DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing is that apparently there is an Ancient/Paleo-DNA lab that does extraction at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, which was used for the Babes in the Wood, according to the press conference. I wonder if we might see more cases being sent there if that is eventually successful. Hopefully there may be some unannounced cases being worked by Othram, Identifinders, Parabon as well or in the DDP pipeline

Wow, interesting! When you mentioned the Ancient/Paleo-DNA lab it reminded me the series "The Bones" where it is also Forensic Archeology/Anthropology Lab which helps LEs solve the cases. Hopefully the Canadian LEs will start using forensic genealogy more, as they can see now the success it has in the US.

There was a film production company that produced a documentary detailing the exhumation of this UID (caution PM pic: Albert Johnson (criminal) - Wikipedia) back in the 2000s - late last year they had a page up suggesting they were doing FGG with Othram, but it's doesn't seem to be up anymore. It is a pretty intriguing (almost legendary in some areas) case that I'd love to see solved. And then there is Septic Tank Sam in Alberta; I wouldn't be surprised if that one is getting worked on already.

May be Othram can confirm if they are still working on Albert Johnson case. Wow, that's an old one, sequencing must be not easy in this case.
I have although thought about Septic Tank Sam, hopefully, somebody is working on him already, till now DDP has taken only on Ontario cases, but who knows, may be Othram or Identifiers.

Well there's two others listed on NamUs currently.

Child - Dixon - 2013
Man - St. Robert - 1992
Hopefully DDP will take St. Robert JD, Pulaski co JD was their only case from Missouri.

In regards to the international cases, I have read that Australian authorities exhumed Somerton Man but I don't remember if they will use Forensic Genealogy or they will just compare his DNA to some potential relatives, it is the most famous Australian case and I do not think that Australia has any case solved by the forensic genealogy

We actually operate quite extensively in Canada, but unfortunately, we can't confirm involvement in any specific case. We are working on several though.

There should be updates on at least some of the cases coming in the next several weeks.

Hopefully DDP will take St. Robert JD, Pulaski co JD was their only case from Missouri.

In regards to the international cases, I have read that Australian authorities exhumed Somerton Man but I don't remember if they will use Forensic Genealogy or they will just compare his DNA to some potential relatives, it is the most famous Australian case and I do not think that Australia has any case solved by the forensic genealogy
Colleen Fitzpatrick has been involved with that one in the past, but not sure if she will be involved with the upcoming investigation. From what I gather from multiple news articles describing "what's next?" in the case, it sounds like they will go the genetic genealogy route, so it should be interesting.

Based on the forensics, this is what Gregg Co Jane Doe would have looked like. Looking at her family's genealogy, there is a lot of family members marrying immediate family members.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-231621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210529-231621_Gallery.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 26
The DDP has announced the additional fund rising for Maury co Jane Doe. It looks like a tough case
Maury County Jane Doe 1975 - DNA Doe Project Cases

I think maybe they don't add Lilydale Jane Doe and Ramsey Co Jane Doe (MN) NamUs because they do not have reconstructions and they the DDP are preparing images that reflect where they were found. Not sure about Rohnert Park John Doe though

Last edited:
Based on the forensics, this is what Gregg Co Jane Doe would have looked like. Looking at her family's genealogy, there is a lot of family members marrying immediate family members.
Such a nice reconstruction, you are truly talented! I have also seen your Harper Jane Doe reconstruction, it is amazing.

I find it interesting, didn’t the spreadsheet say Mrs. Knippers’ DNA was never uploaded to FTDNA? I wonder if they just said that since it seemed to be a really fast ID once it was there, and if there’s other cases like that as well.

Also on Facebook it appears they’re taking interest in possibly identifying victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921, however Tulsa doesn’t seem to have reached back to them yet
There is a comment from the DDP under this post, it makes it more clear:

Thank you, Ciara! If we are selected, part of our proposal includes providing free DNA kits to as many descendants or surviving family with missing relatives as we can. The genetic genealogy work will take a long time. Those who might be related to the victims (even 3rd cousins or more) could be helping now by at least building out family trees where possible. If you’ve already tested, you could upload to GEDmatch and FTDNA, but we always caution you to read the Terms of Service to be sure you’re comfortable with them, and if unexpected results would upset you, please don’t test. If we’re not selected, we want whomever is to have all the help they can get. If we are, I hope you will get in touch with us!

There is a comment from the DDP under this post, it makes it more clear:

Thank you, Ciara! If we are selected, part of our proposal includes providing free DNA kits to as many descendants or surviving family with missing relatives as we can. The genetic genealogy work will take a long time. Those who might be related to the victims (even 3rd cousins or more) could be helping now by at least building out family trees where possible. If you’ve already tested, you could upload to GEDmatch and FTDNA, but we always caution you to read the Terms of Service to be sure you’re comfortable with them, and if unexpected results would upset you, please don’t test. If we’re not selected, we want whomever is to have all the help they can get. If we are, I hope you will get in touch with us!
Wow, new update, I hope China Black has been identified now! She has very promising matches!

FC023995-8673-448E-B6F5-4F17D8456744.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members