*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he told the police his apartment was rigged with explosives.

He reportedly did. But that was after the music played for an hour in his apartment. It's sheer luck no one opened the door during that time.

Who honestly cares if he's adopted?

Do you resemble folks in your family? Eyes/ hair/risk for cancer/ stroke/ heart disease/ obesity Mental illiness identical.................If bio mom and dad have psyc history that is data in answering the WHY!

He had to realize the door may not be opened. He planned this carefully, unless he was high or crazy how did he not anticipate that maybe the door WOULDN'T be opened? Why not set the music off 30 minutes before he planned to shoot up the theater?

He thought about all the scenarios....why didn't that part go well? Why tell the police? Bravado? Hmmm....doesn't seem likely.

Well I think that part actually went well. Thankfully no one was blown up.
I wouldn't call it not going well.

We all need to remember.. he was planning this up to 4 months ago. At that time he was in school, hadn't colored his hair, and by all reports, seemed normal. I'm not sure what they were to report.

Could have been a phone call - 22 seconds -- can you come LE - check it out and if you think eval necc do so --- happens all the time its the law !

Why the heck would LE even consider coming to check on a student just because they were dropping out or dying their hair orange?

I've had several comments miss-understanding what I meant in reference to the monster getting out from the possibility of being innocent because of insanity. I do not in anyway think that this could happen. My first reference to this was a response to someone stating that he couldn't be faking because no one is that great an actor. I believe his demenor in court was an act the he was faking because HE believes that it will get him off. BTW someone made a reference that this isn't Canada. I really fail to understand the significantance of this reference. I never mentioned Canada and I'm bread born and raised in the same town somewhere in the southern United States.

Who honestly cares if he's adopted?

Do you resemble folks in your family? Eyes/ hair/risk for cancer/ stroke/ heart disease/ obesity Mental illiness identical.................If bio mom and dad have psyc history that is data in answering the WHY!

Oh I get it. If he was adopted, all the more reason to call and report him to LE.
Not only did he dye his hair and drop put, he is also adopted, right?

does anyone know if non-emergency police calls are recorded?
the initial noise complaint should have the song/loop
playing in the background.

Well I think that part actually went well. Thankfully no one was blown up.
I wouldn't call it not going well.

Yeah and I don't think it was a mistake that it didn't go off (door didn't open). He could have rigged a timer or a remote trigger, he wanted to let it be up to fate for some reason. He rigged a lot of explosives, he purchased them and researched them and thought about it carefully, if it was "pure chance", it was because he wanted it to be chance. Or perhaps he wanted someone in that building to be touched closely by the events and remember them forever as a result, knowing their life was in his hands.

He wasn't stupid!

Did I point to anyone here as not having sympathy for the victims? Of course I did not.. I am very simply expressing frustration that there are many people who are being persuaded by this mans act.. I find it disgusting and that's what I expressed.. Never at any point whatsoever did I state anything about any of my fellow members not having sympathy for victims.. I did not even reference my speaking of fellow members but rather the general population and ones that are very much sympathetic.. I'm fully aware of what the vast majority of my fellow members motive for being here is and it at no point was even referenced so is irrelevant to the entire post.

relax

Could have been a phone call - 22 seconds -- can you come LE - check it out and if you think eval necc do so --- happens all the time its the law !

Oh I'm not arguing at all that they were too busy to suggest an intervention or whatever. I was trying to say that often people aren't paying very close attention to a person's habits to notice the things we have been talking about.

does anyone know if non-emergency police calls are recorded?

It depends on the policies of the particular agency that received the call. Some places record all calls coming in. Others only record 911 calls.

Around here, most places record everything coming in, but I can't say with certainty that it is the norm everywhere.

Thats what I thought then someone here made a good point --- maybe he just laid everything out but did not like really wire it up to go till that night?

That is true!

However, he had to determine what supplies he needed...order or purchase them...then take the time to set them up (we don't know his time period, as you mentioned above)...but if he delayed completing the installation of it (to make it complete and active) - THAT was because he was logical and KNEW the consequences of what would happen, and therefore, waited until he was leaving.

Again, that shows he was planning...methodically and over a decent period of time.

IMO

Excuse me 911 I've got a student whose grades used to be quite good.. Not so much anymore.. He's the first to arrive in class every day but isn't very social at all(and never has been) a d seems to be daydreaming.. He didn't do well at all on the recent testing procedure and now he's told me he's withdrawing from the neuroscience phd program.. Could you guys come down here and evaluate him and do whatever you deem necessary for this adult male ??

Yeah and I don't think it was a mistake that it didn't go off (door didn't open). He could have rigged a timer or a remote tigger, he wanted to let it be up to fate for some reason. He rigged a lot of explosives, he purchased them and researched them and thought about it carefully, if it was "pure chance" it was because he wanted it to be.

Well I can't get into his head. Maybe he was sure somebody was going to show up. After all it was at night, the apartment building was presumably full of students, and he had loud music on for an hour.

Respectfully redacted by me.

Codswallop. Karpel is just making noise with his blow hole.
1. Negligence is found when it can be determined that something was foreseeable and that an entity or person failed in their basic duty of care. A person entering a theater, then exiting out an emergency exit, which he then props open, only to return with an arsenal, is certainly not foreseeable. Having guards at the emergency exits would be financially prohibitive and is not required, legally. Having alarms would also not be required. And alarms would just encourage kids to run around causing havoc in theaters. Alarms would not alert people that a mass murderer is approaching.
2. There has been no MSM confirmation of any kind, not even a rumor, that the coward was prescribed psych meds or under a doctor's care for mental issues. Speculation, yes, but nothing more. However, if he was, under Colorado law, his psychiatrist could be liable for his conduct if it was very clear that he posed a danger to society and the doctor was negligent in his care of the patient, such as ordering his release from a mental institution. Failing to "monitor" the patient would not render the doctor liable unless his failure to monitor was accompanied by an over act such as release from the hospital or a letter to his school stating he was stable or sane, when the doctor had not assessed him. https://litigation-essentials.lexis...cid=3B15&key=83e214567f005cf17fef909e77cd0b24
3. Please. The movie business would go under if producers of "violent" film were held liable for the conduct of anyone who claimed they acted as a result of the film. The media has been found by various court rulings (upheld by the supreme court) to have a first amendment right to express what they want and no foreseeable causal link between violent media and violent conduct has been found in these cases: http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Sanders_v._Acclaim_Entertainment

Sanders v. Acclaim Entertainment, a Colorado case, evidences that.

In the article you cite, Karpel states: “Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today.” as a justification for why such lawsuits should be filed. Well I have news for him. Someone will be held accountable. The murderer. Isn't that a novel idea? Geez Louise!!

We are not Canada. It's highly, highly unlikely. If a guy is found that ill in the U.S. he will never be released from a mental institution. But it would be a rare thing to see him found not guilty by reason of insanity at all, even if he was gibbering under the table during trial. Do you all realize how many seriously ill people are sentenced to prison? People who cannot even stay in their seat during their trial? This guy looked as sober as the judge in his recent appearance, in comparison.

Honey, you do realize that the Virginia Tech case was about their failure to warn students that an emergency was occurring, after that emergency began, even though they had time and the means to do so and it could have saved lives? Virginia Tech. was not and will not be found liable for not "responding" or "addressing" possible mental issues of the mass murderer there.

I am an attorney and I ask that you trust me on this because it is getting weary to cite all these cases and law to rebut every misconception. But schools are not guardians of the students that attend and the staff have no duty to monitor their behavior and assess them for potential mental problems. Okay? The only exception to that would be if a seriously disturbed student threatened repeatedly to harm staff or other students and the school failed to expel that student, who then harmed staff or other students. That's it. You need a clear threat and likely more than one. Odd behavior is simply not enough.

Whoa, what? Do you know how many college kids dye their hair? We do not have confirmation that this guy failed. Students drop out every day across America from difficult programs, no gun store owner stated they were "scared" by this creep (link), and the observations of the gun range owner were unknown by anyone but the gun range staff, so that behavior
does not indicate a thing unless it was made known to people in the murderer's life who may have been aware of other changes.

I mean, are you aware of how many people begin acting oddly or having extreme upheaval in their lives who do NOT then massacre a bunch of people, or even one person?

I know this is scary and we want to be able to find something that could predict what was going to happen so we can somehow avoid it in the future, but sometimes unpredictable tragedies just happen. Sometimes, evil succeeds in its mission.

Although I agree she is insane I would not support her release. Once a person goes that crazy that they kill another, especially their own children, they are like a dog gone bad, IMO and need to be locked up for life. She has reached such a level of insanity that it is unlikely she will ever be stable enough to be in a society that does not strictly monitor such persons, or remain stable enough. :twocents:

Thank you Gitana.

I agree totally with piece about strained marriage mom a nurse , dad logical, MI is hard on families, esp if a family member does not believe any of it is valid , real, impactful, painful, scary..............
headline:

Dark Knight gunman 'used police evidence bags as hand puppets during his arrest - as his mother admits she feared he was disturbed for years'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Yes - I knew - she new. Mothers know.

I knew 10 years before my daughter’s diagnosis,
but it took the Doctors that long to get it right.

I also believe that her reply on the phone was the same as what I hear a=many Moms with MI kids say.

They are afraid the phone will ring one day and _________.
I heard this so many many times from parents of MI children.

That fear she too must have had, and when that phone rang she said you have the right person.

All else that she said after was back tracking. :moo::moo::moo:

If he was in the animal kingdom he would never have seen his first birthday, just sayin. jmo

Harrowing article and, within it, this:
One major clue to what triggered Holmes actions could be his academic failure at the University of Colorado's Denver medical campus, where he was part of an elite program in neuroscience. He had just flunked part of his first-year examination and had begun the process of withdrawing.
Also:
"I see him up there," said [Stephanie] Davies, "and I'm hearing him yell at people, and then you just hear the rounds going off: Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!"

Off-camera, Davies told reporters, "He would shout, 'What are you doing? I said stand up!' And he would pick people up. I saw him stand over someone. I just see hair and him holding the shirt and -- boom."

Witnesses: Colo. suspect shouted during rampage (CBS News)

I've had several comments miss-understanding what I meant in reference to the monster getting out from the possibility of being innocent because of insanity. I do not in anyway think that this could happen. My first reference to this was a response to someone stating that he couldn't be faking because no one is that great an actor. I believe his demenor in court was an act the he was faking because HE believes that it will get him off. BTW someone made a reference that this isn't Canada. I really fail to understand the significantance of this reference. I never mentioned Canada and I'm bread born and raised in the same town somewhere in the southern United States.

Also I might be incorrect but not guilty by reason of insanity doesn't mean you go home, right? You go to an institution to spend your foreseeable future with others who are allegedly criminally insane? Jmo, that sounds pretty bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11