DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kart racing is a stepping stone to higher forms of motor sport like Formula 1 .. He may well be very serious about his motor sports, he'd also driven performance vehicles regularly for SS so the Porsche shouldn't have been a great novelty experience for him.

I agree it wouldn't be such a novelty. I was thinking whoever was driving it wasn't hot-dogging, but rather trying to put as much distance between himself and the crime scene as quickly as possible - more panic than pleasure. But I'm not a psychopath, so I can't really imagine what the perp(s) was/were thinking.

P.S. It may not have been a novelty to drive these cars, but he was certainly impressed by them enough to take photos and paste them all over social media. It's equivalent to these kids who post photos of themselves with fistfuls of cash - some of it from selling Jordans and some of it from dealing drugs - how can they not know that they are impressing some of their friends and painting targets on their own backs at the same time?! Possible W1 painted a target on SS' back.

I'm still wondering how I mean DW got to the house in the first place. I'm curious how long he was making plans to do this.

I don't think it would be that hard. Why would she assume someone who knocks at her door is there to do her harm? Even if she didn't know him, I can certainly see her opening it to see what the person wants - Jehovah's witness, lost, magazine salesman, etc. Once the door is ajar, he's inside. It wouldn't even take guile, just a trusting occupant. I'm planning to be a lot less trusting from now on - I would have totally opened my door, if only to tell them I'm not interested in whatever they're selling. :(

This guy is most experienced as a go-kart "race car driver". He has limited experience racing other cars and calling himself a race-car driver reeks of delusions of grandeur, IMHO. He has set up a number of entities in the last few years: Race Haus, J.T. Wa***** Racing and Broke Racing Club, made videos of his efforts to break into racing... He exhibits a high degree of narcissism.

You may be right. I was basing my comments on viewing just one video (the bio video) where he talks about all the good works his (then) employer did for charity (e.g. fundraising for Wounded Warriors etc.).

Having viewed more of his video's and social media I can see a narcissistic side. For example in the "RallyX action" video he says "I just want to say to my mom at home "mamma I love you - I'm not trying to kill myself - and please send me more money"

This guy is most experienced as a go-kart "race car driver". He has limited experience racing other cars and calling himself a race-car driver reeks of delusions of grandeur, IMHO. He has set up a number of entities in the last few years: Race Haus, J.T. Wa***** Racing and Broke Racing Club, made videos of his efforts to break into racing... He exhibits a high degree of narcissism.

http://www.racehausmotorsports.com/
http://www.jtwallaceracing.com/
http://www.brokeracersclub.com/

I would place money on him being involved.

Good analysis. So would I.

I don't think it would be that hard. Why would she assume someone who knocks at her door is there to do her harm? Even if she didn't know him, I can certainly see her opening it to see what the person wants - Jehovah's witness, lost, magazine salesman, etc. Once the door is ajar, he's inside. It wouldn't even take guile, just a trusting occupant. I'm planning to be a lot less trusting from now on - I would have totally opened my door, if only to tell them I'm not interested in whatever they're selling. :(
I can definetly see that happening. I wonder how he got there though? Did he travel with a gas can? Why did the assistant lie? Was he just nervous and confused or does he know more? Why did he hurt the little boy so bad? I have so many questions. Does anyone know if this will go to trial or will this be a straight to prison type of thing?

A race car driver 'wannabe' is even more likely to be a sedate road user, they are better trained than general road users and know of the dangers of variables on the streets, and have access to a track if they want to drive fast, and would not feel the need on a suburban street. It's not like their first time in a Porsche as opposed to DDW.

Really? BBM. Is there an actual basis of this or is it just your opinion? Where do you get that it was DDW in the car and it was his first time driving it? What access to a track did the driver of SS' car actually have?

JMO

http://www.racehausmotorsports.com/
http://www.jtwallaceracing.com/
http://www.brokeracersclub.com/

I would place money on him being involved.

Indeed, he does.

I think I missed something - early on in the investigation, even before NG mentioned the $40,000, there was a girl living in Florida who said she was a niece of the S family. Did anyone ever figure out how she heard about the $40,000 before MSM?

I have this crazy theory that DW was coming back for that car and they were heading down to Florida, where there are a lot of races year round. If I was going to steal a Moser, I would put it on a shipping container to China or Saudi Arabia ASAP, but I think a prime suspect had delusions that he was going to race it.

I think the Amerit trucks come with a mechanic. I don't think you can just rent one like a U-Haul. Who/How/Where did DW's clan obtain one of these trucks? Also, fleet mobile service trucks are marketed to Semi-trailer/bus/etc. companies, but I've seen similar mobile garages at race tracks.

Very interesting theory but do you mean "JW" instead of "DW"? (I'm not aware that DW was into racing cars).

It does make me wonder if the Mosler (which sold for close to half a million dollars when brand new!) was the main motive behind this crime. I can't imagine $40,000 being the motive to commit mass murder especially considering that this amount would have to be divided among the various accomplices. If it was money they were after they could make more money dealing drugs without resorting to capital crimes.

Very interesting theory but do you mean "JW" instead of "DW"? (I'm not aware that DW was into racing cars).

It does make me wonder if the Mosler (which sold for close to half a million dollars when brand new!) was the main motive behind this crime. I can't imagine $40,000 being the motive to commit mass murder especially considering that this amount would have to be divided among the various accomplices. If it was money they were after they could make more money dealing drugs instead of resorting to capital offenses.
They couldn't possibly think they would be able to go back to the house and get the car in that truck. Then again we are trying to figure out very brain damaged people here.

It does make me wonder if the Mosler (which sold for close to half a million dollars when brand new!) was the main motive behind this crime. I can't imagine $40,000 being the motive to commit mass murder especially considering that this amount would have to be divided among the various accomplices. If it was money they were after they could make more money dealing drugs instead of resorting to capital offenses.

I doubt DW was even aware of the value of the Mosler. I think he was after the $40,000 and he has done this before.

JMO

They couldn't possibly think they would be able to go back to the house and get the car in that truck. Then again we are trying to figure out very brain damaged people here.

Zero chance, the place was still a crime scene.

That truck may have been a rolling chop shop.

JMO

It does make me wonder if the Mosler (which sold for close to half a million dollars when brand new!) was the main motive behind this crime. I can't imagine $40,000 being the motive to commit mass murder especially considering that this amount would have to be divided among the various accomplices. If it was money they were after they could make more money dealing drugs without resorting to capital crimes.

My theory has DW and JW working together. I guess if the Mosler isn't missing, my theory isn't worth much! I think it's so strange that they had that Amerit truck. Depending on how much stuff was in it, there would be room to roll a car into the back for transport. I don't think DW is into racing, but he is into cars. I think DW would want the money for the car, but JW would want to race it, even if he the "deal" was that they would sell it. It's a crazy theory, because I can't imagine how anyone could think they could drive that car without drawing unwanted attention - how would they explain suddenly owning this rare car?

More news to unravel, more at the link

WASHINGTON -- D.C. police say they have released four people who were detained at the same time that the suspect in the slayings of a wealthy family was taken into custody.

Police did not identify the four people or say how long they were detained. There was no immediate word on the whereabouts of a fifth person taken into custody when Wint was.

Wint, who was tracked down by U.S. Marshals and arrested Thursday night with two other men and three women, appeared in a white jumpsuit in court Friday.

Acting District of Columbia U.S. Attorney Vincent Cohen said outside the courthouse that prosecutors' "work is not done" and that they "intend to unseal additional search warrants in the coming days."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-detained-with-d-c-mansion-murders-suspect-released/

Mansion murders: Savopoulos family’s roots partially from central Asia Minor (photos)

A family’s history rooted in Asia Minor to Chalkida to success in Washington before the senseless murder took place

George Petroheilos, a close friend of the CEO of American Iron Works, told Proto Thema: “Savvas was a very shrewd businessman with many activities, many companies and multifarious interests. Each year he offered millions of dollars to charity groups.”
Savvas and Amy had booked a sailing vacation for themselves and their three children in August and were to have visited Mykonos before their lives were cut short.
Savvas Savopoulos’ grandfather had left Prokopi, Cappadocia, in 1924 following the Asia Minor Catastrophe. He travelled through Thessaloniki to Chalkida, Evia.
Phillip Savopoulos (father of the victim) and his younger sister grew up in Chalkida before he left to study engineering at the University of Maryland. He created American Iron Works in 1948 before marrying Gale. Together they had one son, Savvas.
Savvas took over his father’s business 20 years ago after studying Law at the American University and Philosophy at Maryland. As a young child, he worked near his father and he took over the business, making it thrive while bringing in contracts worth millions of dollars. The last contract that the company had was for an office tower in Washington that was to have been the tallest of the city.
“Even though they were very rich they never took any security measures. They never had a bodyguard and would open the door of their home to whoever knocked. That’s what they did when their murderer knocked on the door.”
http://en.protothema.gr/mansion-murders-savopoulos-family-history-rooted-in-asia-minor-photos/

Nice article imo

Interesting. (Nothing new, just somewhat "substantiates" what's been discussed here)

Authorities linked what may have been two different men to Amy Savopoulos' blue Porsche 911 the day of the killings. One, "with short, well-groomed hair," was spotted driving erratically away from the crime scene. Another, wearing a dark hoodie, was videotaped carrying a bucket near where the Porsche was set on fire later that day.

From Peliman's link :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-detained-with-d-c-mansion-murders-suspect-released/

I was watching the cbs morning show and they were talking about this case. I may have misheard because my kids were having a drum circle in preparation for the upcoming parade this morning, but it sounded like they were talking about additional poi's and that they often wait for arrests so they can observe the movements and actions of those suspected to be sure they get everyone involved.

Interesting. (Nothing new, just somewhat "substantiates" what's been discussed here)

Authorities linked what may have been two different men to Amy Savopoulos' blue Porsche 911 the day of the killings. One, "with short, well-groomed hair," was spotted driving erratically away from the crime scene. Another, wearing a dark hoodie, was videotaped carrying a bucket near where the Porsche was set on fire later that day.

From Peliman's link :)

This is some more bad reporting. "Authorities" never said it was 2 different men. In fact what they said is that they think the suspect is the one seen on video running away.

and.. Savvas and Amy had also helped create American Institute of Welding for people who had lost their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member