Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruise lines require vaccinations, tests, amid virus surge (clickondetroit.com)

MIAMI – Joel Steckler was eager for his first cruise in more than a year and a half, and he chose the ship that just two months ago became the first to accept passengers again after a long pandemic shutdown.

Steckler was fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and that was enough to resume cruising, under initial guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Now, the 63-year-old from Long Island, New York, is going to postpone the trip he had planned for Saturday amid new, tighter guidelines prompted by the delta-variant-fueled surge in cases and breakthrough infections.

“You just have to make a personal decision,” said Steckler, who takes medication that suppresses his immune system and changed his plans after consulting his doctor. “You don’t want to be in a position where you are sick on a cruise and you have to fly home or somehow get home.”...

I just saw a pulmonologist for the first time this week. I am now getting treatment for my COPD that I haven’t received in 6 years. I now have medication.

I am curious about what medications...
I have mild COPD and only have an inhaler...
So interested in what medications you have been prescribed.
(I have not been to a pulmonologist in 4 years...since a major case of pneumonia)

Did your O2 come back up with the mask off? Mine always runs at or below the level at which they tell you to go to the doctor if you have covid. I wear a mask anyway because I don't want to get or give covid.

Do you also have COPD?

Ballad Health runs out of ICU beds, plans for if hospitals need to pick who to treat first
email.svg

There are no ICU beds left in our region. Hospitals are converting post-surgery rooms to make more, and the system is ordering 50 more ventilators.

“When all those beds are full and you have more patients coming in, traumatic injuries or other things, there may be a decision that has to be made. Who gets that resource?” CEO Alan Levine explained.

This is the reality of what is happening where I live
I'm so sorry. I remember at the end of 2020 and beginning of this year when we were struggling with the same thing where I live. It's a frightening thought that a family member could be hurt in an accident or have a heart attack and there be nowhere for them to be treated.

I'm so sorry. I remember at the end of 2020 and beginning of this year when we were struggling with the same thing where I live. It's a frightening thought that a family member could be hurt in an accident or have a heart attack and there be nowhere for them to be treated.

Oh, here in FL, lots of procedures and operations are being cancelled. People need these procedures and ops....but they are getting delayed because of the Covid overrun....

Cruise lines require vaccinations, tests, amid virus surge (clickondetroit.com)

MIAMI – Joel Steckler was eager for his first cruise in more than a year and a half, and he chose the ship that just two months ago became the first to accept passengers again after a long pandemic shutdown.

Steckler was fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and that was enough to resume cruising, under initial guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Now, the 63-year-old from Long Island, New York, is going to postpone the trip he had planned for Saturday amid new, tighter guidelines prompted by the delta-variant-fueled surge in cases and breakthrough infections.

“You just have to make a personal decision,” said Steckler, who takes medication that suppresses his immune system and changed his plans after consulting his doctor. “You don’t want to be in a position where you are sick on a cruise and you have to fly home or somehow get home.”...

Good decision Joel----

100,000 more COVID deaths seen unless US changes its ways (detroitnews.com)

The U.S. is projected to see nearly 100,000 more COVID-19 deaths between now and Dec. 1, according to the nation's most closely watched forecasting model. But health experts say that toll could be cut in half if nearly everyone wore a mask in public spaces.

In other words, what the coronavirus has in store this fall depends on human behavior.

“Behavior is really going to determine if, when and how sustainably the current wave subsides,” said Lauren Ancel Meyers, director of the University of Texas COVID-19 Modeling Consortium. “We cannot stop delta in its tracks, but we can change our behavior overnight.”...

Well I could guess how this is gonna go ......

100,000 more COVID deaths seen unless US changes its ways (detroitnews.com)

The U.S. is projected to see nearly 100,000 more COVID-19 deaths between now and Dec. 1, according to the nation's most closely watched forecasting model. But health experts say that toll could be cut in half if nearly everyone wore a mask in public spaces.

In other words, what the coronavirus has in store this fall depends on human behavior.

“Behavior is really going to determine if, when and how sustainably the current wave subsides,” said Lauren Ancel Meyers, director of the University of Texas COVID-19 Modeling Consortium. “We cannot stop delta in its tracks, but we can change our behavior overnight.”...

At least 2,000 Mississippi nurses have resigned since the beginning of the year, severely straining hospitals as COVID cases multiply

"It looks heroic," Nichole Atherton, a nurse who resigned from Singing River Ocean Springs Hospital, told CNN. "But that's not what it is. It's sweaty and hard and chaotic and bloody. And it's hard to live in this every day and then go home and live a normal life.

When CNN asked Buddy Gager, nursing manager for personal care at Singing River Ocean Springs Hospital, if the state's healthcare system was reaching a breaking point, he replied, "I think we already broke."

At a news conference on Tuesday, state epidemiologist Dr. Paul Byers said Mississippi set a new record for COVID-19 deaths in one day: 111 deaths were reported, in a state with a population slightly under 3 million.

Yet at least 771 medical-surgical and 235 intensive care unit beds in the state were going unused last week due to a lack of staff to man them, according to the Mississippi Clarion-Ledger.

Lee Bond, the head of the Singing River Hospital System, told CNN that he is urging the state to use some of its $1.8 billion in COVID-19 relief funds on retention bonuses for nurses to keep them from quitting.

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves announced at the Tuesday news conference that more than 1,000 contract healthcare workers are headed to Mississippi to try and meet staffing demands in 50 of the state's hospitals. Reeves said the federal government will reimburse the state for $80 million that it will have to pay to the supplemental healthcare workers.

Sigh . . .

US coronavirus: With more than 100,000 people in the hospital with Covid-19, this August is worse than last, expert says - CNN

More than 100,000 people are hospitalized with Covid-19 in the US -- the first time that level has been reached since January -- as medical workers say they're once again struggling to treat waves of patients.

The latest figure, amid a summer surge in Covid-19 cases driven by the highly transmissible Delta variant, is also more than double what it was on the same day last year, when vaccines were not available as they are now.
Hospitals and researchers have been saying the vast majority of this year's hospitalized patients are unvaccinated. The availability of vaccines makes the current hospitalization surge tragic, Dr. Paul Offit, a member of the US Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisory committee, told CNN Wednesday.
"The numbers now ... are actually in many ways worse than last August," Offit said. "Last August, we had a fully susceptible population, (and) we didn't have a vaccine. Now, we have half the country vaccinated ... but nonetheless the numbers are worse.

More at link above.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in Australia, National Cabinet is meeting today ... there is a lot of disagreement about when Australia should open up.
It seems obvious to most that the rest of the world is struggling with their reopenings after mass vaccination.
Yet the Prime Minister and the Premier of NSW both want to open up after 70-80% have been vaccinated, no matter how many active community cases we have at the time.

Also, Qld is preparing for the long haul. A quarantine facility to be built near an airport (and just this morning, announcement of a 2nd Qld facility to be built on private land near an airport), to keep covid cases out of their communities. They aim to have one ready for December.

The national plan, previously agreed to by premiers and chief ministers, involves staged and meaningful easing of restrictions when the adult vaccination rate reaches 70 per cent, and then more at 80 per cent.
But solidarity behind the plan has been threatened by the uncontrolled outbreak in NSW which reported 1029 cases in 24 hours on Thursday, the first time any state or territory recorded 1000 or more cases in a day since the pandemic began.

Australia COVID: Still OK to reopen with high numbers, national cabinet to be told

How Queensland will go it alone on quarantine

Interesting article:
Having SARS-CoV-2 once confers much greater immunity than a vaccine—but no infection parties, please

The natural immune protection that develops after a SARS-COV-2 infection offers considerably more of a shield against the Delta variant of the pandemic coronavirus than two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to a large Israeli study that some scientists wish came with a “Don’t try this at home” label. The newly released data shows that people who once had a SARS-COV-2 infection were much less likely than vaccinated people to get Delta, develop symptoms from it, or become hospitalized with serious COVID-19.

[...]

The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and then received one dose of the messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine from Pfizer-BioNTech were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated.

[...]

“We continue to underestimate the importance of natural infection immunity… especially when [infection] is recent,” says Eric Topol, a physician-scientist at Scripps Research. “And when you bolster that with one dose of vaccine, you take it to levels you can’t possibly match with any vaccine in the world right now.”

More at link. @Lilibet and others who've had Covid, take note!

The world, as usual, makes zero sense to me. Three school districts in my area, within 20 miles of each other, each have completely different rules regarding masks.
School District 1. Everyone must wear a mask, at all times.
School District 2. No one needs to wear a mask
School District 3. Everyone who is vaccinated can go without a mask.

Where is the science and leadership in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80