DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charges have come down today per Fox5. Wint is the only suspect 20 felony charges, including first-degree murder while armed, burglary, kidnapping, extortion, arson and theft facing LWOP.

Nobody else even named as part of the investigation to date.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/93190415-story

It seems troubling that after all this time that DW is the only one charged with any connection to this. Apparently not even anyone in the Wint convoy was charged with conspiracy after the fact or anything else.

It seems troubling that after all this time that DW is the only one charged with any connection to this. Apparently not even anyone in the Wint convoy was charged with conspiracy after the fact or anything else.
The only thing I can guess (or hope) is that they have secured testimony from the people in the convoy. Unless they present evidence otherwise, I am not going to change my belief that Wint had help at the house.

Has a few more details:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...housekeeper-indicted-20-felonies-charges.html

From the article: " The grand jury in the DC Superior Court found the murders were 'especially heinous, atrocious or cruel,' the US Attorney's Office in Washington D.C. said in a statement.."

According to that article - that did get some things wrong, like saying he was caught in NY - it says LE is still looking for more suspects and that DW didn't act alone.

WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...16bed4-d5a8-11e5-be55-2cc3c1e4b76b_story.html

Nine months after the bodies of three family members and their housekeeper were found in a stately, upper Northwest Washington home that had been set on fire, federal prosecutors Wednesday indicted their sole suspect on 20 counts including first-degree murder, burglary and kidnapping.

A hearing is scheduled Friday in D.C. Superior Court.

I hope we hear something big during the hearing on Friday. Like what? I don't know. I just want to get on with this trial.

If LE is looking for more suspects I'm going to assume they are looking for anyone that provided assistance to DW before/after the crime. He had very intimate knowledge of this household in order to gain entry. How did he know where they lived? How did he get to the house? Did someone drive him to the S home? Did someone disclose information to him in terms of their daily activities? Did someone give him information pertaining to the financial records of AIW? Did someone give him information regarding the security of the house? Did someone tell him about the dogs? Did anyone help him after the crime? or during the crime? Was anyone else present doing the crime and left? I still believe DW had some assistance. The question is WHO helped him? and how many may have been involved?

This is the actual indictment:
http://archive.wusa9.com/assetpool/...Wint, Darron - Indictment - Feb. 17, 2016.pdf
I'm not up on the particularities of DC trials, but it sounds like they're charging him with murder saying that he personally committed the murders rather than with felony murder with him being part of a conspiracy. At least in other jurisdictions that has been a problem as felony murder isn't a lesser included and the defense has to be able to defend against one or the other, but maybe in DC you can try someone for murder and give the jury an option to convict them for felony murder as well. I hope I'm misunderstanding this as I think DW could get off entirely based on the evidence we've heard so far (maybe they have a lot more evidence personally tying him to the scene since the last time this was in court over the evidence).

If LE is looking for more suspects I'm going to assume they are looking for anyone that provided assistance to DW before/after the crime. How did he get to the house? Did someone drive him to the S home? Did someone disclose information to him in terms of their daily activities? Did someone give him information pertaining to the financial records of AIW? Did someone give him information regarding the security of the house? Did someone tell him about the dogs? Did anyone help him after the crime? or during the crime? Was anyone else present doing the crime and left? I still believe DW had some assistance. The question is WHO helped him? and how many may have been involved?

Without the death penalty card to throw down for a plea, I can't see what they can
possibly offer DDW to get him to talk. I hate him.

Without the death penalty card to throw down for a plea, I can't see what they can

I'm not convinced this wasn't some sort of paid hit as the indictment reinforces that whoever was involved only took the $40K, notwithstanding whoever was involved could have taken money from the safe at home as well as jewelry and valuables, but he/they only took a very specific payment and left countless money and valuables behind. I can't see DW on his own initiative only confining himself to BOA money and not the money from the safe and not taking any other valuables. If this was the case - as one of his earlier lawyers seemed to imply - where DW was just a low level functionary in the operation, they might be able to make a sweet deal for him if he'd give names to roll up the operation as well as who hired them for the job. I understand how DW could murder them for $40K, but I don't see him needlessly leaving tons of cash and valuables behind unless he was under orders from someone else. If DW was a functionary, I'm betting there's at least half a dozen others who could be charged with felony murder and as accessories.

Yep! He's a sociopath that will never talk unless it's something in it for him. This family deserves justice!

This has seemed so odd from the beginning. DW is the only one that can actually be proven to have been at the site of the murder, yet LE has always insisted that others were involved with these heinous murders.

Now the grand jury is also indicting DW only. Guess we need to be thankful for that slice of pizza that DW consumed or this case would be another one added to unsolved/cold cases.

My fear is that we get a jury that will give a much lighter charge due to hearing LE claim for so many months that others are involved. LE could never substantiate this claim, so it may place doubts in their minds over DW's involvent.

How much money was in the safe? I can't imagine they didn't tell him it was there and to take it in hope that he would go. Why didn't he take it??

Something else that I dont' think has been made clear so far is how he is supposed to have taken them hostage. The indictment references a bat and another unnamed blunt force object as well as the samurai sword as the sharp force object. Is DW supposed to have go into the house and and acquired items - like bat, sword, etc - once he was inside and if not, what weapon is he supposed to have taken them hostage with immediately after the break in? I think we've heard so far that they think he broke a window to open a door and got in that way, but that doesn't explain how he was able to do this without anyone calling the police once he was inside as there was up to three people in the house at the time and at least one of them was confined upstairs. I'm also still troubled by it still being said that he broke in at 6 PM, after AS called SS to come home from his grand opening preparation so that she could have a girls night out.

I'm not convinced this wasn't some sort of paid hit as the indictment reinforces that whoever was involved only took the $40K, notwithstanding whoever was involved could have taken money from the safe at home as well as jewelry and valuables, but he/they only took a very specific payment and left countless money and valuables behind. I can't see DW on his own initiative only confining himself to BOA money and not the money from the safe and not taking any other valuables. If this was the case - as one of his earlier lawyers seemed to imply - where DW was just a low level functionary in the operation, they might be able to make a sweet deal for him if he'd give names to roll up the operation as well as who hired them for the job. I understand how DW could murder them for $40K, but I don't see him needlessly leaving tons of cash and valuables behind unless he was under orders from someone else. If DW was a functionary, I'm betting there's at least half a dozen others who could be charged with felony murder and as accessories.

If it was a "hit" I wonder if prosecutors might be aware and just trying to prove the "suspects?"

What time is the hearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member