CT CT - Janice Pockett, 7, Tolland, 26 July 1973

Pierce may or may not have taken Janice. To reach a conclusion one way or the other would require in depth research and knowledge of a number of things. Realizing that probably every serial killer is also a very skilled liar is a prerequisite to any thoughts on the matter. Pierce might have been trying to set the record straight by correctly stating that he killed Janice and buried her in a certain location. He might also have been lying for any of a number of reasons. The entire context of his confession or statement would need to be put to the test. How accurate was he on other subjects? Did he actually have knowledge of the crime that was only known to the police? Was his confession coerced? Was it given in hopes of better treatment?
Regardless of who kidnapped Janice, it is very likely that she was killed, and probably buried somewhere close to where she was last seen. What methods were used to search for her grave? Was it simply a shovel test hole or was in ground radar, or magnetic anomaly detection equipment used?

there were also a few other girls young girls in there teens who were also taken and murdered in a few towns over from janice im now looking into the possibity that the same person that took janice also murderd these other girls one of the girls i was reading about was in critical condition at the time in the hospital it was from a news paper file someone sent me i am wating to here back from them on if she made it.

(Copyright @ The Hartford Courant 1993)
"The missing persons unit of the Connecticut State Police, formed in 1985, lists in its registry only one missing-child case, the 1988 disappearance of 12-year-old Doreen Vincent.

Doreen is listed as an "endangered runaway," although that category does not rule out abduction. Shortly before her disappearance, she had moved with her father and stepmother to Wallingford from Bridgeport. Police were told she left home the evening of June 15, 1988, with money and clothing.

Wallingford police Sgt. Thomas Curran said the department made an extensive search for Vincent, both locally and in the Bridgeport-Norwalk area. "Her status now is still `missing,' " he said recently.

State police Sgt. Raymond Pyka, who heads the missing persons clearinghouse -- one of several state units set up in response to the 1984 Missing Children's Assistance Act -- said recent state budget cuts have reduced the unit, which once actively assisted in missing-child investigations, to mere record-keeping.

He recalled three other cases -- and said there may be others across the state -- in which neither the child nor a body ever was recovered:

Lisa White, 13, of Vernon, was last seen about the night of Nov. 1, 1974, along Route 83 in that town.

Janice Pockett, 7, vanished in Tolland on July 26, 1973.

Debbie Spickler, 13, of Mystic, was visiting a relative in Vernon when she disappeared from Henry Park on July 24, 1968.

"Nothing has ever been found," Pyka said. "They dropped off the face of the earth."
Tolland is next to Vernon.
Stephanie Olisky, 15 East Windsor, 7/21/75 Found on Route 5 Critical Condition. Later dies. In East Windsor. Just two towns away from Vernon.

Pattie Luce abducted and later found murdered from Vernon (1977?) Found deceased in Marlborough.

Susan Larosa abducted in 1975 from Vernon found deceased a few years later south of I 84 in Vernon.

These cases are probably the same individual."

what do u think about this

He recalled three other cases -- and said there may be others across the state -- in which neither the child nor a body ever was recovered:
Lisa White, 13, of Vernon, was last seen about the night of Nov. 1, 1974, along Route 83 in that town.
Janice Pockett, 7, vanished in Tolland on July 26, 1973.
Debbie Spickler, 13, of Mystic, was visiting a relative in Vernon when she disappeared from Henry Park on July 24, 1968.

"Nothing has ever been found," Pyka said. "They dropped off the face of the earth."
Tolland is next to Vernon.
Stephanie Olisky, 15 East Windsor, 7/21/75 Found on Route 5 Critical Condition. Later dies. In East Windsor. Just two towns away from Vernon.

Pattie Luce abducted and later found murdered from Vernon (1977?) Found deceased in Marlborough.

Susan Larosa abducted in 1975 from Vernon found deceased a few years later south of I 84 in Vernon.

These cases are probably the same individual."
what do u think about this

It would be hard to state that it IS the same perpetrator, but a preponderance of coincidences and similarities would give cause to assume that it is the same guy - at least to try to find more evidence of links. Most of the cases mentioned are not readily accessable via internet links, due to their age. A careful study of all published stories on these cases in newspaper microfilm files might provide information linking them more strongly.
Questions that I would be asking would be specifics about the wounds and injuries, and weapons/techniques that were used on the known murder victims. Also, where were they buried or dumped? If any were in remote locations, perhaps the killer used the area before and a careful search with inground radar might reveal more bodies.

on my local news station fox they had a special assignment on cold cases they talked about this one where this guy was driving on some highway and some bullet killed him or something. then they went into the janice pockett case and they talked a little about her missing how she broke away from her mother to find a butterfly and vanished. and how ct has one of the few high tech crime labs in the usa and how we have these special machines and stuff. after it was over i turned on my light near the sofa and moved to the computer desk. and a few secs later i heard the light click off it was the weirdest thing. maybe someone watching knows something,

july 26 2005 will mark the 32 ann on the disaperance of janice pockett. its so sad that 32 years and no trace of her no clues no nothing. im going to burn a candle for her on that day. and pray for her.

smile22 said:
on my local news station fox they had a special assignment on cold cases they talked about this one where this guy was driving on some highway and some bullet killed him or something. then they went into the janice pockett case and they talked a little about her missing how she broke away from her mother to find a butterfly and vanished. and how ct has one of the few high tech crime labs in the usa and how we have these special machines and stuff. after it was over i turned on my light near the sofa and moved to the computer desk. and a few secs later i heard the light click off it was the weirdest thing. maybe someone watching knows something,
Where did they get the bit about her breaking away from her mother, chasing a butterfly? I thought she disappeared while riding her bike...

shadowangel said:
Where did they get the bit about her breaking away from her mother, chasing a butterfly? I thought she disappeared while riding her bike...

I read in Newspaper Archives a small article from 1973 that mentioned Janice told her mother she was going to ride her bike around the neighborhood and look for a butterfly she hid by some rocks or logs. The "breaking away from her mother" I guess is just a figure of speech, meaning she left her mother at home to go look for the butterfly. I hadn't heard that part either before, but that is my take on it. I don't think it was a case of them walking hand in hand and Janice broke loose to look for the butterfly. All accounts I have read said she left home alone on her bike, and only in that one little article in Newspaper Archives mentioned the butterfly.

I think about Janice alot-it's been so long and no trace....

i think the news station also said something about her and her sister geting into an argument, and janice just rode off on the bike. im not sure how true that is. i know there was one person that was looked as a possible suspect, ( i think he was) beacuse he was the first one on the scene. and he had a history with asulting women or something of that nature.

just wanted to let everyone know that her 32 ann of her disaperance is comming up this july 26th im posting early since i will be on vacation that week and wont have acess to a computer. i know i will be praying for her wherever she may be. 32 years and still no answers to what happend to her or where she is. i also checked out doe and an age progression was done on her to what she would have looked like at 39

This is my forst tme posting here, but I have been reading Websleuths for a while. I am Janice's sister and I just want to thank everyone for their efforts. It is very difficult not knowing waht happened, and I very much appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

sister said:
This is my forst tme posting here, but I have been reading Websleuths for a while. I am Janice's sister and I just want to thank everyone for their efforts. It is very difficult not knowing waht happened, and I very much appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

Sister, welcome to WS. I know being here and dragging up old memories may be difficult for you. But anytime you feel up to giving us case info., correcting any misinformation, or giving new information- please feel free to do so. The more info you give, the better the ideas that may come up.
I hope that someday your sister can be found and properly returned to her family. But in the meantime, Welcome!

welcomegroup.gif

welcome sister to ws. i know it must be hard for you.. posting on here and stuff. if u want feel free to pm me im very intrested in your sisters case. im from ct and when i first started researching missing persons your sisters case was the first one i saw since i started in connecticut, her case really tuched my heart and i hope someday she can be brought home. if u havent already, read the back posts on this thread and let us know what u think on some of the stuff that was posted

alie

Sister,
I would also like to welcome you to Websleuths, and thank you for posting. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The wondering must be so hard.

Like the other posters said, if you are up to it, please feel free to share more info, or if you see mistakes, please let us know.

I've often wondered if family members, of the missing people we discuss here, read this site. Your post, and a few others recently from different cold cases, show that does happen.

As you can see, alot of us think about Janice, and hopefully soon some answers can be found. Her story has stayed with me ever since I first read about it a few years back.

Thanks again for posting, and again, welcome to this forum.

Thank you for making me feel welcome. I thought about it for a long time before deciding to post here.
What kind of information would be helpful? I have been in contact with the detective in carge of my sister's case, but not too recently. I'm not sure if he is still assigned to her case.
I know Bar Jonah is still a possible suspect, and that police (and FBI) want to eventually talk with him, but that may be awhile, until his legal issues are settled in Montana. I believe he wasn't yet 16 at the time of Janice's disappearance, but was known to drive around in a relative's car.
I also know that Charles Pierce was ruled out as a suspect despite his confession. I guess he just didn't know enough about Janice, and he had a history of making false confessions. I still wonder about him though. I believe he was was an acquaintance of someone named Wayne W. Chapman, who is in prison now I think for molesting boys in Massachussetts. I think he was possibly connected to Andy Puglisi (?).
What other info would be helpful?

Thanks again for posting, sister. Do you see any errors in our posts about Janice? We just go by what we've read but maybe you know some details, big or small?

If it isn't too hard for you, can you share what Janice was like? When I follow cases like this it helps to know more than just the vital statistics. Are you older or younger? Again, I totally understand if you aren't up to talking about stuff like this.

sister said:
Thank you for making me feel welcome. I thought about it for a long time before deciding to post here.
What kind of information would be helpful? I have been in contact with the detective in carge of my sister's case, but not too recently. I'm not sure if he is still assigned to her case.
I know Bar Jonah is still a possible suspect, and that police (and FBI) want to eventually talk with him, but that may be awhile, until his legal issues are settled in Montana. I believe he wasn't yet 16 at the time of Janice's disappearance, but was known to drive around in a relative's car.
I also know that Charles Pierce was ruled out as a suspect despite his confession. I guess he just didn't know enough about Janice, and he had a history of making false confessions. I still wonder about him though. I believe he was was an acquaintance of someone named Wayne W. Chapman, who is in prison now I think for molesting boys in Massachussetts. I think he was possibly connected to Andy Puglisi (?).
What other info would be helpful?

wyane amd charles were both linked to andy puglisi peirce lived in the area at one time and so did wayne i think they found a bloddy sock in waynes van but were unable to determine if it was andys and the sock got lost somewhere along the way

I was only 6 when Janice disappeared; she was 7. I don't remember a whole lot from that day. I do know that we went grocery shopping that day, and I remember my mother was putting away groceries and Janice and I were fighting over our new toothbrushes. Shortly after that Janice left to ride her bike up to the dirt road near our house to retrieve a butterfly she had hidden under a rock a couple of days earlier during a walk we had taken. I think it was the first time my mother ever let her go anywhere by herself. I remember going with my mother to look for Janice and seeing her bike standing up by the side of the road (the fact that it was standing up makes me think that she was probably coaxed off her bike rather than grabbed off it). I remember that I didn't realize how serious the situation was until the next day when I saw my grandfather crying.
I feel like I don't remember a lot about Janice. I wish I could remember her more. I remember we used to fight a lot. And we used to sneak into each others bedrooms at night, just to see if we could get away with it.
I think my parents thought they were protecting me by not talking about Janice a lot, or maybe they just couldn't.

Sister, thank you for sharing your memories of Janice and what you remember from that day. It gives us a whole new insight on the story. Please feel free to continue to post. As you can see, alot of us think about Janice.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back