CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

So one someplace knows about this case, it might be just a little detail but any detail is a piece to the puzzle. Anyone??

Is there anyone out there that attended camp when Connie did? Maybe you lived or worked in the area about that time.

Were you involved with horses? Fairs, carnivals, maybe you worked for one of the summer camps nearby.

Or maybe a family member did who is not a computer user.

Bumping to bring Connie to the top

I learned recently that they might have been an attempted abduction before Connie Smith went missing. Does anyone have any information on this in the area around the camp.

Back then, police departments connections were limited, so it is possible that there were other attempts in abductions in the northwest corner, where the states of New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut join together.

Anyone?

It's a long time ago, and memories are funny but when a family still carry the scar and hurt of missing their loved one and not knowing what happened that day. I think we need to make a point of helping to find answers.

The Northeast is a place where the cold may keep people inside, maybe someone out there is an armchair researcher or just surfing around the Internet and found this post. We need new ideas do you have any to share? I am hoping so.

Perhaps there is someone who was at Camp Sloane in 1952 when Connie was there and can help to fill in the blanks of the day. Blanks that today might make more sense with other pieces of the puzzle. Things remembered but not necessarily been given to LE back then, for any number of reasons. Now is the chance to help out, to share.

Anyone know a family member who might have gone to camp with Connie Smith July 1952? Please contact me either on this post or with a private mail. I have information but need help in putting them in the proper order.

Thanks

Has anyone ever looked at the possibility of this Jane Doe being Connie or Beverly? She was found in upstate NY, north of Rochester. The thruway (Rt 90) runs from NY just over the CT border, and goes right through Cleveland, OH, where Beverly was from. The camp where Connie was last seen is in the middle of nowhere, but you can take Rt.7 north into MA, then to Rt.90 in NY, or go west into NY then up Rt.87 to the thruway. I'm sure those were the only major roads at that time.

The only big problem is that the Jane Doe had gold fillings and Beverly had silver. But Connie could easily have had dental work done, considering her family probably had money.

Unidentified White Female
  • Located on July 31, 1988 in Irondequoit, Monroe County, New York
  • Cause of death unknown, but manner of death was homicide.
  • The victim is believed to have been deceased between 10-30 years prior to discovery,
  • Complete Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 15-20 years old (could be younger). Estimated year of birth is between 1938 and 1948.
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1-5'4"
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Not available
    [*]Dentals: Available. Significant dental restorations using gold foil at 7, 8, 9,10.
    [*]Clothing: No clothing was found in the grave. Single white button found near body.

Has anyone ever looked at the possibility of this Jane Doe being Connie or Beverly? She was found in upstate NY, north of Rochester. The thruway (Rt 90) runs from NY just over the CT border, and goes right through Cleveland, OH, where Beverly was from. The camp where Connie was last seen is in the middle of nowhere, but you can take Rt.7 north into MA, then to Rt.90 in NY, or go west into NY then up Rt.87 to the thruway. I'm sure those were the only major roads at that time.

The only big problem is that the Jane Doe had gold fillings and Beverly had silver. But Connie could easily have had dental work done, considering her family probably had money.

Yes, Bugaboo, and thank you for asking, LE has checked Connie against this Jane Doe she is not a match. While Connie did have some dental work, none of it was in gold.

Actually, Route 44 was the main thoroughfare from Providence, Rhode Island to Albany, New York, East to West. The New York state line was only a couple of miles west of where Connie made her way onto Route 44 where she walked east from the camp on her search to Lakeville, a hamlet of Salisbury, Connecticut.

Route 7 is a North to South highway developed from the old walking trails of Native Americans along the Housatonic River valley from northern Massachusetts to Long Island Sound. The tribes would walk to the shore to fish, dig clams and oysters. The shells were fashioned into a collection of beads called wampum used in numerous ways by tribes far and wide.

It is also good to note, that the area where Connie went missing is strewn with iron ore pits, hundreds of years old and mostly water filled. Train service from New York was readily available not far from Lakeville, and the area was a well known respite from New York's heat in summer.

