Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spoken with a few criminal defense attorneys and they do say they tend to compartmentalize so that they can remain objective in doing the job that they have to do. The two attorney I spoke with were both female too. I really think it will be not long before JW gets far enough removed from the bubble she's been living for the better part of five years. I don't believe this one case is indicative of who she is. MDLR and CMJA and the sheer crazy she's dealt with gives her a bit of leeway in my judgement. I do think introspective from the case will do her well.

Sure it is! She has no sense of common human decency and is a liar.

A Perryville inmate's letter of complaint to a prisoner advocate on the outside dated mid-September 2012:

"In the winter months, the heat is turned on by date rather than temperature. The heat runs full blast and the rooms get to be unbearably hot. The officers do not have the authority to turn the heat off, even if it is an unseasonably warm day. On a "warm" winter day, the room temperatures can reach the 90+ degree mark. The window cranks in most of the rooms are broken and do not open so there is no way to get any relief. This is absolutely cruel and unusual punishment.

In the summer months, the evaporative coolers or air conditioners are turned on by date rather than temperature. Some rooms have coolers, others have AC. In the early spring, the rooms are very cold. In the heat of the summer, when the humidity rises, the coolers do not work well. Once again the temperatures inside the rooms can reach the 90+ degree mark, with no way to get any relief. When the AC works, the rooms that have it are comfortable in the summer. The challenge is that they are often broken. As of this writing, the temperature outside is 113. The AC In my room and the 7 other attached rooms is not functioning at all. It has been out of service for the past 2 weeks. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I do not perspire very much. Extreme heat causes my muscles to cramp. I get very light headed and dizzy and ultimately vomit. I do not know if there is a medication of any kind of solution since I cannot seem to get to medical. Often we live in exceedingly hot, or exceedingly cold rooms with windows that do not open. Just another example of cruel and unusual punishment.

The Arizona sun can be punishing,. especially for those of us that have little or no tolerance for heat exposure. Lines for medical appointments, property pick up, state issue, and the store are often long. In the medical waiting area, shade and water are provided. Not much can be done to reduce the heat since the waiting area is outside. The wait can be several hours. The lines for property, state issue, and store are not in shaded areas. The wait is usually a couple of hours at best.

The mattresses in most of the cells are worn out. They are leaking black material of some kind. The coverings are cracked. The mattresses are thin and do not provide any kind of support or much protection from the metal bunks.

Many of the cells have cracks in the walls that leak rain water. In my cell, water seeps in only one corner so I am lucky that mine is not one of those that floods. However, in that corner mold is growing. In one of the rooms next to a shower, the mold is so bad that it is growing down the outside walls as well as the inside.

The showers leak gallons of water daily. Some of them have been leaking for years. The erosion of both the concrete and the metal support beams is clearly visible. I am not a building inspector, but I can clearly see that the iron railings and support beams are rusted clear through.

Hot water for showers is not always available. Sometimes we have no hot water for days at a time. When this happens, there is no hot water for washing the trays or kitchen utensils either. This has been an on-going challenge since I have been here (1997). Budgets were not restricted for the majority of those years so I find it difficult to understand the situation. The trays, sporks, and cups in the kitchen are frequently dirty. Dirt is actually embedded in the trays and sporks where the plastic coating has been worn away.

On 16 yard, dinner "sacks" are passed out at 5pm Monday-Friday. Breakfast starts being served at 8 or 8:30 on Saturday mornings. 15+ hours between meals. ON weekends, we are provided with breakfast and hot dinner, just two meals. The ladies from 14 yard walk to our kitchen and eat breakfast around 7am. The kitchen on 14 yard has been closed and the building has been condemned. At 5pm the ladies from 14 yard come to our kitchen once again for dinner. Our yard has dinner after all of them have left the yard. That is usually around 6:30 or so. For those that do not have money to purchase food from the store, it is a very long time between breakfast and dinner.

Adequate clothing is no longer provided. I waited over 6 months to have 2 pairs of panties that were lost in the laundry replaced. per policy, we are allowed to exchange clothing or linens once every 90 days. The challenge is that most of the time, state issue does not have the size or the items that are needed. On this unit we have been out of medium panties, small pants and medium t-shirts for months. When I tried to exchange clothing I was told sizes 3x were the only one available. I weigh 120 pounds! Incoming inmates are not provided with the policy-stated issue.

Each inmate is provided with 1 roll of toilet paper for the week and 12 sanitary napkins for the month. Further discussion of this is probably unnecessary."

Hi OB, thank you for your observations and I agree with most of what you said. I was also completely disgusted and flabbergasted by what SA had to say. I had never heard her speak before about the case or about Jodi. I did NOT expect her to live in the same delusional world Jodi does.

I don't know about the father or the siblings. The father sometimes had a disgusted-type look on his face on the days he was in court, like he couldn't believe the lies coming out of his daughter's mouth. I have not heard him speak so I can't say.

But SA showed her true self.

If Jodi had exhibited problems before, that doesn't mean we the "public" will automatically make assumpotions about the parents. WE know that sometimes parents might not realize or might not know what to do. We know that sometimes kids turn out, not how you tried to raise them. Or chose the wrong path in life despite what the parent tried to do.

She could have taken the "mental illness" approach even. That my daughter is sick, I'm so sorry for what she did. She could have said that to the Alexander family. That please accept my apology, but I still love my daughter no matter what. I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry as well for everyone involved and I'm sorry this ever happened.

Instead she went the opposite route.

Based on what I heard from Sandy, yes I would have to say that family is dysfuncitonal and has been for a long time. That doesn't excuse what Jodi did - many people grown up in dysfunctional families and the kids turn out fine, take Travis for an example.

Sandy up there reminded me of Cindy Anthony.

I was amazed at the contrast between Sandy and Cindy, and today Odin Lloyd's mom Ursula. Who was so graceful and showed so much class. And of course the contrast between them and Travis' family, siblings and aunt.

Well, if she was trying to protect herself and her husband, she sure did a horrible job of it. Does she realize she stood up in a court of law, and on the courthouse steps, in front of the entire world and made a complete and utter fool of herself? All she has accomplished is to make decent humankind everywhere despise her as much as they despise the murderer. She could've taken the high (sane) road and had the world's sympathy. But, no. SMHID

This is only my opinion about Sandy Arias and the statements she has made both inside of the courtroom and in the media.

Sandy Arias nor any other family members are in denial. They know JA better than anyone.

Sandy lies to protect herself and her husband. By lying she doesn't have to admit they knew all along when Arias was growing up she was an explosive violent powder keg. They have seen her violent ways and even admitted it to the police.

So now they paint a false picture of not only JA but themselves. It is far better for Sandy to blame the blameless dead victim than to actually blame the daughter they raised. If they told the truth then it would be revealed that they are the one who raised a child that became a stone cold killer.

And I do believe they help create the monster she became. Instead of confronting her when she violently went off the rails when she abused her mom, and her little brother,and maybe even pets while she was young, they tolerated it instead. Confronting her only made JA madder than hell. So they gave in instead of correcting her and that is why she is such a narcissist today with no feeling for others. I also believe she was born prone to be a sociopath and her environment growing up let it bloom into rage and entitlement.

Sandy paints a picture of Jodi as false as Jodi does. Sandy paints a picture of a daughter they wish Jodi had been and not the daughter they really have had to deal with who has always been mean and has been violent for a very long time way before she murdered Travis.

The truth is JA did nothing for others unless it was to her advantage somehow. She used fake niceness as a manipulation tool just like she used kinky sex. She never even finished school and always held waitress positions. While there is nothing wrong with that position... embellishing Jodi's life to make it into something it wasn't and never has been.. shows Sandy is a lot like her daughter.

So all of Sandy's lies are done to protect herself. Just like Jodi lies to protect herself from the truth.

She cant face the fact (publicly anyway) that she knows she raised a very violent abusive child. But I do believe she is very aware of it in her own thoughts and is relieved that this one daughter is out of their lives as they once knew it. I think both parents feel they are lucky to be alive themselves for Jodi is the type to also murder parents if she felt they had not towed the line like she demanded they do.

They lived because they let her get away with everything and making her feel entitled to do anything she wanted to do. IMO

I think they have liked the money they have been able to collect from the misfits and losers.

What Sandy says makes no sense. She conveniently, like her vile daughter, omits glaring truths. Travis was not seeing JA anymore since she moved away to CA and him remaining in AZ. No abused person travels 1000 miles to be with their abuser. It just doesn't happen in the real world. It only happens in the faux world the Arias' create which really doesn't exist.

Travis was in CA just two weeks earlier before he was killed and at no time did he see Arias.

Only a premeditated murderer travels that far to murder their victim with a gun and knife in their possession. And she didn't murder him because he abused her because he never did.

She murdered him for the same reason many murderers have killed. Travis wanted nothing more to do with her and that sealed his fate just like so many victims before and after him have suffered the same fate.:(

It was such a blessing to see the Alexander family smile again. I hope their lives here on out are filled with nothing but wonderful blessings. They certainly deserve no less.

IMO

Jodi is the gift that keeps on giving for her family. She's outed and exposed not only her parents, but grandparents are generational child abusers. In her super secret testimony

She told in the first trial that her family didn't know how to properly care from animals, and made a dog live outside on a chain tied to a tree. She told of her family finances and several failures of her father in owning restaurants ( the recent bankruptcy might not of been the first time), She told of her father having an illegal gun silencer, and that Bill and Sandy did coke and smoked pot before and after she was born (and a gift of coke that her dad gave as a wedding present) and ALV said that Jodi told her that Bill would call Sandy fat. There have been worst household and no one killed anyone else.

You know the lines of coke on the nightstand in Bill and Sandy's bedroom when she was four? There are lines of coke on a table up above Bobby J right shoulder in the photo that Jodi is wearing a superman t shirt - looks to be 15-17. You can always find that kernel of truth in her lies.

A Perryville inmate's letter of complaint to a prisoner advocate on the outside dated mid-September 2012:

"In the winter months, the heat is turned on by date rather than temperature. The heat runs full blast and the rooms get to be unbearably hot. The officers do not have the authority to turn the heat off, even if it is an unseasonably warm day. On a "warm" winter day, the room temperatures can reach the 90+ degree mark. The window cranks in most of the rooms are broken and do not open so there is no way to get any relief. This is absolutely cruel and unusual punishment.

In the summer months, the evaporative coolers or air conditioners are turned on by date rather than temperature. Some rooms have coolers, others have AC. In the early spring, the rooms are very cold. In the heat of the summer, when the humidity rises, the coolers do not work well. Once again the temperatures inside the rooms can reach the 90+ degree mark, with no way to get any relief. When the AC works, the rooms that have it are comfortable in the summer. The challenge is that they are often broken. As of this writing, the temperature outside is 113. The AC In my room and the 7 other attached rooms is not functioning at all. It has been out of service for the past 2 weeks. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I do not perspire very much. Extreme heat causes my muscles to cramp. I get very light headed and dizzy and ultimately vomit. I do not know if there is a medication of any kind of solution since I cannot seem to get to medical. Often we live in exceedingly hot, or exceedingly cold rooms with windows that do not open. Just another example of cruel and unusual punishment.

The Arizona sun can be punishing,. especially for those of us that have little or no tolerance for heat exposure. Lines for medical appointments, property pick up, state issue, and the store are often long. In the medical waiting area, shade and water are provided. Not much can be done to reduce the heat since the waiting area is outside. The wait can be several hours. The lines for property, state issue, and store are not in shaded areas. The wait is usually a couple of hours at best.

The mattresses in most of the cells are worn out. They are leaking black material of some kind. The coverings are cracked. The mattresses are thin and do not provide any kind of support or much protection from the metal bunks.

Many of the cells have cracks in the walls that leak rain water. In my cell, water seeps in only one corner so I am lucky that mine is not one of those that floods. However, in that corner mold is growing. In one of the rooms next to a shower, the mold is so bad that it is growing down the outside walls as well as the inside.

The showers leak gallons of water daily. Some of them have been leaking for years. The erosion of both the concrete and the metal support beams is clearly visible. I am not a building inspector, but I can clearly see that the iron railings and support beams are rusted clear through.

Hot water for showers is not always available. Sometimes we have no hot water for days at a time. When this happens, there is no hot water for washing the trays or kitchen utensils either. This has been an on-going challenge since I have been here (1997). Budgets were not restricted for the majority of those years so I find it difficult to understand the situation. The trays, sporks, and cups in the kitchen are frequently dirty. Dirt is actually embedded in the trays and sporks where the plastic coating has been worn away.

On 16 yard, dinner "sacks" are passed out at 5pm Monday-Friday. Breakfast starts being served at 8 or 8:30 on Saturday mornings. 15+ hours between meals. ON weekends, we are provided with breakfast and hot dinner, just two meals. The ladies from 14 yard walk to our kitchen and eat breakfast around 7am. The kitchen on 14 yard has been closed and the building has been condemned. At 5pm the ladies from 14 yard come to our kitchen once again for dinner. Our yard has dinner after all of them have left the yard. That is usually around 6:30 or so. For those that do not have money to purchase food from the store, it is a very long time between breakfast and dinner.

Adequate clothing is no longer provided. I waited over 6 months to have 2 pairs of panties that were lost in the laundry replaced. per policy, we are allowed to exchange clothing or linens once every 90 days. The challenge is that most of the time, state issue does not have the size or the items that are needed. On this unit we have been out of medium panties, small pants and medium t-shirts for months. When I tried to exchange clothing I was told sizes 3x were the only one available. I weigh 120 pounds! Incoming inmates are not provided with the policy-stated issue.

Each inmate is provided with 1 roll of toilet paper for the week and 12 sanitary napkins for the month. Further discussion of this is probably unnecessary."

Boo Hoo. You are in prison. SMH

I attended the hearing Monday and did a long write up on my day...if you're so inclined, it's here :

http://twoinnocents.com/2015/04/15/final-chapter-thank-you-travis-alexander/

Then I came home and crashed hard for 2 solid hours of blissful sleep.

LOVED LOVED LOVED this article. Good job! I'm so glad you wrote this. Congratulations on beginning a new chapter in your life. I was very inspired from reading your article. And I love the pictures of you with Katie Wick! I miss her on Dr Drew! You had a good view of the courtroom in your room....as you said, we all had the back view so we just got to watch JSS the whole time.

Good luck with all of your future endeavors. Thank you for following this case for us.

There are quite a few questions that I would like to have the answers to.

Will MDLR be fined or sanctioned or lose her job over the things they caught her doing?

Did ALV have perjury charges filed against her? What was the outcome?

Was Samuels really fighting for his license after he was allegedly reported to the licensing board for his flawed work that he testified to in court on JA's behalf?

Will Nurmi or Wilma face any repercussions for things they did in the trial? Filing so many motions accusing Juan of prosecutorial misconduct? Lying to the court about Juan's team deleting items from the computer?

What about the audio/voice expert who lied on the stand about all his computer work that found the *advertiser censored*, even though later he admitted that the man behind the curtain did the work?

Will juror number 17 face perjury charges for lying to the court daily by not raising her hand when asked about researching or hearing anything about the case? Would it be one for each day that she did not raise her hand? What is the fine or sentence for that?

Will we be able to see the full jacket that Sheriff Joe prepared on the vicious murderer?

Are there any others that may be prosecuted for conspiring with the murderer?

Please add your own questions that you would like to have answered and maybe someone with the resources can find an answer for us. I would like to see someone following the outcome of the people that conspired to help the destructive murderer JA.

bbm

How do you know for sure that she researched or read things about the case? (I wasn't following the re-trial as closely so don't know all the details about J17).

TBH, I agree with Nancy Grace that JSS did a lot of this but letting the trial drag on for soooooooooo long. It allowed all these issues to rise up. Or should I instead blame the whole Arizona court system for their strange timings and short days? I dunno.

If you're gonna have a 5-month long trial, with years leading up to it, and then months and months between that and another long trial, then of course there will be a lot of issues that come up.

It was all very strange.

Her interview notes were very interesting. The one thing that was implied but not explicitly covered was whether they were talking to 17 about WEIGHING the mitigators vs the aggravators, which was supposed to be the point. Yes there were a few mitigators, but their existence doesn't matter - just whether they outweighed the aggravators.

Does anyone know what 17's regular job is? It seemed she was very comfortable with all the gory pictures and maybe didn't think all that was as bad as the others did.

Yes, that's what it seemed like to me. J17 said, but these mitigators apply to Jodi Arias. However I'm sure someone on the jury would have explained to her that they have to outweigh the aggravators, right?

Oh well, too late now.

I found it very interesting what the Foreman said and I'm so glad he did the interview. The interview was so in-depth. Loved it. Fantastic look into what went on. He should be satisfied with what he and the others did, they tried, they should be proud they sacrificed so much. They did not take it lightly. He could not control J17, no one could. It was not their fault.

If J17 gave her own side, we would have greater insight into what she was thinking. But she refuses to speak. Did she not understand the directions? Was she biased from the beginning? Or maybe she really just didn't think Jodi deserved the death penalty. Who knows.

bbm

How do you know for sure that she researched or read things about the case? (I wasn't following the re-trial as closely so don't know all the details about J17).

TBH, I agree with Nancy Grace that JSS did a lot of this but letting the trial drag on for soooooooooo long. It allowed all these issues to rise up. Or should I instead blame the whole Arizona court system for their strange timings and short days? I dunno.

If you're gonna have a 5-month long trial, with years leading up to it, and then months and months between that and another long trial, then of course there will be a lot of issues that come up.

It was all very strange.

But you can't blame the Christmas Holidays, Martin Luther King Day, and Super Bowl court shutdowns on JSS or the court-system or the state of Arizona. These ones could NOT be avoided, even though posters tried to blame them on JSS, (only the SeaHawks loss...)
And we lost no jurors due to attrition, as was feared.

bsk said:
Why did you choose to cover the last name with the image of a man's genitals?

Sorry - couldn't resist!

That is so funny!! ...it was a totally unintentional, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! ;0)

Yes, that's what it seemed like to me. J17 said, but these mitigators apply to Jodi Arias. However I'm sure someone on the jury would have explained to her that they have to outweigh the aggravators, right?

Oh well, too late now.

I found it very interesting what the Foreman said and I'm so glad he did the interview. The interview was so in-depth. Loved it. Fantastic look into what went on. He should be satisfied with what he and the others did, they tried, they should be proud they sacrificed so much. They did not take it lightly. He could not control J17, no one could. It was not their fault.

If J17 gave her own side, we would have greater insight into what she was thinking. But she refuses to speak. Did she not understand the directions? Was she biased from the beginning? Or maybe she really just didn't think Jodi deserved the death penalty. Who knows.

J17 won't/wouldn't speak because she was a stealth juror and fears getting in trouble. She always had an agenda- to keep Jodi from Death, and maybe revenge against Juan for prosecuting her ex-husband. She should never have been on this jury and allowed to remain. She was not honest from the beginning. I see her like the OJ jurors in his criminal trial who wanted to be the ones to acquit him.

Time to heal and move on. This is over friend.
The one matter that is under investigation is who leaked the jurors names to the JAII site, as there were only six copies to officers of the court.

If it is any consolation to you ....so many GOOD GOOD people came together during this seven year fight for justice, lawyers, of course Mr. Martinez, Detective Flores and their staffs, reporters, bloggers, jurors who are now dear friends of the family, folks were inspired to go to law school, to begin volunteering in their towns, to be closer with their siblings. SOOOOOO many good things came out of the beautiful spirit of Travis Alexander. View attachment 73201

BBM

Nah, we'll move on when we're ready, friend.

It's human nature to be curious about things and those are some good questions and there are a lot more that could use answers.

Oh well, too late now.

J17 is probably hoping that if she refuses to speak someone might pay her to do an interview and talk..

BBM

Nah, we'll move on when we're ready, friend.

It's human nature to be curious about things and those are some good questions and there are a lot more that could use answers.

Yup! I'm sticking around for awhile. I like reveling in the stories of how horrible Perryville is. It's only been 2 days since sentencing and there's still lots of unanswered questions and info out there.

Well, if she was trying to protect herself and her husband, she sure did a horrible job of it. Does she realize she stood up in a court of law, and on the courthouse steps, in front of the entire world and made a complete and utter fool of herself? All she has accomplished is to make decent humankind everywhere despise her as much as they despise the murderer. She could've taken the high (sane) road and had the world's sympathy. But, no. SMHID

Could it be that she has forgotten those early interview tapes of hers and her husband's where there was no mention whatsoever of how awesome her daughter was, or were there protestations as in "not my beautiful souled daughter! She'd never hurt a fly!"?

We remember.

Yup! I'm sticking around for awhile. I like reveling in the stories of how horrible Perryville is. It's only been 2 days since sentencing and there's still lots of unanswered questions and info out there.

I'm with you, too many unanswered questions. I think once the "document dump" happens SOME might be answered. I also look forward to the reports of CMJA behavior from Estrella jail. I think it is highly unlikely that CMJA will behave herself, too narcissistic, too haughty for that!

Could it be that she has forgotten those early interview tapes of hers and her husband's where there was no mention whatsoever of how awesome her daughter was, or were there protestations as in "not my beautiful souled daughter! She'd never hurt a fly!"?

We remember.

I've wondered if JA authored her mother's speech.

Her interview notes were very interesting. The one thing that was implied but not explicitly covered was whether they were talking to 17 about WEIGHING the mitigators vs the aggravators, which was supposed to be the point. Yes there were a few mitigators, but their existence doesn't matter - just whether they outweighed the aggravators.

Does anyone know what 17's regular job is? It seemed she was very comfortable with all the gory pictures and maybe didn't think all that was as bad as the others did.

I think she works for an insurance company...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname