Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emergence of SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 Lineage ...
Jan. 15, 2021

-

Also, in Dr. O’s latest podcast, he discusses the two B117s: Kent & Bristol.

* he also points out that if we look at Europe and the Middle East wrt to the increasing numbers due to B117, we can see what is coming.

* we’ve already learned here the importance of watching other countries.

Last edited:
Covid-19 Vaccine

• In Phase 1B, COVID-19 vaccines are available to Montanans 70 years of age and older, 16 to 69 years of age with a high-risk medical condition, and American Indians and other persons of color who may be at elevated risk for COVID-19 complications.

My state does not make that distinction for POC. I did notice, however, that they recently added Type 1 diabetes as a qualifying condition, which was not on the list when I applied to be put on the waiting list.

Each state seems to be making their own criteria for inclusion.

Study Shows Young COVID Survivors Can Get Reinfected
4 Feb 2021
Study Shows Young COVID Survivors Can Get Reinfected (medicinenet.com)

The finding stems from tracking nearly 3,250 young U.S. Marine recruits between May and October. Of those, 189 had previously tested positive for the SAR-CoV-2 virus. During the six-week study itself, 10% of those who had tested positive got reinfected.

"You don't have a get-out-of-jail-free card just because you have antibodies from a previous infection," said study author Dr. Stuart Sealfon.

He's a professor of neurology at Icahn School of Medicine atMount Sinai in New York City, which conducted the study in collaboration with the Naval Medical Research Center.

The findings were recently published in the preprint server medRXiv and have not been peer-reviewed.

All the Marines were beginning basic training and were initially held in Navy quarantine for two weeks, after two weeks of at-home quarantine, according to the study. Once training began, recruits were tested for COVID-19 every two weeks over a six-week period.

The result: 19 of the 189 recruits who already had COVID tested positive for a second infection during the study.

Researchers said first- and second- infections involved the same strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and none involved the new, more transmissible U.K., South African or Brazilian strains that have raised alarm in recent weeks.

So that is about 10% reinfections.
It is interesting to keep an eye on what the reinfection rate is (or could be).
Seems to be similar to the level of immunity given by the vaccines - judging by this small sample.

I've said a few times here (I think here?) that if your glasses fog up, that means that the mask you are wearing is not tight to the bridge of the nose. NO filter there and fogs up glasses.

Could it be that SOME folks that wear glasses ALSO have more push to the bridge to seal up that space that I see almost everyone with cloth masks have?

Folks say again and again I was wearing a mask, but unless fitted to the bridge of nose.. it's not filtering much at all?

Yes, if you don't get a tight seal around the nose, your glasses fog up. In the OR, some people will use a bandaid to tighten the seal if they don't have a access to N95 masks.

I think a lot of people *think* they are very careful. They always wear a mask when they go out, they wash their hands, etc. But many of these same people will still get together with family members outside of their household over the holidays, or will take part in the occasional not so careful behavior that may be forgotten when asked how they could have gotten infected. They may not even have realized that they touched their eyes, nose, or mouth that one time when they didn't have sanitizer or the opportunity to wash their hands.

I read yesterday that it may not be the glasses themselves that are protective as much as the fact that people wearing glasses are far less likely to touch their eyes. We still have a lot to learn about this virus.

Yes, if you don't get a tight seal around the nose, your glasses fog up. In the OR, some people will use a bandaid to tighten the seal if they don't have a access to N95 masks.

I think a lot of people *think* they are very careful. They always wear a mask when they go out, they wash their hands, etc. But many of these same people will still get together with family members outside of their household over the holidays, or will take part in the occasional not so careful behavior that may be forgotten when asked how they could have gotten infected. They may not even have realized that they touched their eyes, nose, or mouth that one time when they didn't have sanitizer or the opportunity to wash their hands.

I read yesterday that it may not be the glasses themselves that are protective as much as the fact that people wearing glasses are far less likely to touch their eyes. We still have a lot to learn about this virus.

Yes. We do have a lot to learn about this virus. I really think that society has changed, in our new "Covid" world.

I am pretty sure that the best plan is to stay away from people, be socially distant, wear masks, keep your "Pod" small.

Everyone in Summerside, P.E.I., aged 14 to 29 urged to get tested for COVID-19

Everyone from age 14 to 29 in the city of Summerside, P.E.I., is being urged to get tested immediately for COVID-19, whether or not they have any symptoms.

The news came as Islanders got an update on a worrisome new cluster of three COVID-19 cases in the Summerside area from P.E.I. Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Heather Morrison.

"We certainly have concerns about possible community spread in P.E.I., this is why we are focused on increased testing," Morrison said Friday, during a rare second briefing for the day.

"I am worried."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prin...6gEg8ZZxSi_lmbQZA1DEpkmcGNbwnQ27hSGrX7eV5O0_M

Last edited:
'
tenor.gif

I’m actually enjoying virtual yoga classes and also video recorded workouts from my gym. It’s convenient to only have to chose which room in the house I want to participate from. :)

Yeah, I tried the yoga at home. It didn't work for me. I can't focus. Then, someone wants breakfast, or coffee, or...the dog comes over, the cat jumps on me...I do better having to keep up with the other people in class, I am very competitive that way.

I miss it so much.

Yeah, I tried the yoga at home. It didn't work for me. I can't focus. Then, someone wants breakfast, or coffee, or...the dog comes over, the cat jumps on me...I do better having to keep up with the other people in class, I am very competitive that way.

I miss it so much.
I understand. I miss parts of that as well. But most of my classes are live and we all can see each other (even though in tiny boxes at the top of the screen) and can chat with each other before and a bit after the session. We do mute ourselves for that reason. Some attendees are from other parts of the country even, and that would never happen in studio. Even you could sign in for a class. Also, there is a settling in time at the beginning and meditation at the end, with helps a lot with focus.

My cats often visit and hang out with me on or around the mat, but ironically, some of the instructors also have their cats in the room. It's kind of cool. My husband is the only other person in the house, however, so no human interrupts me. I even did some classes on my screened porch mornings and evenings last summer. At the beginning of the pandemic, the studio was offering classes for free. Now we're back to paying, and happy her business has survived. It does help that these instructors are people I have taken classes with in studio as well.

For yoga, learning it's not about competition, and to feel comfort in what I can do for myself, not based on keeping up with possibly more advanced students in the class, is priceless.

Maybe it could work for you too. Good luck.

62 Minnesota patients received improperly mixed COVID vaccine | kare11.com
It’s something the CDC on their website explicitly says not to do.

More than five dozen people were injected with improperly mixed COVID vaccines at a Mankato Hy-Vee. It happened when pharmacy staff incorrectly used Pfizer vaccine mixed with sterile water rather than the special saline solution provided by the drug maker.
Among the 62 patients injected was Greg Brown of Champlin. His son had gotten him theo he drove the hour and a half on Tuesday, eager to get his shot.That sense of relief was shattered later that night when he received a call from Hy-Vee.
“At 7:45 a representative from Hy-Vee called me and said we had a mix-up,” he said.
A Hy-Vee spokesperson confirms to KARE 11 that two pharmacy staff members used vaccine that had been mixed with sterile water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea