DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024 #2

@lawofruby

NEW: Trump has filed his opposition Jack Smith’s team’s motion for limits on what Trump and his lawyers can say about witnesses and participants in the federal election interference case.

Trump—despite the Justice Department and White House’s divorcing itself from any involvement in his case—now claims “the Biden Administration” charged him and now “seeks to unconstitutionally silence” him because it is “keenly aware that it is losing that race for 2024

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 10
  • The Trump campaign walked back a claim that former President Donald Trump bought a Glock handgun in South Carolina.
  • A since-deleted video posted on social media by Trump’s spokesman, Steven Cheung, showed Trump being shown the firearm and commenting, “I want to buy one.”
  • But his campaign later told NBC News that Trump did not actually end up completing the purchase.

@lawofruby

NEW: Trump has filed his opposition Jack Smith’s team’s motion for limits on what Trump and his lawyers can say about witnesses and participants in the federal election interference case.

Trump—despite the Justice Department and White House’s divorcing itself from any involvement in his case—now claims “the Biden Administration” charged him and now “seeks to unconstitutionally silence” him because it is “keenly aware that it is losing that race for 2024
Here's a link to the full doc:

@lawofruby

The judge of all people knows the "Biden Administration" is not charging DT. This document was written to give a script to DT bullhorns to repeat so his supporters hear it and then they repeat it over and over again....even though it's not true.

Repeat lies. Same routine we've seen before.

jmo

• The Trump campaign walked back a claim that former President Donald Trump bought a Glock handgun in South Carolina.
  • A since-deleted video posted on social media by Trump’s spokesman, Steven Cheung, showed Trump being shown the firearm and commenting, “I want to buy one.”
  • But his campaign later told NBC News that Trump did not actually end up completing the purchase.

He didn't have to purchase it. The image was powerful enough, imo.

jmo

I think the image of him with the gun was meant to send a message.
And...his team had better clarify that not only didn't he purchase the gun, he didn't accept it either. bbm:

"The GCA at 18 U.S.C. § 922(n) also makes it unlawful for any person under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year to ship, transport, or receive firearms or ammunition. "

But, even so, I agree the photo was enough of a message, whether or not he kept the gun or not.

jmo

Edited to add source: Identify Prohibited Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Last edited:
from court site:

Doc # Date Filed Description
59 Sep 25, 2023 NOTICE of Filing by USA as to DONALD J. TRUMP (Attachments: # 1 Cover Sheet)(Gaston, Molly) (Entered: 09/25/2023)
Main Document Notice (Other) Attachment 1 Cover Sheet

60 Sep 25, 2023 Memorandum in Opposition by DONALD J. TRUMP re 57 Motion for Miscellaneous Relief, (Lauro, John) (Entered: 09/25/2023)
Main Document Memorandum in Opposition

link: United States v. TRUMP, 1:23-cr-00257 - CourtListener.com

I think the image of him with the gun was meant to send a message.

A quick google will find Trump mentioning numerous people who should be executed, the latest being Gen. Milley. Someone will get the message and act on it. Trump is telegraphing instructions to his loyal MAGA with his usual “plausible deniability.” Just like “Be there. Will be wild.” “Stand back and stand by” to the Proud Boys. Handling the gun is more of the same IMO.

Former Trump attorney Michael Cohen made this clear to Congress.

“Mr. Trump did not directly tell me to lie to Congress. That’s not how he operates.”

“He speaks in a code. And I understand the code because I’ve been around him for a decade.”

One of Cohen’s core arguments in his testimony is that Trump never directly told him to, say, lie to Congress because he didn’t have to: Cohen, like others who had spent years with Trump, knew exactly what Trump wanted done.

A quick google will find Trump mentioning numerous people who should be executed, the latest being Gen. Milley. Someone will get the message and act on it. Trump is telegraphing instructions to his loyal MAGA with his usual “plausible deniability.” Just like “Be there. Will be wild.” “Stand back and stand by” to the Proud Boys. Handling the gun is more of the same IMO.

“Mr. Trump did not directly tell me to lie to Congress. That’s not how he operates.”

“He speaks in a code. And I understand the code because I’ve been around him for a decade.”

One of Cohen’s core arguments in his testimony is that Trump never directly told him to, say, lie to Congress because he didn’t have to: Cohen, like others who had spent years with Trump, knew exactly what Trump wanted done.
Exactly. And, he creates an atmosphere in which is supporters soak it in. He tweets that someone should be murdered and then has a publicity photo glorifying a gun. It doesn't have to be a direct command, but his supporters get the message that violence is encouraged/accepted/expected whether it is against the General specifically or anyone who Trump doesn't like (which changes frequently so watch out if he says he likes you - chances are really good he doesn't).

jmo

He didn't have to purchase it. The image was powerful enough, imo.

jmo
I bet you sales of it increased after this. Kind of like the 80s and 90s when Princess Diana, or even today if Kate Middleton wears a certain dress/outfit ... it sells out within hours. That's influence lest there be any doubt about what he's up to and how his words or actions are able to influence potential witness' or jury pools (and his sychophants and apologists).

Get this guy to trial already.

If there is a better place for 14th amendment lawsuits to keep DT off the ballot, please let me know.

I am curious how the process will work, given each state is responsible for its own elections. So, might as well keep track.

Methodology: I simply googled the state name plus terms "trump ballot 2024." If nothing popped up, I moved on to the next state. This list of notes is not comprehensive of every detail, might include some human errors, and obviously, the info will change. I'll post the sources in a separate post as the list is long.

If you notice an error, please correct.

If I couldn't find specific info, I indicate it by "idk"

SOS = Secretary of State.

In 38 states, the SOS is responsible for elections. In the other states, it's a someone else or a board/committee, etc.

14th AMENDMENT CURRENT STATUS (from casual google search)

AL: idk

AK: Division of Elections "aware" and will consider the 14th amendment issue when necessary. Gov endorsed DT for 2024.

AZ: AZ Supreme Court decided last year the provision didn't matter because there is no federal statute to enforce it. But, Constitution outweighs state decisions. SOS is consulting legal experts to determine if Trump is eligible.

AR: Oscar Stilley, a disbarred lawyer, filed lawsuit challenging Trump's (and many other's) eligibility. Former AR gov and presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson stated Trump is disqualified under the Constitution.

CA: idk

CO: A group of voters aided by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics (CREW) filed lawsuit against SOS, challenging Trump on ballot for primary and any future election. SOS says court will resolve.

CT: SOS has not weighed in. Lawyers from SOS office reviewing election laws.

DE: idk. (SOS is not responsible for elections.)

FL: Tax attorney Lawrence Caplan filed lawsuit challenging DT's eligibility to run.

GA: SOS states challenges are attempts to short-circuit ballot box, reinforces idea the system is rigged, and denies voter opportunity to chose.

HI: idk. (SOS is not responsible for elections)

ID: idk

IL: idk (SOS not responsible for elections)

IN: idk

IA: idk

KS: idk

KY: idk

LA: idk

ME: SOS and AG announced they are analyzing DT's eligibility. Candidate deadline to get on ballot is Dec 1. Citizens then have five days to challenge.

MD: (SOS not responsible for elections) In MD, the SOS sends a list of candidates to the Board of Elections. SOS stated "the issue is under consideration" regarding who in MD has authority to keep DT off ballot. The Board of Elections Administrator says it's the SOS who has the authority.

MA: SOS will not make determination this early.

MI: SOS says arguments for disqualifications strong, but unchartered territory and U.S. Supreme Court will play a role.

MN: SOS says he doesn't have authority to remove DT from ballot but any individual can petition for removal and the issue would go to MN Supreme Court.

MS: idk

MO: SOS says it's not the role of SOS but the people of the state can make the decision.

MI: idk

NE: idk

NV: Challenging qualifications begins after candidate files for office.

NH: SOS says not seeking to remove any names but does expect challenges to DT's qualifications. A presidential candidate from TX, John Anthony Castro, filed a lawsuit to ban Trump from running.

NJ: SOS declined to comment on issue.

NM: A county commissioner was removed from office in 2022 for his involvement with J6 insurrection. He unsuccessfully appealed the NM Supreme Court decision.

NY: (SOS not responsible for elections, but a NYS Board of Elections is)

NC: (SOS not responsible for elections) Board of Elections does not comment on legal matters. There was a legal battle in 2022 to bar Rep Cawthorn from office after involvement in J6 insurrection and court ruled the 14th amendment can be used in modern times. Cawthorn lost primary.

ND: idk

OH: Two organizations, Free Speech for People and Mi Familia Vota Education, sent letter to SOS calling for DT to be barred from ballot. SOS stated, "We are not aware of any litigation related to this fringe legal theory."

OK: (SOS not responsible for elections). Republican candidate for president from TX, John Anthony Castro, filed lawsuit to bar DT from ballot. He argues that DT fundraising for J6 insurrectionists is ongoing aid to the the insurrection. DT must respond by Sept 27.

OR: Same two organizations as listed in OH sent letter to SOS. SOS had no comment.

PA: idk

RI: idk

SC (SOS not responsible for elections). Gov endorsed DT for 2024. The Republican primary, Feb 24, is the first in the south.

SD: SOS is aware of the issue, no further comment.

TN: idk

TX: idk

UT: (SOS not responsible for elections. Lt Gov is state's election officer.) Republican presidential candidate from TX, John Anthony Castro, filed lawsuit to bar DT from ballot. Lt Gov declined to comment until time to review lawsuit.

VT: SOS states SOS does not have authority to deny ballot access except if candidate does not submit required number of signatures.

VA: (SOS not responsible for elections) VA Senator Tim Kaine stated 14th amendment should be used to bar Trump.

WV: idk. Gov endorsed DT for 2024.

WI: (SOS not responsible for elections). Current mess regarding top election official. Wisconsin Senate elections committee recently voted along party lines to fire the top elections official, who was falsely accused for rigging 2020 election for Biden despite two partial re-counts, a non-partisan audit, a conservative law firm review, and several lawsuits.

WY: SOS released a statement he is against efforts to remove DT from ballot.

Washington DC: idk

Puerto Rico: Territories do not vote in presidential elections, but do vote in primaries. PR has 23 delegates to the GOP, which are counted when determining the GOP candidate (not delegates for the presidential election).

Sources in next post as this is long enough.
I missed this gag-order ruling that happened a few days ago in Colorado, for the lawsuit to keep Trump off the ballot under the 14th amendment.

The Colorado judge "issued a protective order prohibiting threats and intimidation in the case, saying the safety of those involved — including herself and her staff — was necessary as the groundbreaking litigation moves forward."

Trump's team opposed it.

"The order prohibits parties in the case from making threatening or intimidating statements."

@lawofruby

Smith's team has until Saturday to respond. The judge will then likely set oral arguments on the issue.

“Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?” kinda vibe for sure…..

Yep. And then when something does happen, he's going to be all, "I never told anyone to do this. I have no idea how they could have gotten that from what I said" JMO

Still no next court date...

Docket update- these have links in posts above.

Doc # Date Filed Description
61 Sep 27, 2023 MEMORANDUM OPINION and ORDER as to DONALD J. TRUMP denying 50 Defendant's Motion for Recusal of District Judge Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 455(a). See attached memorandum opinion and order for full details. Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 9/27/2023. (zjd)
Main Document
Order AND Memorandum Opinion

62 Sep 27, 2023 MOTION for Extension of Time to File CIPA Sect. 5 and response to ex parte notice by DONALD J. TRUMP. (Blanche, Todd) (Entered: 09/27/2023)
Main Document
Extension of Time to

link: United States v. TRUMP, 1:23-cr-00257 - CourtListener.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member