I can not answer about Beverly however, sorry

If she was heading for Salisbury, was there any connection there? Have the other girls at the camp been questioned? If there was a fight the night before...females are violent too, and it seems that if she wasn't noticed right away, then someone else could have snuck after her.

If she was heading for Salisbury, was there any connection there? Have the other girls at the camp been questioned? If there was a fight the night before...females are violent too, and it seems that if she wasn't noticed right away, then someone else could have snuck after her.

We don't why Connie left camp or why she was heading to the town of Lakeville, she was a quarter of a mile from the town, walking on main road.

It is my understanding that the girls were questioned but together. I suspect that being together the story was all the same.

I would love to find anyone who was at camp with her, but so far no one has come forward to say they were. The camp guards their information about this incident and the names and addresses of the attendees.

It has not been reported that she had an altercation the night before she left. What has been reported is that she fell on the wooden tent platform while searching for her flashlight and hurt her hip. However, the next morning is has been said that she had gotten a bloody nose when one of her tent mates "accidentally", while sitting on an upper bunk, kick Connie in the face.

Someone familiar with this case should see if there's any alumni from the '52 season at the Facebook group or at http://camp-sloane.org/alumni.php

I am part of a summer camp group on Facebook and I know many older alumni look at these groups and post comments frequently.

Someone familiar with this case should see if there's any alumni from the '52 season at the Facebook group or at http://camp-sloane.org/alumni.php

I am part of a summer camp group on Facebook and I know many older alumni look at these groups and post comments frequently.

It is not because of the lack of trying, it has been difficult to get anyone from that time frame to respond.

It is not because of the lack of trying, it has been difficult to get anyone from that time frame to respond.

a while back maybe a few years ago i was in contact with some one from the camp a director of some sorts i started asking some questions which were being answered for me then i went on to mention something about a camp conselor who was maybe hitting on the girls i didnt say it in such words but he kinda knew where i was going with the question that was the last time i ever had contact with anyone from the camp

A new book "Clueless in New England" by Michael Dooling, is soon to be released. The book cover three very old cold cases of missing young girls. One of the stories is about Connie Smith.

I have not had the privilege of reading any of the stories, but I am excited that someone has come up with comparison of these three cases.

B&N books have it listed for anyone interested.

Could the three cases in Michael Doolings new book Clueless in New England really be connected? And does that mean there are others missing from that era that has not be noted or recorded on any websites?

Perhaps web detectives here will dive in and see if we can dig up any more missing from that time frame along that North South route and post on here for follow-up and discussion.

While Dooling's book is being released this month according to the B&N page, and I can't wait to jump into the story it would be interesting if we could bring in more cases. Who knows maybe there is a connection.

The book looks at the cases of Paula Welden, Connie Smith and Katherine Hull. Hull was the only one of the three to be found-deceased. I have looked all over for info on Katherine Hull and have come up with absolutely nothing. Can anyone shed any light on her and her case?

Katherine disappeared while hitchhiking in upstate New York - seen by at least three people. Seven years later, her skeleton was found about 5 miles away off a trail outside Pittsfield, Mass. Mass. state police identified her remains, concluded she must have gotten lost in the woods and died of exposure. The case seems to have been mis-categorized by Mass. state police. There has been nothing on the Internet about her until now.

Katherine disappeared while hitchhiking in upstate New York - seen by at least three people. Seven years later, her skeleton was found about 5 miles away off a trail outside Pittsfield, Mass. Mass. state police identified her remains, concluded she must have gotten lost in the woods and died of exposure. The case seems to have been mis-categorized by Mass. state police. There has been nothing on the Internet about her until now.

Do we need a separate thread for the Katherine Hull case?

Maybe even a thread called "Clueless in New England" whereby discussion can be brought to surface.

Of course, Michael Doolings book, Clueless in New England might just answer a lot of these things already. What say you?

I'm buying the book when it comes out. As for starting a separate thread, it's a good idea, if someone has access to newspaper archives. I'm still coming up empty handed on the Hull case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FireSun42
Back