DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That truck may have been a rolling chop shop.

JMO

That was one of my first thoughts when I read Savapoulos had expensive car collection. And the perp(s) would somehow try to disguise money/cars through conversion/chop shop. I wonder if those car(s) were part of motive(s)? Jmo/

and.. Savvas and Amy had also helped create American Institute of Welding for people who had lost their jobs.

Truly amazing people were lost, they were charitable/community oriented (from reports) and Mrs. Figueroa sounds like a wonderful person as well. Her husband must be so devastated and now these workers may lose their livelihoods if business does not carry on. No one deserves what happened to these victims. Heartbreaking.

I don't think it would be that hard. Why would she assume someone who knocks at her door is there to do her harm? Even if she didn't know him, I can certainly see her opening it to see what the person wants - Jehovah's witness, lost, magazine salesman, etc. Once the door is ajar, he's inside. It wouldn't even take guile, just a trusting occupant. I'm planning to be a lot less trusting from now on - I would have totally opened my door, if only to tell them I'm not interested in whatever they're selling. :(

Yeah. I live in one of the nicer areas of my city (which is pretty dangerous in some spots) with homes built in the same timeframe as SS's neighborhood with a sort of similar vibe (between urban and suburban), and I was approached by two guys a couple weeks ago in the early evening while I was in front of the house. They claimed they were upgrading landline-wired systems to ones withe a cellular/non-wired connection to monitoring and that they worked with my security company. They knew a lot about my security system and a lot about my neighbor's and they knew the names of everyone on the street. They even asked me what time certain people got home. My guard was up a little, but it wasn't until someone sent a message out to the neighborhood listserv about it being a scam that it occurred to me that that situation had had the potential to be dangerous rather than being a minor irritation. They easily could have come to the front door if I hadn't been out gardening. And I would have opened the door to at least tell them I wasn't interested.

That was one of my first thoughts when I read Savapulos had expensive car collection. And the perp(s) would somehow try to disguise money/cars through conversion/chop shop. I wonder if those car(s) were part of motive(s)? Jmo/

Perp drove away in the car but burned it. Sure doesn't look like a part of the motive to me.

Perp drove away in the car but burned it. Sure doesn't look like a part of the motive to me.

Of course, a conspiracy may have not gone according to original plan if there was more than one perp. And if other co-conspirators involved, it may have been part of the initial conspiracy plan to get money and the cars. Obviously, it didn't work out so well, but if others involved like a car aficionado, then it may be one of the reason(s) for the robbery/murder. But Jmo/

Another thought has entered my mind. If the one who drove the car (perhaps was/was not defendant) didn't wear a bright green vest, that car may not necessarily have been connected so strongly or at all to this case as those same bright green vests were found in the S's garage.

:moo: Another strike for "not so smart" criminal.

And/or why would he even think to wear a green vest? What profession wears a green vest, that perhaps in his mind was made to look like he was blending in? :thinking:. Why did he put it on?

I was watching the cbs morning show and they were talking about this case. I may have misheard because my kids were having a drum circle in preparation for the upcoming parade this morning, but it sounded like they were talking about additional poi's and that they often wait for arrests so they can observe the movements and actions of those suspected to be sure they get everyone involved.

:seeya: additional pois! NSA is watching you scan this page perhaps? :biggrin:

Mansion murders: Savopoulos family’s roots partially from central Asia Minor (photos)

A family’s history rooted in Asia Minor to Chalkida to success in Washington before the senseless murder took place

http://en.protothema.gr/mansion-murders-savopoulos-family-history-rooted-in-asia-minor-photos/

Nice article imo

They have it wrong about SS's father PS starting AIW. In 1948, he would have only been 5 years old. I read an article or something where SS himself said it was a 3rd generation family business.

I'm assuming, correct me if wrong, that every one of these expensive cars had its own spot in the garage. So why wasn't that blue car just set on fire at the house? I assume because it was needed as transportation back to that convenient spot.

I know that there have been reports that the man in the video is DW. But he still looks to tall and lanky to me. His build more resembles that of Witness 1.

Did Witness 1 drive SS to and from work that day? If so, did he drop him and one of the cars off just as this nightmare was beginning? I wonder if he was supposed to drive Amy wherever she was going?

DW came here at 20. The majority of his Facebook Friends are from his home country...whether they live in DC, NYC, or elsewhere. I wonder if Witness 1 has any connection at all to this community?

I'm still wondering how I mean DW got to the house in the first place. I'm curious how long he was making plans to do this.

I am wondering the same thing. How did he arrive at the home, how did he get in.
As well as what time he actually started interacting with the family members.
LE states 6 pm is the time of the kidnapping? But it is possible there were actions prior to the kidnapping?

I assume LE is verifying everything occurring on Wednesday. And since W appeared to be particularly fixated on Phillip while holding the family hostage, the child's activities that day, and the weeks and month prior are important.

Did Phillip really have a concussion? When did it occur and where? Was the school notified, at what time. When was Phillip last seen by reliable witnesses?

Amy appears to be a mother who would seek medical attention if her child had received a head injury necessitating missing school. This can be verified with local ERs and Phillip's pediatrician.

The go cart video posted here shows the children in the go carts wearing substantial helmets.
An accident severe enough to give a helmeted child a significant concussion would have been noticed by others?

I think once the timeline of events are verified, it will become clear how much prior planning would have been necessary.

This is some more bad reporting. "Authorities" never said it was 2 different men. In fact what they said is that they think the suspect is the one seen on video running away.

Can you link to where authorities said they think the suspect is the one seen on the video? Thanks! So far it, it seems to me, the authorities haven't come down definitely one way or another.

Can you link to where authorities said they think the suspect is the one seen on the video? Thanks! So far it, it seems to me, the authorities haven't come down definitely one way or another.
The Porsche was found burning in the parking lot of St. Christopher's Episcopal Church. At a banquet hall nearby, surveillance video of a person of interest in the case was captured on a security camera.

Police say Wint is the person of interest seen in the video. While he is difficult to see, police say Wint was dressed in dark clothing, including a hoodie with the hood pulled up.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Quadruple-Slaying-in-Custody-304665291.html

I think I missed something - early on in the investigation, even before NG mentioned the $40,000, there was a girl living in Florida who said she was a niece of the S family. Did anyone ever figure out how she heard about the $40,000 before MSM?

I have this crazy theory that DW was coming back for that car and they were heading down to Florida, where there are a lot of races year round. If I was going to steal a Moser, I would put it on a shipping container to China or Saudi Arabia ASAP, but I think a prime suspect had delusions that he was going to race it.

I think the Amerit trucks come with a mechanic. I don't think you can just rent one like a U-Haul. Who/How/Where did DW's clan obtain one of these trucks? Also, fleet mobile service trucks are marketed to Semi-trailer/bus/etc. companies, but I've seen similar mobile garages at race tracks.

Given that DW seems to live in his own reality, any thing is possible. And he seems able to get others to do his bidding.

The national news last week showed a brief clip of the truck in question, with the back doors open. There appeared to be some boxes, like the kind you use when moving. But they took up only a small portion of the back corner. And something that looked like a dresser, but since this is a garage on wheels, could have been a large tool box?

I've lost track of the car situation a little bit, so I apologize for any silly questions or statements.

First, LE or someone said a car is still missing, correct? If not, feel free to ignore the rest of this! Is there a news source for this? TIA. I tried to locate this, but with no luck (still on my first cup of coffee...)

Second, it seems like it is not the Mosler, Audi, Range Rover, or Porsche. The Porsche is accounted for, the Range Rover and Audi seem to be visible on the driveway, and the Mosler seems to have been in the garage still. Also, I feel like if it was one of these cars missing, LE would have released the model, color, plates, etc. and to my knowledge, that has not been done.

All that to say- I wonder if the car missing belongs to DW or someone else they think might be involved? Perhaps that is how DW or DW + others got to the house originally, and they are trying to locate this vehicle?

Just a thought...

Car isn't missing. That was bad reporting, and it was deleted from the article. All the cars are accounted for.
I don't think the suspect DW even had his own car. He reportedly took a bus to NY, and to go back, he had to pay a cabbie.

Defense spinning story - 101

[video]http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/dc-house-fire-money-motive/[/video]
I know him to be a kind, gentle, non aggressive person. Someone you wouldn't mind your grandmother going to lunch with. He's not the guy that did this. His DNA was found on a pizza that was left outside the home, and then later the pizza crust was found in a dumpster, but the murders were committed inside the home. They've got the wrong guy it's a group grope, a rush to judgement and there is a presumption of innocence that is not being mentioned by the police.

Okie Dokey Mr. Defense atty, we agree that the pizza was later in a dumpster, but that was an evidence collection dumpster for the forensics folks perhaps sir as shown in this screen cap

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/05/22/ac-pkg-field-dc-family-murder-pizza-crust-dna-lab.cnn/video/playlists/4-killed-in-d-c-mansion/
pizzabox.JPG

Car isn't missing. That was bad reporting, and it was deleted from the article. All the cars are accounted for.
I don't think the suspect DW even had his own car. He reportedly took a bus to NY, and to go back, he had to pay a cabbie.

Thanks- makes sense. I do still wonder how DW and others originally got to the house, though. Metro isn't too far away, but did him and "others" all arrive that way? I ride the Metro every day, so I am just trying to convince myself that a pack of people about to take a family hostage wouldn't take the Metro... better for my peace of mind

Interesting. (Nothing new, just somewhat "substantiates" what's been discussed here)

Authorities linked what may have been two different men to Amy Savopoulos' blue Porsche 911 the day of the killings. One, "with short, well-groomed hair," was spotted driving erratically away from the crime scene. Another, wearing a dark hoodie, was videotaped carrying a bucket near where the Porsche was set on fire later that day.

From Peliman's link :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-detained-with-d-c-mansion-murders-suspect-released/

The Porsche was found burning in the parking lot of St. Christopher's Episcopal Church. At a banquet hall nearby, surveillance video of a person of interest in the case was captured on a security camera.

Police say Wint is the person of interest seen in the video. While he is difficult to see, police say Wint was dressed in dark clothing, including a hoodie with the hood pulled up.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Quadruple-Slaying-in-Custody-304665291.html

I guess CNN and NBC can duke it out. I wonder if the different agencies involved in this investigation are all in agreement? Generally PG County (where the video was taken) and DC police work well (and often) together but I think there are some other LE groups in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon