DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Information & Discussion' started by MelmothTheLost, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

Suglo, Al Ka and Gardener1850 like this.
  2. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

I missed one case! :confused:
    Adding to the 'Pending' section:

Portland Jane Doe (ME) - At lab. Passed QC, ready for sequencing.
    ME - ME - Portland, AsianFem UP15135, 30-50, in Fore River, tattooed brows, May'15

3. Friday Fan

Friday Fan Active Member

I feel that "healthy" UIDs have a greater chance of being ID'd than people's whose bodies indicate they were estranged from society. This is because I think GEDMatch has the most potential for UIDs (more than solving crimes) Millions of people take DNA tests (most of them middle class) Many UID's, families try to report their loved ones missing, but police let the file go after awhile...or the body was found in a different jurisdiction. In 1990, we had a mom of three children go missing. Her body was found in the next county. The body was taken to our county for autopsy. No one made the connection. She was buried as a UID in the next county. For years for family searched for her. Her twin sister created a huge billboard, "Find Lupita Cantu" 20 yrs later, they made the connection. Anyway, this shows the twists and turns that goes on with these UIDs. All UIDs need to be ID'd, but it will be easier if they have family connections.

wary likes this.
  4. leilarose68

leilarose68 Well-Known Member

New post today 2/17/19:

"Hi Gang,

If anyone is in the Baltimore area, please let me know. I am heading out this morning for the American Academy of Forensic Science annual conference at the Baltimore Convention Center. I would love to meet up with any of you who are in the area. There are a few forensic genealogists who attend regularly and we are planning to have a get together one evening.

I believe the exhibit hall is free, so you can walk around and see all the cool DNA stuff that is out there. Check the program for details for the exhibit hall and to register. There are a lot of cool talks on a variety of subjects, especially in the evening. Check out the searchable version of the advance program at

https://www.aafs.org/…/uploads/2019_AAFS_Advance_Program.pdf

I am giving a talk on Thursday evening for the Last Word Society.

Check it out!

Colleen"

5. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

Here. Whatever you can make of it.

Finnis, Saami, and Fennoscandian DNA

My understanding is, Sami are outliers because they did not mix much, and are closer to Siberians; however, the Finns are an ethnic group that carries Sami admixture, too. So Sami DNA can be met both in a Sami and in a Finn. Also, possibly, in a Siberian Russian and Alaskan Inuit.

Who were Siberians is a question of its own, as many small ethnic groups do not exist any longer, having dissolved in a bigger Russian ethnos. But originally, they were considered Eurasian, closer to Asian by looks.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Suglo likes this.
  6. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

Colleen Fitzpatrick did an interview with Grey Hughes about the recent GED Match changes:

Mrs. Badcrumble and leilarose68 like this.
  7. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

Adding to this... the most recent edition of Eurovision (the huge song contest where over 40 countries compete in a grand show) teamed up with MyHeritage and some of the singers took DNA tests. One of the members of the group from Norway, KEiiNO, is Sami. His mix according to MyHeritage was 61% Finnish, 27.7% Scandinavian, 8.4% Inuit and 2.6% central Asian. Compared to a lot of Sami he was fairly mixed (I think one of his parents is white Finnish rather than Sami) but that gives you an idea. I think probably 'Central Asian' is Russian Siberian. His two group mates were almost totally Finnish in comparison.

Some 'exotic' mixes can be hard to pinpoint. One of those who also took a test was the singer from Hungary, who is from the travelling community (what used to be called 'gypsies'). He was a mix of so many places! 33.5% South Asian, 30% Greek, 12% Baltic, 11.5% Sardinian, and then 13% made up of smaller ones - Iberian, Middle Eastern (the Syrian and Saudi areas) Eastern European, and Inuit. Makes me wonder what DNA Doe project would think looking at a DNA profile like that. I doubt anyone would think he's from Hungary. DNA is a tricky, tricky thing.

A little disappointed to hear about the new opt in system. I wonder how many will really say yes to that... might put a spanner in the works. The work of DNA Doe project is so important but all the public really see is the media headlines, they don't read further into it and the idea of their DNA being helpful to solve crime might scare them away.

Gardener1850, wary and Suglo like this.
  8. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

An Interview with the DNA Doe Project – Identifying the Unknown Through Genetic Genealogy (ISHI News):

j_in_c, Liv27 and Suglo like this.