Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted but it is a video of a great debate between two doctors yesterday....

One of the doctors starts yelling to shut his opponent up and not let him "panic the public" when the other doctor expresses sensible concerns regarding travel etc....

The debate was not confidence inspiring. Watch video here:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/38354836...bola-/?playlist_id=930909755001#sp=show-clips

Media is slaughtering this nurse , who was helping, who is suffering, in pain and in all liklihood will die. Congress is on 6 week vacation , before they start their 6 wkks holiday break.

They wil call in a 1.1 billion bill for Ebola .

IMO watch how this plays out......................

Not sure if this has been posted but it is a video of a great debate between two doctors yesterday....

One of the doctors starts yelling to shut his opponent up and not let him "panic the public" when the other doctor expresses sensible concerns regarding travel etc....

The debate was not confidence inspiring. Watch video here:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/38354836...bola-/?playlist_id=930909755001#sp=show-clips

I think the ' don't panic the public' is FOREMOST in what most of the authorities and leading experts are saying about this. I believe that is the single most important goal.
Panicked people do not go to work, go to school, go to nfl games, go to starbucks, go buy clothes, go out and socialize and SPEND $$$$! Keep us calm, nothing to see here folks, go out and buy you some lotto tickets and cream puffs !

I think the ' don't panic the public' is FOREMOST in what most of the authorities and leading experts are saying about this. I believe that is the single most important goal.
Panicked people do not go to work, go to school, go to nfl games, go to starbucks, go buy clothes, go out and socialize and SPEND $$$$! Keep us calm, nothing to see here folks, go out and buy you some lotto tickets and cream puffs !

When they act like we are all "ignorant children that shouldn't be told the facts" that makes a LOT of folks nervous.

Sheesh this doctor was comparing it to Malaria! There is NO comparison at all! Malaria does NOT spread in the U.S and it is easily TREATABLE! He trusts that the majority of people are so ignorant they will accept his comparison as brilliant.

There is absolutely no reason why the average American Joe CANNOT safely do any and all of those things.

There is cause for concern - we need to get a handle on this in Western Africa. But there actually is no current need for panic.

There is absolutely no reason why the average American Joe CANNOT safely do any and all of those things.

There is cause for concern - we need to get a handle on this in Western Africa. But there actually is no current need for panic.

I agree with you , in theory, but you know if people panicked , nationwide, they would stay home. Think anthrax. I lost my babysitter over anthrax ! She refused to take my kids any more because she thought an anthrax letter might come to her house..... clearly irrational, but whipped up into a frenzy by media.

Media is slaughtering this nurse , who was helping, who is suffering, in pain and in all liklihood will die. Congress is on 6 week vacation , before they start their 6 wkks holiday break.

They wil call in a 1.1 billion bill for Ebola .

IMO watch how this plays out......................

Can you provide a link to how the media is "slaughtering" this nurse? All I have seen are articles showing her beautiful smile and concern about her prognosis, in addition to wondering if she made a mistake in protocol, which as a very good nurse I can assure you is possible. ALL nurses make mistakes. If she did, there is NO shame in it, and if this possibility is mentioned, that is not "slaughter," but simply realism. Of course, it could also have been an error completely out of her hands, so any media outlet which claims to know for sure that she erred is making unsubstantiated statements.

I will also say: I saw an article about this nurse right next to an article which was titled "Duncan relative says no one at the hospital tried to help him." I confess that for a moment I was absolutely livid. Right, because "no one" tried to help him, at least one nurse that we know of has contracted his illness. It took me a while to calm down from that one.

I too have not seen anyone go after this nurse. Not the media, and I don't think Frieden did either when he said there had to have been a breach of protocol. Saying that there was a "breach of protocol" is NOT a moral judgement. It's not "throwing someone under the bus". It's just saying that somewhere along the line, either human error/fatigue/lapse or equipment failure or something went wrong. Everyone feels for this young woman, the Spanish nurse, and all the healthcare workers who have fallen ill. We all know that anything humans undertake is always at risk for error. I have seen no blame or disparagement - merely a statement that a breach happened, and acknowledgement that they need to find out what that breach was - presumably so it can be avoided in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you , in theory, but you know if people panicked , nationwide, they would stay home. Think anthrax. I lost my babysitter over anthrax ! She refused to take my kids any more because she thought an anthrax letter might come to her house..... clearly irrational, but whipped up into a frenzy by media.

Yes the anthrax thing scared a lot of people, and prior to that the Y2K had a lot of folks freaked out. I really think that the media needs to NOT jump on every possible case - at least not until the person is cleared perhaps. After all, prior to august/sept, the CDC fielded more than a few "possibles" that we never heard about - now suddenly with everyone on edge already we are hearing about every sniffle or sneeze. It's not going to help if they keep reporting every scare. :sigh:

By the way, everyone please get your flu shot/H1N1 shot! Or one of us on this forum is going to end up posting from an isolation unit sometime this fall/winter when they had the misfortune of coughing on a plane/train/or public place! :crazy:

Also you will help keep down the number of people visiting already busy ERs and clinics! :)

Translating from this article - Nurse Romero continues to be in serious but stable condition. All of her contacts remain isolated and asymptomatic.

Edit to add more (it's hard bouncing back and forth on mobile/tapatalk): she is also generating antibodies and her viral load has decreased. Her age and strong immune system are helping her.

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2014/10/13/actualidad/1413187914_399828.html

You and your kids might be lucky that she didn't want to babysit anymore that is too crazy.

The University of Kansas Hospital reports an individual called and then came into the hospital early Monday morning with a high fever and other serious symptoms.

Because the patient had recently worked on a medical boat off the west coast of Africa, the patient was immediately isolated on a special infectious disease unit and is undergoing tests.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/26...ola?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels