Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack said to Rose "The ship is gonna suck us down. Take a deep breath when I say it. Keep looking for the surface. Keep kicking..."

I feel like we are at that moment. Unimaginable tragedy awaits us all shortly. Too many people are not heeding the warnings. For Titanic, help arrived too late. Too many lives were lost already.:(

Wow. Chilling. The perfect quote. And tragically true. We are at that moment. :( All we can do is keep kicking...

Regeneron was just approved on Saturday 11/21/2018 in the USA for emergency treatment,

FDA authorizes use of Regeneron's antibody cocktail given to Trump to treat Covid-19 - CNN

This is my most concerning issue:

"Unlike some other drugs used for Covid-19, the antibody cocktail is meant to be given early in infection, before patients are hospitalized or require oxygen therapy. The drug should be given as soon as possible after a positive viral test, according to the FDA."

You also have to be over 12, have a high BMI, age risk or underlying condition that makes you high risk.

In Ohio, we are NOT getting the test results for 5 - 7 days. A patient would most likely be in the hospital (in Ohio) before we knew if we are positive or not. At that point, we wouldn't qualify for the treatment.

I had a family friend that died in less than a week. We have a church friend that went into the hospital last night and she certainly didn't know about her diagnosis last week.

My healthy son and DIL survived this last week but went downhill (he did) on Day 5.

America is about to change administrations and no one knows whether the FDA will decide that it can't be administered in the USA.

I am not blaming anyone at all. I am just very concerned.

Our church friend will 'most likely' die from this but she can't get the drug because the diagnosis just came back.

Biden says the Trump White House won't give him COVID stockpile information. Here it is.

President-elect Joe Biden blasted the Trump administration Wednesday for refusing to share information needed to help his incoming team battle the coronavirus pandemic, including data on supplies in the national stockpile.

“We’ve been unable to get access to the kinds of things we need to know about the depths of the stockpiles,” he said during a roundtable with frontline health workers. “We know there’s not much at all.”

A copy of those stockpile numbers — dated Nov. 16 — was provided to Yahoo News, which is publishing them. The numbers appear to show progress in some areas, such as in the stockpile of N95 respirators and ventilators, but also makes clear that earlier Trump administration promises to bolster the stockpile have fallen short.

Strategic National Stockpile

e39860c0-29f6-11eb-b792-725b33529d81

Senior Leadership Brief Covid-19
Critical Supply Inventory

Last edited:
Biden says the Trump White House won't give him COVID stockpile information. Here it is.

President-elect Joe Biden blasted the Trump administration Wednesday for refusing to share information needed to help his incoming team battle the coronavirus pandemic, including data on supplies in the national stockpile.

“We’ve been unable to get access to the kinds of things we need to know about the depths of the stockpiles,” he said during a roundtable with frontline health workers. “We know there’s not much at all.”

A copy of those stockpile numbers — dated Nov. 16 — was provided to Yahoo News, which is publishing them. The numbers appear to show progress in some areas, such as in the stockpile of N95 respirators and ventilators, but also makes clear that earlier Trump administration promises to bolster the stockpile have fallen short.

The Ohio Dr's do not have the 'kits' to be able to do the tests so they have to send them out for 5 - 7 days waiting time.

The Contact Tracer couldn't call my son for a week (which made it pointless).

Reporting again from Oregon and Jackson County where I live.

1509 new cases, a new record for the second day in a row, and 7 deaths...4 of them in Jackson County.

These figures bring the state total of cases to 63,668, and
reflect an accelerating spread of the virus across the state. The death toll is 819 as of 12:01 am Nov. 21.

The new confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases reported today are in the following counties: Baker (9), Benton (22), Clackamas (122), Clatsop (5), Columbia (10), Coos (6), Crook (3), Curry (4), Deschutes (35), Douglas (37), Grant (11), Harney (3), Hood River (6), Jackson (63), Jefferson (8), Josephine (16), Klamath (20), Lake (7), Lane (87), Lincoln (4), Linn (45), Malheur (27), Marion (124), Morrow (10), Multnomah (414), Polk (42), Umatilla (40), Union (31), Wasco (14), Washington (223), Wheeler (1), and Yamhill (60).

Personal note: Jackson County still leads the other southern Oregon counties by a lot, only passed up by the more urban counties in northern Oregon, but these very rural counties in our area like Josephine, Klamath and Lake are beginning to increase, little by little. This is how it started for us.

I will list the individual deaths again. I think it’s important that this message from the state makes sure we know that these are real people with family and friends who grieve their loss. And health care workers who do too. So far, I don’t know anyone who has tested positive or who has died, but it’s only a matter of time, I’m afraid. We are in our mid-70’s and have busy, active friends in their mid 80’s, and to us they aren’t old, even though by Covid standards they are.

Oregon’s 813th COVID-19 death is a 76-year-old man in Douglas County who tested positive on Oct. 29 and died on Nov. 19, at Mercy Medical Center. He had underlying conditions.

Oregon’s 814th COVID-19 death is an 84-year-old man in Jackson County who tested positive on Oct. 24 and died on Nov. 13. Location of death is being confirmed. He had underlying conditions.

Oregon’s 815th COVID-19 death is a 75-year-old woman in Columbia County who tested positive on Oct. 23 and died on Nov. 19, at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. She had underlying conditions.

Oregon’s 816th COVID-19 death is a 77-year-old woman in Jackson County who tested positive on Nov. 9 and died on Nov. 19, at her residence. She had underlying conditions.

Oregon’s 817th COVID-19 death is an 83-year-old man in Jackson County who tested positive on Nov. 10 and died on Nov. 20, at his residence. Presence of underlying conditions is being confirmed.

Oregon’s 818th COVID-19 death is an 86-year-old man in Washington County who tested positive on Nov. 2 and died on Nov. 19, at his residence. He had underlying conditions.

Oregon’s 819th COVID-19 death is an 85-year-old woman in Jackson County who tested positive on Nov. 12 and died on Nov. 20, at her residence. She had underlying conditions.

See the news release for total cases, deaths and negative tests by county.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/ORDHS/bulletins/2adba4e

Funnily enough, I live way over here and I know a few people in TX who have had covid. I only know because their family member (who lives elsewhere) has told me.
"It is no big deal" is what they say. They didn't tell anyone else they had it, just kept living their daily lives - except for the couple of days that they felt unwell. Didn't wear a mask. Sent the kids to school. The kids didn't get tested. Nobody got tested, except the symptomatic people.
They live in a nice suburb of Houston. I imagine they all contributed to the spread.
Holy moly. I have no clue how you would pull that off here with the health department being informed of all positive test results. I suppose you could outright lie to the doctor, health department, and contact tracers about enrollment/attendance at school? I have no idea how that would even work... but I guarantee if a confirmed positive attended a public school and spread covid, that would end up all over the newspapers.

I would also be astounded if a middle or high schooler miraculously managed to not inform social media of testing positive before they ever left the doctor’s office. I swear half the world knew that my college aged daughter tested positive before we got home from urgent care (ironically, she’s my one child who is 100% online this semester...).

The Ohio Dr's do not have the 'kits' to be able to do the tests so they have to send them out for 5 - 7 days waiting time.

Outrageous :mad: and after all this time! I expect supplies will improve under a whole new administration, but the tests don't help when they are just sitting there in the "stockpile" need to move them to the Dr's and Hospitals where needed (Ohio) ASAP.

Last edited:
BBM

Outrageous. And after all this time. I expect supplies will improve under a whole new administration, but the tests don't help when they are just sitting there, need to move them to the Dr's and Hospitals where needed ASAP.

I don't think they are here or on the federal level. They are always missing the swab or solution or something. Our governor has had OHP drive supplies etc from airports to different locations in Ohio.

This is crazy to me how supplies are so different in different areas. Our facility receives enough rapid tests to test all staff once a week, and ending to test all staff twice a week once the positivity rate is 10%+. We also received a machine that does rapid tests with boxes and boxes of test kits. We can send out PCR swabs and get results 12-36 hours later, with about 18-24 hours being most common.

Personally, since the beginning of July, we haven’t had a single issue getting tested. I honestly couldn’t tell you how many times we’ve all been tested other than to say... a lot. One of the five of us has had it so far. I had both of my in-person-school-attending kiddos tested three times during that fiasco. Once at 5 days, again at 10 days, and once more at 14 days immediately prior to leaving quarantine. I was tested numerous times during that time period as well. If I wanted a rapid test, there are 3 or 4 clinics open 24/7 that could do a rapid test within 4-6 hours. If I wanted a PCR test, those clinics aren’t open 24/7, so I would have to go between 7am and 11pm I think, and I’ve seen those clinics full for same day appointments a few times, so it could be next day for testing if you want PCR. Even those without insurance can be seen at the PCR clinics using CARES act money.

Edited to add: my dorm-living college child in another major metro Texas city has been tested 3 times this semester within a matter of a couple of hours at urgent care clinics there, including PCR follow up swab with results the next day on one occasion (I think we were all shocked the rapid test was negative, but PCR was also negative). The college campus health clinic also has readily available rapid tests but is only open Monday through Friday normal business hours. They randomly test students and faculty and have had one instance so far with several positives in a few days period. They went all online for about a week, tested a ton of folks, and re-opened when no other positives came up.

Testing just really hasn’t been an issue here for many months.

Last edited:
I don't think they are here or on the federal level. They are always missing the swab or solution or something. Our governor has had OHP drive supplies etc from airports to different locations in Ohio.

