Don McLean arrested on a domestic violence charge

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by bluesneakers, Jan 18, 2016.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Well-Known Member

‘American Pie’ singer Don McLean charged with domestic violence assault

Officials say he was arrested at his Camden home early Monday morning and was released from jail after posting $10,000 bail.

The article says it's unclear whether or not his wife and children were home, which I guess means no one is sure who the victim is.

Of all the people I would never expect to be arrested for dv charges.

2. Loading...

3. bluesneakers

Don McLean's Wife Is Granted a Temporary Protection Order Against Him

Released on bail, didn't enter a plea, due back in court on February 22nd.

He tweeted about this today, including:
    I may never recover from this but I will try and hope to continue to entertain you all as I always have.

He may never recover. What a thing to say.

More of his tweets are at the link.

I know abusers can be deceptive and manipulative, but he wrote one of my all-time favorite songs - Vincent - and it's hard to accept someone who made such a tender tribute to an artist is capable of being violent and cruel.

4. desertmama

desertmama Member

When I read stories like this about older men who become threatening and violent, I wonder if it's an early sign of dementia. My dad is in the late stages, but a few years before it became obvious and he was diagnosed, he had moments when he would become irrationaly angry and threaten violence. It was so completely unlike him and was very frightening.

5. AlwaysShocked

AlwaysShocked Active Member

From what his wife is saying this has been going on for many years. And, yes, I believe her story.

6. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

I've got to wonder if this could have been avoided if he'd been charged for torture after the first 3 minutes of "American Pie".

7. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

This is heartbreaking for all concerned. We just never know what goes on behind closed doors, do we?

Quoting Don McLean:
    I hope his wife understands that breaking up with an abuser is a very dangerous time and that restraining orders are worth very little. May this relationship end peacefully.

8. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

Not sure what to believe as far as what the miss's is saying but it is only half of the story, I am reminded of what others have said to me over the years about their spouses only to find out it was not true, so we'll see.

buddy holly, richie valens, and the big bopper, ( j p richardson) died in a plane crash in 1959. Their loss and what they meant to don was the reason for American pie. jmo

9. bluesneakers

I do too.

10. bluesneakers

I hope she does too. The time after leaving an abuser is a dangerous one and McLean has more money, power, and influence than the regular Joe. I hope she finds away to stay safe.

JMO

11. desertmama

desertmama Member

I didn't know it had been going on for years. Of course I believe her, too. I hope she's safe.

12. bluesneakers

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-patrisha-restraining-order-domestic-violence

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/don-mclean-tweets-recover-arrest-article-1.2504603

13. bluesneakers

"I want to strangle you so bad."

Strangling is the most lethal form of domestic violence. I can't say for sure, obviously, but I think she knew he meant he would kill her. I'm not saying he actually WAS going to, just pointing out "I'm going to strangle you" can mean "I'm going to kill you."

14. rtjedarling

rtjedarling New Member

I do like his Vincent song, though.

15. 4senthia

4senthia New Member

I am so sorry to hear this news.
    I believe her.
    Been there, done that years ago.
    It's never okay to hit someone unless it is in self-defense. Never.
    She is finally doing the right thing for herself as well as for her children and anyone else who might become subject to his rage.
    The "strangle" comment was very telling.
    Be safe Ms McLean!
    jmo

16. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

17. bluesneakers

Except for the charges.

"Neither party is seeking divorce. This now becomes a private matter between two very talented people," said lawyer Walter F. McKee."

18. AlwaysShocked

AlwaysShocked Active Member

I sure hope Mrs. McLean realizes that she is in continuing danger from this man. I am hoping this is just an attempt on her part to co-operate in reducing media scrutiny of the incident. May she privately get as far away from him as possible!

19. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Agreed. While the wives of celebrities have more resources, I have to think that they also have some additional vulnerabilities, in terms of what they have to lose -- and it's not just financial losses at play. Many celeb wives have a lot of their identity tied up with being famous, being the spouse of a famous person, and their friends are often in circles of the famous and well to do -- and they'll often side with the star in a break-up. So, while I'm not going to say that it's harder for someone like her to make a clean break, I can't be sure that it's much easier, even given her wealth relative to most people.

20. Lilibet

A college cancels McLean's appearance at their fundraiser in April.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article57176093.html

21. Lilibet

I'm struggling with this quote in the same article. McLean's attorney is stating that McLean is essentially calling his wife a liar.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/201...agree-dismiss-protection-order-case/79282414/

She, on the other hand, doesn't retract the words in her protection request, but says that the events don't define their marriage. Doesn't it bother her to be called a liar? Then she asks us to focus on the joy he and his music have given us? Is this typical of abuse victims? She sounds controlled and I wonder what is really going on. JMO

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/25/don-mclean-wife-dismiss-protection-order