DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think NG has had a microphone thrust in her face every 5 minutes once the media discovered her name. I'm still not quite ready to suggest she had any involvement. That being said, I'm a little surprised she has spoken so much and so often. But, then again... maybe she likes the attention.

IDK if she's involved but the way she has been sharing and speaking so freely with the media makes me question how much she spoke of and shared other things about the home, their activities and possessions with others, that could've unintentionally led to the crime.

Sorry that was on a different facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/delawarebudokan?pnref=story

It is a few postings down. I am guessing this is OK to post this link since it is a public page for a business.

He was setting up a new martial arts studio. His form of martial arts was centred around swordsmanship. If NG saw him on Wednesday, and Wednesday was her day for being at the studio that week, is it possible that one of his fellow sword/stick wielding acquaintances could have gone home with him that day?

From what I've read, she volunteered at her Church, the children's schools, and community work. She was part of a fundraising committee for her daughters boarding school that was held in DC.

Maybe someone else has further information but that's all I have seen.

Rewatching vid of Nelly's interview makes me wonder: recently, has Nelly -
- bn actively involved in 'down & dirty' cleaning at S fam home or -
- bn doing less 'hands-on' work w all customers of her 'cleaning service?'

IDK if it has any bearing or relevance to injuries, deaths, arson, etc, but
how does anyone doing heavy-duty cleaning keep fingernails & manicure like hers?
Look at third vid clip below, esp from ~1min:00sec to ~ 2min:00sec.

Is she owner of service & does solely, or largely, admin-management duties,
does no in-person housework? Ok, nails & manicure survive that work.
Ditto, if she did 'less-cleaning-intense' work for S home & other homes,
e.g. errands, grocery shopping, car pool & taxi-ing for Phillip, etc.
How frequently did she personally work for S fam each wk --- 1, 3, 5 days?

May have no relevance at all. Just struck me.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html Tues. May 19, vid #3, runs 3min:53sec.
(IDK if checking online business directories re Nelly is ok)

He also seemed to agree with my theory that the POI who fled on foot likely was heading towards the New Carrollton metro station (so he would have been headed back towards DC).

As to the knife stuff, I brought up MS-13 yesterday, so you (not stmarysmead, but whoever brought it up) can also blame me for that slant if you want. Still, as Rod Wheeler pointed out in that interview, the fact remains that knives are the weapon of choice in violent crimes for many Latinos.

MS-13 gang members in the DC area are mostly Salvadoran. A quick google search will show that machetes are almost a signature in MS-13 crimes, at least in the DC area.

Not saying MS-13 was involved, or the fact that both housekeepers were Salvadoran means anything. But these are things worth considering.

ETA: I'm sure the Metropolitan police have already factored in all this stuff.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ms+13+machetes

True, except that SS felt she must have a way to get ahold of him because he told her in his voice mail to contact him.

I know what you mean though. We cant really know for sure that she did.

The thing odd about it to me was it seemed to me at least that NG was avoiding mentioning about ever communicating to him. NG mentions a lot about texts and phone calls with everyone else, and yet she doesnt mention trying to talk to the husband of her own friend who ended up being killed.

It just kind of stuck out to me but it doesnt mean anything definite.

Like others have said, it could very well be selective reporting too by news articles. So many of the articles I have read are like copies of each other with nothing really new in them.

Yes, I understand your point. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but in the voice mail that SS left for NG he says that he hopes she gets the message and asks her to inform anyone who would need to know that the housekeeper is staying over on Wednesday night. I found it odd that SS didn't specifically identify the husband as someone who NG should call. I think SS's odd phrasing, as well as the rest of the substance of what he said, was his attempt to signal trouble. The wording was odd.

If anyone ever gets into this sort of trouble. Or, any trouble for that matter:

I can share what we've taught our DD if she was ever in any kind of trouble or needed us or LE, ASAP.

We've taught her to call 911 and tap as inconspicuously as possible, the code for SOS. dot, dot, dot, dash, dash, dash, dot, dot, dot. Blah, my upper dot is not working otherwise I'd post the code properly.
Also, when questioned by the receiver of the call tap once for yes, twice for no.

We taught her a ton of other tips as well. I'd be here all day explaining of the safety stuff we have taught her.

One may think that we could have potentially created a child that was afraid of the world in general, untrusting of everyone that she did not know.
However, we always, always integrated our talks with making sure that she knew that lots of people in the world are wonderful, safe, caring and loving. We've taught her that these tips were for the people that were the opposite of what I've just written.

It was a tenuous, slippery slope for sure, when teaching these sorts of things. If were weren't careful in our discussions, we were concerned that she'd end up feeling anxious outside of the home.
I'll add too, we taught her certain safety tips at the appropriate age. Again, we wanted her to be cautious and educated but feel free to have healthy relationships with people that were not her trusted family members.

I guess we did okay because in a recent telephone call she talked about how she was going to approach these kinds of safety issues with my...
new grandbaby. YAY! :happydance:

Another tip that we've taught her was that if she were being held inside of a dwelling and LE came to the door, to blink out the SOS code with her eyes.

Even though she is all grown up with a family of her own, we still use all the safety tips we taught her while growing up.

We got lucky. She is absolutely a remarkable woman.

One of her best friends is a 92 year old African American gentleman who tells her stories that have been both sad and uplifting. He also taught her how to play gin rummy. At the time of this post, she has yet to beat him. She loves him and so do I. He is a fabulous influence in her life.

Another one of her best friends is lovely Mexican woman that she met at work. My daughter is a Doula and so is her girlfriend. Our daughter selected her to be the primary medical professional while she was in labor. She (our daughter) selected to labor at a birthing center. No Physicians, no medications and such. What a gorgeous place. It had an enormous birthing tub, all sorts of soothing natural stuff...She was able to leave three hours after giving birth.

Wow I've just noticed that I went on a tangent, sorry for that. I tend to type whatever is in my head and have a tendency to ramble.
Many apologies to moderators and members.

Additionally, please excuse my spelling and grammar errors. I think I'm going to add the sentence to my siggy line, since I type it in nearly every post I compose.

To tie my rambling post together with this particular case; I wish that this family had some sort of SOS safety precaution. It may have worked.

It's too late now but if one single positive thing can come of this tragedy maybe another family could implement safety tips for their precious family?

His wife was her employee. And she never says that she didn't have the number in all these many interviews. Only that she didn't see the voice mail till the next day.

So the maid's husband never found out she was staying the night? Wouldn't you think he would have gone there Wednesday night to look for her? A neighbor said they saw a man banging on a door. Was that him doing this on Thursday morning? Maybe he called NG and found out about the Wednesday night stay over, but it sounded like he was very worried Thursday morn when he went there, poor guy.

His wife was her employee. And she never says that she didn't have the number in all these many interviews. Only that she didn't see the voice mail till the next day.

I don't know what happened or if she had the husband's number, but if she first listened to the voice mail on Thursday morning, she may have thought that there was no point in informing anyone since the night was over.

About the dead housekeeper's husband seeming lack of responsiveness: do we know if she or he is undocumented? Or perhaps they have closed ones who are? Oftentimes when someone is undocumented, people are afraid to draw attention to themselves by calling the police.

This article indicates that her husband is a U.S. citizen:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...205826-fd84-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

After gaining legal U.S. residency through Alfaro, Figueroa flew home every year to visit her son and daughter, spending Christmas and her birthdays in January in her homeland.

ABC has layed out a time line here, all with info from NG so for what it's worth

Early Evening

Meanwhile, Gutierrez drove with Savvas Savopoulus to his new studio in Chantilly, Virginia, which he was getting ready for a new opening. He was supposed to stay there until 7 p.m. but said had to go home at 5 p.m., telling Gutierrez that he had to go home and take care of his son Phillip, who was injured in a go-kart accident, because his wife Amy was going out that night.

Much more here
http://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-mysterious-hours-leading-dc-mansion-fire-raise/story?id=31159620

ABC has layed out a time line here, all with info from NG so for what it's worth

Early Evening

Meanwhile, Gutierrez drove with Savvas Savopoulus to his new studio in Chantilly, Virginia, which he was getting ready for a new opening. He was supposed to stay there until 7 p.m. but said had to go home at 5 p.m., telling Gutierrez that he had to go home and take care of his son Phillip, who was injured in a go-kart accident, because his wife Amy was going out that night.

Much more here
http://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-mysterious-hours-leading-dc-mansion-fire-raise/story?id=31159620

I think it is possible that the intruders had entered the home around 5 pm, and made Amy call her husband and tell him it was an emergency, and he needed to come home and tell NO ONE about it, or their lives would be in danger.

Early Evening

Much more here

In that article, it says Savopoulus' mother called the housekeeper to check on her because the house was on fire and that's how the housekeeper found out about it and rushed over there. So grandma had the housekeeper's phone number too?

Curiouser and curiouser, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gentle Executive
Savvas, 46, was the President and CEO of American Iron Works, the construction company that helped build the Verizon Center sports arena. "He was a very kind man, a very gentle man," AIW Vice President of Environmental Safety and Health Robert Hodge tells PEOPLE. "He was the best person I ever worked for."

Hodge says that Savvas, a devoted father of three, always made time for his family, despite being in charge of a major business. "He was very family oriented," he says. "His family meant the world to him."

Together, they started a school called the American Institute of Welding to "help people who had lost their jobs for whatever reason get back on their feet," says Hodge.

"I am in shock," he adds. "This is such a terrible tragedy. He was so kind. A wonderful, wonderful man."

http://www.people.com/article/dc-house-fire-inside-the-investigation

What if the perp did not want to call the husband direct. Perp knows that most likely husband and VF are going to speak in spanish, maybe husband dont speak english and the perp whats to know what she saying..

Well if the perps can't understand Spanish than they are most likely not part of any Latino/Salvadoran gang, landscaping crew, any way related to the housekeeper etc etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74