Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy to me how supplies are so different in different areas. Our facility receives enough rapid tests to test all staff once a week, and ending to test all staff twice a week once the positivity rate is 10%+. We also received a machine that does rapid tests with boxes and boxes of test kits. We can send out PCR swabs and get results 12-36 hours later, with about 18-24 hours being most common.

Personally, since the beginning of July, we haven’t had a single issue getting tested. I honestly couldn’t tell you how many times we’ve all been tested other than to say... a lot. One of the five of us has had it so far. I had both of my in-person-school-attending kiddos tested three times during that fiasco. Once at 5 days, again at 10 days, and once more at 14 days immediately prior to leaving quarantine. I was tested numerous times during that time period as well. If I wanted a rapid test, there are 3 or 4 clinics open 24/7 that could do a rapid test within 4-6 hours. If I wanted a PCR test, those clinics aren’t open 24/7, so I would have to go between 7am and 11pm I think, and I’ve seen those clinics full for same day appointments a few times, so it could be next day for testing if you want PCR. Even those without insurance can be seen at the PCR clinics using CARES act money.

Edited to add: my dorm-living college child in another major metro Texas city has been tested 3 times this semester within a matter of a couple of hours at urgent care clinics there, including PCR follow up swab with results the next day on one occasion (I think we were all shocked the rapid test was negative, but PCR was also negative). The college campus health clinic also has readily available rapid tests but is only open Monday through Friday normal business hours. They randomly test students and faculty and have had one instance so far with several positives in a few days period. They went all online for about a week, tested a ton of folks, and re-opened when no other positives came up.

Testing just really hasn’t been an issue here for many months.

And all this activity is going on in Texas??? Why would you be having no problem getting supplies and testing, but Ohio does?

I feel that people have been quite positive about the job DeWine is doing in Ohio?

I have a question: does anyone know how long it would take a vaccine for this virus to become effective. I have never had any vaccine so I don't know if this particular vaccine would act like, for example, the flu vaccine as far as how long it takes to become effective.

This vaccine will require two doses about a month apart, IIRC. So not really like the flu vaccine. IMO

Regeneron was just approved on Saturday 11/21/2018 in the USA for emergency treatment,

FDA authorizes use of Regeneron's antibody cocktail given to Trump to treat Covid-19 - CNN

This is my most concerning issue:

"Unlike some other drugs used for Covid-19, the antibody cocktail is meant to be given early in infection, before patients are hospitalized or require oxygen therapy. The drug should be given as soon as possible after a positive viral test, according to the FDA."

You also have to be over 12, have a high BMI, age risk or underlying condition that makes you high risk.

In Ohio, we are NOT getting the test results for 5 - 7 days. A patient would most likely be in the hospital (in Ohio) before we knew if we are positive or not. At that point, we wouldn't qualify for the treatment.

I had a family friend that died in less than a week. We have a church friend that went into the hospital last night and she certainly didn't know about her diagnosis last week.

My healthy son and DIL survived this last week but went downhill (he did) on Day 5.

America is about to change administrations and no one knows whether the FDA will decide that it can't be administered in the USA.

I am not blaming anyone at all. I am just very concerned.

Our church friend will 'most likely' die from this but she can't get the drug because the diagnosis just came back.

Each of your sentences just made me more and more sad.............
I think a large part of the US population is just doing anything to "avoid" knowing these things.............
How they can say it is just the flu....just baffles me.

We have a long way, before we are going to know why some get such severe cases, others moderate, mild, asymptomatic........ there are some molecular secrets out there... we are learning soooo much, but we have such a long way to go....

BBM: I had the same reaction to OhioBlues' post... and to many of today's posts on this thread.

rsbm
My first experience with the virus was from a couple on a cruise and they posted everyday from Japan. The man showed how to do lung exercises and I still do them. My child was sick last week and I explained to my child that he had to do these exercises. I watched this couple for a month and it made me feel better about the whole virus thing.

Hi, yes we followed Diamond Dave and Sally Abel closely here on the forum also and we are so glad they made it through their hospitalizations okay. Dave was a hoot, eh? Lovely couple.

(@dixiegirl1035 , @JerseyGirl)

And all this activity is going on in Texas??? Why would you be having no problem getting supplies and testing, but Ohio does?

I feel that people have been quite positive about the job DeWine is doing in Ohio?
Depends on which city/county in Texas.
Probably like any other state - things can vary widely from county to county.
Harris County (Houston) is very different than the counties that it shares a border.

Covid-19: Christmas get-together plan backed by UK nations

Tricky this. So on the one hand, if UK tier regs are lifted to allow 5 days of household mixing it's brilliant because it means my 23 year old son can come home for Christmas. He's currently lockdown elsewhere.

It also means we can get together with my parents, but we won't be doing that. The responsibility of keeping them safe, after they have spent 8 months at this point shut away in their house, it's too immense.

A friend said to me this week that she's worried it may be her dad's last Christmas... But if her school age kid unknowingly passes Covid on, she may end up causing his last Christmas! Awful thought.

The > 90%-95% effectiveness for both were 7 days iirc after the second dosage... for which one vaccine was 21 days after first dose and 28 days after second IIRC

To my knowledge, the information hasn't been released as to what the levels were interim as IIRC they only collected blood samples when they went to get the second dosage... not during.

Early studies showed that IgM were good in 5 days, and IgG were good at <9-10 with natural infections (and these vaccines are creating a MUCH higher antibody/immune response).. but that would take too much digging to find, sorry. Perhaps someone else can find.

Does this mean the vaccine does not become effective against the virus until the second vaccine is given?

Covid-19: Christmas get-together plan backed by UK nations

Tricky this. So on the one hand, if UK tier regs are lifted to allow 5 days of household mixing it's brilliant because it means my 23 year old son can come home for Christmas. He's currently lockdown elsewhere.

It also means we can get together with my parents, but we won't be doing that. The responsibility of keeping them safe, after they have spent 8 months at this point shut away in their house, it's too immense.

A friend said to me this week that she's worried it may be her dad's last Christmas... But if her school age kid unknowingly passes Covid on, she may end up causing his last Christmas! Awful thought.

BBM - This is our dilemma as well for both parents as we have seen a dramatic decrease of their physical and mental state since March.
Doctors told us at the beginning of this year to do all we could with family members to keep them engaged in life, take little road trips, take them out to eat at favorite restaurants, etc.
It’s heartbreaking to hear them say “Maybe it will be better in _(month)__ and family can come see us.”

Do you still have the link to those exercises? It might be wise for the rest of us to be doing them.
Hi, yes we followed Diamond Dave and Sally Abel closely here on the forum also and we are so glad they made it through their hospitalizations okay. Dave was a hoot, eh? Lovely couple. (@dixiegirl1035 , @JerseyGirl)

@doublestop, I'm not @OhioBlues, but here ya go

Not sure if I am allowed to post his YouTube of it (he's not MSM/TOS issue?).. but google for his ORIGINAL these words on YouTube from March 31
"EFT (Tapping) and Constricted Breathing with David Abel. Emotional Freedom Technique"

and he did an updated one at May 16th he posted by searching on YouTube these words for the REAL David Abel channel
"Expand Your Lungs. Virus, Pneumonia, COPD, Asthma

HTH

BBM - This is our dilemma as well for both parents as we have seen a dramatic decrease of their physical and mental state since March.
Doctors told us at the beginning of this year to do all we could with family members to keep them engaged in life, take little road trips, take them out to eat at favorite restaurants, etc.
It’s heartbreaking to hear them say “Maybe it will be better in _(month)__ and family can come see us.”
Absolutely agree with you, it is heartbreaking :(

When I lived there, it seemed to have equal importance.
Both days of large family/friend gatherings, big turkey dinner, lots of sitting around together - watching football on Thanksgiving, opening gifts at Christmas.
IMO Christmas is a bigger deal, but more people travel to join family on Thanksgiving. There are no presents to pack and many families with children prefer to celebrate Christmas morning (and Santa’s gifts) at home under their own Christmas tree.

JMO.

Coronavirus terrified this doctor when it stole his ability to breathe - CNN

“He had to let patients know when it was time to say their final goodbyes to their families.

"The hard thing is having to be the person that talks to the patient with Covid, who says, 'You know what? It's time to call your wife. We are going to have to put a breathing tube down and it's time for you to say goodbye,'" Burkard said.
It was a message the emergency room physician had to deliver again and again as the pandemic stretched through summer and into the shorter days of fall.“

[...]

“He ran five days a week, played and coached volleyball, ate a healthy diet and had no major underlying conditions. If he did get infected, he thought, he'd be fine.

"I actually, at one point, thought, 'I want to just get the virus and get it over with,'" he told CNN. "I thought there was no real chance of me having to be hospitalized. I'm a healthy young man."

'I just could not breathe'“

[...]

"”I've had a lot of people say ... I'm a hoax. I had someone report me to Facebook for being a fake profile," he said.
He hopes that some people will think twice about his experience.

"Instead of just saying mean things from behind the keyboard, imagine what it's like to have that conversation with someone that you were putting a breathing tube down their throat, and they might not be able to say 'I love you' to their loved one again," he said.“

We are just waking up to Monday here, and our state of Victoria is very happy.
Their border is just opening today (not with all states), and loads of flights are scheduled to come in - many happy reunions.
And Melbourne's mask mandate has been eased a bit. They don't have to wear them 100% of the time, only in certain situations.
They have certainly put in the hard yard after 3 months of lockdown, and then another month of extreme caution. It is lovely to see them so happy.

Testing varies with each county. Friends in my county got results in 2 days, my nephew in another county got results in 2 days, and my grandson in another county had to wait for 6 days. My DIL and another grandson were just tested today and they have a 3-6 day wait for results.

Cuomo COVID live update now ongoing

You know, this guy speaks the truth about this pandemic. He and his city have learned some really hard lessons, and now they have got the program straight.

I just said to a NY state friend of mine yesterday, it is okay to not like some of his policies, and it is also okay to listen to what he says about keeping safe during this pandemic and support those efforts.

I was shocked (yep, lots of shocking me is going on) to learn that a 7,000 person wedding went on in secret in NY earlier this month, defying his recommendations and rules.

Secret plans helped Brooklyn synagogue defy Cuomo to pull off 7,000-person maskless wedding | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member