DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see when the numbers for Body 5 show up, hoping for some good results on that end.
The Spreadsheet still says “Update in progress”, I wonder if it means that Victim 5 and Rohnert Park JD will be added, or there are other changes forthcoming

The Spreadsheet still says “Update in progress”, I wonder if it means that Victim 5 and Rohnert Park JD will be added, or there are other changes forthcoming
I have a feeling it was just left over

St Croix Jane Doe (MI), Box Mike (AZ), Matilda Ottawa (MI), Jenny Ottawa (MI) are now in active research! I hope the website will be updated soon ❤️

St Croix Jane Doe (MI), Box Mike (AZ), Matilda Ottawa (MI), Jenny Ottawa (MI) are now in active research! I hope the website will be updated soon ❤️
Wow I’m surprised Jenny made research the first time with the age of her remains!

Vernon co Jane Doe has a new kit as well, with the new highest match of 62.3 cM

It'll sure be interesting to see the admixture reports for all of the new cases. Hopefully some quick solves in here!

Such a nice reconstruction, you are truly talented! I have also seen your Harper Jane Doe reconstruction, it is amazing.

Thanks so much. If you have any suggestions for recreations, I will be more than happy to work on them.

Thanks so much. If you have any suggestions for recreations, I will be more than happy to work on them.
Would you be able to do one for Van Buren Co. John Doe (2010) or Mecklenburg Co. Jane Doe (2011)?

It'll sure be interesting to see the admixture reports for all of the new cases. Hopefully some quick solves in here!
I wonder why Redondo JD has so few matches.. She has less than 2000 matches, it is similar to Berrien co JD (Betty), Broadway St Phoenix JD or Summit co JD, so they all are underrepresented in Gedmatch, because they or their parents immigrated to USA in XX century.

I am also interested about St Croix JD, as she is listed as possibly Asian.

I wonder why Redondo JD has so few matches.. She has less than 2000 matches, it is similar to Berrien co JD (Betty), Broadway St Phoenix JD or Summit co JD, so they all are underrepresented in Gedmatch, because they or their parents immigrated to USA in XX century.

I am also interested about St Croix JD, as she is listed as possibly Asian.
Yeah, especially given how Christy Crystal Creek turned out not to be Asian, should be interesting to see if that estimation was ultimately accurate.

Would you be able to do one for Van Buren Co. John Doe (2010) or Mecklenburg Co. Jane Doe (2011)?

I will work on both. I got a new computer specifically for graphics, once I set it up, I hope to be able to make more life like images.

Genealogy sites lack diverse DNA, struggle to ID people of color | WOODTV.com

Genealogy sites lack diverse DNA, struggle to ID people of color
Susan Samples 20 hours ago
COVERT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — When Michigan State Police began submitting DNA from unidentified remains for genealogy testing, the agency was elated by how quickly the process achieved results.

“We knew she was a white female, but we didn’t know who she was,” Lt. Scott Ernstes with Michigan State Police said about the remains found on October 12, 1988, in Van Buren County’s Covert Township.

“Within six weeks, we had her identified. She was from Oklahoma. And with the other 2010 case out of Wayland, same thing. White male, (and) we had it identified very quickly,” Ernstes said

But that wasn’t the case when it came to three other sets of unidentified remains found over three decades in Covert Township.

17351_84562.jpg

A rendering of what a man whose remains were found in 1979 may have looked like (courtesy)
“It was quite shocking that (the genealogy testing) was taking so long,” recalled Ernstes.

“That’s where conversations with DNA Doe (Project) came in. They said, ‘this is why. The populations you’re looking for are underrepresented in the system,'” he said.

In the three Covert Township cases for which no DNA family-tree connection emerged, the unidentified remains were those of two men of Hispanic or Latino origin — both victims of homicide — and one man of Asian descent believed to have drowned in Lake Michigan
In 1979, the remains of one of those men was found in a debris pile, charred beyond recognition.

He was a Hispanic man, early to middle age. He wore a religious medallion with Spanish writing on the back that translated to “our lady of Guadalupe – pray for us.”

A rendering of what a man whose remains were found in 2010 may have looked like (courtesy)
Despite police efforts, including a clay reconstruction, the case remains unsolved. In 2018, MSP submitted the details to a national missing persons database, and in 2019, the man’s DNA to a public database
But the remains have yet to be identified.

Neither have the remains of the Asian man found in 2010, or the Hispanic man found in 1987 in the woods.

Margaret Press, Co-founder and CEO of DNA Doe Project, told News 8 there are many reasons genealogy databases include fewer DNA samples from people of Latino or Hispanic descent, as well as black, indigenous and people of color (BIPOC).
Press, who was careful to note she didn’t want to speak for any group, said her impression is that it’s often a question of “economics and mistrust,” at least in the United States.

“In (America) particularly, it’s partly a matter of economics. Testing costs money. So, people who are economically disadvantaged are not likely to test,” Press said. “Those often impact African Americans and Hispanics more than Caucasian — European — people. So there tends to be a bias in the database because of the economics associated with testing, and, again, distrust. “

Press also noted that DNA-testing itself is predominantly U.S.-based
We have the big testing companies, Ancestry, Family Tree DNA and 23andMe, and it’s been marketed to the U.S. It’s only been marketed to a few countries outside,” explained Press.

“There are different countries where, culturally, people just aren’t interested. They feel they’ve got great records. They feel they know who they are,” Press said.

Ernstes hopes more people with diverse origins will begin submitting DNA to public genealogy databases.
He also hopes they will check the box that allows police agencies to access their DNA sample and potentially use it to solve a cold case — giving someone’s family the answers they desperately seek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77