Current Leads; Facts and Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

Just to clarify, there was a lot more that went into this. Jason Callahan's mother did not come forward until a connection between him and Grateful Doe had already been posited. I'm not sure that seeing one of the GD reconstructions and/or hearing the story was/would have been enough for this to happen. I only bring this up to emphasize the importance of greymetal's efforts and how broad and thorough they were. I'm sure that this case will become a powerful example in the future, but it would be detrimental for the "magic" of the internet to be overstated.

This is amazing. I don't believe I've run into Greymetal before, but I am however familiar with Wondergirl, and she is the one that led me back to this case. I haven't been on here in quite awhile so to stop back in and see that a social media campaign was waged, to see the effort may have played a part in finding this Doe's true identity, well that's the power of a group effort! Good job to all involved. Hoping his identity has finally been found.

As this whole process is dissected at some point in the future, I wonder if mom will state that she did see media regarding the case when it first happened and never associated it with her child. Missing persons cases are so unique in so many ways-it really is torture. You cant move on-you are always in limbo and always waiting. You are always hoping that the door will open or the phone will ring. How many parents have we seen who have kept their children's bedroom the same, celebrate Christmas with new gifts every year....in Jason Callahan's case, he walked out of legal age. No reason to believe he wouldnt walk back in. So tragic. :(

The wait for DNA results will take a few months. Could they positively ID in the meantime with dental records?

The wait for DNA results will take a few months. Could they positively ID in the meantime with dental records?

Grateful Doe had not undergone any dental work. So presuming that he is Jason Callahan, there would be no dental records to compare.

Not necessarily. My best friend has never had a cavity in her life yet she goes to the dentist for a cleaning/exam every 6 months.

They would still have x-rays on file if Jason went to the dentist. I'd love to know from Jason's mother how his teeth were and if his details fit Grateful Doe. And I'd also like to hear from his SC friends if they were aware of a tattoo. I see random comments on the FB page of people who knew him in school but no one has come forward as his friend from there. With a smile that big, he had to have friends. Where are they?

Sorry, some of my previous post belongs in Jason Callahan's thread. I'm still trying to get used to taptalk and where it is I'm responding to.

Just to clarify, there was a lot more that went into this. Jason Callahan's mother did not come forward until a connection between him and Grateful Doe had already been posited. I'm not sure that seeing one of the GD reconstructions and/or hearing the story was/would have been enough for this to happen. I only bring this up to emphasize the importance of greymetal's efforts and how broad and thorough they were. I'm sure that this case will become a powerful example in the future, but it would be detrimental for the "magic" of the internet to be overstated.

I didn't mean to make light of what Greymetal did with GD's case. Sorry if it sounded like that.

I basically think that with the internet and fancy phones and iPads and such being so prominent in today's world, you hear more about what's going on around the world. Not just around your area. That can be just as bad as it is helpful (such as it was in this case). So I definitely understand what you mean by "detrimental for the "magic" of the internet to be overstated."

My cable/satellite doesn't work so I don't watch television, at least at home. I think the folks that wired my house screwed up and the "jack" (or whatever you call it) in the "TV room" doesn't work. So I rely on websites for the news, etc.

I can't tell you how many times this has happened, and it's getting even more common.
I'll see a headline that sounds like it would be "big" news on the local TV-station site. Such as a murder spree, new laws being passed, terrible parenting, dam failure, middle school prostitution rings, Bigfoot sightings, etc.
...then, I'll click on it only to see that it happened in Oregon or Massachusetts or Belarus (I'm in Kentucky).

You kind of get jaded with all of the onslaught of info that when something important does happen near home, it doesn't have as much impact as it would if you weren't bombarded with similar stories (from far off places) all of the time.

Sorry, some of my previous post belongs in Jason Callahan's thread. I'm still trying to get used to taptalk and where it is I'm responding to.
Don't u love Tapatalk?! Makes it so much easier than logging in. If u need any help figuring the app out let me know. I use Android. The way to switch from forums is to "star" the forum and then you can find the list of subscribed forums in your main page.

I had NO idea tent girl was ID'd until I just read your post (which urged me to Google her to see if there was an update). I researched her story years ago, numerous times. So this just made my day happy, thanks :) And her case was solved by Websleuths, or so that's what I read. Wow. And people ask why we do this stuff. Well that should explain it!

Actually, it was "solved" by Todd Matthews (who is with DoeNetwork). He helped bring attention to the fact that there are so many dead people who don't have names.

With the "Tent Girl," he proved that it's possible to give them their names back. It was Barbara Ann Hackmann (Taylor). She was likely killed by her husband (George Taylor) and that may be why the Taylor is omitted on her "new" tombstone.

Amateurs solve mysteries of the unnamed dead (NBC)
...Westbrook sought information about her sister, Bobbie, who was 24 when she went missing 30 years earlier. Bobbie had married a man who worked in a carnival, and she was last seen in Lexington. She had reddish brown hair and a gap-toothed smile.

In his heart, Matthews knew.
Lori, he cried, racing into the bedroom and shaking awake his wife

"I've found her. I found Tent Girl."

Barbara Ann "Tent Girl" Hackmann (Findagrave)

Actually, it was "solved" by Todd Matthews (who is with DoeNetwork). He helped bring attention to the fact that there are so many dead people who don't have names. With "Tent Girl," he proved that it's possible to give them their names back.
I figured there was more to the story, like there always is. I had just read that in one post online. That's so cool that she was identified. Unbelievable. I'm heading more and more cold cases being solved lately. I really think Doe Network has played a huge role in so many cases.

Grateful Doe had not undergone any dental work. So presuming that he is Jason Callahan, there would be no dental records to compare.

diagnostic x-rays are standard whether or not work has been done. So if Jason Callahan ever went to a dentist...there should be x-rays. Teeth in good condition are likely the result of regular preventative treatment. Low hanging fruit IMO.

Holy friggin' smokes....I have looked at this doe and I am freaking out as I work in Champaign and frequent the Neil St. McDonald's occasionally. What does someone need me to do?

POSSIBLE LEAD #1: 'Jason' from Champaign, Illinois.

Origin of lead: Contact was made by three males who lived with a 'Jason' who matched the description of GD, after one had seen an Imgur post about The Grateful Doe.

The Facts:

From contact #1: This contact has a strong belief Jason is our GD.

Photo: http://imgur.com/R9WnPYu

- Was known to the contact in late 1994 to early 1995.
- He was living with the three informants
- He began living with the three informants in fall of 1994
- He was living with them in a house off the campus of the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
- He was younger than all three of the males living in the house, and was estimated between 17 - 18 years of age.
- He was described as a 'laid back surfer dude' from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- This is where one of the informants, G, met Jason.
- G and Jason shared one bedroom.
- Jason was NOT a student at UofI
- He was a 'major Dead Head' and would discuss The Grateful Dead frequently with a fellow housemate
- He discussed topics such as Atheism, hallucinogens, and believed he could talk to trees.
- He worked at a McDonalds near the house. It is possible it's address was; 1605 South Neil Street, Champaign, IL 61820.
- Was romantically involved with a 30 - 40 year old female manager at this location
- He 'disappeared' in mid to late winter of February 1995.
- Would frequently call 1900-RUN-DEAD (A line for fans of GD to call and be provided with information about setlists of concerts)
- He had a slight build, hair looked sun-bleached like he had 'spent plenty of time at the beach'. His hair was described to look like 'Kurt Cobain'
- His eyes were always slightly closed, and was possibly 'baked alot', it is possible he also took mushrooms.
- The newer computer image doesn't 'look like Jason, they made him look too conventional/mainstream/awake'
- He talked like a soft-spoken surfer dude, although he could get quite animated.
- There is no recollection of Jason speaking about family
- Jason's friend (contact #2), remembers the shoes identified in the GD's belongings. He states "His feet were a little bigger than mine, he only had a pair of sandals when we came back from SC. He tried to borrow some of my shoes, but most were uncomfortably small on him. I'm a 10 1/2, the info on GD says he was an 11 1/2".

From contact #2:
- The Jason I knew had wavy blond hair, the sketches make it look kind of curly or frizzy
- He was a cheerful guy, and often in a good mood
- Jason lived with contact #2's parents place for a month or two when they came from Myrtle Beach.

What needs to be done with this lead?
- We need follow ups done with areas in South Carolina surrounding, and including, Myrtle Beach. This includes enquiries for high schools, primary schools, colleges, workplaces. This can be done in person, or over the internet through Reddit, Facebook, Imgur and Craiglist.
- We need follow ups done with McDonalds in the Champaign area. This can be done online, or in person. I have had a few seperate people contact me about this. I will be chasing up with them tonight, and update as soon as I know (one via WS, one via Reddit).
- INVOLVING THE MEDIA. How do we go about doing this?

I have been posting these updates on Reddit and Imgur aswell, below are a combined list of suggestions made by users from Reddit, Imgur and WebSleuths. Having a list of them, will make them easier to cross off. If you do any of these suggestions, please mail me so I know to cross them off as done. Huge thank you to EVERYONE who proposed suggestions!

THE SUGGESTIONS:
- "If he was a music fan beyond the Grateful Dead, you could try the facebook group called Fans of Mabels. Mabels was a (now closed) music venue in Champaign (and there used to be a McDonalds a few doors down from there-not sure if it's the same one)"

- - "hey hows it going, i might be able to show this picture to some people. but im a little confused about what information your looking for?" COMPLETED: Messaged this user asking for assistance in showing the photo around Charleston. GM.

- "You might want to look into contacting GD radio programs and see if they'll run an announcement or put it on their Facebook pages, America's Most Wanted-style. Looks like there are a couple of shows originating from VA and MD as well."

- "I wonder if it's possible for to get employment records from local McDonalds locations so that you could at least get full names of any Jasons employed in the area at the time. That may be something that only law enforcement officials could do (they might need to be subpoenaed) and it might not be worth their time to do it. But if you could get that info it would really help to narrow things down and give you much more concrete information to work with."

- "It should be possible to come up with records of the business that was there, if you want to put in the research effort. McDonald's stores are often franchises, so there should be a corporate registration with information on who owned/managed the store. The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District is also quite meticulous, and may still have or be able to recover records of that store that could lead to supervisors or other staff there. On your own, voter registration records are public information, including what elections were voted in. So, if GD was over 18 and registered, people named Jason registered in Champaign County with no votes cast after the date of death should be a pretty narrow set. If you can get a little bit of interest from law enforcement personnel who can make official inquiries, that residence and employment lead could be enough to narrow down tax filings and driver's license records to candidate identities - including a lack of subsequent activity in that name following the date of death."

- "Important tip: All of the local McDonald's in C-U with the exception of the one located on Philo Road in Urbana were owned and operated by McDonald's itself (McOpCo) until the late 80s-early 90s, when they were sold to the current franchisee."

- "Some leads that could be followed: News-Gazette missing persons article? High school yearbooks at Champaign Public Library Local police"

- "You can see if the UIUC area has any groups (at bars/clubs) that were into the band back then. I'm sure he would've attended/known people from."

Holy friggin' smokes....I have looked at this doe and I am freaking out as I work in Champaign and frequent the Neil St. McDonald's occasionally. What does someone need me to do?

Probably not much, unless you can dig around finding people who may have known the Jason who lived there. If you're in McD's ask the staff if there's anyone who might remember him.

Grateful Doe died in 1995, as things stand at the moment there is a very good chance he was Jason Callahan, whose mum has (2 weeks ago) seen all the social media appeals and contacted the authorities. Awaiting DNA results.

We're all just kinda twiddling our thumbs waiting for confirmation either way... :waiting:

Cannot believe all the movement in this case! I have combed missing persons cases time and time again like so many of the other posters here searching for a name for grateful doe. I kind of new deep in my heart that he probably not been reported as missing which is why we never found him, but I though, like many others, he may have phased out of foster care . I feel very strongly that this is finally the missing piece, and now that I'm caught up here I'm going to the Jason Callahan thread!

He looks so happy, just like such a happy person. I think that's what makes this case even sadder.

Someone directed me here asking about a statement I made many years back about calling authorities and hearing they believed his family contacted authorities. I was told this actually more than one time. I called the ME's office many times back in the origin of the Doenetwork about this case, as well as LE. I was told almost every time I called the ME that they aren't allowed to talk about cases to non-officials. So I would just call and give them information on a possible match. The first time I heard this from Child Quest. The mother of the other boy who was killed used to call them a lot asking for updates and they would contact police periodically. This was about 13-14 years ago. Another time I called the ME's office to give them information on a "looking for" ad and was told they got an indigent-style call about him.

Oh wow! This is one of the cases i have always been obsessed with.. I always found the sub culture of Dead Heads very interesting and as a general rule think they are really cool people.. This case has always been extra sad to me.. Usually when i look at comparisons i don't see it...this time i really do see Jason being Grateful Doe... Dee

I used to follow this case pretty extensively a while back and sort of lost track of it over time - really amazed to read about the new lead(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53