Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I haven't been here for a long while.
We are doing much better here in L.A. County now than the nightmarish Dec 20/Jan 21.

I received my second dose of Moderna on May 3. From the evening of May 3 to May 4th all day and night, I suffered through high fever (101.3 - 101.7), headache, extreme fatigue, and of course sore arm. I feel normal today May 6. I also experienced joint pain on my wrists and hands about a week after the first dose, was unable to make a fist without pain and both hands were swollen that I had to take my ring off. It lasted for 2 full days and scared me enough to consider not getting the second shot but my doctor (and my family) convinced me to get it done, which I did an am so glad I did.

New Study Estimates More Than 900,000 People Have Died Of COVID-19 In U.S.

A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.
Welcome back pocketaccent! Congrats on your vaccination!

Re: the above article from NPR, wow! Thanks for posting.

On some recent days, entire states, including Wisconsin and West Virginia, have reported zero new coronavirus deaths

Americans have entered a new, hopeful phase of the pandemic

“We’re clearly turning the corner,” said Michael Osterholm

The nation is recording about 49,000 new cases a day, the lowest number since early October

Hospitalizations have plateaued at around 40,000, a similar level as the early fall

Deaths are hovering around 700 a day, down from a peak of more than 3,000 in January

More than half of American adults — 148 million people — have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine

‘Turning the corner’: U.S. COVID outlook reaches most hopeful point yet - The Economic Times

The US, France, Italy have backed a plan to waive the patents on covid vaccines, so anyone can make them ... and we can potentially get vaccines produced faster and get them to the whole world.

But Germany (the home of Pfizer-BioNTech) is balking at the idea.

Covid: Germany rejects US-backed proposal to waive vaccine patents

Last edited:
"Excelsior Pass supports a safe reopening of New York by providing a free, fast and secure way to present digital proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test results. ...

You can store your Pass digitally on your smartphone with the Excelsior Pass Wallet app...You can also print your Pass from the Excelsior Pass website and bring it with you.

Businesses and venues can scan and validate your pass to ensure you meet any COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirements for entry. Along with your Pass, you’ll be asked to show a photo ID that shows your name and birth date to verify that the Pass belongs to you. Adults may hold passes for accompanying minors....

Participation in Excelsior Pass is voluntary. New Yorkers can always show alternate proof of vaccination or testing, like another mobile application or paper form, directly at a business or venue."

Excelsior Pass
This is very scary.

I think it's the way forward one way or another though and is going to be widespread across the western world soon enough.

I'm curious how travel and leisure will be for those who havent had the vaccine if so. I imagine they will just go to places without enforcements.

International travel is definitely looking at vaccine passports.

I think, in time, situations where people might spread the virus are going to become difficult for unvaccinated people.

Eager to travel abroad? Bring your COVID-19 vaccine passport
Vaccine passports the 'next step', says Scott Morrison

I have already determined that I will not be traveling in the future to any other country. It’s sad but I simply cannot give up my freedom for a luxury.
And going to a ballgame is a luxury too. If you don't want to participate in a voluntary program like the one in NY that shows proof of immunization or immunity, you don't have to give up your freedom to participate. It's not necessary for people to go to events and everyone is free to stay away.

I honestly think it will be a short-lived program, lasting only until we get higher vax rates.

jmo

<modsnip>
Bringing this over from the vaccination thread. We’re kind of heading off the the rails here. :eek:

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

The WHO, the CDC, government, the medical and scientific community are all encouraging vaccination and masks in order to get this ghastly world-wide pandemic under control.

Websleuths is doing it's part in that regard, and since Covid started, it has been Tricia's policy that Websleuths will not allow anti-vax or anti-mask sentiment or debate surrounding those issues.
BBM
Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Some days, I just love love love to go out to my garden to see the joy in getting dirty fingernails. This is one of those times, right now. And then I come back 6 hours later to something, and see that all has changed. ;)

eeeks... today is the day I'm doing taxes also, which was put off due to COVID. Grrrrrrr.

Some days, I just love love love to go out to my garden to see the joy in getting dirty fingernails. This is one of those times, right now. And then I come back 6 hours later to something, and see that all has changed. ;)

eeeks... today is the day I'm doing taxes also, which was put off due to COVID. Grrrrrrr.
I'll meet you in your garden. Be right there. I'll even help with taxes! :)

"Oregon State University announced on Tuesday that it will require COVID-19 vaccinations this fall for all students and employees who learn or work on-campus.

OSU is the first public university in Oregon to make such a decision. Private Oregon universities such as Lewis & Clark, University of Portland and Willamette University have made similar calls."

Oregon State University to require COVID-19 vaccines for students and employees

"Nevada’s higher education system reversed course Thursday and announced it is drafting plans to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for students coming to campuses for fall semester, with 'some limited exceptions.'

The Nevada System of Higher Education said, however, that the requirement is contingent on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration first lifting the emergency use authorization for COVID-19 vaccines."

Nevada colleges planning COVID-19 vaccine mandate for students

"Some two dozen Catholic colleges and universities have joined the growing list of institutions requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for students returning to campus this fall...

At Assumption University in Worcester, Massachusetts, Deborah Cady Melzer, dean of students, said that their commitments as a Catholic institution to the dignity of the person and to the common good pushed the administration to announce the decision in mid-April before many other colleges did....

At the Catholic University of America (CUA), president John Garvey stopped short of announcing a vaccination requirement....The university will, however, collect coronavirus immunization information from 'all members of the community' over the summer."

Catholic colleges, universities debate COVID-19 vaccine requirements

Pfizer is requesting full FDA approval. Full approval requires six month's of data, which is now possible. With full approval, mandates to require the vaccine for certain activities will be easier to pass.

Pfizer, BioNTech ask FDA for full approval of Covid-19 vaccine

"An approval could help employers decide, for example, whether to require employees get vaccinated before going back into the workplace."

"Nevada’s higher education system reversed course Thursday and announced it is drafting plans to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for students coming to campuses for fall semester, with 'some limited exceptions.'

The Nevada System of Higher Education said, however, that the requirement is contingent on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration first lifting the emergency use authorization for COVID-19 vaccines."

Nevada colleges planning COVID-19 vaccine mandate for students

Yes, we discussed this way back.

Would some places be prohibited during EUA to do such without lawsuits was discussed here over a year ago.

After EUA, I think they (governmental institutions and perhaps even private) would be shielded from such lawsuits, but some are frothing at the opportunity and $$$. I think that is why we are seeing law firms for liability suits come out like cockroaches now.... due to EAU vs. "approved" status which may not happen until next year.

And folks are seeing such law firms post such on FB etc and sharing on SM.

Glad not here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member