The Biden Plan to Rebuild U.S. Supply Chains and Ensure the U.s. Does Not Face Future Shortages of Critical Equipment
  • Use the full power of the federal government to rebuild U.S. domestic manufacturing capacity of our supply chains for critical products.
  • Implement a comprehensive approach to ensure the U.S. has the critical supplies it needs for future crises and its national security
  • Work with allies to protect their supply chains and to open new markets to U.S. exports.
Use the Defense Production Act (DPA) to put Americans to work manufacturing critical products, including those immediately needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic

Use the Defense Production Act (DPA) to put Americans to work manufacturing critical products, including those immediately needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DPA grants the President broad authority to mobilize the domestic industrial base toward emergency preparedness.

The Trump administration is still dragging its feet on using the DPA to produce urgently-needed supplies to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, and has fallen far short of the domestic mobilization we need. For example, months into the crisis we still face a shortage of N95 masks.

By contrast, Biden will use the DPA to direct U.S. companies to ramp up production of critical products that will be needed over the near-term. He will also use the 100-day review process to determine the best way forward over the mid- and long-term.

This is crazy to me how supplies are so different in different areas. Our facility receives enough rapid tests to test all staff once a week, and ending to test all staff twice a week once the positivity rate is 10%+. We also received a machine that does rapid tests with boxes and boxes of test kits. We can send out PCR swabs and get results 12-36 hours later, with about 18-24 hours being most common.

Personally, since the beginning of July, we haven’t had a single issue getting tested. I honestly couldn’t tell you how many times we’ve all been tested other than to say... a lot. One of the five of us has had it so far. I had both of my in-person-school-attending kiddos tested three times during that fiasco. Once at 5 days, again at 10 days, and once more at 14 days immediately prior to leaving quarantine. I was tested numerous times during that time period as well. If I wanted a rapid test, there are 3 or 4 clinics open 24/7 that could do a rapid test within 4-6 hours. If I wanted a PCR test, those clinics aren’t open 24/7, so I would have to go between 7am and 11pm I think, and I’ve seen those clinics full for same day appointments a few times, so it could be next day for testing if you want PCR. Even those without insurance can be seen at the PCR clinics using CARES act money.

Testing just really hasn’t been an issue here for many months.

You are very lucky.

On Tuesday, our Governor couldn't give us the 'real' daily count because there were 12000 rapid tests sitting out there. He did not want those numbers added into Ohio's positive cases until the Health Dept called all 12000 people and investigated the circumstances. If you look at Ohio's numbers right now, they say they aren't current.

He is giving 3 very large school districts next to me the rapid tests to see how it works (announced last week I think).

I think our governor is hesitant about the rapid test because he received a false positive and made the national news.

We should have testing too. It would have been nice to know if we could have been around our grandchild.

Holy moly. I have no clue how you would pull that off here with the health department being informed of all positive test results. I suppose you could outright lie to the doctor, health department, and contact tracers about enrollment/attendance at school? I have no idea how that would even work... but I guarantee if a confirmed positive attended a public school and spread covid, that would end up all over the newspapers.

I would also be astounded if a middle or high schooler miraculously managed to not inform social media of testing positive before they ever left the doctor’s office. I swear half the world knew that my college aged daughter tested positive before we got home from urgent care (ironically, she’s my one child who is 100% online this semester...).

I believe fully that a couple I know and were symptomatic did not go in for a test so they would miss little work etc. I am 99.99% certain that they knowingly gave it to my child and their own. They wanted to hide it for financial reasons.

I believe fully that a couple I know and were symptomatic did not go in for a test so they would miss little work etc. I am 99.99% certain that they knowingly gave it to my child and their own. They wanted to hide it for financial reasons.
:mad: This would enrage me. Hoping your family make full recovery soon.

IIRC there was an article somewhere about the N95 masks in the stockpile. They didn't fit most/many female staff. Too big for their small faces. So the N95s were just sitting there because no-one could use them.

I was shocked that the whole family wasn't going to get tested or isolate, as we would here. The family kept the newborn grandchild away from the first source for about a week, and then I saw pics of her holding the baby after that, as well as babysitting the 3 year old.
Her own middle school child went to school. Dad went to work.

It was very irresponsible behaviour. No repercussions. No-one knew.

Just to add ... you would think they are 'bad' people. They are not what anyone would think of as bad. They are highly Christian, have a beautiful home, swimming pool, he has a good job, she was a nurse .. but stays home to take care of the kids now.

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

My first experience with the virus was from a couple on a cruise and they posted everyday from Japan. The man showed how to do lung exercises and I still do them. My child was sick last week and I explained to my child that he had to do these exercises. I watched this couple for a month and it made me feel better about the whole virus thing.

I was shocked that the whole family wasn't going to get tested or isolate, as we would here. The family kept the newborn grandchild away from the first source for about a week, and then I saw pics of her holding the baby after that, as well as babysitting the 3 year old.
Her own middle school child went to school. Dad went to work.

It was very irresponsible behaviour. No repercussions. No-one knew.

It's so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member