DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering why it takes so long in Mercer Island John Doe case, his Namus was removed months ago, I dont think his death was criminal.

Also there is hope Jonespot John Doe has been identified/the DDP is close to identify him

Phoenix, AZ – A man who had been unidentified since he was found in the area of Central Avenue and West Monroe St. in downtown Phoenix on October 19, 2004 has been identified as Frank R Beck, originally from Pennsylvania. Beck’s injuries suggested that he had fallen from a tall building, and investigators at the time were unable to establish his identity. Earlier this year investigators from the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s office brought the case to the DNA Doe Project to use investigative genetic genealogy to determine his identity by researching his genetic family tree.

Frank R. Beck, age 57 at the time of his death, had experienced homelessness in his later years and had lived in Arizona since the 1990s. One of the few early clues investigators had to his identity was a surgical implant indicating he had experienced a serious injury and surgery on his right ankle. They were unable to trace the implant, and the investigation went cold for nearly 18 years until this summer.

The DNA Doe Project has partnered with local agencies on 15 cases in Arizona, including four that are in active research, four that have been solved, and others that are in various stages of the lab and research pipeline. This case was assigned to DNA Doe Project’s first summer apprentice program where 8 apprentice genetic genealogists worked under the supervision of experienced lead volunteers to learn and practice the techniques used by the DNA Doe Project on an actual case. “Thanks to our excellent relationship with Phoenix Police Department and The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office, we were able to restore the name of this former John Doe and advance the field of investigative genetic genealogy by using this case for an education initiative,” said Director of Education and Development, Cairenn Binder.

Nadine Ashcroft, one of the participants in the program said, “When (our) team began work on the family tree for this John Doe, we noticed one of his parents had recent Scottish ancestry whilst the other had significant German ancestry.”

Team member Cynthia Gabbard added, “It has been so rewarding to see all of the pieces of the puzzle come together. Every match that we added to the tree helped come to the final result. I’m so honored to be a part of this team that has given this man his identity back.”

“By following potential patterns of X-DNA inheritance, we focused in on a particular family group,” said Ashcroft. “It’s incredible, that moment when you realize the relevant family has been identified.”

Cairenn Binder, who designed the apprentice program, emphasized, “It is of great importance to teach not only the skills that are required to practice IGG, but also the ethical values involved in this work and importance of partnership and teamwork with law enforcement. Our team thanks Detective Stuart Somershoe and Sr Medicolegal Death Investigator Christen Eggers for their trust of our organization and their continuous advocacy for the unidentified.”

The DNA Doe Project wishes to acknowledge the contributions of the groups and individuals who helped solve this case: the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office, who entrusted the case to the DNA Doe Project; Genologue, LLC for extraction of DNA from blood and whole-genome sequencing; Kevin Lord of Saber Investigations for bioinformatics; GEDmatch Pro and FTDNA for providing their databases; our generous donors who contributed to this case; and DDP’s dedicated teams of volunteer investigative genetic genealogists who work tirelessly to bring victims home, including participants in DDP’s inaugural apprenticeship program.

New article about Frank’s identification. There are more. I worked in an association which helped homeless. The circumstances of every individual are heartbreaking.

Last edited:
A new case from Alaska is already in the active genealogical research! The very first case from this state. I can not find the thread

Also in the comments to the post about the new case from Alaska, they accept suggestions for future cases, it looks like they now contact law enforcement to offer their assistance in the identification

Interesting. I have suggestions, but moreso regarding Alaska cases. I added most I could find from NamUs and all the cases seemed to be those of finding long-dead remains with very little information.

Also how does one go about suggesting a case?

Interesting. I have suggestions, but moreso regarding Alaska cases. I added most I could find from NamUs and all the cases seemed to be those of finding long-dead remains with very little information.

Also how does one go about suggesting a case?
The post says to write a suggestion in a comment to the post, but I think you can send them a private message if you prefer it! Here is what the post says:

Is there a case in your neck of the woods we should look into? Share the details in your comment and we'll add it to our list of cases to pursue as resources become available.

Last edited:
I'm typically not on facebook too often, would someone be able to comment and submit Morrill County John Doe for their consideration?

I talked to the investigator for it a few years back and he actually handles multiple counties due to the low volume of work, but he said he didn't have time to look further into it himself at the time because of other obligations but he seemed interested. Maybe the DDP can solve it for him as a donate case.

Development about Kenosha John Doe case

Efforts continued in 2018 when the KCMEO partnered with the DNA Doe Project in hopes of identifying the man.

While the identity of the 1993 John Doe has not been determined, advanced genetic genealogy has detailed that the decedent is of Native American descent, with family possibly being from Keshena, Shawano, Langlade, Calumet, or Waupaca areas.
Investigators also determined the male descendant has relatives from the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin. KCMEO and the DNA Doe Project teams continue to work to give 1993 John Doe his name back. Anyone with interest should contact the Pleasant Prairie Police Department at 262.694.7353.

This thread is now closed. Click below to continue the discussion in Thread #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa