened that it did not refer to organic brain damage,
but mostly stress, PTSD and depression.... so possibly curable ailments. : (

I wanted to add that being in a state that had an early large caseload, and having some severe lock downs, mandatory masking in public, many restrictions, to now see community spread back and all over the country is disheartening. I am thinking what next. It was nice when our numbers state wide went down, but now it feels hopeless, IMO.

<RSBM>
As of Sunday, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education said that 23 percent of the state’s 371 school districts were fully remote. According to Baker, that is “too many.” State education officials argue that schools have not proven to be spreaders and that the safety standards — such as face covering and distancing requirements — should make it safe for students to return to physical classes in at least some form.

BBM

Oh for Pete's sake .... are they going to keep cherry-picking where the spread is coming from? Can they not see it is likely coming from everywhere at this point in time?

IMO

1)Where exactly will the money to fund businesses,wages, etc come from??
2). If restrictions are going to be tightened who will be deemed “ essential “??
Let’s be brutally honest here.... if we are going into that kind of lockdown how will people get food? Medicine? Necessary things like that?
While some may support a very strict, national lockdown
Those are some of the same people who expect their groceries delivered, pizza, takeout, and meds, truck drivers, and warehouse workers supplying stores. Those workers ,while considered essential are also humans. Are we all willing to go without all of that?

There are many examples of lockdowns out there to review.

Govt financial support is essential (yes, your country goes into debt for decades).
Essential services are grocery stores, doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, petrol stations, take-away food, transporters and producers of essential goods (food, medicine), first responders.

The payoff is that the virus is curbed and many, many lives are not lost.

So, you make a decision. What is more important? Inconvenience, debt, and saving lives. Or convenience, less debt (but still rising unemployment), and many, many lost lives.

Last edited:
Not surprised.

Passenger tests positive for coronavirus on first cruise ship to sail Caribbean

A passenger aboard the first cruise ship to set sail in the Caribbean since the start of the pandemic has tested positive for coronavirus, according to a reporter traveling on the ship.
The news came four days into the ship's seven-day voyage after it left Barbados on Saturday with 53 passengers on board. It had traveled to Saint Vincent, Canouan Island, Tobago Cays, and Union Island in the Grenadines and was scheduled to end on Nov. 14 but returned to Barbados early.
Sloan told NBC's "Today" show that the ship came up with an "incredibly rigorous system" to try and keep Covid-19 cases off the vessel. Everyone was tested before arriving in Barbados and again at the pier and received negative results.

I can understand SOME essential businesses but take away? Pizza delivery? Grocery delivery? Isn’t that agreeing things should be locked down but not wanting to be inconvenienced? Does anyone NEED pizza? Or take away? Aside from people people with health issues, or very senior do people NEED groceries delivered.
How many folks just right here HAVENT visited family, spent time with friends, or gone to church?
My point is if we are going to do a large scale lockdown I hope people are willing to give up some things. The lockdown MUST apply to everyone.

There are statistical guidelines for when you can do contact tracing and when it becomes so widespread that you cannot, though I do not know the exact numbers. They have told us that they are getting cases from youth hockey, but that they believe it is not from the hockey per se but from after-hockey pizza get togethers. I imagine (?) that they see the cases showing up in the pizza diners, but not in the whole teams.

I can understand SOME essential businesses but take away? Pizza delivery? Grocery delivery? Isn’t that agreeing things should be locked down but not wanting to be inconvenienced? Does anyone NEED pizza? Or take away? Aside from people people with health issues, or very senior do people NEED groceries delivered.
How many folks just right here HAVENT visited family, spent time with friends, or gone to church?
My point is if we are going to do a large scale lockdown I hope people are willing to give up some things. The lockdown MUST apply to everyone.

Take away food is considered an essential as it is food. Not everyone (especially exhausted doctors, nurses, first responders) has the time and energy to prepare meals.
The take away food is done as curbside pick-up. You go to the food, the food does not come to you. Then you go right home.
The take away option also helps keep restaurants/cafes in business ... so that they are there when lockdown is over ... which is something we all want. They can't work from home, like many other businesses can.

People can always nitpick at any lockdown's rules, but there are good examples out there of lockdowns that have worked.

when they initially closed down all indoor dining here, they allowed take out and delivery in part to allow restaurants to continue to have some small amount of business. Also, even in lock down, there are healthcare workers, their day care workers and police/fire/emergency services, utility and waste disposal workers who are required to keep functioning so they presumably were getting food. They also rapidly found out that not allowing IT services, phone stores, car repairs, etc., vets, caused a lot of problems.

Margarita25 posted this in the previous thread:

After COVID Diagnosis, Nearly 1 In 5 Are Diagnosed With Mental Disorder

I did read it and was heartened that it did not refer to organic brain damage,
but mostly stress, PTSD and depression.... so possibly curable ailments.

Yes, I believe the article stated that.

But Pasch says that she expects that in most cases, the post-traumatic stress symptoms of COVID-19 will subside.
"What I've been telling patients [is] it's going to be a slow and gradual improvement," she says, noting that younger patients often feel the frustration of a long recovery most acutely.

We are in Lockdown #2 in the UK, but it's more like Lockdown Lite compared to the first one in March-June. Back then the roads were quiet, the sky felt cleaner, the sun was shining, and the novelty and shock of the whole thing meant that most people took it seriously and we eventually got the death rate as low as 10 deaths per day.

This time the schools are still open and even though restaurants/pubs and non-essential shops are closed, the roads are busy and people are definitely out and about doing non-essential stuff. Yesterday, nearly 600 people died here.

It's a bit early to tell if this so-called lockdown is working as it only started a week ago, but our numbers are still climbing at an alarming rate. I think lockdown fatigue is real over here, and I'm not sure how well it'll work in the US this far down the line either. With everything that's going on over there I fear half the population just aren't going to listen properly.

I am in no way saying lockdowns don’t work. What I am saying is if people are FOR lockdowns then they MUST be willing to forfeit certain things.
EXCEPT for those in high risk groups everyone should be willing to get their own groceries and come right home, hang out with ONLY those you live with, forgo gatherings, and abstain from attending church. We can’t have it both ways.

I am in no way saying lockdowns don’t work. What I am saying is if people are FOR lockdowns then they MUST be willing to forfeit certain things.
EXCEPT for those in high risk groups everyone should be willing to get their own groceries and come right home, hang out with ONLY those you live with, forgo gatherings, and abstain from attending church. We can’t have it both ways.

Exactly. Everyone must be compliant, and it must be enforced (with warnings and then fines).

When there are a lot of cars out on the road, it becomes obvious who is non-compliant. The police need to be active in ensuring enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member